Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Lozenges Not Included (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Lozenges Not Included (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Bill,

As one who suffers seasonal allergies, I recommend Neti pot followed by salt water gargle to clear out the sinuses and throat (in addition to your drug of choice). You may need to do it every few hours during the worst part of the season, but in my experience the relief is great.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paagle View Post
Bill,

As one who suffers seasonal allergies, I recommend Neti pot followed by salt water gargle to clear out the sinuses and throat (in addition to your drug of choice). You may need to do it every few hours during the worst part of the season, but in my experience the relief is great.
Wal-Mart, my favorite store, sells a nasal rinse product for a very reasonable price. Problem of course is hard core democrats can't set foot in a Wal-Mart. Maybe he knows a neutral or the republican handyman in his high rise who can go there for him.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve View Post
Wal-Mart, my favorite store, sells a nasal rinse product for a very reasonable price. Problem of course is hard core democrats can't set foot in a Wal-Mart. Maybe he knows a neutral or the republican handyman in his high rise who can go there for him.
A picture of Bill Scher's "high rise." OMG NEARLY THREE STORIES.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
A picture of Bill Scher's "high rise." OMG NEARLY THREE STORIES.
where is the republican handy man?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
where is the republican handy man?
Just ignore the dumi and get the Neti, available online. Get the "sinusrinse", as the new cheap Chinese knockoffs from the cheap Chinese stores (Walgreens, Walmart, ect.) will sting the crap out of your nose.

(I do my own handywork, steve, and I used to beat up skinheads "back in the day", and I voted for Obama)

Last edited by handle; 04-22-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Duh, Target.

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in at least 5 years. Is it true that they now sell GOP brand orange juice?

Seriously, though. I've always been suspicious of the two stores demographics, particularly in relation to politics and class. Wal-mart caters to a somewhat more upscale consumer. But what about the political and cultural leanings?

Wal-mart became synonymous on the left with corporatism, yet in ways that seem no different in actual practice than Target: cheap foreign made goods, market monopolization, low wages, union busting, etc. Why the love for Target? My guess is it is largely cultural. The left sees gun ammo and teddy-bear leisure wear and thinks of the bible belt and minutemen.

edit: here's an article saying much the same thing. However, the theoretical assertions are still squishy. Conservative voters are upscale too, no? Is there something particularly progressive (culture = politics?) about fashion and design?

Last edited by eeeeeeeli; 04-23-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli View Post
Wal-mart became synonymous on the left with corporatism, yet in ways that seem no different in actual practice than Target: cheap foreign made goods, market monopolization, low wages, union busting, etc. Why the love for Target? My guess is it is largely cultural. The left sees gun ammo and teddy-bear leisure wear and thinks of the bible belt and minutemen.
I think it is the rural, middle of the country origin of Wal-Mart that the urban based dislike and disrespect. Macy's and Sears and K-Mart ( and Alexander's and Korvette's ) had their urban based monopolies for years. They were no match for the half as greedy Wal-Mart. The fact that NYC does not allow Wal-Mart to open a store within its borders speaks volumes of the bias practiced by the establishment who run the city and their willingness to twist the rule of law.

I was going to brag and say I can go into any store, regardless of its politics and culture. But truthfully, I can't handle Steve Jobs and Apple. And Starbucks is too much of a barrier to entry. ( oh yeah, and GM is dead to me. )
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli View Post
Duh, Target.

I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in at least 5 years. Is it true that they now sell GOP brand orange juice?

Seriously, though. I've always been suspicious of the two stores demographics, particularly in relation to politics and class. Wal-mart caters to a somewhat more upscale consumer. But what about the political and cultural leanings?

edit: here's an article saying much the same thing. However, the theoretical assertions are still squishy. Conservative voters are upscale too, no? Is there something particularly progressive (culture = politics?) about fashion and design?
I'd say that those left tend to be more broadly concerned with aesthetics than the right. Fashion and art related areas tend to be very heavily left-wing.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
I'd say that those left tend to be more broadly concerned with aesthetics than the right. Fashion and art related areas tend to be very heavily left-wing.
Right wing extremists says: I hate visual art. Museums suck.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Right wing extremists says: I hate visual art. Museums suck.
Ah finally we have a definition of "Right Wing Extremist": one who hates visual art.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ah finally we have a definition of "Right Wing Extremist": one who hates visual art.
No. The two just happen to coincide in the personage of you: operative; Right Wing Extremist!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
No. The two just happen to coincide in the personage of you: operative; Right Wing Extremist!
Oh, so not all people who hate art are RWE, eh?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Oh, so not all people who hate art are RWE, eh?
I love art and Target.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
I love art and Target.
Clearly we must cast you out of the ranks before your infidel habits pollute our ranks!

I'm actually much more of a Democrat than a Republican in television choices--I go for Mad Men, not Dancing With the Stars (ugh).
Old 04-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Clearly we must cast you out of the ranks before your infidel habits pollute our ranks!

I'm actually much more of a Democrat than a Republican in television choices--I go for Mad Men, not Dancing With the Stars (ugh).
Now were are polarizing the entertainment shows? WTF? Many of the partners in Sterling Cooper, and Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce were repubs, so I gotta wonder if you really watched the show.
And stereotyping your own tribe with "Dancing"? You really might wanna step back from the forum for a while. Not sure you are furthering your cause.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Now were are polarizing the entertainment shows? WTF? Many of the partners in Sterling Cooper, and Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce were repubs, so I gotta wonder if you really watched the show.
And stereotyping your own tribe with "Dancing"? You really might wanna step back from the forum for a while. Not sure you are furthering your cause.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...-wing-tv-43558
Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Now you are supporting with links? Isn't this the kind of pigeonholing you should object to? Doesn't this expose most rebubs as non-intellectual?

Waaaiit....I get it.. you fancy yourself one of the puppet masters, and not one of the puppets, but the fact that you haven't reaped any of the benefits of the elite corporatists means you are just a groupie, right? And how's that workin' for ya?

Hey Denville, pretty sure this smug mormon guy thinks you are not so smart, and wants to cash in on manipulating you.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Now you are supporting with links? Isn't this the kind of pigeonholing you should object to? Doesn't this expose most rebubs as non-intellectual?

Waaaiit....I get it.. you fancy yourself one of the puppet masters, and not one of the puppets, but the fact that you haven't reaped any of the benefits of the elite corporatists means you are just a groupie, right? And how's that workin' for ya?

Hey Denville, pretty sure this smug mormon guy thinks you are not so smart, and wants to cash in on manipulating you.
Sarcasm is better when it is clever, and you demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of what corporatism actually is. Barack Obama is far, far closer to a corporatist than the Koch brothers.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm is better when it is clever, and you demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of what corporatism actually is. Barack Obama is far, far closer to a corporatist than the Koch brothers.
No sarcasm but you knew that, right? Such a cagey response.. because I nailed you on the groupie thing right? No wonder you are such a frustrated little guy.

Quote:
corporatism - control of a state or organization by large interest groups; "individualism is in danger of being swamped by a kind of corporatism"
Your cover story is individualism. Save it for the Denvilles.

Last edited by handle; 04-23-2011 at 03:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
No sarcasm but you knew that, right? Such a cagey response.. because I nailed you on the groupie thing right? No wonder you are such a frustrated little guy.

Quote:
corporatism - control of a state or organization by large interest groups; "individualism is in danger of being swamped by a kind of corporatism"
Just because your cover story is individualism, I see through your obvious smokescreen.
You really should read more and speak less. If you read some Hayek, you would understand how utterly incompatible corporatism and classical liberalism are. As it stands now, you do not, nor do you see that the incestuous relationship between major Democrat leaders and certain favored corporations (GE, GM) is precisely the sort of affair that falls into the category of corporatism.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You really should read more and speak less. If you read some Hayek, you would understand how utterly incompatible corporatism and classical liberalism are. As it stands now, you do not, nor do you see that the incestuous relationship between major Democrat leaders and certain favored corporations (GE, GM) is precisely the sort of affair that falls into the category of corporatism.
So reading more helps you generate better sounding bullshit? Sounds reasonable, I will accept your absurd posturing as proof of this. I'm more a proponent of objectivity, but you are a mind gamer, you seek to manipulate... typical conservative think tank methodology. Like I asked before... how's that workin' for ya?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM

What, no more esoteric references to political texts? No more subterfuge, accusing the left of what the right is actually doing? Democrats = GE? GM? Seriously?

Jeez it's like you guys all wannabe Reagan, complete with the alzheimers. I got news for ya, it wasn't "morning in America" then, and it aint "morning in America" now. The vast frontier is no more, and hasn't been for well over a century. So while the "government is the problem" is an easy tool for manipulating and fleecing those who have not yet realized the game has changed, it can only work in the short term, and only serves to accelerate the scrapping and scavenging of this great experiment. Only through embracing the reality of the situation, and adjusting our strategies, can we begin to adapt, improvise, and overcome entropic decay, enabling us to reinvent, and revitalize ourselves.
So maybe you might consider becoming part of the solution? You could use your powers of bullshit for the forces of good!
Holding my breath!(That (last bit) was sarcasm)

Last edited by handle; 04-23-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I was curious as to the disagreement here over corporatism. And voila, I learn something new from wikipedia!

Apparently I had been using the term incorrectly (mostly). I always thought the term to signify what wikipedia calls "corporatocracy". Instead, the correct usage is much more broad.

I can see how the term would be seen as opposite to classical liberalism. However, the actual reality of what I would argue classical liberalism leads to (for instance, monopolies) would seem to imply the "corporatocracy" usage. Definitely different terms though and an interesting difference.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Matt does not appreciate that Trump is smart and experienced

Matt always seems so far off base. Matt is right that Trump does not have the tempermant or stamina to do door to door campaigning. And maybe loses the first few primaries because of that. But the remaining primaries are all about air time, no?

Like him or not, Trump has a lot of real world experience. He is not intimidated by Karl Rove the way a Pawlenty might be. And I think he is smarter and even a better businessman than his success indicates. His short coming is he is not a team player. He does not have a network of people with standing of their own who work for him or work with him.

Trump is showing republicans how to win, how to beat Obama. Defend the republican base from nasty, unfounded attacks by the establishment. Blame Obama morning, noon and night for the failings of the country. Target China as the non friend of the US it is.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Matt does not appreciate that Trump is smart and experienced

Quote:
Matt always seems so far off base. Matt is right that Trump does not have the tempermant or stamina to do door to door campaigning. And maybe loses the first few primaries because of that. But the remaining primaries are all about air time, no?
Well, yes, other than losing the early primaries which are overweighted by everyone including later voters as being important, it's a fine strategy. Just ask President Guiliani.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Well, yes, other than losing the early primaries which are overweighted by everyone including later voters as being important, it's a fine strategy. Just ask President Guiliani.
Hey, his campaign went extremely well, right up to the part when the voting started. (To paraphrase Jon Stewart)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Like him or not, Trump has a lot of real world experience. He is not intimidated by Karl Rove the way a Pawlenty might be. And I think he is smarter and even a better businessman than his success indicates. His short coming is he is not a team player. He does not have a network of people with standing of their own who work for him or work with him.

Trump is showing republicans how to win, how to beat Obama. Defend the republican base from nasty, unfounded attacks by the establishment. Blame Obama morning, noon and night for the failings of the country. Target China as the non friend of the US it is.
this strategy was a tremendous success for Rudy Giuliani
Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 PM

One of the best cures for allergies is to find local honey and eat a spoonful every morning - it has to be local though so best bet is a nearby farmers market.

I have hives on my farm but am not a honey fan and didn't realize this would combat spring/summer sneezing/breathing trouble till just a few years ago - it works!
__________________________________________________ ____________

Just because Trump would make a far better POTUS than Chairman Zero is no reason to think he is the best that republicans can offer. BO is tripping over his own words and deeds at a daily rate now (how he can promote a commision on anything after the Debt Commission is something for the kool-aid drinkers only) and it isn't too much to ask for the republican party to offer up someone who can not only (the easy part) expose the President's lies, contradictions and hypocrisies but also withstand the treatment he/she will get from an msm completely in Obama's pocket.

Just give us someone who lays it out truthfully and can deliver the message that a United States where a majority of the people take care of themselves is the only sustainable version available; that a country where more people take from the government than create production/wealth/taxes will only end up resembling the much smaller version of the same thing, a housing project where no one cares about taking care of anything because they have no investment in it and tenants that will stand in line all day for substandard services because they have no concept on how to create a superior situation.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM

The rare gem of self-referential truth, hidden among the noise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
... for the kool-aid drinkers only ... an msm completely in Obama's pocket.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The rare gem of self-referential truth, hidden among the noise:
Yeah, the way that the news media is tearing Obama apart for his lies, distortions and hypocrisies is a wonder to behold (his '$50 billion' line on Warren Buffet was esp comical).

Keep drinkin it!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the way that the news media is tearing Obama apart for his lies, distortions and hypocrisies is a wonder to behold (his '$50 billion' line on Warren Buffet was esp comical).
Don't you see how indicative that is of your problem, harkin? You claim "an msm completely in Obama's pocket," and then when called on that, the best you can come up with in response is a complaint that ... one somewhat murky statement during a moment of extemporaneous Q&A isn't dominating the news cycle for the next 72 hours?

The horror. The horror.

Whether you want to admit it or not, harkin, you are suffering from the consumption of too much wingnut media. The preachers to your choir have had nothing to talk about since the middle of 2008 except how much you're all supposed to hate and fear Obama. And since he is by any reasonable estimation a moderate Republican by the standards of any era except for right now (when the term is an oxymoron), you all are forced to strain at gnats to find things to howl about.

Try changing the channel once in a while. Look at some newspapers that aren't owned by Murdoch. Listen to CDs in your car instead of AM radio. You're tearing yourself up from the inside consuming the poison that you do.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 04-22-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
One of the best cures for allergies is to find local honey and eat a spoonful every morning - it has to be local though so best bet is a nearby farmers market.

I have hives on my farm but am not a honey fan and didn't realize this would combat spring/summer sneezing/breathing trouble till just a few years ago - it works!
I used to have fairly bad allergies but they dried up when I diversified my diet (another way that diversity is good ). I'd suggest making sure that there's nutritional balance. I haven't yet listened to the diavlog, so I don't know if Bill discusses his diet, but if he's not getting a good range of cuisines, I'd definitely recommend getting a bit of everything.

Honey sounds good too.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Blogger for <strike>hire</strike> Trump

Hey, Matt, someone is way ahead of you.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Blogger for <strike>hire</strike> Trump

Quote:
We could have the Presidential and VP candidates right there! What did SP have that MMcC doesn't? It's mostly the other way around. Well, minus the kids, of course.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
We could have the Presidential and VP candidates right there! What did SP have that MMcC doesn't? It's mostly the other way around. Well, minus the kids, of course.
Sadly, there is at least one thing that instantly disqualifies MMcC from being asked to join the ticket.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Sadly, there is at least one thing that instantly disqualifies MMcC from being asked to join the ticket.
Ah, come on! No one is perfect!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Ah, come on! No one is perfect!
For today's Republican Party, certain imperfections are fatal.

But she's young yet. On this issue, the trend is hopeful. So maybe she can be the VP nominee in, say, 2040. (When she will be trying to unseat President Sasha Obama.)

I mean, this one is not quite as threatening to the very existence of America as saying she thinks a woman should be able to make her own medical decisions. Or that she doesn't believe in God. Or worst of all, that David Koch should pay a bit more in taxes.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
For today's Republican Party, certain imperfections are fatal.

But she's young yet. On this issue, the trend is hopeful. So maybe she can be the VP nominee in, say, 2040. (When she will be trying to unseat President Sasha Obama.)

I mean, this one is not quite as threatening to the very existence of America as saying she thinks a woman should be able to make her own medical decisions. Or that she doesn't believe in God. Or worst of all, that David Koch should pay a bit more in taxes.
True.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Wow

Thanks for your support in encouraging Teh New Media types to be less faux-balanced and more open about their leanings, Matt.

[Added] And the longer you go on about this "crashing Facebook" nonsense, the more righteous Kombiz's criticisms sound. Listening to you dance around sounds like the standard rightwing media techniques of HEY I'M ONLY ASKING QUESTIONS!!!1! and IT WOULD BE IRRESPONSIBLE NOT TO SPECULATE!!!1! You want to spread a lie and be able to maintain plausible deniability.

You should be aware that your audience on this site is less gullible than your Daily Caller readers.

You can't claim to be "not a reporter" and say that you "do reporting." And even if you want to claim to be a straight-up opinionater, you still have a responsible to check claims of fact, and not just be a stenographer for some political interest group. Because if you don't, you're a hack.

[Added2] Also, I see down farther in Kombiz's post that you're using the Palinism "LSM" in your tweets. That's pretty sad, Matt.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 04-22-2011 at 07:24 PM..