Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Santa Ana Winds Edition

I don't think Mickey is an idiot, but I completely agree that the Ayers thing should be a non-issue. As a young (ish) Brit I have to say that I do not know much about the Weather Underground, but it seems from the little I know that there is a massive material difference between Bill Ayers and Osama Bin Laden.

Firstly, Bill Ayers may have used some questionable techniques in his 20s (although, you could argue that we lived in different times back then), but the guy is now the distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois. Would it be so bad if Obama was genuinely friends with such a person? He is 65 years old professor! Come on ...

Secondly, Palin is clearly doing a sleight of hand. She is putting terrorist and Obama in the same sentence to help reinforce this perceptional about Obama being an Arab / Muslin / Terrorist (which have been conflated in American society since 911 ... at least among certain people). I would have rather Bob and Mickey spent 10 minutes reflecting on that. She is deliberately playing to the deepest fears of still frightened (Middle) America. I suspect she knows better.

Good job though guys ... glad to see you back. Aside from McWhorter/Lowry your diavlogs are a notch above.