Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Bloggingheads Bloggingheads is offline
BhTV staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,936
Default Under the Mattress

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: Under the Mattress

Woo! Two of BHTV's best!

They should both agree to appear daily. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
David Edenden David Edenden is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 156
Default New Yorker Obama Cover

People Are Correct to Believe that Barack Obama is Half Muslim!

The New Yorker cover only makes sense as satire if they had the same cartoon but have Limbaugh and O’Reilly as the artists sketching the cartoon. That makes sense. The current cover would not look out of place in the Weekly Standard.

However, those who condemn American voters who believe that Barack Obama is at least "half Muslim" are silly and purposely naive.

In many places around the world, including some parts of the USA, your religion is part of your ethnic identity. In a real sense you are born Catholic, born Protestant, born Jewish, born Muslim. It is not a smear or a plot.

In Bosnia if a Muslim family converts to a Catholicism, many in Bosnia, including Muslims, Catholics or the Orthodox would still see them as "Muslims".

In Northern Ireland, if someone converts to Buddhism and is stopped by thugs in a dark alley, here's how the conversation could go:

Thug: Are you Catholic or Protestant?
Victim: I am Buddhist!
Thug: Are you a Catholic Buddhist or Protestant Buddhist?

Being a Buddhist in this situation is not going to stop you from being knee-capped.

The Weekly Standard, home of the "Neo-Con Conspiracy" has, as one of its writers a Suffi Muslim whose name is ... wait for it ... Stephen Schwartz. Apparently Schwartz is half Jewish and was raised in a secular environment, so according to him... he was never Jewish. Tell it to the Marines ... most people in the US as well as the immigration officials for the State of Israel (for obvious reasons) still recognize him as half Jewish.

Obama's task it to convince ordinary Christians and Jewish Americans that the religion of his birth, Muslim, will not affect his loyalty to his current religion, Christianity, or to that of his country.

Given that Barack Obama's father abandoned him while he was still a child ... it should not be too hard a task.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
People Are Correct to Believe that Barack Obama is Half Muslim!
This is like saying that I'm half Republican, because one of my parents was a Republican, even though I'm a Democrat and have been my entire adult life.

What's your motive for trying to get people to perceive Obama as a Muslim?

Could it be his position on Macedonia/Greece?

Last edited by TwinSwords; 07-16-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
David Edenden David Edenden is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

My observation is that religion is part of your ethnic identity. I do not believe that Obama is currently a Muslim, but he was "born" half Muslim ... by definition.

It is easier to understand with Jewish people. "Gregory Baum, an Augustinian priest born an Orthodox Jew" is still considered to be a Jew, by many Jews, notwithstanding his conversion to Catholicism. (http://www.fisheaters.com/jewsvaticanii.html)

When people consider Obama to be "half Muslim" it is the same thing. Not a smear, not a plot ... just a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
piscivorous piscivorous is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,593
Default Re: Under the Mattress

You could run Abraham Lincoln and they wouldn't vote for him. Except that President Lincoln was a Republican so those 25% of Americans that wouldn't vote for a Democrat would defiantly vote for Abraham Lincoln. On a more serious vein is there not a greater percentage of Democrats that would not vote for a Republican even if it were Abraham Lincoln.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
My observation is that religion is part of your ethnic identity. I do not believe that Obama is currently a Muslim, but he was "born" half Muslim ... by definition.

It is easier to understand with Jewish people. "Gregory Baum, an Augustinian priest born an Orthodox Jew" is still considered to be a Jew, by many Jews, notwithstanding his conversion to Catholicism. (http://www.fisheaters.com/jewsvaticanii.html)

When people consider Obama to be "half Muslim" it is the same thing. Not a smear, not a plot ... just a fact.
In a place like Kosovo, ethnicity and religion may be connected, but this is the United States, and in the United States there is no assumption that blacks are Muslims: Islam is not wedded to the "ethnic identity" of African Americans.

It just isn't.

The only way people will ever make such a connection is with people like you actively promoting it.

You know the rumors you're spreading are damaging to Obama. So let me ask you: What's your motive for trying to hurt him?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
creativepig creativepig is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
The New Yorker cover only makes sense as satire if they had the same cartoon but have Limbaugh and O’Reilly as the artists sketching the cartoon. That makes sense. The current cover would not look out of place in the Weekly Standard.
This is precisely the (affected?) misunderstanding surrounding the entire issue. The cover is not satirising Barack Obama, the cover is satirising The Weekly Standard. Dan feels ambivalent that the joke relies on the New Yorker's demographic, and indeed Jonah Goldberg echoes your comment almost exactly. Why would it be different if right-wing pubilcations ran the same cover? Because they are right-wing publications which are propagating these absurdities.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
JoeK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
In many places around the world, including some parts of the USA, your religion is part of your ethnic identity. In a real sense you are born Catholic, born Protestant, born Jewish, born Muslim. It is not a smear or a plot.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
In many places around the world, including
In Northern Ireland, if someone converts to Buddhism and is stopped by thugs in a dark alley, here's how the conversation could go:

Thug: Are you Catholic or Protestant?
Victim: I am Buddhist!
Thug: Are you a Catholic Buddhist or Protestant Buddhist?

Being a Buddhist in this situation is not going to stop you from being knee-capped.
Yeah, but let's be real here: Westerners who converted to Buddhism deserve to be knee-capped.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
David Edenden David Edenden is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Good point!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
David Edenden David Edenden is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

I agree that African Americans in the United States are not Muslims.

However, Obama's father was a Kenyan who himself was "born Muslim", even though Obama said his father was "secular" (read atheist).

I do not believe that religion is wedded to your ethnic identity, but many people do, and what I am trying to say is that it is a fact of life and Obama needs to address it.

If I were a Muslim, I would be pro-Obama because of the residual feeling that Obama may have for the religion of his father.

If I were Jewish, I have a right to be concerned because of the residual feeling that Obama may have for the religion of his father.

that's a fact.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Chef Chef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post

You know the rumors you're spreading are damaging to Obama. So let me ask you: What's your motive for trying to hurt him?

Oh, I doubt it hurts much,... sounds pretty darned "tin eared" to me. Like Borat on the campaign trail.

But my guess is that this flap does hurt the status of Muslims in our government, especially in appointed positions...
I'd hate for them to think that there is a "glass ceiling" above which they cannot be promoted. And it seems like we need to motivate more Muslims to serve in our government, not fewer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Joel_Cairo Joel_Cairo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cambridge MA
Posts: 198
Default Not to call Rosa out or anything, but...

At around 46 minutes, Rosa takes liberals to task for having heaped too much expectation upon Obama himself, rather than upon the idea of the Democratic party taking the reins of gov't more generally. Fair enough, but it's a tricky point to be making when you've been saying stuff like this and this.
__________________
Full Disclosure: I work for BhTV.

Last edited by Joel_Cairo; 07-16-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
I agree that African Americans in the United States are not Muslims.

However, Obama's father was a Kenyan who himself was "born Muslim", even though Obama said his father was "secular" (read atheist).

I do not believe that religion is wedded to your ethnic identity, but many people do
And again, you're flat wrong. The whole point of your post was that in some places, there is an automatic assumption that a particular religion is connected to a particular ethnicity. But your point fails spectacularly, because in America there is no assumption whatsoever that black people are Muslim — even when one of their parents is from the African nation of Kenya.

Why don't you just be honest about what you're really trying to do, which is to spread fear and uncertainty about Obama by suggesting he's a Muslim?

I'm still curious what motivates your slimy smear tactics. Is it really the Greece/Macedonia thing you talk about on your blog?




Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
I am trying to say is that it is a fact of life and Obama needs to address it
Your concern trolling is noted. If you were the least bit sincere, you would acknowledge that Obama has addressed it extensively, and will continue doing so — thanks to people like yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Oh, I doubt it hurts much,... sounds pretty darned "tin eared" to me. Like Borat on the campaign trail.
It's hard for me to evaluate how much it hurts Obama. But judging from some news I've read, the rumors have penetrated quite deeply into certain demographics.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
But my guess is that this flap does hurt the status of Muslims in our government, especially in appointed positions...
I'd hate for them to think that there is a "glass ceiling" above which they cannot be promoted. And it seems like we need to motivate more Muslims to serve in our government, not fewer.
Why do you feel we need more Muslims in our government?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
David Edenden David Edenden is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Obama's position on the the Macedonian/Greek issue ( Oprah, Obama Will Disappoint You) has nothing to do with it.

I am just making an obvious observation.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Edenden on Obama

David Edenden has 18 posts on his blog about Barack Obama's position on the Macedonia/Greek conflict. Read a few of his posts, and it becomes instantly clear why he has picked up and run with this Obama is a Muslim smear.

Some choice quotes:

Quote:
Nato to Macedonians:You're the "******s of the Balkans"!

It appears that the Greek government is going to be successful in vetoing Macedonian membership for Nato. Anyway we look at it, this is a huge setback for Macedonia and the Macedonian people.

Quote:
"Obama's support for Greek racism is so f***ing banal and so g***amn evil."

Quote:
I would love to be a fly on the wall when Obama. and Rice discuss Macedonia and Greece. Would both of them be embarrassed or ashamed because ... you know ... Macedonians are the "******s of the Balkans".

Upon reflection, I don't think so. Obama and Susan Rice are like lawyers who defend Mafia bosses, without a second thought, because that is their designated role in the criminal justice system.

Quote:
"The mistreatment of ethnic Macedonians in Greece is the inspiration for every racist, every fascist and every ethnic cleanser in the Balkans ... I'm talking to you Samantha Power!"

Quote:
Last August, three US senators including presidential candidate Barack Obama introduced a resolution to the US Senate (S. Res. 300), endorsing the Greek-nationalist bullying of the Republic of Macedonia. This resolution raises serious concerns about whether an Obama presidency would pursue a responsible policy vis-a-vis the Balkans.

Quote:
"This is an update to my last post regarding Samantha Power who is on the board of the International Crisis Group (ICG), which is a front for an unmentionable secret organization and is lead by a kangaroo f!#ker. No report has ever appeared from the ICG regarding the the lack of rights for Macedonians in Greece. So you know that our friend Sam has the moral flexibility to work in an Obama White House where a select group of people get to pick and choose who gets the elevator and who gets the shaft."

Quote:
To: Oprah Winfrey
From: David Edenden

Dear Oprah, like many men in your life, Obama will disappoint you ... because you see ... he is not really promising a "new kind of politics", but he is a "business as usual" ... "pay to play" ... "pandering politician".

Obama has supported the Greek oppressor, in the Macedonia - Greek "name" dispute over the the right of ethnic Macedonians to determine their own ethnic identity. He has pandered to the Greek lobby for the purpose of gaining votes and donations at the expense of human rights.

Quote:
David Edenden - My Pseudonym

My family is from Aegean Macedonia. I still have relatives there and revealing my identity could make their lives difficult. Some of my family in Greece have "come out" and are struggling for human rights, but others are still live in fear.

One day (eden den) all Macedonians in Greece will be able to live without fear.

After 17 posts like this, he finally hits on the idea to tar Obama as a Muslim.


All quoted material from David Edenen's blog.

Last edited by TwinSwords; 07-16-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Chef Chef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Why do you feel we need more Muslims in our government?
Hmmm. This doesn't seem like a controversial point of view, but perhaps it is.


Let's start with the assumptions that we will have continued entanglements in the Middle East, and that there will be ongoing concerns about international terrorism for the near future.

Any attempt to address these concerns will require certain linguistic and cultural resources that often overlap with people who are of the Muslim faith.

Not to mention the rather poor optics of government vans surveilling mosques. I'm not that smart about counterterrorism, but that seems to be a stratagem that bought us little intelligence and a lot of acrimony.

Last edited by Chef; 07-16-2008 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
piscivorous piscivorous is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,593
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
... But judging from some news I've read, the rumors have penetrated quite deeply into certain demographics...
Rumors about rumors. That's some elevated conceptualizing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
JoeK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Hmmm. This doesn't seem like a controversial point of view, but perhaps it is.


Let's start with the assumptions that we will have continued entanglements in the Middle East, and that there will be ongoing concerns about international terrorism for the near future.

Any attempt to address these concerns will require certain linguistic and cultural resources that often overlap with people who are of the Muslim faith.

Not to mention the rather poor optics of government vans surveilling mosques. I'm not that smart about counterterrorism, but that seems to be a stratagem that bought us little intelligence and a lot of acrimony.
If children of Muslim immigrants follow Obama's example, abandon their heritage, convert to atheism, or Christianity - whatever, they shouldn't have any problems getting positions in American government. Hell, they might even run for President one day. So, if we forget the whole Black Nationalism thing, Obama's role model if understood properly could do a lot of good for both immigrants and for America.

BTW, how about avoiding foreign entanglement as a strategy for solving the problem of shortage of Muslims among CIA agents?

Last edited by JoeK; 07-16-2008 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscivorous View Post
Rumors about rumors. That's some elevated conceptualizing.
Rumors about rumors? What exactly are you talking about? I don't recall saying anything about "rumors about rumors."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Chef Chef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
BTW, how about avoiding foreign entanglement as a strategy for solving the problem of shortage of Muslims among CIA agents?
Forgive me, but I'm real new here. I'm also a right winger on the BHTV message boards (which doubles my paranoia).

But I hear you talk about Muslim kids converting to Christianity, that we need to forget the "whole Black Nationalism thing" and let's just "avoid foreign entanglements".

So can I just ask whether you are really serious or are you just pulling my leg?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Abu Noor Al-Irlandee Abu Noor Al-Irlandee is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 392
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

David Edenden,

Just so you know, actual Muslims DO NOT think of Obama as half-Muslim.

In fact, the only people who do seem to think that Obama is Muslim or half-Muslim are people who both do not like Muslims and do not like Barack Obama.

http://abunooralirlandee.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
TwinSwords TwinSwords is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Heartland Conservative
Posts: 4,933
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Noor Al-Irlandee View Post
Just so you know, actual Muslims DO NOT think of Obama as half-Muslim.

In fact, the only people who do seem to think that Obama is Muslim or half-Muslim are people who both do not like Muslims and do not like Barack Obama.
Oh, you and your stubborn insistence on facts! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
piscivorous piscivorous is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,593
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Except he offers no facts just his own suppositions.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
JoeK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Forgive me, but I'm real new here. I'm also a right winger on the BHTV message boards (which doubles my paranoia).

But I hear you talk about Muslim kids converting to Christianity, that we need to forget the "whole Black Nationalism thing" and let's just "avoid foreign entanglements".

So can I just ask whether you are really serious or are you just pulling my leg?
I think all those positions are consistent with paleo-conservatism. I am for non-interventionist foreign policy and don't appreciate multiculturalism. Oh, and I am also immigrant, which means that I am emotionally not really an American, but my children will be 100% Americans, which makes me different from Obama who went out of his way to cultivate in his children national identity separate from mainstream American identity (that's why he joined the racist church).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
deebee deebee is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 136
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

If Rosa would be so kind as to run for President on the Socialist Ticket, I would gladly vote for her because I think she has excellent natural instincts regarding how a candidate should handle sticky wicket situations with grace and good sense.

Their exploration of the difficulty of using satire or humor on Obama was also insightful as is Maureen Dowd's most recent column, "May We Mock, Barack? http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html

Dowd cites the fact that late-night comics are handling Obama with kid gloves "because many in their audiences are intoxicated by him and resistant to seeing him skewered -- he has not been flayed by the sort of ridicule that diminished Dukakis, Gore and Kerry." I would also add that he entirely escaped comment during the Primaries, while on the Democratic side merciless fun was made of Dodd, Gravel, Kuchinich and Clinton. I sometimes wonder if he were to become President, would we be able to question him in the same way that we have questioned others? I admit that this worries me some because if we are to get through the hard times ahead, we're going to have to ask very tough questions while maintaining a healthy sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
piscivorous piscivorous is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,593
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Well at least JibJab is getting back into the campaigning so it wont be all humorless.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Chef Chef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 106
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
I am for non-interventionist foreign policy and don't appreciate multiculturalism. Oh, and I am also immigrant, which means that I am emotionally not really an American.
Well, let me suspend judgement on that one, as I highly doubt that being an immigrant precludes you from being "emotionally American".

However, it's interesting that when I mentioned the need for greater linguistic and cultural resources for both counterterrorism and foreign affairs, you assumed I was speaking code for "CIA agents."
That's a tad cartoonish, wouldn't you say?

But in what way do you want our international policy to be non-interventionist? Wouldn't a traditional paleo con want us to make a much larger investment in so-called "soft power". That is, wielding economic, political, and cultural ties in lieu of military bases to empower the US's friends and undermine our enemies?

Those same cultural and linguistic resources are still critical, even if you're using so-called "soft power" rather than more direct intervention.

Let me also note that much of the criticism from the paleo Right about our intervention in Iraq and Afghanistan has been precisely this: that our government did not bother to understand the cultures and political realities in these target countries prior to invasion. This viewpoint is, in a sense, the conservative face of multiculturalism.

Last edited by Chef; 07-16-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
nkirby nkirby is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Default Re: Under the Mattress

Two comments about the New Yorker discussion. First of all I don't think that they were attempting to satirize Obama himself. It was more of a failed attempt to satirize the caricature of Obama (i.e. a satire of the media and the emails), which is a very different goal in my opinion. A satire of Obama himself would look something like that Jibjab video put out today--acting like all Obama ever says is change or drawing him wearing a diaper (which would be a better joke if McCain wasn't so old).

Second, I'll commit a fallacy of hasty generalization by noting that C-SPAN has aired some in-depth polling of, say, a diverse group of Pennsylvanians, which inevitably includes a former Clinton supporter who has bought completely into the ridiculous storyline of Obama being a secret Muslim terrorist. So, while it fits a certain popular narrative to assume that the only people who would believe this stuff are people who would vote Republican, I think that's ignoring the effect of having people who may generally support a Democrat having first supported an opponent of Obama. If some of those, in their passion for Clinton, accepted the premise that Obama was a person who could never be believed, there would be serious cognitive dissonance for them to vote for Obama. I'm not claiming that all former Clinton supports would have serious trouble voting for Obama (instead of McCain), but once someone decides that a politician can never be believed, it's hard for that person to be convinced that their being irrational.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
basman basman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 648
Default Re: knots

For all the kibbitzing, interesting and scary are the panic in Rosa's apocalyptic imgaginings. What person these days who has a couple of bucks--or maybe who doesn't as well-- doesn't walk around with a small knot in his or her gut that tightens and loosens with each blast of economic news?

Itzik Basman
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
harkin harkin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: Under the Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkirby View Post
Two comments about the New Yorker discussion. First of all I don't think that they were attempting to satirize Obama himself. It was more of a failed attempt to satirize the caricature of Obama.......................... So, while it fits a certain popular narrative to assume that the only people who would believe this stuff are people who would vote Republican, I think that's ignoring the effect of having people who may generally support a Democrat having first supported an opponent of Obama.............. I'm not claiming that all former Clinton supports would have serious trouble voting for Obama (instead of McCain), but once someone decides that a politician can never be believed, it's hard for that person to be convinced that their being irrational.

Nice post.

I don't believe Obama is a Muslim (much less a terrorist), but I also don't believe he's much of a Christian either because he apparently slept through or ignored years of sermons.. That's the only way to explain how someone as intelligent as BO could attend Trinity United Church Of Christ and have no clue whatsoever to what was going down there (otherwise you must come to the conclusion that he is a complete fraud who went to church to gain political capital and street cred - in Rev Wright's words, 'he says what he has to say as a politician').

What that means is that I discount the muslim talk just as much as I discount the 'hopity hopity change change' meme.......it's all just hot air to push a political point. I have no idea who BO is and I realize the only way to find out is if and when he reaches the White House. But I am certain of one thing about him, he's shown a nice ability to change his public stance on certain issues in inverse porportion to his ability to admit he's changing his public stance on certain issues. I've been asked why I don't like him more if he's in fact changing his stance to be more in line with my own personal beliefs. The simple and obvious answer is because I can't warm to any politician who seems to be without foundation and willing to tailor his speaking points based on whether he's talking to hard core lefties in February and March or moderates in June and July. Character and trust are more important than potentially empty promises.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
harkin harkin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman View Post
For all the kibbitzing, interesting and scary are the panic in Rosa's apocalyptic imgaginings. What person these days who has a couple of bucks--or maybe who doesn't as well-- doesn't walk around with a small knot in his or her gut that tightens and loosens with each blast of economic news?

Itzik Basman
My gut tightens with each public dollar used to bail out the idiots (both borrowers and lenders, plus everyone who invested in them) who got us here. I've been planning on buying another home for years, but the prices just kept climbing at a completely unsupportable rate. I kept saving, waiting for the eventual downturn (and better prices, better rates) and now that it's here, the government, the borrowers and the instituions are crying out to infuse cash to maintain home values and keep them from actually dropping down to the realistic levels they would be at if it weren't for the wild specualtion and insane practices that got us here in the first place.

This all makes me remember the whole Robert Citron affair in Orange County (derivatives, repurchase agreements, floating rate notes etc) and how perceived profits make fundamentals go out the window. The housing rush of 2000-2006 was because we had thousands and thousands of Citrons, and those people will never learn if you bail them out.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
handle handle is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
Yeah, but let's be real here: Westerners who converted to Buddhism deserve to be knee-capped.
Yeah, 'an ets git dem faggots too! ooops I fergot! Theys the same!! heh heh! yeeeehaaaaaa! Back up the truck Hoss!

Aaawww PAH! we 'uns was jist funnin'! They 'uns was askin fer it!!!

I thought you weren't "emotionally American".... you'll fit right in.

Last edited by handle; 07-16-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 PM
handle handle is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
Obama's position on the the Macedonian/Greek issue ( Oprah, Obama Will Disappoint You) has nothing to do with it.

I am just making an obvious observation.
Nice job getting hits for your blog. You could just put a bunch of key words together and have all of them be links.
If you aren't just trying to get hits, or not on a smear campaign, then why even post your obvious observation?
I realize that the U.S. is a great melting pot, but I have to doubt someone has really been here very long if they can entertain the notion that Oprah would tolerate being disappointed by anyone. Just do a search for "James Frey".

Last edited by handle; 07-16-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
JoeK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Yeah, 'an ets git dem faggots too! ooops I fergot! Theys the same!! heh heh! yeeeehaaaaaa! Back up the truck Hoss!

Aaawww PAH! we 'uns was jist funnin'! They 'uns was askin fer it!!!

I thought you weren't "emotionally American".... you'll fit right in.
Thanks! I certainly hope so.

That reminds me of something else. What happened with West Virginians?
They were all the rage during the primaries, yet today they are all but forgotten. It would be nice if bloggingheads.tv had some West Virginian bloggers on.
Those people seemed like lots of fun.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
handle handle is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
Thanks! I certainly hope so.

That reminds me of something else. What happened with West Virginians?
They were all the rage during the primaries, yet today they are all but forgotten. It would be nice if bloggingheads.tv had some West Virginian bloggers on.
Those people seemed like lots of fun.
LOL. I assume you mean the news clip people saying they'd "had enough of Hussein"?
I wouldn't want to generalize about an entire state.
My observation has been that while not everyone gets their 15 minutes in the spot light, it is usually never much more than just 15 minutes. Even if it's helping paint a candidates supporters as ignorant and racist.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
[...] Even if it's helping paint a candidates supporters as ignorant and racist.
And don't forget incestuous, pace our Vice President.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
handle handle is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,986
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
And don't forget incestuous, pace our Vice President.
Good point, maybe they are good for another 15 minutes...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 PM
popcorn_karate popcorn_karate is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: New Yorker Obama Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post

that's a fact.
No, that there is ignorant tribalism - and that is a fact.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.