Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Re: An Important Note to Our Valued Commenters from Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I had gotten the impression that there would be less diavlogs and yes a new comment section and a redesign, but I didn't expect the forum to be shut down. I'm ok with Disqus for the main page and the comments below the videos. I have nothing against that, but why should it affect the forum? That was not made clear. In fact, what we got is pretty much just as many diavlogs (if not more).
At the very least, Bob should have gotten his ducks in a row before he made his big announcement. How many diavlogs does it take to say that because of financial and logistical reasons the way bhTV operates is going to change significantly and here's how? He had three and still people came away confused.

Hemming and hawing is not productive or attractive but Bob does seem to do a lot of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Falling on deaf ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
At the very least, Bob should have gotten his ducks in a row before he made his big announcement. How many diavlogs does it take to say that because of financial and logistical reasons the way bhTV operates is going to change significantly and here's how? He had three and still people came away confused.

Hemming and hawing is not productive or attractive but Bob does seem to do a lot of it.
This! You offered a perfect encapsulation of the observable record.

He is a great interviewer, a fine writer, a thought provoking ideas man ... but the hemming and hawing manifest as whiny and irresolute. He's in desperate need of a producer or consultant. Having yes men sidekicks has not served him well. Evidenced by the reluctant Aryeh --who never quite sold the "yes Bob" routine-- to the eager new promoter JimM47. If only he'd listen to us badhat?

Please Bob, forever swear off commenter courts or klatches or any more extemporaneous offerings of your ideal vision of bhtv.

P.S. Disqus is a symptom as much as a disease.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I had gotten the impression that there would be less diavlogs and yes a new comment section and a redesign, but I didn't expect the forum to be shut down. I'm ok with Disqus for the main page and the comments below the videos. I have nothing against that, but why should it affect the forum? That was not made clear. In fact, what we got is pretty much just as many diavlogs (if not more).
I thought it was unclear what would happen with the forum, but in fact -- unless I missed something -- the forum hasn't been shut down.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Stephanie said:
Quote:
The format is such that ongoing conversations about past diavlogs won't happen. The most recent one will get some feedback until the next one comes (or soon thereafter). With fewer diavlogs and the desire that all get comments, I strongly believe this is a benefit in the eyes of those who run the site. It also makes meaningful discussion unlikely to occur.
The disqus format is okay for a commenter with my short statement style, but I big-time saw the limitations of it when Ocean was commenting yesterday. Following the posts became like a dizzying merry-go-round.

But the bigger problem is the quoted. In the past, vlogs were like little jewels that could be savored by visiting them, referring to them, or linking to them from cached dingalinks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
I thought it was unclear what would happen with the forum, but in fact -- unless I missed something -- the forum hasn't been shut down.
So why not let us run topic discussions here for each new diavlog without worrying about the bridge to the front page?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
I big-time saw the limitations of it when Ocean was commenting yesterday. Following the posts became like a dizzying merry-go-round.
Yes, I read through that after the fact, and it definitely demonstrated the limits. Really a shame.

The new format also makes it impossible to continue discussions or for new people to jump in after the fact (saving me some time today, I shouldn't complain). :-)

I think it would be beneficial to all -- assuming Bob doesn't want this forum to die and sees some credit to him and the site from the best discussions -- for there to be a way to continue discussions on the thread that go beyond the diavlog and into the topic or just go into the topic in great depth. Something like when it gets impossible to reply any more that it's acceptable to take it to this forum and a run-off thread. IMO, Bob et al. are just concerned that there are comments upfront. As long as how we use this forum isn't a competitor that interferes with that, I doubt they have an interest in 100 post long threads or discussions which continue well-past the posting of new diavlogs.

I doubt anyone from TPTB are reading here, but I think it would be worth talking through these issues and what we'd like and then presenting Bob et al. with a proposal that we think also serves his needs, as expressed.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I think it would be beneficial to all -- assuming Bob doesn't want this forum to die and sees some credit to him and the site from the best discussions -- for there to be a way to continue discussions on the thread that go beyond the diavlog and into the topic or just go into the topic in great depth. Something like when it gets impossible to reply any more that it's acceptable to take it to this forum and a run-off thread. IMO, Bob et al. are just concerned that there are comments upfront. As long as how we use this forum isn't a competitor that interferes with that, I doubt they have an interest in 100 post long threads or discussions which continue well-past the posting of new diavlogs
Agreed. It would be nice to simply switch here after the ninth level has been reached, but failing that, maybe after the DV falls off the main page (right-hand column) it could become fair game.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Yes, I read through that after the fact, and it definitely demonstrated the limits. Really a shame.

The new format also makes it impossible to continue discussions or for new people to jump in after the fact (saving me some time today, I shouldn't complain). :-)

I think it would be beneficial to all -- assuming Bob doesn't want this forum to die and sees some credit to him and the site from the best discussions -- for there to be a way to continue discussions on the thread that go beyond the diavlog and into the topic or just go into the topic in great depth. Something like when it gets impossible to reply any more that it's acceptable to take it to this forum and a run-off thread. IMO, Bob et al. are just concerned that there are comments upfront. As long as how we use this forum isn't a competitor that interferes with that, I doubt they have an interest in 100 post long threads or discussions which continue well-past the posting of new diavlogs.

I doubt anyone from TPTB are reading here, but I think it would be worth talking through these issues and what we'd like and then presenting Bob et al. with a proposal that we think also serves his needs, as expressed.
What's TPTB?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
What's TPTB?
The powers that be. Just a shorthand way of referring to whoever the decision makers are, same as "Bob et al."
Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Falling on deaf ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
This! You offered a perfect encapsulation of the observable record.
I think...I might...just faint.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
I think...I might...just faint.
Strange New Respect!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM

It seems there has already been a burst of new activity. My words of caution would be they seem to be very election focused, and largely Paulites. I question whether they can go the distance.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
I was feeling so good and then you mentioned David Frum.