Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Don Zeko Don Zeko is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Exiled to South Jersey
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
They're both Islamist so there's basically no difference between the two.
If this is at all indicative of your other opinions, then you're an idiot. I'm not going to respond to you any more. I'm also probably going to get sent to the dungeon for this, but I have no regrets.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
If this is at all indicative of your other opinions, then you're an idiot. I'm not going to respond to you any more. I'm also probably going to get sent to the dungeon for this, but I have no regrets.
Maybe, maybe not. Consider again the following weaksauce:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
Our regular commenter cop has taken a well deserved vacation that started on August 27 and will last until September 6. Our stand-in cops are doing their best to adhere to her criteria for intervention, but, given the nearly ineffable nature of these criteria, will inevitably fail from time to time. So if you sense some inconsistency in enforcement—either toward harshness or toward leniency or both—it’s probably not your imagination. But rest assured that it will be temporary.
And anyway, it's hardly a dungeon if the likes of whatanidiot is able to return to the main threads unscathed.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Hey look ... look ... we haz more wingnut.
Hey, graz, how would you like a San Francisco treat?
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
Hey, graz, how would you like a San Francisco treat?
Too much salt in rice-a-roni. I make my own risotto or real wild rice for that matter ... which isn't rice at all ... but I digress ... what's not to love in a stereotype?

Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
look look is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,886
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

'Night, cowboy.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
If this is at all indicative of your other opinions, then you're an idiot. I'm not going to respond to you any more. I'm also probably going to get sent to the dungeon for this, but I have no regrets.
I don't see why you should be sent to the dungeon. See definition 2. and the Latin and Greek roots.

Saying that a group is equivalent to Hamas just because it's Islamist is foolish and senseless.

And if you get sent to the dungeon you won't be alone there. Just, please, let's not talk about abortion, okay?

Quote:
idiot [ˈɪdɪət]
n
1. (Psychiatry) a person with severe mental retardation
2. a foolish or senseless person
[from Latin idiōta ignorant person, from Greek idiōtēs private person, one who lacks professional knowledge, ignoramus; see idio-]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Whatfur
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
If this is at all indicative of your other opinions, then you're an idiot. I'm not going to respond to you any more. I'm also probably going to get sent to the dungeon for this, but I have no regrets.
So there.

Last edited by Whatfur; 09-03-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I don't see why you should be sent to the dungeon. See definition 2. and the Latin and Greek roots.

Saying that a group is equivalent to Hamas just because it's Islamist is foolish and senseless.

And if you get sent to the dungeon you won't be alone there. Just, please, let's not talk about abortion, okay?
Perhaps if you had any clue of what you were talking about you would know that Islamist groups, at the end of the day, can be lumped together. They are all fire-breathing antisemites. They all support the violent destruction of the Jewish state. Try learning something.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Hey look ... look ... we haz more wingnut.
That's a nice way of admitting that you don't really have a counterargument. Unless you think cavorting with anti-semites is ok, in which case I will suspect you too of being a garden-variety anti-semite.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
That's a nice way of admitting that you don't really have a counterargument. Unless you think cavorting with anti-semites is ok, in which case I will suspect you too of being a garden-variety anti-semite.
Pat? PatThePirate? Are you back?
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

On the contrary, I've never been a pirate nor have I ever been named pat.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Wonderment Wonderment is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Unless you think cavorting with anti-semites is ok, in which case I will suspect you too of being a garden-variety anti-semite.

Many posters here voted for cavorter Obama. Therefore, they are anti-Semites too. You cavort here; therefore so are you. I hereby declare everyone on the Internet a cavorter of anti-Semites (= garden-variety unless proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt).
__________________
Seek Peace and Pursue it
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Busca la paz y síguela
--Psalm 34:15
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
On the contrary, I've never been a pirate nor have I ever been named pat.
Then I retract the question. But I do get a sense of familiarity from your rhetorical style.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Many posters here voted for cavorter Obama. Therefore, they are anti-Semites too. You cavort here; therefore so are you. I hereby declare everyone on the Internet a cavorter of anti-Semites (= garden-variety unless proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt).
I think that anyone, including everyone who voted for Obama, should at least be a bit perturbed by the fact that he had a close relationship with a nutty, conspiracy-theory peddling anti-semite for 20 years.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Wonderment Wonderment is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
I think that anyone, including everyone who voted for Obama, should at least be a bit perturbed by the fact that he had a close relationship with a nutty, conspiracy-theory peddling anti-semite for 20 years.
Yes, but you are the deranged person who called Edward Said an anti-Semite, so why would we take anything you say seriously?
__________________
Seek Peace and Pursue it
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Busca la paz y síguela
--Psalm 34:15
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
operative operative is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: Culture War on Islam Edition (Adam Serwer & Eli Lake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Yes, but you are the deranged person who called Edward Said an anti-Semite, so why would we take anything you say seriously?
I called Edward Said an antisemite because he was an anti-semite. And a joke. Orientalism should be read only as a manifestation of a bizarre and insecure pseudo-academic.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.