Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Squishiness Edition

Two questions/points.

1) When Mickey asks Bob if he wants bases out of Kurdistan it is kinda like they assume Kurdistan is some independent country. As I understand it 'Iraqi Kurdistan' has political autonomy (with a 'federal' Iraq) and 'Kurdistan' is an area that encompasses bits of Iraq, Turkey and Iran. This isn't supposed to be some pedantic thing, but isn't it more common to refer to "the Kurdish area of Iraq" or "Iraqi Kurdistan" or something?

2) Is Bob really happy that Obama can say pretty categorically that the US will be out of Iraq in a year/1.5 years (which I think he did during the primary debates, right?) but then really be happy that he has to mean during his first term? I know this is all politicking etc. but why not expect a slightly higher standard of honesty/frankness ... especially from the candidate that is running on a 'washington outsider' & 'change' platform. If Obama can just throw out platitudes to get past the rest of the democratic field, how can we really know whether we should be voting for him or not? Maybe I am naive to want to hold political candidates to a higher standard than Bob. In a true democracy the power lies with the citizens, so we should want our politicians to talk true to power! (somehow I find this lack of honesty/integrity so much less palatable given that Obama is being supported by loads of small donations ... I kinda expect the other side to be full of sh1t).