Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM
apple
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1174383.html

Posted without comment.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
sugarkang sugarkang is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali, Small-Govt Liberal
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
I just skimmed it so maybe I missed it. Was the killing in any way motivated by Allah? Or was this just a regular nutter whose Muslimness was incidental?

As an aside, I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
__________________
The mixing of populations lowers the cost of being unusual.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
I just skimmed it so maybe I missed it. Was the killing in any way motivated by Allah?
There's no indication whatsoever that this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
Or was this just a regular nutter whose Muslimness was incidental?
Bingo. If someone was as diligent in tracking down every murder committed by someone who happened to be Christian, or for that matter, agnostic, it would be a full time job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
As an aside, I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
All part of the devious plot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 PM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
There's no indication whatsoever that this is the case.
Just as there was no indication that the Arizona massacre was Tea Party motivated. A little symmetry.

Happy New Year!
__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Sulla the Dictator Sulla the Dictator is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,364
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
That is unusual. One generalization I feel comfortable making is that I have never met an Islamic food I like other than a kabob, and that shouldn't even count. Though I admit, I have a snobbish palate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
That is unusual. One generalization I feel comfortable making is that I have never met an Islamic food I like other than a kabob, and that shouldn't even count. Though I admit, I have a snobbish palate.
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Islamic food." What have you tried, out of curiousity?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Islamic food." What have you tried, out of curiousity?
Heh, I'm not adventurous with new or international foods. But, hummus, tahini, falafel, pita, baba ghannouj among others are yum, yum and more yum!

Now, I don't call those foods Islamic. There's nothing religious about them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Heh, I'm not adventurous with new or international foods. But, hummus, tahini, falafel, pita, baba ghannouj among others are yum, yum and more yum!

Now, I don't call those foods Islamic. There's nothing religious about them.
One of our friends likes to say that her mom's food is so good, it must be haraam.

It is pretty friggin good. On this I can agree with kang wholeheartedly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Heh, I'm not adventurous with new or international foods. But, hummus, tahini, falafel, pita, baba ghannouj among others are yum, yum and more yum!

Now, I don't call those foods Islamic. There's nothing religious about them.
Yes on both counts. The same foods are popular with Christians and Jews I know from the area. Delicious in any case.

Also, some of the Indian restaurants I like here are Pakistani. That food is even better, to my palate, than the Middle Eastern stuff, and again I haven't found that religious background matters.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Yes on both counts. The same foods are popular with Christians and Jews I know from the area. Delicious in any case.
Yes.

Quote:
Also, some of the Indian restaurants I like here are Pakistani. That food is even better, to my palate, than the Middle Eastern stuff, and again I haven't found that religious background matters.
We depart in our food tastes here, Stephanie. Indian food (hot, spicy, cumin) definitely not for me!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
We depart in our food tastes here, Stephanie. Indian food (hot, spicy, cumin) definitely not for me!
Interesting. I like every type of ethnic food I have tried, although admittedly, each genre has its things I avoid. And i have tried a lot. One of our guilty pleasures is trying new restaurants, and we both have found at least one restaurant we like from nearly every distinguishable ethnicity.

Have not tried Inuit food, and that may be a bridge too far, but that's a very exotic exception.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Interesting. I like every type of ethnic food I have tried, although admittedly, each genre has its things I avoid. And i have tried a lot. One of our guilty pleasures is trying new restaurants, and we both have found at least one restaurant we like from nearly every distinguishable ethnicity.

Have not tried Inuit food, and that may be a bridge too far, but that's a very exotic exception.
I've been a picky eater all my life. So was my father and other family members, some distant ones that grew up far apart from me. And so are my children. I think it's genetic. I also think that I have expanded the range of foods and flavors but there are limitations to how much.

I'm also sure that if I was starving I would bring myself to what's available, but short of that, no cucumbers for me either.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I've been a picky eater all my life. So was my father and other family members, some distant ones that grew up far apart from me. And so are my children. I think it's genetic.
Well, here's another point against nurture: I was brought up in a very bland environment food-wise; my mom's notion of exotic spices was a pinch of black pepper. I have some religious dietary restrictions, and I have my old comfort foods, but since dating my wife, my repertoire has literally exploded, and I suspect it';s something that has always been there, waiting to be expressed.

My wife had a limited exposure to variety growing up, but not as limited as mine and technically she grew up within an ethnic food environment. But we have both adventured together and expanded our horizons. She's picky, but her pickiness is on quality, not type. Our first date was an Ethiopian place, which I had tried exactly once before and she never had.

So in addition to supporting your genetic view, this may also speak to assortative mating.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Well, here's another point against nurture: I was brought up in a very bland environment food-wise; my mom's notion of exotic spices was a pinch of black pepper. I have some religious dietary restrictions, and I have my old comfort foods, but since dating my wife, my repertoire has literally exploded, and I suspect it';s something that has always been there, waiting to be expressed.

My wife had a limited exposure to variety growing up, but not as limited as mine and technically she grew up within an ethnic food environment. But we have both adventured together and expanded our horizons. She's picky, but her pickiness is on quality, not type. Our first date was an Ethiopian place, which I had tried exactly once before and she never had.
Well, on behalf of the little adventurousness that I may have, I'll say that I also grew up in an environment where the exotic amounted to that pinch of white or black pepper, and everything else was limited to some form of European cuisine, with lots of Spanish (from Spain), Italian, British, French and German specialties. However, it was easy for me to adopt Chinese food when I came to the States. A little after I discovered Middle Eastern and in recent years I've added Japanese. I think that was quite an accomplishment, considering.

Quote:
So in addition to supporting your genetic view, this may also speak to assortative mating.
Maybe. Would my divorce from a man who liked every possible kind of cuisine on earth serve as confirmation of your hypothesis?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Maybe. Would my divorce from a man who liked every possible kind of cuisine on earth serve as confirmation of your hypothesis?
Heh. it is certainly a data point that is consistent with it. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM
opposable_crumbs opposable_crumbs is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Indian food is far more varied than one might realize. The spicy dishes seen in restaurants are often replaced by far more gentle dishes such as dahl.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post
Indian food is far more varied than one might realize. The spicy dishes seen in restaurants are often replaced by far more gentle dishes such as dahl.
I have very good friends from India. I've been to their home a few times. Each time I try. Honestly I try. But even what they consider to be "mild" burns my mouth.

Yes, I know, such a delicate flower...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 PM
opposable_crumbs opposable_crumbs is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have very good friends from India. I've been to their home a few times. Each time I try. Honestly I try. But even what they consider to be "mild" burns my mouth.

Yes, I know, such a delicate flower...

Oh you poor thing, you are missing out, and your poor friends, they must really fret when you are a dinner guest.

It's odd to think that the chili isn't native to India but an import, and one which can be seriously addictive (I speak from experience).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Ocean Ocean is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US Northeast
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post
Oh you poor thing, you are missing out, and your poor friends, they must really fret when you are a dinner guest.
No, they don't fret at all. My friend has been living in the states since her childhood. She is very aware of food tastes, so she automatically prepares two different menus, one is typical Indian food for her and her family, and an American cuisine menu for her kids and guests. I just kept looking at those spinach turnovers, and lentils thinking that I would really, really like them... if they weren't that hot!

I'm not the kind of guest that makes people fret. Au contraire.

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
opposable_crumbs opposable_crumbs is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
That is unusual. One generalization I feel comfortable making is that I have never met an Islamic food I like other than a kabob, and that shouldn't even count. Though I admit, I have a snobbish palate.
This is one dumb post. Apple's nonsense speaks for itself, but this post is just plain weird.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM
opposable_crumbs opposable_crumbs is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 504
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post

Posted without comment.

I think your post alone says more than enough about your twisted mindset. I would suggest trying to fix that in 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 AM
sugarkang sugarkang is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cali, Small-Govt Liberal
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

apple got banned again? What did he do now? I hope the crime wasn't editorializing a headline. I don't think anyone is free of that sin, ahem, including BHTV.
__________________
The mixing of populations lowers the cost of being unusual.
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.