Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Re: What I will miss about vBulletin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhurusasa View Post
inhale, absorb the irony, then embrace the paradox????
So my first impression was correct. I try to go with my gut, but sometimes I gotta wonder.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Jive-ass mutha <shut yo' mouth> I think sasa is referring to us, among others.
It's always the quiet ones.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Sorry, clarification: Who's being a JAMF (now)?
Sorry handle, it was me who didn't immediately get the reference. I figured if I had to look it up, I might as well provide the definition for everyone else.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Sorry handle, it was me who didn't immediately get the reference. I figured if I had to look it up, I might as well provide the definition for everyone else.
No problemo, it's just nice we are still here. I was thinking of starting a thread called "stick a fork in it" and suggest that we call this forum "outside" so when things get to deep for disquis, we could "take it outside", in hopes to draw more discussion here. I was even considering becoming civil, but we all have our limits.

Last edited by handle; 01-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No problemo, it's just nice we are still here. I was thinking of starting a thread called "stick a fork in it" and suggest that we call this forum "outside" so when things get to deep for disquis, we could "take it outside", in hopes to draw more discussion here. I was even considering becoming civil, but we all have our limits.
The first forum I was ever involved in had a thread called "Outside" so that if discussions got heated or off-topic (or both, usually) in another thread, participants could be requested to "take it Outside."

The Outside thread was the home of some of the best discussions and devoted participants, as well as plenty of stupid insult exchanges, of course.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
The first forum I was ever involved in had a thread called "Outside" so that if discussions got heated or off-topic (or both, usually) in another thread, participants could be requested to "take it Outside."

The Outside thread was the home of some of the best discussions and devoted participants, as well as plenty of stupid insult exchanges, of course.
As usual, my idea gets stolen before I even think of it.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As usual, my idea gets stolen before I even think of it.
But it's at least support for it being a good idea!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No, Handle, you're not allowed to start a new thread, K? The thing is, see, I checked just now and this thread that I started by my JAMF -- "friggin'" in my case, just trying to keep it family-friendly, doncha know? -- self now has (count 'em) 674 page views!

This is, like, my life's greatest accomplishment and I won't have you spoiling it by starting a new thread, no matter how clever the name.

K?

Addendum: I don't care what those other JAMFs think, Badhat. To thine own self be true.

Thanks,
R.

Last edited by rfrobison; 01-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrobison View Post
No, Handle, you're not allowed to start a new thread, K? The thing is, see, I checked just now and this thread that I started by my JAMF -- "friggin'" in my case, just trying to keep it family-friendly, doncha know? -- self now has (count 'em) 674 page views!

This is, like, my life's greatest accomplishment and I won't have you spoiling it by starting a new thread, no matter how clever the name.

K?

Thanks,
R.
You are a winner either way. But I'm taking the Patriots over The Mile High Miracle.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

K?

Addendum: I don't care what those other JAMFs think, Badhat. To thine own self be true.

Thanks,
R.
See liberals? Risk pays off! handle didn't have the balls to start his thread and it never left the planning stage, meanwhile the enterprising young freedom lover got literally hundreds of hits! Most of them not bots probably!
To the job creators go the spoils.
Of course til wonderment spoiled the spoils anyway. Whacha got in the pipeline R.F.? Gimmie the heads up and I'm there!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
See liberals? Risk pays off! handle didn't have the balls to start his thread and it never left the planning stage, meanwhile the enterprising young freedom lover got literally hundreds of hits! Most of them not bots probably!
To the job creators go the spoils.
Of course til wonderment spoiled the spoils anyway. Whacha got in the pipeline R.F.? Gimmie the heads up and I'm there!
All are welcome in Rob's Big Tent, regardless of race, color, creed or fashion orientation. What can I say? I'm just a broad-hearted sort.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
All are welcome in Rob's Big Tent, regardless of race, color, creed or fashion orientation. What can I say? I'm just a broad-hearted sort.
Excellent, I can stay in my onesie.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Wow, you never have to worry about getting lost in the snow with that.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha, hahahaha you is my tar baby!!???
If you insist. But does it pay well?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
If you insist. But does it pay well?
i insist! but the pay depends on the condition of your brier-patch?

in the second of the Uncle Remus stories:

In one tale, Br'er Fox constructs a doll out of a lump of tar and dresses it with some clothes. When Br'er Rabbit comes along he addresses the tar "baby" amiably, but receives no response. Br'er Rabbit becomes offended by what he perceives as the Tar Baby's lack of manners, punches it, and in doing so becomes stuck. The more Br'er Rabbit punches and kicks the tar "baby" out of rage, the worse he gets stuck. Now that Br'er Rabbit is stuck, Br'er Fox ponders how to dispose of him. The helpless but cunning Br'er Rabbit pleads, "but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch," prompting Fox to do exactly that. As rabbits are at home in thickets, the resourceful Br'er Rabbit escapes. Using the phrases "but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch" and "tar baby" to refer to the idea of "a problem that gets worse the more one struggles against it" became part of the wider culture of the United States in the mid-20th century.[citation needed] The story was originally published in Harper's Weekly by Robert Roosevelt; years later Joel Chandler Harris wrote of the tar baby in his Uncle Remus stories. A similar tale from African folklore in West Africa has the trickster Anansi in the role of Br'er Rabbit.

And the rest of forum is beginning to wonder!!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:

In one tale, Br'er Fox constructs a doll out of a lump of tar and dresses it with some clothes. When Br'er Rabbit comes along he addresses the tar "baby" amiably, but receives no response. Br'er Rabbit becomes offended by what he perceives as the Tar Baby's lack of manners, punches it, and in doing so becomes stuck. The more Br'er Rabbit punches and kicks the tar "baby" out of rage, the worse he gets stuck. Now that Br'er Rabbit is stuck, Br'er Fox ponders how to dispose of him. The helpless but cunning Br'er Rabbit pleads, "but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch," prompting Fox to do exactly that. As rabbits are at home in thickets, the resourceful Br'er Rabbit escapes. Using the phrases "but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch" and "tar baby" to refer to the idea of "a problem that gets worse the more one struggles against it" became part of the wider culture of the United States in the mid-20th century.[citation needed] The story was originally published in Harper's Weekly by Robert Roosevelt; years later Joel Chandler Harris wrote of the tar baby in his Uncle Remus stories. A similar tale from African folklore in West Africa has the trickster Anansi in the role of Br'er Rabbit.

I know I am. Uhurusasa speaks in mysterious riddles.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
I know I am. Uhurusasa speaks in mysterious riddles.
I'm a x-jazzman, of the dyslexic free-form school. in trying to work around dyslexia i often create patterns that are clear only or mostly to me. any mysterious riddles are unintentional.

i'm constantly improvising and i don't play "changes". a friend once said, that i am like a variation in search of a theme, yet some find me melodic! a lot meaning is inference. i can't chew your food for you, a hint to the wise is still sufficient.

as young man, i marched to a different drummer, as and old man(66), i drum for a different marcher! if you can't feel the beat(poly-rhythms), it's just not your grove!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Oh Lord, that's funny.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

The story was originally published in Harper's Weekly by Robert Roosevelt; years later Joel Chandler Harris wrote of the tar baby in his Uncle Remus stories. A similar tale from African folklore in West Africa has the trickster Anansi in the role of Br'er Rabbit.

You left out Toni Morrison.

'' 'Get out of my face.' '' 'You'll like it. It's short and to the point.' '' 'Don't touch me. Don't you touch me.' '' 'Once upon a time there was a farmer - a white farmer ...' '' 'Quit! Leave me alone.' '' 'And he had this ... farm. And a rabbit. A rabbit came along and ate a couple of his ... ow ... cabbages.' '' 'You better kill me. Because if you don't, when you're through, I'm going to kill you.' '' 'Just a few cabbages, you know what I mean?' '' 'I am going to kill you. Kill you.' '' 'So he got this great idea about how to get him. How to, to trap ... this rabbit. And you know what he did? He made him a tar baby. He made it, you hear me? He made it!'

citation

Last edited by badhatharry; 01-13-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Oh, i don't know if you know him, but a great man has died!!

December 27, 2011
Sam Rivers, Jazz Artist of Loft Scene, Dies at 88

By NATE CHINEN(NYT, i think)

Sam Rivers, an inexhaustibly creative saxophonist, flutist, bandleader and composer who cut his own decisive path through the jazz world, spearheading the 1970s loft scene in New York and later establishing a rugged outpost in Florida, died on Monday in Orlando, Fla. He was 88.

i owe a lot to this man! and, he once lived in North Little Rock, Ark.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Oh, i don't know if you know him, but a great man has died!!

December 27, 2011
Sam Rivers, Jazz Artist of Loft Scene, Dies at 88

By NATE CHINEN(NYT, i think)

Sam Rivers, an inexhaustibly creative saxophonist, flutist, bandleader and composer who cut his own decisive path through the jazz world, spearheading the 1970s loft scene in New York and later establishing a rugged outpost in Florida, died on Monday in Orlando, Fla. He was 88.

i owe a lot to this man! and, he once lived in North Little Rock, Ark.
I hope when I die someone feels like they owe a lot to me. It's the best we can hope for.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I hope when I die someone feels like they owe a lot to me. It's the best we can hope for.
Well, as old what/his/name once said "if you can't forgive a woman her smaller faults, you will never be able to appreciate her greater virtues". so, maybe, if i outlive you, i'll sing your praise! i think, it was the dude that wrote "The Prophet".

Hmmmmmm!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
True! And accessorized with just a swath of matching fabric, some finger cymbals and a basic sandal, one can easily blend in with a band of Hari Krishna street ambassadors. And without those drafty exposed areas.

Disclaimer: Not gay, but I do watch project runway with the missus.

Last edited by handle; 01-13-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I'm a x-jazzman, of the dyslexic free-form school. in trying to work around dyslexia i often create patterns that are clear only or mostly to me. any mysterious riddles are unintentional.

i'm constantly improvising and i don't play "changes". a friend once said, that i am like a variation in search of a theme, yet some find me melodic! a lot meaning is inference. i can't chew your food for you, a hint to the wise is still sufficient.

as young man, i marched to a different drummer, as and old man(66), i drum for a different marcher! if you can't feel the beat(poly-rhythms), it's just not your grove!!
I'd claim to relate, but I'm still working on my 2-5's (keys). I can't resist the back pat though, I nominate the "some of my best friends" as best one-liner for the main thread debate. I was biting my tongue (fingers?) on that subject, 'cause I'm already in trouble with the foxy moxy twins. Thanks for cracking me up.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Cool. You've stayed very quiet here...looking forward to more of you
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
You are a winner either way. But I'm taking the Patriots over The Mile High Miracle.
I suppose an in-the-know guy like you has already seen this, but in case you or others haven't: Here's a salute to Tim Tebowie!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, as old what/his/name once said "if you can't forgive a woman her smaller faults, you will never be able to appreciate her greater virtues". so, maybe, if i outlive you, i'll sing your praise! i think, it was the dude that wrote "The Prophet".

Hmmmmmm!
I tried to respond to this in the other forum but it's hanging up on me and I gotta go:

Quote:
ideas, or people that we don't like, tend to be imagined as worst-case scenarios.

then too, my dogmatism is better than your dogmatism!!

Pollitt gives Michelle a run for the money, "cutesy glib":

- there are the good-guys and the bad-guys, and they both know who is who!
Yes we tend to demonize those with whom we don't agree and that's just not a good thing. However, I think having a point of view is a good thing. You just need to be checking whether you might be going off the deep end from time to time.

I doubt there are many people who consider themselves to be bad guys.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I tried to respond to this in the other forum but it's hanging up on me and I gotta go:

Yes we tend to demonize those with whom we don't agree and that's just not a good thing. However, I think having a point of view is a good thing. You just need to be checking whether you might be going off the deep end from time to time.

I doubt there are many people who consider themselves to be bad guys.
yeah, i think, that self-expression is a healing thing. especially if we can remember, that our thoughts and ideas are somewhat self-serving, and that memory is memory of convenience(our distorted analog of the "whatever").

personal distortion makes conversation about the "whatever" quite interesting, like some form of comparative distortionology(coined??).

I doubt, that however many, who consider themselves to be bad guys, can ever admit it, especially to themselves.

my father once tried to tell me that the problem with the world was:

that most people don't know themselves.

i told him:

that i think, most people know themselves quite well, but don't like who they have come to know.

my mother always reminded me that, "we are all doing the best that we can, with what we have to work with".

Last edited by Uhurusasa; 01-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: searching for clarity, and plausible deniability
Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Been on the road so long, didn't hear about this.