Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Krugmanology 101 (Noam Scheiber & Stephen Spruiell)

I do have one question.

Mr. Spruiell expressed doubt on the veracity of the Congressional Budget Office's projections regarding the cost of the health care act. Mr. Scheiber agreed with Mr. Spruiell on this point and even went so far as to indicate that administrations typically or routinely craft legislation to obtain the best possible outcome from the CBO.

Yet nowhere can I find evidence of any member of The National Review staff expressing doubt about the CBO scores for the Bush-Cheney tax cuts of 2001 and 2003. I have searched Lexis/Nexis and The National Review archives. No member of The National Review at that time stated that he or she questioned the validity of the CBO's review of the Bush-Cheney tax cuts on those two occasions.

I do not believe Mr. Spruiell was at The National Review in either 2001 or 2003. Perhaps Mr. Spruiell was attending college or in the employ of the Koch brothers at those times long ago?

If the CBO's numbers for the health care act are suspect, as Mr. Spruiell suggested and Mr. Scheiber seemed to agree, then why did The National Review find the same CBO's numbers about the Bush-Cheney tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 to be valid or without question?

I do hope that it is appropriate to ask this question and that in so doing, I will not anger Mr. Wright, Mr. Kaus, Mr. Dingle, Ms. Brenda, or any other viewer of bloggingheads.