Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM
apple

Default Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1174383.html

Posted without comment.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Merry Christmas: All-American Muslim Santa Kills Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
I just skimmed it so maybe I missed it. Was the killing in any way motivated by Allah? Or was this just a regular nutter whose Muslimness was incidental?

As an aside, I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarkang View Post
I just skimmed it so maybe I missed it. Was the killing in any way motivated by Allah?
There's no indication whatsoever that this is the case.

Quote:
Or was this just a regular nutter whose Muslimness was incidental?
Bingo. If someone was as diligent in tracking down every murder committed by someone who happened to be Christian, or for that matter, agnostic, it would be a full time job.

Quote:
As an aside, I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
All part of the devious plot.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
There's no indication whatsoever that this is the case.
Just as there was no indication that the Arizona massacre was Tea Party motivated. A little symmetry.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I knew a Muslim kid in high school who used to sell me sandwiches that were different than the usual. And by different I mean fucking delicious.
That is unusual. One generalization I feel comfortable making is that I have never met an Islamic food I like other than a kabob, and that shouldn't even count. Though I admit, I have a snobbish palate.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
That is unusual. One generalization I feel comfortable making is that I have never met an Islamic food I like other than a kabob, and that shouldn't even count. Though I admit, I have a snobbish palate.
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Islamic food." What have you tried, out of curiousity?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Islamic food." What have you tried, out of curiousity?
Heh, I'm not adventurous with new or international foods. But, hummus, tahini, falafel, pita, baba ghannouj among others are yum, yum and more yum!

Now, I don't call those foods Islamic. There's nothing religious about them.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Heh, I'm not adventurous with new or international foods. But, hummus, tahini, falafel, pita, baba ghannouj among others are yum, yum and more yum!

One of our friends likes to say that her mom's food is so good, it must be haraam.

It is pretty friggin good. On this I can agree with kang wholeheartedly.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Yes on both counts. The same foods are popular with Christians and Jews I know from the area. Delicious in any case.

Also, some of the Indian restaurants I like here are Pakistani. That food is even better, to my palate, than the Middle Eastern stuff, and again I haven't found that religious background matters.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Yes on both counts. The same foods are popular with Christians and Jews I know from the area. Delicious in any case.
Yes.

Quote:
Also, some of the Indian restaurants I like here are Pakistani. That food is even better, to my palate, than the Middle Eastern stuff, and again I haven't found that religious background matters.
We depart in our food tastes here, Stephanie. Indian food (hot, spicy, cumin) definitely not for me!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
We depart in our food tastes here, Stephanie. Indian food (hot, spicy, cumin) definitely not for me!
Interesting. I like every type of ethnic food I have tried, although admittedly, each genre has its things I avoid. And i have tried a lot. One of our guilty pleasures is trying new restaurants, and we both have found at least one restaurant we like from nearly every distinguishable ethnicity.

Have not tried Inuit food, and that may be a bridge too far, but that's a very exotic exception.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I like every type of ethnic food I have tried, although admittedly, each genre has its things I avoid. And i have tried a lot. One of our guilty pleasures is trying new restaurants, and we both have found at least one restaurant we like from nearly every distinguishable ethnicity.

Have not tried Inuit food, and that may be a bridge too far, but that's a very exotic exception.
I've been a picky eater all my life. So was my father and other family members, some distant ones that grew up far apart from me. And so are my children. I think it's genetic. I also think that I have expanded the range of foods and flavors but there are limitations to how much.

I'm also sure that if I was starving I would bring myself to what's available, but short of that, no cucumbers for me either.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I've been a picky eater all my life. So was my father and other family members, some distant ones that grew up far apart from me. And so are my children. I think it's genetic.
Well, here's another point against nurture: I was brought up in a very bland environment food-wise; my mom's notion of exotic spices was a pinch of black pepper. I have some religious dietary restrictions, and I have my old comfort foods, but since dating my wife, my repertoire has literally exploded, and I suspect it';s something that has always been there, waiting to be expressed.

My wife had a limited exposure to variety growing up, but not as limited as mine and technically she grew up within an ethnic food environment. But we have both adventured together and expanded our horizons. She's picky, but her pickiness is on quality, not type. Our first date was an Ethiopian place, which I had tried exactly once before and she never had.

So in addition to supporting your genetic view, this may also speak to assortative mating.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Well, here's another point against nurture: I was brought up in a very bland environment food-wise; my mom's notion of exotic spices was a pinch of black pepper. I have some religious dietary restrictions, and I have my old comfort foods, but since dating my wife, my repertoire has literally exploded, and I suspect it';s something that has always been there, waiting to be expressed.

My wife had a limited exposure to variety growing up, but not as limited as mine and technically she grew up within an ethnic food environment. But we have both adventured together and expanded our horizons. She's picky, but her pickiness is on quality, not type. Our first date was an Ethiopian place, which I had tried exactly once before and she never had.
Well, on behalf of the little adventurousness that I may have, I'll say that I also grew up in an environment where the exotic amounted to that pinch of white or black pepper, and everything else was limited to some form of European cuisine, with lots of Spanish (from Spain), Italian, British, French and German specialties. However, it was easy for me to adopt Chinese food when I came to the States. A little after I discovered Middle Eastern and in recent years I've added Japanese. I think that was quite an accomplishment, considering.

Quote:
So in addition to supporting your genetic view, this may also speak to assortative mating.
Maybe. Would my divorce from a man who liked every possible kind of cuisine on earth serve as confirmation of your hypothesis?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe. Would my divorce from a man who liked every possible kind of cuisine on earth serve as confirmation of your hypothesis?
Heh. it is certainly a data point that is consistent with it. ;-)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Indian food is far more varied than one might realize. The spicy dishes seen in restaurants are often replaced by far more gentle dishes such as dahl.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post
Indian food is far more varied than one might realize. The spicy dishes seen in restaurants are often replaced by far more gentle dishes such as dahl.
I have very good friends from India. I've been to their home a few times. Each time I try. Honestly I try. But even what they consider to be "mild" burns my mouth.

Yes, I know, such a delicate flower...
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I have very good friends from India. I've been to their home a few times. Each time I try. Honestly I try. But even what they consider to be "mild" burns my mouth.

Yes, I know, such a delicate flower...

Oh you poor thing, you are missing out, and your poor friends, they must really fret when you are a dinner guest.

It's odd to think that the chili isn't native to India but an import, and one which can be seriously addictive (I speak from experience).
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post
Oh you poor thing, you are missing out, and your poor friends, they must really fret when you are a dinner guest.
No, they don't fret at all. My friend has been living in the states since her childhood. She is very aware of food tastes, so she automatically prepares two different menus, one is typical Indian food for her and her family, and an American cuisine menu for her kids and guests. I just kept looking at those spinach turnovers, and lentils thinking that I would really, really like them... if they weren't that hot!

I'm not the kind of guest that makes people fret. Au contraire.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
This is one dumb post. Apple's nonsense speaks for itself, but this post is just plain weird.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post

Posted without comment.

I think your post alone says more than enough about your twisted mindset. I would suggest trying to fix that in 2012.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 AM

apple got banned again? What did he do now? I hope the crime wasn't editorializing a headline. I don't think anyone is free of that sin, ahem, including BHTV.