Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Gee Tim F., Remember Bill Clinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
Well I'm sorry if my argumentative style makes is too tiresome for you to spell my name properly. Insofar as you have a point about how I post on this forum, it's because the whole place is drowning in stupid arguments made by people who aren't interested in rational discussion and who, on the basis of long experience, I know to be extremely tiresome and irritating to talk to. Therefore, I economize, picking out obvious misstatements of fact or logical fallacies that I imagine might be corrected without long pointless arguments. That is what's going on here, but as usual my hope that someone might simply admit to a mistake and then move on was foolish.
Really? Well guess what. Your constant focus on minor points and "logical fallacies" is one small step above pointing out spelling errors and being a grammar Nazi. If I make Assertion x, with supporting points 1,2, 3 and 4 - your pointing out that supporting point no. 4 is 'incorrect' is boring. It diverts the discussion into "is minor point no. 4 correct or incorrect?"- yawn - since whatever conclusion we reach on Minor point 4 has no real impact on assertion X.

This is even worse when I use obvious (I assume) hyperbole, exaggeration, sarcasm or irony and someone (like you) decides to take it literally. In this case, you seem to think "Filing charges" is different from what I think it is. So where do we go from here? A big long discussion in which we argue about what "filing charges" means? Or I'm supposed to care that these things happened 10 years ago, or 14.5 or 16.5 years ago, instead on "15 years ago"?

Too often you're like some boring defense attorney. "The prosecution claims
my client was found with a bloody knife and was wearing a white bloodstained shirt the night of the murder - but my client was innocent! He was wearing a blue bloodstained shirt that night!"

Last edited by rcocean; 11-09-2011 at 11:26 PM..