Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Republicans Candidates Should Ask ... What Would A Canadian Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
"The only problem with capitalism is ... to much competition"
I know that the US compares unfavorably with European countries when it comes to % of GDP spent on medical care. However, French doctors make paltry sums compared to US physicians but they pay far less in malpractice insurance. Also, medical school is subsidized in France. Is the cost to the French citizen of subsidized medical school included in the %of GDP.?

This "France is #1" survey was taken in 2000. I wonder how a more recent survey would portary things considering the financial shakeup Europe has been experienceing.

I also have mentioned this several times and have gotten po-pooed...but don't Americans subsidize the socialized medicine schemes in European countries because they basically refuse to pay what we pay for drugs?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
...blacks...
It never fails to amaze (and disgust) me how conservatives can find a way to blame blacks (or gays, or Muslims, or other minority groups) for whatever the social ill of the day happens to be.

Do you suppose that having 40 or 50 millions uninsured citizens might be a factor in some of our health woes?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Sex and the Eurozone (Daniel Drezner & Megan McArdle)

Quote:
Quoting TwinSwords: It never fails to amaze (and disgust) me how conservatives can find a way to blame blacks (or gays, or Muslims, or other minority groups) for whatever the social ill of the day happens to be.
Funny, it never fails to amaze me how people like you can find a way to blame conservatives for whatever the social ill of the day happens to be.

Quote:
Do you suppose that having 40 or 50 millions uninsured citizens might be a factor in some of our health woes?

When you hear “46 million uninsured,” or “1 in 6 Americans don’t have health insurance,” remember that this is technically correct but misleading. The more important question is, “How many uninsured people need additional help from taxpayers?”

Last edited by badhatharry; 12-04-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
Then read the PDF. This is complicated stuff, and I'm sure there's something in there to quibble with, but they've shown their work. Don't just speculate about what you feel might be wrong with their data when they've done the work and you haven't.
Have you reviewed this data? It seems that the primary way to "narrow the gap" is through lifestyle changes. Specifically obesity, alcohol consumption, tobacco usage, and the types of foods eaten. These seem to me to be cultural matters, not a systematic problem in a health care system.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Funny, it never fails to amaze me how people like you can find a way to blame conservatives for whatever the social ill of the day happens to be.
I assume Twinswords deleted his slander.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I assume Twinswords deleted his slander.
but I caught the little bugger!

and now, miraculously, it has been re-instated. Clever these Chinese!

Last edited by badhatharry; 12-04-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
It never fails to amaze (and disgust) me how conservatives can find a way to blame blacks (or gays, or Muslims, or other minority groups) for whatever the social ill of the day happens to be.

I think badhat dealt with your "40 or 50 million" uninsured quite nicely.

As to "blaming" people, who knows what you're talking about? Hysterical, perhaps? I'm not "blaming" anyone. Infant mortality is what it is; I have no great personal investment in it. I'm simply explaining why a multi-ethnic society has different realities than a homogenous one.

Wrap your brain around that one. Cause and effect, trippy man.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
If the person in charge is a man, usually people take it pretty much for granted that everyone has to follow his rules. On the other hand, if it is a woman, there's often or almost always a certain level of challenge by some.
Really? I mean aren't there many situations where the person in charge is questioned or sabotaged or disrespected, be it a man or a woman?

Quote:
If the man in charge gets fed up or frustrated because a task isn't coming along as expected, an open display of his irritation may work as a call to duty for others. A woman in charge on the other hand, may encounter protests and objections and of course, the feedback of being bitchy or authoritarian, or whathaveyou.
All of these 'mays'. It could just as easily go the other way, no?

Quote:
If the woman due to a more subdued character tries to stimulate cooperation in a gentle non-authoritarian manner, it's a message that she has no leadership skills and many will take advantage of the situation and try to get away with their own ways of doing things.
Always? I'd imagine that if she is ineffective in the way you describe she really doesn't have leadership skills and shouldn't be in the job she holds.

Quote:
Fortunately, these stereotypical responses aren't always present, and sometimes they are only present at the beginning until people settle and accept female authority without resentment.
What stereotypical responses? That people don't follow people who don't have leadership skills? I'd imagine that would continue regardless of whether people settle or not.

Quote:
In the situation of speaking up in classes or meetings, it's interesting how women may patiently wait for their turn to speak, but men tend to interrupt each other in some kind of pace that seems to work well for them. But if a woman tries to do the same, it isn't uncommon that they will be ignored or even resented.
I'm sure you will be shocked to know that I never wait patiently. If I am paying for a class or spending my time to participate in a meeting I would never let someone over-ride me. I think women who complain after they let people roll over them are silly.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Default Problem with GOP foreign policy debate is the word FOREIGN

These days if any of the candidates actually knew things about foreign countries they would probably be seen as possible enemy agents.

I don't think Dan and Meghan got the message but as far as the GOP is concerned "foreign" is French for "fear".
Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Problem with GOP foreign policy debate is the word FOREIGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouartgob View Post
These days if any of the candidates actually knew things about foreign countries they would probably be seen as possible enemy agents.

I don't think Dan and Meghan got the message but as far as the GOP is concerned "foreign" is French for "fear".
That's simply ridiculous.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:03 AM

[quote=thouartgob;233488
...I don't think Dan and Meghan got the message but as far as the GOP is concerned "foreign" is French for "fear".[/quote]

Quote:
That's simply ridiculous.
Oh sorry ... I'll fix it

... I don't think Dan and Meghan got the message but as far as the GOP is concerned "foreign" is Freedom for "fear".

I like my burgers with catsup and my fries Freedomy.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouartgob View Post
Oh sorry ... I'll fix it

... I don't think Dan and Meghan got the message but as far as the GOP is concerned "foreign" is Freedom for "fear".

I like my burgers with catsup and my fries Freedomy.
The left can murmur insults about conservatives, and rock back and forth while praising themselves until the lights go out. The people will not be fooled by the pretensions of a jumped up element of the middle class. With each passing day of the Eurozone meltdown, this gaggle of technocrats and busy work professionals look more and more foolish.

Doesn't slow down the self-adulation, though.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
We see how this breaks down. Now, if this was simply a matter of some leftist economic grievance, it seems to me that Mexicans would be suffering at the same level as blacks, or Puerto Ricans. Mexicans have even better infant mortality rates than whites.

Theories?
Do you have thoughts about the dramatic genetic differences between Cubans and Puerto Ricans that must underly the chart?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Have you reviewed this data? It seems that the primary way to "narrow the gap" is through lifestyle changes. Specifically obesity, alcohol consumption, tobacco usage, and the types of foods eaten. These seem to me to be cultural matters, not a systematic problem in a health care system.
Cultural matters also aren't genetic matters.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Really? I mean aren't there many situations where the person in charge is questioned or sabotaged or disrespected, be it a man or a woman?

All of these 'mays'. It could just as easily go the other way, no?

Always? I'd imagine that if she is ineffective in the way you describe she really doesn't have leadership skills and shouldn't be in the job she holds.

What stereotypical responses? That people don't follow people who don't have leadership skills? I'd imagine that would continue regardless of whether people settle or not.

I'm sure you will be shocked to know that I never wait patiently. If I am paying for a class or spending my time to participate in a meeting I would never let someone over-ride me. I think women who complain after they let people roll over them are silly.
If you could control your impulses to antagonize anything I write, you might have been able to understand what I said.

Your aggressive skills may take you far in the environment where you are. You would be kicked out of many places just about the second time you open your mouth to say something typically badhatharry-nasty, my friend, whether you are a man or a woman in that case.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
If you could control your impulses to antagonize anything I write, you might have been able to understand what I said.
Interesting use of antagonize. I rarely respond to anything you write. I just couldn't let this one go, because although you used so many words, you didn't say anything at all.

I didn't mention being aggressive. I think the technical term for what I am refering to is assertive and confident that a woman deserves as much attention when she speaks as a man (presuming she has something to say). You apparently think that women need to lay back and be handed opportunities because women shouldn't have to compete for attention. I mean, things need to settle before women can be regarded as good leaders.

And most telling of all is the suggestion that if a woman stands up for herself, which is really what I said, she would get kicked out. I'm wondering if you're the kind of woman who doesn't speak up in public but works your will behind the scenes and behind the backs, which is a kind of aggression that women excel at.

Last edited by badhatharry; 12-05-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Interesting use of antagonize. I rarely respond to anything you write. I just couldn't let this one go, because although you used so many words, you didn't say anything at all.
Outstanding, badhat, really outstanding that you would respond to such nothingness.

Quote:
I didn't mention being aggressive. I think the technical term for what I am refering to is assertive and confident that a woman deserves as much attention when she speaks as a man (presuming she has something to say).
The problem is that you don't seem to realize that there's a difference between being assertive and confident and being aggressive, not to mention being obnoxious.

Quote:
You apparently think that women need to lay back and be handed opportunities because women shouldn't have to compete for attention. I mean, things need to settle before women can be regarded as good leaders.
Badhat you're really ignorant about what goes on in the real world outside your environment if you think that's what I was referring to. Perhaps if you were more willing to pay attention to what others say, or do some reading about the topic, instead of jumping with your knee jerk reactions, you would have saved some time by not writing this nonsense.

Quote:
And most telling of all is the suggestion that if a woman stands up for herself, which is really what I said, she would get kicked out.
No, that's not what I said. I said that women (or men) were as obnoxious as you have been in this forum, they would be kicked out from normal civilized environments.

Quote:
I'm wondering if you're the kind of woman who doesn't speak up in public but works your will behind the scenes and behind the backs, which is a kind of aggression that women excel at.
Oh, worry no more! If anything has gotten me in trouble to some degree, it has been to be outspoken and very direct, with a tendency to stand up for others as well. Over the years I've learned to pick my battles, but I haven't lost assertiveness. And, no, no backstabbing at all, unless you consider backstabbing calling the police when you see a creep trying to break in your home or something similar to that.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Badhat you're really ignorant about what goes on in the real world outside your environment if you think that's what I was referring to. Perhaps if you were more willing to pay attention to what others say, or do some reading about the topic, instead of jumping with your knee jerk reactions, you would have saved some time by not writing this nonsense.
Interestingly, and on display on a small scale occasionally in this forum, women in traditionally male-dominated fields can expect to take a certain amount of crap not only from some men, but from women as well.

No one likes f**king with female doctors like female nurses.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Or even respond to what Megan and Dan said. But she'd rather try to make this personal, I suppose.

On what Megan and Dan said, I do perceive quite a bit of change over the past 10 years or so. Part of it is normalizing the presence of women in certain fields and in more powerful positions in certain fields. Because of this, I think women can act as men do and get responded to more similarly to how men are. It's not identical, but it's much more that way.

It's also true that when I started working the women in power were more likely to be extra aggressive or hard-asses in some way or another. It was a generally accepted understanding that high-level women partners were often harder to work for than men with the same level of authority (or more) and that in fact they were often harder on women associates than for men.

Mostly that has changed, along with there being a lot more women partners at various levels. (Or maybe I'm just more senior now, of course, but I think my perception of a change is a valid one.)

Along with this (and something I think is good for various professions) is a broader understanding of what kind of styles work well in certain fields. I think this is good for many men, as well as women. There are also some freedoms that being female brings with respect to what I might call opting out of the dick waving contests.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohreally View Post
The US ranks 28 out of 30 in the OECD infant mortality rate ranking. But I bet if we gave white infants extra weight in the counting, we'd come off much better. Are you suggesting, STD, counting black kids as, I don't know, say, three-fifth? I bet no one has ever thought of that!
It's not an apples to apples comparison. The US counts infant moralities differently. Not to mention teen pregnancies weigh heavily in this number.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

So very pleased about this bit on gender. The experience Megan describes - I've had it countless times, and I too am the kind of woman you'd expect to be pushier than average. I would point out that both men and women are inclined to regard the woman who does plow ahead as overly aggressive - it's not just a male response, but a societal one.

And as a woman under 30 in economics journalism, I can report that we are still few in number, but growing - my master's program in business and economics journalism at Columbia was 40% female.

-M
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Do you have thoughts about the dramatic genetic differences between Cubans and Puerto Ricans that must underly the chart?
I wouldn't want to speculate. I imagine there are a large number of factors. Some of which certainly are genetic, since island living seems to accentuate some of these issues. For example, in Trinidad and Tobago, there is a VERY elevated risk of prostate cancer among the male population there. It is even higher than the risk for black Americans, here:

Prostate cancer is a very serious personal and public health problem affecting African Americans more frequently than Caucasians. On the basis of 1990–1997 data from the U.S. SEER4 of the National Cancer Institute (1) , age-adjusted incidence of prostate cancer is 225 of 100,000 among African Americans compared with 149 of 100,000 among white non-Hispanics. The mortality rate from prostate cancer was >2-fold higher among persons of African descent (54 of 100,000) compared with white non-Hispanics (23 of 100,000). Incidence of prostate cancer in the United States increased dramatically in both groups between the late 1980s and 1993, reflecting the earlier diagnosis that occurred with the increasing use of serum PSA screening (1) .

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/8/726.long

Prostate cancer is the leading cause of cancer related death in Tobago. Now, why is that? It seems plausible to me that if people of African decent have a higher susceptibility to it, and a place like Tobago is settled with people with an above average set of markers for it, then after enough time, the population will skew.

Of course, I think environmental factors also play a role. Islands are strange tide pools for genetic drift.

So what do you think is the reason for the disparity between infant mortality between blacks and Mexicans? You wouldn't argue poverty in that case, would you?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Interestingly, and on display on a small scale occasionally in this forum, women in traditionally male-dominated fields can expect to take a certain amount of crap not only from some men, but from women as well.

No one likes f**king with female doctors like female nurses.
I can confirm with 25 years of experience in the field. However, and in spite of that, I'm holding well. It just takes some work, a lot of biting your lip not to say what you really think, and coaching the younger ones so that they don't get walked all over.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Or even respond to what Megan and Dan said. But she'd rather try to make this personal, I suppose.

On what Megan and Dan said, I do perceive quite a bit of change over the past 10 years or so. Part of it is normalizing the presence of women in certain fields and in more powerful positions in certain fields. Because of this, I think women can act as men do and get responded to more similarly to how men are. It's not identical, but it's much more that way.

It's also true that when I started working the women in power were more likely to be extra aggressive or hard-asses in some way or another. It was a generally accepted understanding that high-level women partners were often harder to work for than men with the same level of authority (or more) and that in fact they were often harder on women associates than for men.

Mostly that has changed, along with there being a lot more women partners at various levels. (Or maybe I'm just more senior now, of course, but I think my perception of a change is a valid one.)

Along with this (and something I think is good for various professions) is a broader understanding of what kind of styles work well in certain fields. I think this is good for many men, as well as women. There are also some freedoms that being female brings with respect to what I might call opting out of the dick waving contests.

Yes, I agree with your comment. We still have a lot of territory to cover, but it has improved to a significant degree.