Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Means and Ends (Joshua Cohen & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapeye View Post
Exactly. The apparently naive belief that because government is corrupt all that needs to happen is to reduce the size of government and all the huge corporations and other powerful entities will behave in ways that will enhance the general well-being and freedom of individuals.

Somehow, and I don't know how, the multiple voices and actions of individual citizens need to counteract the power of corporations and challenge the corruption of the government. It seems foolish to pretend that either an unregulated free market or an unchallenged government will solve the current problems.
And Ron Paul's belief about America in the world has a similar problem I think. America has been instrumental in creating the world order we have at this time, although, of course, we don't always like what it does. It's far from perfect but it does somewhat give everybody a voice, although the powerful countries still maintain the biggest say.

I know some leftists like RP's ideas because part of what he promotes is non-intervention, and that fits with an anti-war/anti-US imperialism position.

But what he seems to be saying is that America should somehow shrink behind its borders and say to Hell with the rest of us. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. When the old countries finally had to give up maintaining world order, America was waiting in the wings. Who is now?

PS: I actually think China is still quite isolationist, despite their trade and investment activities everywhere. I think what we would have would be back toward chaos, trade wars and the like, if RP's approach of the US abandonning the global institutions, UN, WTO, trade agreements, etc., were to be adopted, which it wont be, of course. But maybe he will make people question the opposite extreme which is the idea of the US dominating everything and everybody and, in a different sense, abandonning the world order it created, for an "imperium".

I think Obama's on the right track, a middle road, in spite of all his lack of experience, which showed, and his difficulties.

Last edited by Diane1976; 01-03-2012 at 11:49 PM..