Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 AM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Can't Walk Away (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Drudge interesting, observant - these two guys, not

Drudge highlights interesting and important things that are happening in the world. On Drudge today is the Delay conviction ( for a few days ), North Korea ( again, for a few days ), EU finances stuff, more TSA with the broader inclusion of government monitoring of cities. His photo selection is half artistic, half incisive highlighting of the story the photo relates to. Contrast with the urban juveniles at HuffPo who do nothing more than capture and post these freeze frames of Palin or ODonnell with a wierd expression on their face.

For Matt and Bill to say they don't visit the Drudge site and Matt says he does not understand the interest - I think that speaks volumes regarding their understanding of the broader events that are shaping and upcoming in the world.

The Delay conviction is important. The criminalization of politics is a very bad thing. Are Rahm Emanual, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi law abiding and Tom Delay is not? Not at all. Where is John Bohner defending Delay? The North Korea story is huge. China is using NK as a proxy to drive the US out of the region and intimidate and destabilize the democracies of Japan, Taiwan and SK. The riots in Rio - Central and South America is a powderkeg of instability. Those societies are small steps from warlordism, where the central goverment will be powerless to control parts of their countries.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Can't Walk Away (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

I'm pretty sure that's the first full Week in Blog that I've watched since Matt left.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 AM

As someone who flies 60-100 times a year, I'm not so sure if Drudge created or drove this story so much as tapped in to the growing frustration amongst fliers, that I witness all the time. Ive heard both sides of the argument about incorporating the El Al approach and so far nothing has convinced me that it's not worth a try. Even making the airlines responsible for their own security procedures could not be worse than the comedic slugs I see working the security checkpoints.

I partially disagree with Bill regarding the unanimity regarding the outrage regarding the more invasive TSA checks. In the actual lines people are either silent or voicing frustration/outrage. I've yet to hear anyone voice the 'stop whining' side. On the net however, a good portion of the left (yes the same left that voiced outrage over the invasion of privacy and loss of constituional rights that happened post 9/11) seems to be saying 'stop whining, they are from the government and they're here to help'.

As to Rubin's worth at WaPo, time will tell. I don't see how she could be Weigled unless she attacks and conspires on a secret website to discredit an agenda she is a part of only as a part of false advertising.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Drudge interesting, observant - these two guys, not

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve View Post
[Drudge's] photo selection is half artistic, half incisive highlighting of the story the photo relates to. Contrast with the urban juveniles at HuffPo who do nothing more than capture and post these freeze frames of Palin or ODonnell with a wierd expression on their face.
Right, Drudge never does that.

Quote:
For Matt and Bill to say they don't visit the Drudge site and Matt says he does not understand the interest - I think that speaks volumes regarding their understanding of the broader events that are shaping and upcoming in the world.
You're right. It does.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scher View Post
You're right. It does.
Heh. So far as I can tell, Steve is accusing you and Matt of not understanding the world because you aren't interested in tabloid websites.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM

Congradulations Matt on the upcoming baby. It's a wonderful experience.

I guess Drudge's popularity is driven somewhat by he has been around for awhile and how he sensationalizes the stories he covers.

Jennifer Rubin is fairly conservative. She differs from Krauthammer and Will in that she is a bit of a flame thrower and more strident in her opinions. I think The WaPo won't get in her face much.

John
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scher View Post
Right, Drudge never does that.
I think photo selection ( and cropping ) is emerging as one of the most powerful devices a blogger has to communicate their POV. Drudge is leading the way on this front, setting a standard for others to match.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Heh. So far as I can tell, Steve is accusing you and Matt of not understanding the world because you aren't interested in tabloid websites.
I don't think Drudge is a tabloid site at all. And I am accusing Matt and Bill of poorly prioritizing the importance of news stories and event. Their show is the week in blog. No mentions of blogs that are discussing and reporting China and Korea. The war in Afg? Finance?, the doings of the lame duck congress - why should those clowns be in session - they were voted out of power.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The war in Afg? Finance?, the doings of the lame duck congress - why should those clowns be in session - they were voted out of power.
That's only on your side of the border. On this side, we still have a democratic process with rules and time lines. The newly voted clowns aren't in yet.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Did "Dave" Die?
chamblee54
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Are Rahm Emanual, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi law abiding and Tom Delay is not? Not at all.
If you have any evidence any of the above Democrats, or any Democrats at all, or anyone really, has been involved in money laundering, I'm sure the police would like to know.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezboard View Post
If you have any evidence any of the above Democrats, or any Democrats at all, or anyone really, has been involved in money laundering, I'm sure the police would like to know.
I think the process of the government giving billions to GM and GM in turn giving millions to the democrat party as criminal in spirit. Same thing when the big banks fund the democrats and the democrats then let the big banks profit by issuing the GM IPO stock.

What if they make the rule that if you do business with or are employed by the government, you can't contribute to political campaigns?
Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Deactivated User

Send a message via Skype™ to Baltimoron

Quote:
As if Lewis and Scher couldn't read ANY OTHER daily or weekly publication that has editorial standards, wins awards for reporting, or actually succeeds by selling copy. I hope DenvilleSteve is getting his hack and whore allowances from his beloved sites for all the work he does promoting them. If not...CHUMP!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 PM

The Drudge Report is the media template for Conservative Talk Radio. If it's on Drudge, its on the am dial.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjazfan View Post
Jennifer Rubin is fairly conservative. She differs from Krauthammer and Will in that she is a bit of a flame thrower and more strident in her opinions. I think The WaPo won't get in her face much.

John
Right, Krauthammer throws no flames:

"Krauthammer sums up Obama in eight words: “The narcissism of the man is rather unbounded”"
Old 11-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
Right, Krauthammer throws no flames:

"Krauthammer sums up Obama in eight words: “The narcissism of the man is rather unbounded”"
Have you read Jennifer Rubin? I was trying to draw a distinction but perhaps it didn't come off. Krauthammer doesn't minch words but he is pretty cerebral in his approach whereas Rubin is less so. She appears to have something biting in every paragraph.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 11-26-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
As to Rubin's worth at WaPo, time will tell. I don't see how she could be Weigled unless she attacks and conspires on a secret website to discredit an agenda she is a part of only as a part of false advertising.
I don't understand the Rubin getting Weigeled bit. I thought Dave was outed by someone who got a hold of some damning things he posted on Journolist.

How would that apply to Rubin? Since she is on the right, I doubt she ever posted there.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Have you read Jennifer Rubin? I was trying to draw a distinction but perhaps it didn't come off. Krauthammer doesn't minch words but he is pretty cerebral in his approach whereas Rubin is less so. She appears to have something biting in every paragraph.

John
No I haven't ever heard of her until five minutes ago. The way you describe her, she sounds like Ann Coulter. Someone new to check out!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
No I haven't ever heard of her until five minutes ago. The way you describe her, she sounds like Ann Coulter. Someone new to check out!
I don't know what this WaPo/ Dave Weigel deal is about. I've heard it mentioned here a few times but it went above my radar. For sure a right winger Jennifer is not crass and over the top like Ann Coulter.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 11-26-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Congrats to Matt for his soon-to-be discovery of the joys (and miseries) of parenthood!

And the new airport security measures suck!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know what this WaPo/ Dave Weigel deal is about. I've heard it mentioned here a few times but it went above my radar. For sure a right winger Jennifer is not crass and over the top like Ann Coulter.

John
so somewhere in the middle between Coulter and Krauthammer. I'm definitely interested.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Thanks for jumping in Bill !

I was afraid someone might have thought Drudge was better than Huffington. Glad you set them straight.

Hope you continue to keep an eye on D.S. - we need to remember that whenever a liberal - no matter what - is bad, a conservative is even worse.

We need to keep pushing back!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Jennifer Rubin? I don't think so.

I had never heard of Jennifer Rubin until Matt the "conservative" mentioned and highlighted her. Skimming thru her writings at commentary, she spends a lot of time making the case for Israel against the Arabs. Fine. Not of great importance to the US, but everyone is entitled to their allegiances and interests.

Here is snippet of her domestic writing: "... The challenge, I would argue, for the GOP is to find a Tea Party–friendly figure who is still capable of expanding the base and capturing key independent voters. There aren’t many contenders who fit that bill — Chris Christie and Paul Ryan may be the most widely discussed among GOP activists and serious conservative wonks. ..."

I find this kind of writing a bit boring. I also sense some hostility or push back against the nationalism sentiments of tea party voters. The split in the republican/tea party is over foreign policy. I think tea party voters don't care much at all for the war in Afg. They want us to shoot down North Korean missiles, but don't want US forces directly opposing China. My guess also is that tea party voters would support increased tariffs on Chinese imports.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
As if Lewis and Scher couldn't read ANY OTHER daily or weekly publication that has editorial standards, wins awards for reporting, or actually succeeds by selling copy. I hope DenvilleSteve is getting his hack and whore allowances from his beloved sites for all the work he does promoting them. If not...CHUMP!
There's a terrible Sci-Fi novel about the singularity called accelerando, and in the early chapter there's a point where the protagonist is first waking up and hooking into the networks after being offline for several hours. It's that point of futureshock that's so disorienting and incredibly wrecking for those who live constantly on the edge just to keep their edge. I often feel that way times. Drudge is most useful right at that moment. If you're serious about current events, yes you should use news.google.com, or reddit amongst others, but it's very easy if you're in a rush or a morning routine to misread a headline on those sites.

The problem with these other aggregators is that they can misrepresent something or even miss important stories. For example, you might read the top story on google: "Canadian Prime Minister Condemns at UN...", just because the most recent news story on North Korea invading South Korea happened to be the article put up by cbc.ca 15 seconds ago.

It would be easy to think, "Oh nothing important happened. I think I'll just put a quick little tweet about what I'm having for breakfast. Maybe go out for a walk or see a new movie..." and just happen to miss the most important story of the universe!

Like or hate Drudge, in 5 seconds you get the information you need, which is what news headlines should do. Given how many important events are happening lately, if your job or your hobby is commenting on current events (which its safe to say both bloggers here qualify for that), and your ability to comment on fast happening stories in a sharp and relevant matter - as the stories are happening - is your edge over your competition, and that's the reason why people go to your blog or website, failing to check Drudge once a day is foolish. Obviously during a slower news period you could avoid checking him all together, since he's much less useful then, but there's so many fast moving stories happening this month you need something to manage it all. You need EDITING for the Aggregating!

It really just comes down to how much they trust their aggregators to be useful. I've use all sorts of different ones, and for fast moving important stories, when I first get online after hours off, nothing is as good as Matt Drudge for 5 seconds of checking. Now if you have more than a few seconds, there's obviously better websites, and if you've never used Drudge your ability to immediately filter his sensationalism and promotion would make the website useless.

For me it frames what websites I need to check out and whose opinions I will be wanting to look at. Economic news? I go to my economic blogs. A dispute within a political party? Go check out political blogs, and so forth.

Try it for a week as the first thing you check in the morning after getting up, or any time you've been offline about 8 hours. I think you'll find it improves the rest of your internetting considerably.

Or I guess you can just read the paper in the morning. Aged News is like Wine right?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 AM

I want to register my disagreement with the characterization of Accelerando as a "terrible" novel. It's a classic in its genre, one of the great novels in the cyberpunk tradition, and one any fan of Bruce Sterling, William Gibson, Samuel Delaney, Philip K. Dick, etc... ought to read - as well as the rest of Charles Stross's output.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Like or hate Drudge, in 5 seconds you get the information you need ...
I want to register my disagreement with the characterization of Drudge as providing "information" I "need." My impression, based on how many people bust him and on my own sporadic visits, is that he links to a lot of stuff that is at best dubious and often downright wrong. I also have the impression that he does not do a good job of linking to news in wide swaths of the spectrum that I care about.

I suppose it's also the case that I feel little need to be presented with a whole mess of headlines in one place, and in fact, find it rather a hindrance to giving myself the feeling that I'm getting caught up after having been offline for a while. I prefer to glance at the front page of a good newspaper site, where things are usually rank-ordered more in line with what I'd call important. To over-simplify a bit, my first questions are "Have we declared war on anyone? Has anyone else declared war on anyone else? Have there been any disasters I should know about? Have there been any discoveries (scientific or otherwise) that I should know about? Did Congress or the White House do anything of significance? Did some other powerful person do something that will have national or international effect?" And so on.

My feeling about the news and being away from it for a bit is a lot like my feeling of being away from office email while on vacation -- most things that seemed Really Important at the moment turn out to be comically trivial 24, 48, or 72 hours later. And in the area Drudge leads with most heavily -- political fauxtrage and nontroversies -- this seems especially so. And for the few things there that actually have some lasting importance, well, I'm sure I'll catch up with them soon enough.

Yes, I know Drudge links to other sorts of stories, too. But you usually have to scroll and read a bit to see them, which you have to do on any newspaper's front page or other aggregation site. And apart from the stuff he has in giant type, there are too many headlines, they rarely have any context or blurbs, and he links to too many sources I find non-credible (like Breitbart) or at least of secondary importance (like Politico), which means I have to hover over the links before I decide whether to click them. So, I don't buy your "5 seconds" claim either, at least given how my mind works when looking at a collection of pointers to news stories.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I want to register my disagreement with the characterization of Accelerando as a "terrible" novel. It's a classic in its genre, one of the great novels in the cyberpunk tradition, and one any fan of Bruce Sterling, William Gibson, Samuel Delaney, Philip K. Dick, etc... ought to read - as well as the rest of Charles Stross's output.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've recently been reading Charlie Stross's blog, and I quite enjoy that.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
I want to register my disagreement with the characterization of Drudge as providing "information" I "need." My impression, based on how many people bust him and on my own sporadic visits, is that he links to a lot of stuff that is at best dubious and often downright wrong. I also have the impression that he does not do a good job of linking to news in wide swaths of the spectrum that I care about.

I suppose it's also the case that I feel little need to be presented with a whole mess of headlines in one place, and in fact, find it rather a hindrance to giving myself the feeling that I'm getting caught up after having been offline for a while. I prefer to glance at the front page of a good newspaper site, where things are usually rank-ordered more in line with what I'd call important. To over-simplify a bit, my first questions are "Have we declared war on anyone? Has anyone else declared war on anyone else? Have there been any disasters I should know about? Have there been any discoveries (scientific or otherwise) that I should know about? Did Congress or the White House do anything of significance? Did some other powerful person do something that will have national or international effect?" And so on.

My feeling about the news and being away from it for a bit is a lot like my feeling of being away from office email while on vacation -- most things that seemed Really Important at the moment turn out to be comically trivial 24, 48, or 72 hours later. And in the area Drudge leads with most heavily -- political fauxtrage and nontroversies -- this seems especially so. And for the few things there that actually have some lasting importance, well, I'm sure I'll catch up with them soon enough.

Yes, I know Drudge links to other sorts of stories, too. But you usually have to scroll and read a bit to see them, which you have to do on any newspaper's front page or other aggregation site. And apart from the stuff he has in giant type, there are too many headlines, they rarely have any context or blurbs, and he links to too many sources I find non-credible (like Breitbart) or at least of secondary importance (like Politico), which means I have to hover over the links before I decide whether to click them. So, I don't buy your "5 seconds" claim either, at least given how my mind works when looking at a collection of pointers to news stories.
I tried the 5 second Drudge Check when I did that post, it was sufficient to gather all the information needed to frame the rest of my aggregation services (though a bit on the tight side, 10 or 15 seconds is usually sufficient). News.Google (for example) is usually closer to three or four times that, and another website like Politico or an aggregation service, even a news website like CNN either risk having irrelevant stories on them or are enough busy work that it could take as much as a minute or two to get the data you need to frame your consumption of information. At that rate I might as well just pull up Twitter...

"Ahh-bloo ahh-bloo, a whole minute! In my day we used to have 7k baud modems, and we had to connect to the teleserver before we gophered our usenets and the whole thing shut down if you got a telephone call."

If you have the whole minute, or an hour, or whatever, you obviously use something better. Drudgereport is a tool, an editor for the incoming stream of information, one of many out there, but in my opinion the fastest to use. Yes, as a filter it has problems, but if you know how the filter works, it's a lot easier to use. Once you get good enough, you can do this automatically. But if there's another headline aggregator out there you prefer, I'm sure it's just as good.

And if you're the kind of guy who sits with a cup of tea on a lazy afternoon enjoying the Sunday Times, well that obviously defeats the point.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
[...] And if you're the kind of guy who sits with a cup of tea on a lazy afternoon enjoying the Sunday Times, well that obviously defeats the point.
Tea?

If Marlowe were here, he'd slap your face.

Nothing but coffee for me: hot, black, and bitter, in keeping with my mood.

But seriously ...

If you are the sort of person who feels most efficiently informed by starting with an aggregator and skimming headlines, and who wants to feel efficiently informed, come to that, so be it. That's fine. No reason why our brains should work the same or our tastes should match.

I tried aggregators for a while, and I find they have two problems (apart from the filtering you mention): it feels like trying to drink from a fire hose, and even if I could eliminate all the crud I don't care about, aggregators aggravate my worries about being scattershot and superficial and a dilettante. It is all too easy for me to feel when I am reading any news site online that I am hoping madly from shiny object to shiny object, and instead of gaining any understanding, I am instead further filling my head with clutter.

So, yes. Enjoying the Sunday Times is something I do. But more to the point here, starting with a look at the Times's front page, on any day of the week, is a better way for me to get started than are any aggregators. And even that can be a bit much. I decided long ago that it was hopeless to think one could be on top of everything, even with very generous definitions for "everything," and so I have since tried to push myself toward learning a bit more about a few things at a time. I figure that anything in the news that's important enough will come to my attention soon enough, even without my going looking for it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I've recently been reading Charlie Stross's blog, and I quite enjoy that.
I like Stross's blog quite a bit, too. His novels are also consistently good to great.