Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM

Default 58% of Republicans are Birthers

The Data: "Among Republicans only 42% ... say Obama was born in the U.S., with 28% saying he was not, with a very high undecided number of 30%."

Some may spin this to say only a quarter of Republicans are birthers, but, I'm sorry, if you say you don't know whether the President of the United States was born in this country after he has released his birth certificate, you're a birther. Here's a typical example of the undecideds. Remember: This wack job is part of the 30%, not the 28%.

"I'm not saying this whole birther thing is true. I honestly am not sure about this whole birth certificate thing. But if you are the President of the United States, and you're asked to show your birth certificate ... why doesn't he do it? I'm not sure. I don't know. It just seems like a logical guess that he wasn't born here. I mean, his dad was born in Kenya, his brother lives in Kenya now. There's just a lot of things. Why won't he show it? Mr. President, why won't you show it?"

The problem is especially severe in Old Dixie, where fewer than half of all citizens believe the president was born in the United States.

The Question:
The question is what are the implications for our political system if fewer than half of the opposition party respects the legitimacy of the government? Legitimacy is the cornerstone of a stable social order. Should we be casual in dismissing the significance of this growing trend, the growing refusal of tens of millions of Americans to acknowledge the legitimacy of American government?

Links:
— Washington Monthly
— Birther Wacko
— Legitimacy as "the foundation of ... governmental power."