Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 PM
BhTV staff

Default Science Saturday: Religion, Sex, and the Internet (John Horgan & George Johnson)

Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Default Lost

So did Lost ever get around to having time traveling Aliens?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm SO awesome!

Default Re: Science Saturday: Religion, Sex, and the Internet

Horgan, I love ya, but i'm gonna have to call you out on the "research" you based your article on. fMRI + evopsycho = N/A. i don't think it even qualifies as a theory. but we do have to guess, right? i'd be much more inclined to go with Wade, cuz he's the man. it's obviously strongly selected for, not a spandrel at all.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/we...ew/12wade.html

he wrote a whole book on it, fgsakes!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 AM

Default Sorry, John

Your (and your girlfriend's) interpretation of the Lost finale is wrong. The island wasn't purgatory--everything that happened on the island happened. But the "flash sideways" universe was a sort of purgatory--it was created in a timeless realm after all the characters had died, as Christian Shepherd said, some before Jack, some long after.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Science Saturday: Religion, Sex, and the Internet (John Horgan & George Johnson)

I believe Jyminee is right. The events on the island actually happened. The finale would be very unsatisfying had the island been purgatory, because you want the sacrifices made there to have been for something - especially Jack's death. The implication is that had Jack not defeated the Man-in-Black/Fake Locke, the happy ending with all the characters reuniting would not have been possible.

However, I think the very nature of the show demands that we be open minded about interpretations. After all, the island and the story are really just grand metaphors for our own search for meaning. You have to find it for yourself, not be spoon fed an answer. That’s what was so clever and bold and ambitious about this show: it wants us to have a debate about it... and it turns out almost everyone who watched it is!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Science Saturday: Religion, Sex, and the Internet (John Horgan & George Johnson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianimator View Post
I believe Jyminee is right. The events on the island actually happened. The finale would be very unsatisfying had the island been purgatory, because you want the sacrifices made there to have been for something - especially Jack's death. The implication is that had Jack not defeated the Man-in-Black/Fake Locke, the happy ending with all the characters reuniting would not have been possible.

However, I think the very nature of the show demands that we be open minded about interpretations. After all, the island and the story are really just grand metaphors for our own search for meaning. You have to find it for yourself, not be spoon fed an answer. That’s what was so clever and bold and ambitious about this show: it wants us to have a debate about it... and it turns out almost everyone who watched it is!
Well even if it was "purgatory" then there is still the matter that they were able to transcend this world thanks to his actions I would think

Interperation is key to Lost and the way they were able to keep things a bit fresh. If you looked at it as some form of parable about faith etc then you have one story, if you look at the science fiction aspects ( the Desmond, Eloise plot ) you have another story. They were able to weave them together ( mmm the weaving done by Jacob :-) )

I haven't finished the diavlog but if it isn't mentioned then let me mention it here, a show like Lost would not have been possible without the hyperlink ( mmm hyperlink, kind of a shortcut through time and space, like jacob's lighthouse ) ... sorry bout that. There were too many connected things, too many shifts in time to keep track of pre-hyperlink. The creators themselves used the very fact that people would research and link to stuff they left in the show ( easter eggs and such ) to keep people guessing and interested. Lostpedia was the reference that I used and it made my life a lot easier.

Right now George is talking about the internet offering stimulation to the "reptilian brain stem" and I would say that our primate part of the brain is the one that would offer the most unconscious stimulation, even quite apart of the cortex and prefrontal lobes. Variety is the spice of life and damn if you don't get that with the internet in spades.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Default Re: the Internet

(chortle) I think John just inadvertently validated my decision to take an 8-week break from the internet, starting yesterday. I should probably quit watching this now...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Whatfur

Default Re: the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier_sally View Post
(chortle) I think John just inadvertently validated my decision to take an 8-week break from the internet, starting yesterday. I should probably quit watching this now...
Some might call your anti-Internet dicipline into question based on the purity of your application of said decision thus far.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Thank you John and George for another pleasant exchange of ideas.

I listened to this diavlog late last night. I probably shouldn't have, because today I have only a vague recollection of the topics. The conversation regarding "Lost" will remain a mystery as I barely watch any TV at all.

However, I read John's article about Religion and Sex. Although the article has, in my opinion, some valid points, it seems to me that at least the title is quite a stretch if not plainly misleading. It does remind me of some remarks by Susan Blackmore about the sales benefit of the word sex in any consumer product.

I found one of the comments at Scientific American comment section to be particularly helpful. It certainly captures my thoughts quite well. I got lazy and I'll just reproduce the comment here, with due credit to its author:

Quote:
drollere at 03:24 PM on 06/03/10

these speculations suffer from three general faults.

the first is use the term "religion" without specifying exactly what the term refers to -- belief, or practice, or what exactly? prayer, guilt, transcendental vision, messianic certitude, conformity to dogma, moral code, fasting and penance, gender stereotypes, creation myths, priestly hierarchy, institutional administration, sacred texts? i find it very hard to see any connection between the process that allows us to misidentify clouds or sounds in the night, and the process that produces holy wars and consuming feelings of guilt or shame.

the second fault is attributing to religion a single function that is its "adaptive purpose". early on, religion probably provided continuity across time -- a framework for oral history and heritage practices of control, in particular in medicine, hunting, and agriculture. thereafter, in the agricultural societies, religion provided the overarching authority for mass organization -- civil codes, priestly administration, criminal punishments, and social control through fear. still later, religion becomes an independent institutional force relying on the perpetuation of superstitions such as salvation and heaven, against which first kings, then elites, and finally societies as a whole have struggled to liberate themselves.

finally, the correlation of religion with specific patterns of brain activity is a fool's errand. any human practice that spans such a long history and such a wide variety of social practices and psychological expressions is obviously not a unitary process.

it's also counterproductive. we should be studying why individuals are susceptible to religious belief, and how this is transmitted in preadult development, so that we can understand how to eradicate this blight from human affairs.
Indeed, one of the most salient objections I had regarding the article is the confusion between certain very limited aspects of religious experience and religion as a whole.

The relationship between the release of sexual (psychic) energy, especially if suppressed as it may have been by the religious figures mentioned in the article, and the experience of mystical states of mind is clearly conceivable. However, there may be only a limited overlap, or perhaps one serves as a fuel for the other, without an exact superposition.

In terms of John's comments on Karen Schrock's article, it seems again plausible that people with autism or Asperger's may lack the neural connections that allow certain forms of abstract thinking and attribution of meaning, or may lack association between the areas of the brain that process concrete information and emotional experience areas. The implication being that, in order to understand or experience religion at an abstract level, these associations are needed.

The theory of mind interpretation as a basis for religion appears to be a far less original idea. The role of magical thinking in primitive cultures and how it has evolved to include other forms of religious beliefs is quite well known. In our attempt to understand the world we can't avoid using our imprints that attribute intention and purpose even to random or natural events.

Thank you again for a thought provoking discussion.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm SO awesome!

this quote from SCIAM is taken directly from a paper posted in Cell or PLOSOne several months ago. first of all, they should credit the authors unless they are one themselves and secondly, it's a misguided attempt to explain religion as a non-evolved trait. the fourth part of that side of the argument they left out is that when a wide array of (including athiests and others of many religions) people are exposed to a novel moral dilemma they all respond similarly. unfortunately, this lends itself much more towards universal morality within brain circuitry than anything else. Pinker, etc. have covered this extensively. the first part of the comment is completely ridiculous as this is the same argument those against universal grammar make. it'd be like saying "How do you even categorize language?? I mean, there's Chinese, English....they're all different!" Ridiculous. They (religions and grammar) all have common denominators. Wade, Wilson, etc. have been through this extensively. The second two part of the comment is closer to a Just So story than anything else. The third part is even stupider to include in a paper or a comment (especially given recent developments in neuroscience.) The chance that religion arose under selective pressure before man left africa is overwhelmingly more likely than trying to explain its arrival independently in EVERY culture on Earth in every continent. People who make these arguments probably don't follow genetics or neuroscience so they don't realize how dumb it sounds.

Last edited by I'm SO awesome!; 06-05-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm SO awesome! View Post
this quote from SCIAM is taken directly from a paper posted in Cell or PLOSOne several months ago. first of all, they should credit the authors unless they are one themselves and secondly, it's a misguided attempt to explain religion as a non-evolved trait. the fourth part of that side of the argument they left out is that when a wide array of (including athiests and others of many religions) people are exposed to a novel moral dilemma they all respond similarly. unfortunately, this lends itself much more towards universal morality within brain circuitry than anything else. Pinker, etc. have covered this extensively. the first part of the comment is completely ridiculous as this is the same argument those against universal grammar make. it'd be like saying "How do you even categorize language?? I mean, there's Chinese, English....they're all different!" Ridiculous. They (religions and grammar) all have common denominators. Wade, Wilson, etc. have been through this extensively. The second two part of the comment is closer to a Just So story than anything else. The third part is even more ridiculous to include in a paper or a comment (especially given recent developments in neuroscience.) The chance that religion arose under selective pressure before man left africa is overwhelmingly more likely than trying to explain its arrival independently in EVERY culture on Earth in every continent. People who make these arguments probably don't follow genetics or neuroscience so they don't realize how ridiculous it sounds.
You have included too many "ridiculous" in your comment for me to be able to follow. It's a pity because it looks like you may have had a few interesting ideas there.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm SO awesome!

good point - i changed two of them. and those aren't my ideas they're the ideas of the leading experts in this field. i'm sure John's read them but he probably needed something to write about.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
good point - i changed two of them.
LOL!

Wow! What a difference! You changed ridiculous for stupid and dumb!

Now it has all become so much more meaningful.

Awesome!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm SO awesome!

yeah, you're still not that smart. not even worth making fun of
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I'm doing my best to grow up, believe me, but it isn't easy.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I gotta say, fed/ISa, Ocean's initial reaction mirrored mine quite closely, even given that I read your comment, evidently, after you'd replaced some of the ridiculouses. That is, you really sounded like you knew what you were talking about, but your indulging in sweeping and dismissive statements got in the way.

I am well aware that I suffer the same flaw at times. I would claim, though, that this only helps me to know it when I see it.

No biggie. I just think you ought to have seen Ocean's initial response as constructive criticism, and her follow-up as more of that, not to mention a well-played zing. A spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, in other words.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
...I am well aware that I suffer the same flaw at times. I would claim, though, that this only helps me to know it when I see it.

.... A spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, in other words.
I think I just puked a little bit.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
We can only hope you'll inhale it.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm SO awesome!

well, the reason i sound like i know what i'm talking about is because i'm simply regurgitating what several of the top experts in this area (Pinker, Wade, DS Wilson, etc) have had established for years. it's not really a debate or my opinion - these people have written lengthy books on this very subject and, for some reason, ocean and John haven't picked up on this yet. all they have to do is look on Wikipedia. it's hard to not make sweeping statements when the other side of the "debate" is so flawed - not worth much of a fight.

Last edited by I'm SO awesome!; 06-06-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
well, the reason i sound like i know what i'm talking about is because i'm simply regurgitating what several of the top experts in this area (Pinker, Wade, DS Wilson, etc) have had established for years. it's not really a debate or my opinion - these people have written lengthy books on this very subject and, for some reason, ocean and John haven't picked up on this yet. all they have to do is look on Wikipedia. it's hard to not make sweeping statements when the other side of the "debate" is so flawed - not worth much of a fight.
In some sense, you are entirely correct, and I plead this, sometimes, when I myself get a little snappish or supercilious.

However, as George Washington Carver once said, if you want the cattle to eat, you have to place the fodder where they can reach it.

There are some things that deserve to be dismissed out of hand (creationism, moon-landing hoaxes, astrology, Obama is not an American, etc.). But in this case, I think you are dismissing something that has not quite reached that same depth, from the perspective of this community, at least, no matter how much you have already become convinced. It could be purely because people aren't yet regularly browsing Cell or PLoS, or what have you. It takes time for newly established findings to percolate. And this is assuming you (and the other sources you cite) are correct. I am not educated enough to judge. At the risk of sounding like Lucianne's boy, this is central to my point.

Not telling. Just suggesting.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 06-06-2010 at 12:44 AM..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm SO awesome!

tru dat, homie. but you know me, though, I'm too rude and impatient to withhold a good throttling. john really has no excuse, though. i honestly suspect he just needed to fill space or is using the weird, contrarian part of his brain for his article. Once you read Pinker's work and Wade or Wilson's books on religion the evidence for evolved modules pre-exodus from Africa (etc) is completely overwhelming. it's on par with evidence for Pinker's universal grammar.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
tru dat, homie. but you know me, though, I'm too rude and impatient to withhold a good throttling. john really has no excuse, though. i honestly suspect he just needed to fill space or is using the weird, contrarian part of his brain for his article. Once you read Pinker's work and Wade or Wilson's books on religion the evidence for evolved modules pre-exodus from Africa (etc) is completely overwhelming. it's on par with evidence for Pinker's universal grammar.
Wouldn't that be Chomsky? before he went so terribly wrong?

BTW, from my reading of Pinker, he is not so much of a researcher as he is a person who knows how to interpret and assimilate research and explain its implications. This is not to say he hasn't done any research.

Last edited by badhatharry; 06-06-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM

How did Chomsky go wrong?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
How did Chomsky go wrong?
I should have said, "when he used to be a scientist" and I was actually returning to edit my post.

Suffice it to say, I think his politics are quixotic.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Sounds like he is still a top linguist/scientist that has political/human views different from you...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
Sounds like he is still a top linguist/scientist that has political/human views different from you...
Yes, that would be quite true about the politics. I'm not sure about the human part,... I think both of us are.

Except I don't know how much science he is doing these days. In his heyday, however, he was a giant.

Last edited by badhatharry; 06-06-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm SO awesome!

I don't follow linguistics all that close but I wrote Pinker cuz he deviates from Chomsky in that Chomsky didn't think UG was a result of specific brain modules caused by evolution and selective pressure. I'm not sure if he still thinks that but I don't follow him simply because people that really love him tend to be really douchy granola types.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Yes, attributing that to Pinker was completely wrong by Mr. Awesome. I started writing the same post, but decided it wasn't worth my while to get involved
--Psalm 34:15
Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm SO awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Language_Instinct

not quite; first paragraph, last line.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
tru dat, homie. but you know me, though, I'm too rude and impatient to withhold a good throttling.
Again, I know the feeling, as no shortage of others will attest (e.g.). But we all need to push back against each other from time to time, and I think it was especially worth doing here (by Ocean, initially), because you really were obscuring some worthwhile things you had to say.

However, it is also fine to post online just to vent some steam, and if you'd rather not have to pull your punches because, say, you have to do that too much AFK, or for whatever reason, that's certainly understandable and of course permitted.

Quote:
john really has no excuse, though. i honestly suspect he just needed to fill space or is using the weird, contrarian part of his brain for his article. Once you read Pinker's work and Wade or Wilson's books on religion the evidence for evolved modules pre-exodus from Africa (etc) is completely overwhelming. it's on par with evidence for Pinker's universal grammar.
Someday, I would like to read these, yes. Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 06-06-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm SO awesome!

if they're too long you can easily find summaries of their work on Wiki, Amazon or Youtube. it can condense several hours of reading to less than 10 minutes if you just want the outline of it
Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
if they're too long you can easily find summaries of their work on Wiki, Amazon or Youtube. it can condense several hours of reading to less than 10 minutes if you just want the outline of it
Thanks.

Actually, I probably have something close to the outline version of it down, thanks to you and others here on Bh.tv. I would like to read the ideas, fully fleshed out, but it's just not high enough on my priority list right now. Someday, though, I hope.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
This comment is as obscure as the one with the abundant "ridiculous". Why? Because you are responding very viscerally to what you imagine others' arguments are. You dismissed several arguments presented by John (?), a commenter at Scientific American, and by me, with a set of arguments that are somewhat related but not necessarily addressing the same topics. Since you presented your perspective with a dismissive and ridiculing attitude towards others, you really didn't leave any room for discussion. Furthermore, even when you seem to support your claims by mentioning valid sources, you really don't demonstrate whether you understand their arguments or anyone else's.

The arguments that you hint at don't necessarily contradict the arguments that you find so ridiculous. I don't know who you are or what your level of knowledge is, but in the way you post, we will never know. My initial intention was to get you to expand on your comments. Now I see that may not be possible. There are a whole bunch of books that we all can read.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm SO awesome!

this was the initial link i posted. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/we...ew/12wade.html

i don't know what's going on anymore but i'll finish by saying this is well established research by A1 guys, who are quite famous, that have been working on this for decades. the info is so comprehensive i wouldn't know where to start other than just linking to Wade's book or either of the Wilson's or Pinker's work. John and Bob are a little behind the curve on this topic.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
this was the initial link i posted. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/we...ew/12wade.html

i don't know what's going on anymore but i'll finish by saying this is well established research by A1 guys, who are quite famous, that have been working on this for decades. the info is so comprehensive i wouldn't know where to start other than just linking to Wade's book or either of the Wilson's or Pinker's work. John and Bob are a little behind the curve on this topic.
Yes, even when I'm still not so smart, I think I know what you mean.

You may already have watched these, but in case you didn't, here are the links: Wade , Wilson (I think this is the Wilson you may be making reference to), and Pinker (although not sure that this the topic that relates most to the current discussion, perhaps at the end of the diavlog).

These cover some aspects of the discussion but far from all.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm SO awesome!

very nice. thanks for reminding me about these. i'm gonna watch them all again cuz they were all badass. I could make a dig at Bob about the typical calibre of guest compared to these titans but i know he's got too many dandelions in his yard to deal with that kind of thing
here's Wilson again on FORA last year if anyone needs it.

http://fora.tv/2009/11/17/Great_Issu...on#fullprogram

to all readers of this thread - I highly recommend this fellow as a follow up to all three of these guys. Wilson and Pinker can't touch this guy:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=185_1275600920&c=1
(NSFW)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
i don't know what's going on anymore but i'll finish by saying this is well established research by A1 guys, ...
Those the steak sauce dudes, who toppled ketchup?

In that case, I concur, wholeheartedly.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm SO awesome!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 PM

I actually got through most of this and & enjoyed it. Several points.

Lost - As stated, the island wasn't purgatory - "What Happened, happened". I also found it humorous that John and George did the little intellectual Kabuki dance when discussing 'Lost'. Neither wanted to look like they cared -or watched - too much TV, so the whole discussion had that "I normally don't watch TV, But..." vibe.

"Atheists and Asperberger's Syndrome" - this certainly would explain a lot of obnoxious atheist behavior. One such behavior, is the "Proud Professional Atheist." These jerks are constantly proclaiming their atheism, unasked, and pointlessly. For example, an atheist at work seems to start every other sentence with "As an atheist... " or "I'm an Atheist, so I (don't) like, X, Y,Z). It'd be funny, if it wasn't so annoying and out-of-place at times.