Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Two Men, No Uteruses (Steven Waldman & William Saletan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
As with all sweeping generalizations, this one has its exceptions, too. However, when you think about the significant correlation between the forced pregnancy crowd and support for things like war, the death penalty, and the end of restrictions on machine guns, not to mention opposition to things like Head Start and adoption by same-sex couples, it is inaccurate for you to say that this is a "cheap shot." Barney Frank's great line is funny because it's true.
I call it acheap-shot not because it is inaccurate, but because it isn't helpful. It's the type of statement that is easy to say, easy to understand, and easy to dismiss. It may be effective at rallying people to agreement who already agree, but I don't that it convinces anyone, that it brings anyone over to the pro-choice side. It doesn't facilitate discussion or debate, it ends it. The only response to that statement by the other side is defensiveness, and anyone who is in the middle but even remotely sympathetic to the pro-life side can understand that response. That's why I say it's a cheap-shot.