Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Fingerprints of God (Robert Wright & Barbara Hagerty)

I felt like that was one place Mr. Wright went off the rails. Simply acknowledging our limited perception of reality does not, at all, imply that any method of changing the way we experience the world would improve such limitations. In fact, getting high is, I would argue, one way to further limit our perception of reality. Just because spiritual experiences are emotionally charged does not entail their likelihood of being more consistent with reality. In fact, one's emotional attachment should raise a red flag as to whether your thinking clearly about the matter.

I agree with the sentiment that Wright let slide a lot of higgildy-biggildy for the sake of...what? avoiding an awkward interview? There is some value in letting people express as clearly as possible their view. However it is strange how much he let her get away with (not to mention what she was letting herself get away with) considering his strong push back when it comes to less definite issues (e.g. politico-moral questions), where everyone, at least occasionally, would be felled by the accusation of special pleading.

I won't engage in the performance of the "God Debate (TM)". Let me bastardize the Feynman quote, "The same arguments have the same results."

I did lul a little at Hagerty chaffing at the label "parapsychology" being applied to study of telepathy. It seemed little bit like being concerned over the label of Creationism being applied to the study of how Noah's flood could cause the Grand Canyon.