Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Bloggingheads Bloggingheads is offline
BhTV staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,936
Default Performed Intelligence

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

You are both right, the pronunciation is Pahkistahn. At least so says my Pakistani friend.

Last edited by uncle ebeneezer; 10-10-2008 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Sactownxsv Sactownxsv is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socialism Central, California
Posts: 4
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Glenn Loury.

For the most part, you're the most intelligent person on this site.
Regardless of how you vote, people need to realize these politicians are in no way, unintelligent. To characterize any of them, and this extends to George W. Bush, as such is an injustice.

I don't know how many times I've read on African-American sites that "McCain was the republican I would once have voted for", and to end they close with "That man now- is vapor"

People are overlooking their own prejudice and how its formed their opinion.
People have overlooked how much they value common traits they hold with the person they vote for. It's no surprise 9 out of 10 African-Americans are voting for Obama, and it isn't prejudice to do so. But as Glenn said, you don't have to demonize the other side to make your side the victor.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: John McWhorter Gettin' Some....

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/150...3:36&out=13:42
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Arkie_in_CT Arkie_in_CT is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartford area
Posts: 6
Send a message via MSN to Arkie_in_CT
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

I think Prof. Loury needn't worry too much that Sen. Obama, if elected president, would be an immoderate regulator. My sense is that Mr. Obama has a healthy skepticism towards excess dogmatism, be it free-market fundamentalism or interventionist statism. I find quite pleasing this tendency on his part - we will need a president who is willing to regulate where needful, but who will do so in no more aggressive a way than is called for.

Where to draw the line in such cases, as in so many matters of public policy, is a matter of judgment. I am confident in Barack Obama's in these economic balance of power issues, as elsewhere, and I commend such confidence to Glenn Loury.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Glenn, give it a rest. We know you can't fully embrace Obama. You watched the debate and yet you are stretching credulity to defend McCain. His inability to hold a three part question in his mind, without asking for a repeat, without having to commit them to paper and then balk at a reply by blurring the three items that he couldn't recall - are exactly John's point.
I don't care if it's age, feeblemindedness or peter principle over-reaching. McCain ain't got it man. Don't worry, your rep isn't tarnished by your mental block. I've been watching your contortions for months... I still respect your intellect. But, blindspots just like prejudice are sometimes difficult to shed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Eastwest Eastwest is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 592
Default Lost It With Glenn on This One

Geez, Glenn, what are you smoking?

I'm a former HRC supporter never particularly impressed by Obama, always felt you were reasonable in your disinclination to join in Obamamania cheerleading, and always felt you had a little more gravitas and wisdom of experience as measured against Mr. McWhorter.

But now you've really gone too far. McCain's mental and characterological deficits have become so evident, you'd have to be blind not to see them. I could see your wanting to remain neutral on the guy, but to actually praise him up and down for all his qualities is just absurd. The quality of your judgment is fading.

It's at this point that I turn in my "Glenn Loury Fan Club" badge.

Add in the just plain dumb advocacy of unbridled deregulation when a failure to exert even the most minimal sort of regulation on greed gone wild has ruined not only our own economy, but also the economy of the world, and then going farther yet, even to the point of blaming the dishonesty in home loan apps on populist political-economic policy -- that's just a lie and it's a just plain nutty analysis.

EW

Last edited by Eastwest; 10-10-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Well said Graz. It's getting downright painful to watch Glenn bend over backwards to defend McCain and concurrently to criticize Obama. In an alternate universe, i would love to see whether Glenn would be so finely focused on criticizing the Dem candidate if her name was Hillary. I'm still waiting for him to say anything substantive about the policies of John McCain. He has said some things about the race that McCain has run, but he has yet to take McCain to task for any of the number of policies that McCain holds that don't exactly jive with the progressive/liberal outlook.

As far as regulation goes, I also think Glenn is missing a crucial part of the dynamic. McCain (and the GOP) routinely make statements that ALL problems in the economy are the result of the government. Their contentions are usually sweeping. All regulation is bad. McCain has made this one of his biggest selling points. Not "I'm against needless regulations", but "There should be NO regulation." So when a situation like the bailout comes up where there are many factors, do we really want a guy who thinks that the simple answer is for the government to have no role? As an economist, does Glenn really think that the free market will just miraculously make CEO's act ethically and responsibly? Because that is the meme that modern conservatism has been pushing for decades and one that is shown false by situations like the S&L scandal and the current situation (regardless of whether regulation may not be the complete remedy.)

I don't have a degree in economics and it is not my area of expertise, so I don't have the answer. But I know what is NOT the answer, and it would be trusting in the goodwill of entrepreneurs wholly and blindly. And that is the message that is the very pillar of the GOP, and John McCain so it is a fair thing for Obama to criticize at this juncture.

Last edited by uncle ebeneezer; 10-10-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
It's getting downright painful to watch Glenn bend over backwards to defend McCain and concurrently to criticize Obama..
Maybe the Dr. can heal himself:
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/150...2:06&out=02:26
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

I was almost tempted to praise McCain for showing surprising class in response to his angry crowds:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081010/...n_angry_crowds

And then I thought "wait a minute, where are these people getting this misinformation?" Oh yeah, directly from McCain's campaign.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Jyminee Jyminee is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Glenn, I respect you so much and have enjoyed your appearances here a great deal. But when accuse John of making unfair ad hominem attacks against McCain, you're way off the mark.

John is basically saying "McCain doesn't have what it takes to be president." That kind of statement is completely fair to make about any candidate for public office. But look at the disgusting ad hominen attacks the McCain campaign is launching against Obama. Every day they are basically calling him a radical America-hater, one step away from being a terrorist.

I haven't heard you say anything against those kinds of attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyminee View Post
Glenn, I respect you so much and have enjoyed your appearances here a great deal. But when accuse John of making unfair ad hominem attacks against McCain, you're way off the mark.

John is basically saying "McCain doesn't have what it takes to be president." That kind of statement is completely fair to make about any candidate for public office. But look at the disgusting ad hominen attacks the McCain campaign is launching against Obama. Every day they are basically calling him a radical America-hater, one step away from being a terrorist.

I haven't heard you say anything against those kinds of attacks.
But it is ad hominem, by definition. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. The real question is, "is it unfair?"
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
uncle ebeneezer uncle ebeneezer is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Moreover, I think John McWhorter's point is a valid one. I, for one, never had any issue with McCain's intelligence, I just disagreed with his policies. But throughout this campaign, through all his speeches and debates, I've been completely underwhelmed by his critical thinking. In short, i just don't think the guy does have what it. Imagine if Obama didn't know the difference between the Sunni and Shia...

For all the fun Glenn has pointing out that Obama has not impressed him with anything profound, I have seen absolutely nothing of substance in McCain's message. Even if you can somehow reconcile the numerous flip flops he's had on just about every major issue, and put it into a coherent narative, it's still been nothing but GOP red meat talking points and a prolific use of the word Maverick. If Glenn wants to point to Obama as an empty suit, it's only fair to turn that same standard to McCain, who so far looks more like an empty sock.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
jimM47 jimM47 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 459
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Glen Loury was on fire in this one. It is really enjoyable to see him put on his economist hat and say things that need saying.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 PM
cousincozen cousincozen is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 62
Default The most disturbing thing yet...

A disembodied tail.

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/150...5:30&out=35:45
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Unit Unit is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Lost It With Glenn on This One

Wow! Where can I get one of those "Fan of Glenn" badges?

I'm not a McCain defender, but your reasoning on the economy, Glenn, is on the mark and beautifully expressed as usual. A lot of people seem to act like those early visitors to the Soviet union that pretended to not see what was going on. Come on folks: our markets are "over"-regulated, our politicians' job is to sell regulation that favors the highest bidder. Don't you see that? The current mess was not only "created" by our rules ad regulations, but politicians of both parties have gotten rich off of it. And now you want to give them even more power? It's utterly absurd.

Glenn, keep it up. You're a breath of fresh air.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 PM
cragger cragger is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 632
Default Re: Deja vu all over again

I hope that once the election is over this pairing of b-heads can move on to other topics. Mr. McWhorter praises Obama and Mr. Loury pushes back despite apparantly feeling that he is the better, or at least less worse, alternative. Their style is refreshingly honest and thoughtful, but it is starting to sound a bit like a long-married couple stuck in a pattern of repeating the same conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Xelgaex Xelgaex is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 51
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
But it is ad hominem, by definition. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. The real question is, "is it unfair?"
"Ad hominem" is tricky in politics because there is a way to go too far in attacking the person. Certain attacks on character or on family cross the line. However, you can't separate the person from the argument entirely in politics, and it is the person who is ultimately elected.

An example that Glenn and John might appreciate is the Clinton/Obama race. There were few differences in policy (policy being the political equivalent of the logical argument) and the campaign were almost entirely about personal qualification and personality. For instance the whole experience question is precisely an "argument to the person." In the original context of logic, the experience of the person making the argument has no bearing on whether the argument is sound.

Basically what I'm saying is that there is a way to be too personal, but that it is a person running for office, not an idea.

In the context of the diavlog, McCain performing badly in the debate doesn't necessarily mean he'd be a bad president, but it certainly doesn't do anything to recommend him. Also on the pragmatic side, it doesn't help him to win.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Tara Davis Tara Davis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 193
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Unless you consistently refer to Japan as "Nihon", and Rome as "Roma", then it is nothing more than a ridiculous affectation to say "PAHKistan". In ENGLISH, the country is pronounced "PACKistan."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Tara Davis Tara Davis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 193
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

"Ad Hominem" is a term which refers specifically to the fallacy of attempting to discredit an idea by attacking the person stating it.

For example, to say "George W. Bush is an idiot," is not ad hominem.

To say, "the Iraq War was a huge mistake, because George W. Bush, who led us into it, is an idiot," is ad hominem. You may feel that both points are true (that the war was a mistake, and that Bush is an idiot), but the suggestion of Bush's idiocy does not do anything to invalidate the case for the war.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Davis View Post
Unless you consistently refer to Japan as "Nihon", and Rome as "Roma", then it is nothing more than a ridiculous affectation to say "PAHKistan". In ENGLISH, the country is pronounced "PACKistan."
In English it is also pronounced as "PAHKistan." I'm guessing "PACKistan" is more often used, but asserting it's one or the other is false. "PARus" (v. "parEE") is nearly ubiquitous, but that's a different case altogether.

This is just the language version of "arugula." i.e., a silly attack on Obama attempting to put a wedge between him and "just folks."
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!

Last edited by AemJeff; 10-11-2008 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: doh! eg <> ie
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Lyle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

He hasn't criticized Republicans about talking about William Ayers, because Barack Obama did befriend him and work with him. Nothing the Republicans are saying is untrue, and they havne't stepped over the line with it.

Calling Barack Obama a Muslim now is over the line, I think... but neither McCain or Palin has ever said any such thing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Tara Davis Tara Davis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 193
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Sorry, but you are flat-out wrong. In US English, it's PACK-istan, not PAHK-istan.

Please go to either Merriam-Webster's web site (m-w.com) or to dictionary.com, and play the audio file to hear for yourself.

Then check your facts before trying to attack people as raging partisans next time.

P.S. I'm not now, and never have been, a McCain supporter.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:15 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Davis View Post
"Ad Hominem" is a term which refers specifically to the fallacy of attempting to discredit an idea by attacking the person stating it.

For example, to say "George W. Bush is an idiot," is not ad hominem.

To say, "the Iraq War was a huge mistake, because George W. Bush, who led us into it, is an idiot," is ad hominem. You may feel that both points are true (that the war was a mistake, and that Bush is an idiot), but the suggestion of Bush's idiocy does not do anything to invalidate the case for the war.
You're conflating a generic ad hominem argument with the ad hominem fallacy.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelgaex View Post
"Ad hominem" is tricky in politics because there is a way to go too far in attacking the person. Certain attacks on character or on family cross the line. However, you can't separate the person from the argument entirely in politics, and it is the person who is ultimately elected.

An example that Glenn and John might appreciate is the Clinton/Obama race. There were few differences in policy (policy being the political equivalent of the logical argument) and the campaign were almost entirely about personal qualification and personality. For instance the whole experience question is precisely an "argument to the person." In the original context of logic, the experience of the person making the argument has no bearing on whether the argument is sound.

Basically what I'm saying is that there is a way to be too personal, but that it is a person running for office, not an idea.

In the context of the diavlog, McCain performing badly in the debate doesn't necessarily mean he'd be a bad president, but it certainly doesn't do anything to recommend him. Also on the pragmatic side, it doesn't help him to win.
What you're saying is generally true. I was making a mch more limited argument about language. There's nothing inherently wrong with an ad hominem argument, it would just need to be applied appropriately (which distinguishes it from just about nothing.)
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Davis View Post
Sorry, but you are flat-out wrong. In US English, it's PACK-istan, not PAHK-istan.

Please go to either Merriam-Webster's web site (m-w.com) or to dictionary.com, and play the audio file to hear for yourself.

Then check your facts before trying to attack people as raging partisans next time.

P.S. I'm not now, and never have been, a McCain supporter.
First: I said nothing about you whatsoever. Secondly, use your ears - the Merriam-Webster isn't, even the OED isn't the last word in pronunciation, or even usage. Both pronunciations are used by people daily.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
What you're saying is generally true. I was making a mch more limited argument about language. There's nothing inherently wrong with an ad hominem argument, it would just need to be applied appropriately (which distinguishes it from just about nothing.)
It's so good to keep learning about English language!

If I understood well:

- ad hominem argument refers to the attributes/ character (most likely negative ones) of a person rather than to the particular arguments that person is making.

- in this sense, it is common occurrence that in political discourse there will be ad hominem references and attacks since the person and his/her character can have an impact on the ability to govern.

- ad hominem fallacy refers to refuting an argument not because the argument itself is wrong, but because of some characteristic of the person who presents the argument.

Interesting... did I get it right? No ad hominem please.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
It's so good to keep learning about English language!

If I understood well:

- ad hominem argument refers to the attributes/ character (most likely negative ones) of a person rather than to the particular arguments that person is making.

- in this sense, it is common occurrence that in political discourse there will be ad hominem references and attacks since the person and his/her character can have an impact on the ability to govern.

- ad hominem fallacy refers to refuting an argument not because the argument itself is wrong, but because of some characteristic of the person who presents the argument.

Interesting... did I get it right? No ad hominem please.
I would just note that the positive or negative aspect of a character attribute isn't relevant. To say Audrey Hepburn was beautiful is certainly ad hominem. To say that Sarah Palin is wrong about William Ayers because she was a beauty queen is an example of ad hominem fallacy.

Hey I didn't refer to you in my argument once! (Oops!)

(And of course we are discussing Latin!)
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I would just note that the positive or negative aspect of a character attribute isn't relevant. To say Audrey Hepburn was beautiful is certainly ad hominem. To say that Sarah Palin is wrong about William Ayers because she was a beauty queen is an example of ad hominem fallacy.

Hey I didn't refer to you in my argument once! (Oops!)
I didn't exclude positive aspects. I said 'most likely'. But, I'll accept the additional clarification...

But, Jeff, I was fishing for compliments. 'Ego supplies' is the technical term.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Sactownxsv Sactownxsv is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Socialism Central, California
Posts: 4
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

It's exceedingly entertaining to see so many people fall into exactly what Glenn was weary of. Obama is, for all intents and purposes, as close to a Hitler type political icon we've seen in America. The difference? What he does with the power, which is what we have yet to see. As a quick explanation, many of us are aware that Hitler was able to target the Jewish population because the German people blamed them for their loss of WWI. The war they had been winning till they basically ran out of money, provided by banks, which were predominantly owned by people of Jewish decent. Then the treaty of Versailles only added insult to injury. The relation to Obama is, there are many recorded accounts where Obama starts to talk about "White Man's Greed" and how it's destroying this country. Very similar to Hitler blaming the Jews.

The majority of you will attack my comparison, and I expect that. If you couldn't accept criticisms of your candidate from a man like Glenn, I don't expect for you to allow me to get away with any.

What is becoming an appalling trend is the mental attacks McCain is receiving. I came into this election knowing one thing, my standards. I think every president should have had some show of duty to this country, and military involvement is the greatest, in my opinion, sacrifice a man can make in the name of America. So the election for easy for me, Obama never had a chance for my single vote, worth absolutely nothing because California always goes blue.

McCain is the man in this election worth more to me simply because he's given more of himself for this country. For anyone to demonize him is truly significant of that person's values. The men and women defending this country don't do so out of ignorance. They aren't sheep, herded into this institution because they are inept at regular society. These are some of the most idealistic and intrinsically good people society has to offer, taking it upon themselves to help maintain this country.

Regardless of anything either candidate can be associated with, regardless of how "stupid" they appear. The fact is, one man made that sacrifice, the other only talked about it as something he thought about in passing.

Your views are welcome.

Last edited by Sactownxsv; 10-11-2008 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-11-2008, 05:54 AM
JIM3CH JIM3CH is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: Lost It With Glenn on This One

I think Glenn Loury made very good points when he was talking about the economic crisis. The last five minutes of this diavlog gives something to ponder. So far the economic crisis is playing out according to Hoyle. We are currently in the ‘rush to find those to blame’ phase, to be followed shortly by the ‘punish the innocent phase‘.

However, while Glenn Loury praises the high rollers for bringing us the last twenty years of prosperity, I tend to believe that conspicuous consumption, in which we all took part every time we tanked up for less than $1.00/gal, is at the root of this collapse. True enough, consumption is a necessary attribute if one wants to live in a vibrant consumer society. But decadent conspicuous consumption, or to give it a fair label --gluttony, is a precursor to demise. Reverent J. Wright was quite correct, in this context, about America’s chickens coming home to roost.

This crisis is about greed gone wild, that‘s true enough; but not greed gone wild on Wall Street. To find the root cause of this world wide mess I would suggest that we Americans need go no further than the short walk to our bathroom mirror.

There is a way out of this mess though, but it involves harder work for lesser pay for many generations to come.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Francoamerican
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Loury and McWhorter are always enlightening, whether they are talking about politics or economics or just shooting the breeze. I agree, however, with some of the other posters on this board that Glenn often seems to bend over backward to find fault with Obama. Too much impartiality begins to look like partiality for McCain. But on one issue he is surely right: Obama's speeches, as eloquent as they are, fail to give a very clear idea of what kind of foreign policy he will conduct once in office. He has not demonstrated much understanding of the Middle East and what needs to be done to extricate the US from Bush's follies; he has stuck to a very conventional line on Israel; he has said nothing about the humongous defense budget and on the distortions in the American economy that result from this. Neither NATO nor Europe figure in his very Americanocentric view of the world... As for China and Asia in general---I have yet to hear anything, but this may be more my fault than his...

Of course American presidential elections are rarely decided by foreign policy considerations. Too bad for the rest of the world!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francoamerican View Post
Obama's speeches, as eloquent as they are, fail to give a very clear idea of what kind of foreign policy he will conduct once in office...
Of course American presidential elections are rarely decided by foreign policy considerations. Too bad for the rest of the world!
Your point raises an interesting question about the extent to which a political campaign fully explicates likely policy? Your ears seem overly sensitive if you did not hear inklings, directives and considered approaches to the tenor and goals of an Obama foreign policy.
The general framework was stated in numerous debates and stump speeches.
Perhaps, like Glenn you are expecting a thesis where an outline is required for political purposes. The outstanding points I heard were: sovereignty and accountability for Iraq; diplomacy and partnership abroad: economic stimulus or investment over sanctions (where applicable).
A framework of sorts, an approach in contrast to the neo-con model which McCain seems all too willing to press further.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactownxsv View Post
Your views are welcome.
Sure. As you expected, I can simply say: you are delusional. Don't expect much follow up to the kinds of arguments you are making. They are so wildly out of touch with reality that there isn't even a small piece of common ground from which a discussion can be started. Plainly wrong from beginning to end.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:27 AM
DoctorMoney DoctorMoney is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 305
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactownxsv View Post
It's exceedingly entertaining to see so many people fall into exactly what Glenn was weary of. Obama is, for all intents and purposes, as close to a Hitler type political icon we've seen in America.
Wow. Too bad you wasted a bunch of time typing out stuff after this that no one will ever read.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:33 AM
DoctorMoney DoctorMoney is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 305
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Glenn, for all his self-professed even handedness, really came off badly this time around because he tried to paint John as some kind of angry partisan when John was only saying the obvious.

On every question about the economy, McCain circles back to 'pork spending'. That's the 'index card thinking' that John refers to at a couple of points, and it's a completely fair critique that I know Glenn, as an economist, has to agree with on the facts alone. Obviously, pork bills and our current economic situation have literally nothing to do with each other. Every time McCain tries to shoe horn his morally upstanding voting record into this realm, he is dissembling and creating confusion in a public that already doesn't know much about how our credit markets work.

Either McCain is intellectually incapable of defending this brand of free market ideology or he cynically believes that the public isn't able to understand the argument. Neither speaks well of him.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:39 AM
DoctorMoney DoctorMoney is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 305
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Davis View Post
Sorry, but you are flat-out wrong. In US English, it's PACK-istan, not PAHK-istan.

Please go to either Merriam-Webster's web site (m-w.com) or to dictionary.com, and play the audio file to hear for yourself.

Then check your facts before trying to attack people as raging partisans next time.

P.S. I'm not now, and never have been, a McCain supporter.
Last I checked, there is no standardized pronunciation of the English language. There will be a lot of people in this country with regional accents that are going to be sad to hear that M-W.com has become the final word on how we make sounds with our mouths.

People are allowed to call their breakfast pastry a croy-sont, but pronouncing the word as it would be in its language of origin is never, ever wrong in English.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMoney View Post
Glenn, for all his self-professed even handedness, really came off badly this time around because he tried to paint John as some kind of angry partisan when John was only saying the obvious.


Either McCain is intellectually incapable of defending this brand of free market ideology or he cynically believes that the public isn't able to understand the argument. Neither speaks well of him.
You bring up good points which apply, not only to McCain's statements about the economy, but to many other topics he addresses. I think that his statements are often so absurd, that any criticism which is proportional to that absurdity, will sound like he is being ridiculed. And that effect is compounded by the obvious indignation which results from hearing a presidential candidate addressing such essential issues so thoughtlessly and stereotypically.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Francoamerican
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

I second you and Ocean. Another crackpot....

Sometimes I think there must be more crackpots per square mile in the US than in any other country.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Francoamerican
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Performed Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvantony View Post
I agree with Glenn that the ability to display one's intelligence "on one's feet" is a poor indicator of intelligence. A good illustration of this is W.V.O. Quine -- one of the 20th century's most important analytic philosophers, best known, perhaps, for his critique of the analytic-synthetic distinction. Quine was terrible on his feet (e.g., in Q&A periods after his lectures; watch a few minutes of this interview to get a sense of this), but a brilliant thinker and writer.

I'm of course not saying that McCain is a brilliant philosopher...
Quine on his feet is hilarious, but philosophers since Thales have always been laughable, falling into wells while sunk deep in thought....to the amusement of Thracian maidens. McCain on his feet is merely a plodding dumbkopf.

Actually, Quine could be quite amusing: I remember a conversation with him in which he claimed that Goethe's view of women---das ewig Weibliche--was worthy of American truckdrivers.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.