Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
BhTV staff

Default Bob's comments monovlog

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Gang of Twelve

Bob, it's easy. Think of garbagecowboy as the thirteenth member of the dozen. Then everything starts to make sense.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Bob's comments monovlog

Bob you need a friend
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Bob, if bloggingheads will be "dead in a few months" unless a solution is found, I for one would be more than happy to pay for access. I derive great joy from bloggingheads - it adds to the happiness in my life - many of the diavlogs are intellectually challenging, which I enjoy, many of them are fascinating, and I get a lot of great book recommendations as well. I continue to be surprised all this is free. I recommend it to everyone I know, but if viewer numbers don't help, tell us what else would. I'd love to help keep bloggingheads alive and well.

Amanda
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM

as i'm currently working - ok, "working" - could somebody please tell me the gist of this 'mono'vlog? i won't be able to watch it until tonight or tomorrow, and i get the feeling that the news is not good . . .
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Mickey's Playing Dumb on "Palling Around with Terrrorists"

Half-hour into this now:

I used to feel some degree of sympathy for Mickey's views.

Totally lost it with Mickey's "terrorist" accusations on this one. Mickey's being disengenuous and won't admit it. If I never see him on BHTV again, that's too soon.

Paradoxical: I used to think Bob was deficient in "intestinal fortitude." Nice to see him try to pin Mickey's ears back regarding the obvious "dog-whistle" message of the McCain campaigns Ayers attacks.

Bob himself doesn't whistle very well, though. (This in reference to the few bars we got from him as they dealt with technical glitch.)

EW

Last edited by Eastwest; 10-16-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Disambiguation of "whistle"'s two different contexts...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
as i'm currently working - ok, "working" - could somebody please tell me the gist of this 'mono'vlog? i won't be able to watch it until tonight or tomorrow, and i get the feeling that the news is not good . . .
No worries. Mickey doesn't like being present when Bob discusses comments.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneystones View Post
So, you can stick this comment deep where the sun don't shine.
Wow. And I thought I was irascible this morning.

My suggestion is well illustrated by this KS post: Don't let any comments show on the front page and, yes, do solicit advertising, preferring slightly higher class ads as the previous ones from Princeton University Press etc. After all, that is a huge part of what BHTV is about.

Anyway, yes, please do bury this ugly KS post.

EW
Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM

By the end there, Bob reminds me of a toddler rambling semiconscious crazytalk several hours past its bedtime.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&theboys View Post
Bob, if bloggingheads will be "dead in a few months" unless a solution is found, I for one would be more than happy to pay for access. I derive great joy from bloggingheads - it adds to the happiness in my life - many of the diavlogs are intellectually challenging, which I enjoy, many of them are fascinating, and I get a lot of great book recommendations as well. I continue to be surprised all this is free. I recommend it to everyone I know, but if viewer numbers don't help, tell us what else would. I'd love to help keep bloggingheads alive and well.

Amanda
I second that.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Hmmm. Weird: My post on Mickey's off-the-wallness got put back here. OK, whatever.

Preamble: Bob: BHTV is actually a great service to humanity because it contributes so much richness of thought from (mostly) civilized thinkers. I just wish you'd move to a couple DVs a day.

Anyway, here's my "monovlog" suggestions:

1) Yes, by all means do this "monovlog" bit, but maybe not so often when you're in burnt-out mode, as with this one, though I gather there are extenuating circumstances. (You're sounding like you really just lost a heck of a lot of money in the stock market.) Listening to it, I kept thinking about John Kerry's long, sad face, and then looked over from my editing on the other screen and, sure enough, there was Bob's long, sad face, which contrasts so completely with the superman BW when he's being perky, sparkling with witticisms and freshness.

2) Cut the constant interweaving of profuse apologies. Completely. The commenters owe you big time for an abundance of quality content from weird and interesting people.

3) Feel free to forever move all comments from "above the fold" on the BHTV front page down to "below the screen," even once one starts up a particular diavlog and starts listening to it. (Diavlog viewers should have to scroll down before they see any comments at all.) Actually, if I had my druthers, all comments would disappear, not only from the BHTV front page (current policy), but from all DV pages as well. Best they all be confined to the completely separate "Forum" section of the site. The comments (especially lately) detract from the quality aspects of the site and drive away advertisers. Kind of a harsh analogy, I know, but I've got to pass it on: The commenters very often are like dogs, just passing by quickly to lift a leg and smell up the site.

4) Be utterly merciless in immediately knocking all uncivil comments off the BHTV front page entirely. They bring down the tone of the site terribly. The DV pairings are generally of a classy enough nature that DV participants shouldn't have to see out-and-out nastiness at all unless they go back to the "Forum Page" looking for it.

5) Just out-and-out pitch out, delete, expunge, incinerate, obliterate, and erase any posts containing gutter language. Writing in that manner is so inexcusable that folks cursing in the comments deserve to have their posts deleted entirely. Post this as a policy. Folks will learn soon enough how to be adequately "tart" using the other zillion words in the English language.

6) Please, please, please completely forget and never mention again the idea of having any of the commenters pair with you in passing comments on comments. Either just do it yourself or pull in one of your more cozy DV participants to joke about the comments with you. Maybe grab a Lefty one week and Conservative the next. One way or another, figure out a way to make it fun for yourself to do a mostly extemporaneous rioting trample through the posts you find interesting, feeling free to shake your finger and scream the way you did at Mickey's Ayers obtuseness today. This could be plenty cathartic for you and could be at lest moderately entertaining for us.

Anyway, thanks for a great site. Keep it up.

EW

Last edited by Eastwest; 10-16-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Additional points added to 3)
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
Hmmm. Weird: My post on Mickey's off-the-wallness got put back here. OK, whatever.

Preamble: Bob: BHTV is actually a great service to humanity because it contributes so much richness of thought from (mostly) civilized thinkers. I just wish you'd move to a couple DVs a day.

Anyway, here's my "monovlog" suggestions:

1) Yes, by all means do this "monovlog" bit, but maybe not so often when you're in burnt-out mode, as with this one, though I gather there are extenuating circumstances. (You're sounding like you really just lost a heck of a lot of money in the stock market.) Listening to it, I kept thinking about John Kerry's long, sad face, and then looked over from my editing on the other screen and, sure enough, there was Bob's long, sad face, which contrasts so completely with the superman BW when he's being perky, sparkling with witticisms and freshness.

2) Cut the constant interweaving of profuse apologies. Completely. The commenters owe you big time for an abundance of quality content from weird and interesting people.

3) Feel free to forever move all comments from "above the fold" on the BHTV front page down to "below the screen," even once one starts up a particular diavlog and starts listening to it. (Diavlog viewers should have to scroll down before they see any comments at all.) Actually, if I had my druthers, all comments would disappear, not only from the BHTV front page (current policy), but from all DV pages as well. Best they all be confined to the completely separate "Forum" section of the site. The comments (especially lately) detract from the quality aspects of the site and drive away advertisers. Kind of a harsh analogy, I know, but I've got to pass it on: The commenters very often are like dogs, just passing by quickly to lift a leg and smell up the site.

4) Be utterly merciless in immediately knocking all uncivil comments off the BHTV front page entirely. They bring down the tone of the site terribly. The DV pairings are generally of a classy enough nature that DV participants shouldn't have to see out-and-out nastiness at all unless they go back to the "Forum Page" looking for it.

5) Just out-and-out pitch out, delete, expunge, incinerate, obliterate, and erase any posts containing gutter language. Writing in that manner is so inexcusable that folks cursing in the comments deserve to have their posts deleted entirely. Post this as a policy. Folks will learn soon enough how to be adequately "tart" using the other zillion words in the English language.

6) Please, please, please completely forget and never mention again the idea of having any of the commenters pair with you in passing comments on comments. Either just do it yourself or pull in one of your more cozy DV participants to joke about the comments with you. Maybe grab a Lefty one week and Conservative the next. One way or another, figure out a way to make it fun for yourself to do a mostly extemporaneous rioting trample through the posts you find interesting, feeling free to shake your finger and scream the way you did at Mickey's Ayers obtuseness today. This could be plenty cathartic for you and could be at lest moderately entertaining for us.

Anyway, thanks for a great site. Keep it up.

EW
I think you're being a bit hard on your fellow commenters, EW. With some obvious exceptions, most people commenting here seem to understand the rules of civility and even, I daresay, logic - certainly these things are true relative to comments sections generally. That's not to say that many of us - me, and you, included - haven't occasionally descended into, let's say, irascibility, but as a general rule I'd like to assert that most folks here know how to conduct themselves in a public conversation.

I like the idea that the discussion, or at least its start, can be seen directly when a diavlog page is displayed - it enhances the sense that BHTV is a community, a point made even more keen by the fact that some of the participants are perfectly willing to join the fray, themselves. My vote is definitely to keep the commentary on that page.

I think the compromise that the BHTV overlords have arrived at - occasionally hiding particularly impolitic remarks with out actually deleting them (except with extreme cause) is about as good a solution as possible.

Last edited by AemJeff; 10-16-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: typo fixing
Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Talking to Nobody

I liked it. I'm an unabashed admirer of Bob. I thank him for the effort. I'm not aligned with him politically. Rather, I like the analysis he brings to every issue, his willingness to consider and engage opposing points of view without getting defensive, or hiding behind a debater's script (like Alterman and Hitchens do). It's amazing to me that he reads all the comments, and moreover, tries to tie them together in various ways. Be assured I would watch/listen to more of these.

I think we see here that it's damn hard to do a monovlog. It's not just fatigue; it's being ill-at-ease because there's no feedback through the camera.

Bob, you correctly understood my cutting remark, but it was all meant in good humor. You should strike back by retitling this monovlog "Talking to Nobody: Simon Willard".

Last edited by Simon Willard; 10-16-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM

My acceptance speech for the most salacious comment award:

I would like to thank the academy, and BHTV for this prestigious award. I couldn't have done it without my fellow commentors, the gang of 12 and of course, John McWhorter. Now I'd like to take a moment to talk about the situation in Darfur....(insert Susan Sarandon-esque lecture).

The orchestra starts playing and I am whisked off the stage by two "attendants".

Bob, this monovlog was ok but I still think you should make Mickey sit through the comments discussion (or at least find somebody else who will...Steven Kaus perhaps?)

Just for clarification, there was no sympathy intended in my job-interview/Palin analogy.

I hope your "dead in a couple months" comment is not an Omen. BHTV is far too valuable. Keep up the fine work. --Uncle Eb
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM

OK, I completely like the idea of you doing this, Bob. I'll watch. As long as you are awake and lively during your review of the comments. You made me feel like crawling back into bed shortly after I had a nice 7 hours of sleep! Try to pretend you are still talking to someone. It may help.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM

not so fast, bob!:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/152...9:55&out=20:04

seriously, though, i think this concept has a lot of potential. i don't think we expect shakespeare-like soliloquys, just a bit more organization and, perhaps, energy. (i know you weren't taping it under the optimal circumstances!) try the 7/11 maximum caffeine blend! or, just put some bailey's in your coffee next time and make it really interesting . . .

anyway, thanks for all your hard work. i love bh.tv!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi Bob,

First things first. You asked for comments about your comments about our comments. My comment is that you should continue to comment on our comments.

That’s it!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Hi Bob again,

Second I’ll add more substance to this comment.

What do you mean by “plain old Ocean”? Plain old Ocean???

Let’s have some straight talk here. Neither plain nor old! Just Ocean!

If you want to add adjectives to my name here are the approved ones: serene, eternal, deep, awesome, fascinating, and stormy.

Here are some of the unofficial but tolerated adjectives: dangerous, stirred, and gloomy.

So, please, would you be so kind to remain within the acceptable boundaries?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Bob, re: BhTV's financial future (unwanted advice incoming from someone who doesn't know your business model, apologies)--

I'm just one guy, but I really think that there are a ton of niche-subject bloggers who have large audiences and would undoubtedly jump at the chance for free exposure on your site.

Maybe you already have so much content in a given week that adding any more would be pointless or counterproductive. But I would *love* to see BhTV style (erudite yet informal 1 on 1s) applied to any number of subjects that the site just doesn't cover right now. Subjects that might be rich in valuable clicks.

Anyway. I'd sincerely like to help and have a few specific ideas.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi Bob,

Third, let’s address the social groups.

1. Se acabó la rabia. It means “Rage is over”. It started as a pacifist attempt to unite the Spanish speaking commenters. I thought that we should make it more inclusive and open the group to English speaking people who are also pacifists and can tolerate some limited use of Spanish here and there. For example, I have heard there’s some individual by the name of Mickey who would have a problem with that. He would be excluded (unless he came begging for forgiveness on his knees and having learned at least 200 words in Spanish.)
Wonderment and I were going to change the name of the group and redefine it, sort of a rebirth, but we got distracted with trivial stuff like one of the most important presidential elections for the future (or end) of humanity, 'The Financial Crisis of the Century and perhaps Millennium', and having to deal with annoying if not plainly psychotic troll-like venomous commenters.
Bob, you may join the group. You always appear pretty calm and that’s a good start. Wonderment and I will teach you some Spanish in no time.

2. The Gang of 12. I’m not the expert. I’m trying to figure out myself what my fellow twelvers are up to. They engage in strange talk every now and then, and although I would like to know what that’s about due to my inquisitive mind, I have respected their need for privacy. I know that the fact that there are 13 members is confusing. You can think of it in many different ways. One of them is Ocean and the Gang of 12, although some may object to having my name in the spotlight like that. It may create the wrong impression. The meaning and purpose of the gang is only partially known and understood. It’s an evolving thing. Dynamic and Spontaneous. We tend to bond and support each other, with some exceptions. Some members are somewhat atypical. We are working on that.

Bob, I don’t know whether you can join this one, but you can always ask…
Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Hi Bob,

Finally, some serious thoughts about your monovlog.

What’s the main purpose of this? Or are there multiple equally important goals?

Do you want to discuss the format and content of the comments, like etiquette for example? Language use? Hate – loaded comments? Silly comments? Funny comments? Off topic comments? Side “conversations”? Addressing the diavloggers? Length of comments?

Do you want suggestions? Ideas? Feedback?

Do you want to preach? Fight? Bond? Lead?

What else? Oh, yes! I liked the monovlog very much and I’m not plain old anything!

Cordially,

Ocean
Old 10-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Hi Bob again,

Second I’ll add more substance to this comment.

What do you mean by “plain old Ocean”? Plain old Ocean???

Let’s have some straight talk here. Neither plain nor old! Just Ocean!

If you want to add adjectives to my name here are the approved ones: serene, eternal, deep, awesome, fascinating, and stormy.

Here are some of the unofficial but tolerated adjectives: dangerous, stirred, and gloomy.

So, please, would you be so kind to remain within the acceptable boundaries?
Is it possible to simultaneously be the subject of "serene," "gloomy," and "stormy?"

Just askin'

(Approved adjective for AemJeff: "ducking.")
Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Is it possible to simultaneously be the subject of "serene," "gloomy," and "stormy?"

Just askin'

(Approved adjective for AemJeff: "ducking.")
Of course it's possible. Just confusing...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Lyle

Default Mickey's Right to Defend Palin's Comments

We all know that is what Sarah Palin mean by what she said. He hungout, i.e., pal'd around with Ayers, who was a terrorist in the 70s and is unrepetent about it at present.

So, yes, it is completely fair for Sarah Palin and John McCain to point this fact out to the American people.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 PM

I have an obvious idea. First, thanks to Bob for taking the time to comment on the comments of commenters. It's a brilliant attention (ratings?) getting strategy, but more importantly adds to the feeling of a real community existing around the site.
Back to the idea, perhaps the "guest" commenter could be present via phone only, and maybe even have a pitch shifter applied to the audio, the way they conceal identities on TV (makes them all sound like Hulk Hogan).
This way the process is exactly the same as a diavlog, but without the need for the other video feed. With all due respect to Simon Willard, there is no visual feed back during the recording process, correct? The split screen is added after a video upload, I assume. The effect would be more like a Larry King caller type thing (sorry if this strikes you as an unfair comparison, I just use it to illustrate the technical scenario).

Speaking of BJkeefe he hasn't posted since 10/08, I hope all is well!

Last edited by handle; 10-16-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Default 6 reasons why Bob's Commenting on Comments is a good idea

1. Fosters bond of intimacy between Bob and commenters.

2. Reassures commenters that Bob takes them seriously.

3. Gives Bob the opportunity to work through his "issues" with commenters.

4. Lets Bob convey gentle moral message about the comments that in his view drive advertisers away.

5. Highlights Bob's best personality characteristics: humility, intellectual curiosity, creativity, compassion (as opposed to polemical, exasperated, passive-aggressive or whiny Bob that sometimes comes across with Mickey)

6. Anything that reduces Mickey's time on Bheads is excellent, including enhanced interrogation techniques like prolonged exposure to loud music or another date with Hugh Hewitt.

SUGGESTION: 1) Keep it to a tight 15 minutes.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Yes, what is up with BJ? Anyknow know?

?????

Quote:
Speaking of BJkeefe he hasn't posted since 10/08, I hope all is well!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Yes, what is up with BJ? Anyknow know?

No, but I noticed that too.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Mickey's Right to Defend Palin's Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
We all know that is what Sarah Palin mean by what she said. He hungout, i.e., pal'd around with Ayers, who was a terrorist in the 70s and is unrepetent about it at present.

So, yes, it is completely fair for Sarah Palin and John McCain to point this fact out to the American people.
"Our opponent is someone who sees America as imperfect enough to pal around with terrorists who targeted their own country,"

I think she drew a pretty unfair, and unsupported conclusion while stating what might just be a total exaggeration. Maybe it's just me, but I take my "paling around" seriously, and would not define my interactions with colleges as such.
But you are right, we all know what she means by it..
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM

What Palin said about paling is beyond the pale.

The message is that Obama is a traitor, and I would agree with Bob, no one has ever said anything remotely that nasty about a candidate for president.

It could not be clearer that the audience is supposed to reason as follows: Bill Ayers bombed the Pentagon; Bin Laden bombed the Pentagon. Bill Ayers and Bin Laden are Pentagon-bombing terrorists. Obama pals around with the guys who attacked the Pentagon. Anyone who is their friend is our Enemy, i.e., a traitor who belongs in Guantánamo rather than in the White House.

Actually, if anyone is paling around with terrorists, it's Sarah Palin:
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Yes, what is up with BJ? Anyknow know?

You know, you have to do BH in moderation. The guys who post too much are at risk for some awful fate... we aren't sure what. First there was garbagecowboy, then Bloggin' Noggin, now BJK....
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM

Can you tell by Henry's facial expression how impressed he is by her innate intelligence?

Oops! One shouldn't say such things about a VP candidate...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:53 PM

It seems to me that you should charge your diavloggers for their appearances on this site. I know that BHTV is personally responsible for my purchase of at least $100 worth of books --the latest being Philip Bobbitt's "Terror and Consent". I don't imagine your site saw one dime of money from that did it? I don't know how many times I've gone to diavlogger websites to see what they were about. Your site is certainly a promotional tool and I'd think your audience is exactly the kind of audience that would buy books. I could see the moral problem of making diavloggers pay for access though as well--it could become a platform based on revenues not ideas. But surely, their must be a way for you to capitalize on the interest your site creates in its diavloggers' books, websites, etc.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Yeah, Bob. Free frumbs up.
You’re fine, just arguing wif yersef.

I’ve said before, don’ t mind saying it again or any other time. Bhtv is an admirably honorable instituion, allowing we Small People to look into larger minds (in some but not all cases, which is cool, b/cause a fool’s more visibly so when we can watch them doing their dipsy-doodly doos, obfuscating right before our lying eyes.
But as I was saying, it’s an opportunity to see some truly admirable acuity in action in all its diverse humanity. It’s an individualizing counter to homogenized clichés (the cliché for which is ‘meme’) sliced and diced to reduce all meaning-value to some quotidian level while retaining an inflated marketing-value.
Bhtv is more like an offering of truth that will squeak if it is pinched and crumble if it is squeezed really hard, and we get to witness the pinching and squeezing and its results. What, and who, sqeaks? Reeks? Crumbles? Remains resiliently reliable? All that and more, towards the lifting of all intellectual boats through redistribution of intellectual wealth.

Then there’s bhtv’s arty side where we have our gifted performance-art practitioners (not always necessarily as gifted as seems they oughta maybe be) testing the limits of human cognition and conceptual dynamics displaying what’s possible to fit the human mind around. Or not.

But here I am gushing about bhtv’s cultural centrality for the new intelligentsia, when what you want to know about is your solo and its potential variants.
Keep it. Even when you’re dead on your feet and lack all confidence you’re a satisfying watch and listen. Who knows but what some mighty oak may from this single nut (not, I’m sure, you) may grow? Twenty years from now, all of life transformed into something inaccessible to precognition, bhtv may well be a beacon for inquiry and critique, and its model of personalized understanding become a norm and international treasure.

Oops. More gush and hyperthesized grandeur, when that’s not really what either of us wants (that’s assuming a desire for physical survival with a soupçon of comfort, and intellectual, moral, and spiritual prosperity).

I’m cool with any presence, video, audio, or both, of a diavlogal commentariat. Definitely worth a try, though I don’t have a nice linear rationale ready to hand.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Gang of Twelve

Dear My Georgian Friend Bob Wright,

Appearances can be deceiving. I am NOT a member of the Gang of 12. On the contrary, I parachuted behind enemy lines and infiltrated them. That's why my name appears in their membership.

I'm here to tell you that the so-called Gang of 12 are Islamofacists. They all recruit for Acorn, threaten the core principles of democracy, pal around with terrorists, have ties to Chicago mobsters, and worship Satan.

Here's some straight talk for you:
I am not George Bush. The fundamentals of our economy are sound. Ba-ba-bomb Iran! I am suspending my campaign. I was against torture before I was for it. Obama is not an Arab. He's a good family man. How could a good family man be Arab? Also, I am engaged to Joe the Plumber. War is peace. Up is down.

Finally, I have a zero-sum game for you: I will kick B. Hussein Obama's You-know-what on Nov. 4. Ergo, I win; he eats dog shit.

I'm John M. and I approve this message
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 PM

bo-ring! i don't know if it's that bob was weary of sitting in front of a camera talking for the previous hour and up past his bed time or if he just hasn't found his stride with the whole mono aspect of it (confidence is key!), but i'm afraid i agree with mickey that the response to the viewers is generally pretty uninteresting. although, i like the attempt at creating interactivity. here's an idea: how about responding directly to one or two viewers' comments who were insightful or compelling by doing an actual short (or regular length) blogging heads with that actual commenter? eh?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 PM

I love Bob. Bob is great. But Bob definitely needs someone to argue with. Maybe he should give Mickey a larger share of Bhtv as payment to suffer through Bob's reading of the comments. Mickey can mock and disparage the commenters to provide welcome comic relief.

BTW, I know that's it's damn hard to do. Only a small fraction of the population could do it effectively. Mickey did a monovlog and failed also. You have to have *real* entertainment talent to pull it off.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Lyle

Obama's relationship with Ayers is exaggerated?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Lyle

Palin hasn't called Obama a traitor... she's just pointed out the fact that Obama has a relationship with the unrepetent ex-leader of the Weather Underground (A domestic terrorist group that murdered innocent people).

Other, more zealous Republicans have expanded on Obama's Ayers connection to say things like 'traitor'.... but that is only a vocal minority of people and it certainly isn't the message Palin or McCain is doling out.

Attacking Obama with Ayers is totally fair game, and unbigoted.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 AM

As for Bob discussing comments at the end of his episodes with Kaus: I like it. I thought it was terrific that there was a reward for writing a good comment. It's a good incentive. It's too bad Kaus has to be such a jerk about it. So the obvious solution is to get rid of Kaus.

Solo Bob is pretty low energy. Maybe Bob could discuss the comments of the week (or whatever interval) with Joel Cairo. I wouldn't be offended if these episodes were only linked to on the forums and never made it on the front page.

As for moderating comments, and removing them from the front page: hey, it's Bob's site. He can do whatever he wants. And since I (and I'm not the only one) can be intemperate once in a while, a little moderation is welcome.