Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Bloggingheads Bloggingheads is offline
BhTV staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,936
Default The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
BornAgainDemocrat BornAgainDemocrat is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: near Chattanooga
Posts: 826
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Juvenile. Silly. The female equivalent of toilet comedy. I guess they think they are camping on it. If I were a fortune teller I would predict these two will end up alone in a rented apartment in the middle of one of those big city "diverse" neighborhoods Richard Florida raves about. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat View Post
Juvenile. Silly. The female equivalent of toilet comedy. I guess they think they are camping on it. If I were a fortune teller I would predict these two will end up alone in a rented apartment in the middle of one of those big city "diverse" neighborhoods Richard Florida raves about. Good luck.
Maybe you can save them ... have any extra Palin bumper stickers?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat View Post
Juvenile. Silly. The female equivalent of toilet comedy. I guess they think they are camping on it. If I were a fortune teller I would predict these two will end up alone in a rented apartment in the middle of one of those big city "diverse" neighborhoods Richard Florida raves about. Good luck.
So will they be alone together? Or will they be alone, alone?
__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Brn Brn is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 27
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic? Isn't the basic point of Home Improvement that it is Tim who learns how to be a better man every week, and that his wife was nearly perfect as is? Or is it that grunting is somehow inherently anti-woman?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Maybe you can save them ... have any extra Palin bumper stickers?
Heh. Haven't listened yet, but I'm a big June Thomas fan.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn View Post
How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic?
It's not. Misogynistic is just a cool word to throw into a conversation occasionally. It's a far more sophisticated term than male chauvinist and helps us gauge how far we've come in criticizing men for trying to be men.
__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith

Last edited by badhatharry; 09-26-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

so....there's a DV about "the most glorious time of the TV year"...and at least just by glancing at the topics, Boardwalk Empire, a show that's roughly 644 times better than any of the shows listed in the topics, isn't discussed. Ok then.
__________________
She said the theme of this party's the Industrial Age, and you came in dressed like a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Brn Brn is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 27
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

I understand (and agree with) your point, but it doesn't even make sense as a substitute for male chauvinist, though, in this case, since if anything his humor is misandrist. I don't think that it is that either, but there is no denying that Tim is the butt of the jokes on the series, precisely because of his hyper-masculine poses.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
rcocean rcocean is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn View Post
How, exactly, is Tim Allen's brand of humor misogynistic? Isn't the basic point of Home Improvement that it is Tim who learns how to be a better man every week, and that his wife was nearly perfect as is? Or is it that grunting is somehow inherently anti-woman?
Tim is anti-woman? I thought he was just boring & unfunny. Now, Bill Maher there's someone who hates women - but after all if you looked like him....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
graz graz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,162
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Heh. Haven't listened yet, but I'm a big June Thomas fan.
Yes. She is smart and engaging. A welcome edition, along with Paskin to the line-up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
whburgess whburgess is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Tim is anti-woman? I thought he was just boring & unfunny. Now, Bill Maher there's someone who hates women - but after all if you looked like him....
How could you say Maher hates women? After all, he's pro-choice for abortions, and attacks Republicans. What could possibly be more pro-woman?

In your assessment, you've taken his nightly use of male locker room pejoratives in attacking individual women out of the larger context. The larger context being that he votes Democrat, and the women he attacks don't count, as women, because they are Republicans.

I don't understand how you could have missed this, because its obvious. Otherwise why would all those lefty women who are looked to as 'feminists', and who the media has established as the go to experts on the progress of women's 'issues', appear on his show and laugh at his attacks?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 PM
rcocean rcocean is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whburgess View Post
How could you say Maher hates women? After all, he's pro-choice for abortions, and attacks Republicans. What could possibly be more pro-woman?

In your assessment, you've taken his nightly use of male locker room pejoratives in attacking individual women out of the larger context. The larger context being that he votes Democrat, and the women he attacks don't count, as women, because they are Republicans.

I don't understand how you could have missed this, because its obvious. Otherwise why would all those lefty women who are looked to as 'feminists', and who the media has established as the go to experts on the progress of women's 'issues', appear on his show and laugh at his attacks?
Ha. You convinced me WHB, except for Andy Sullivan and Chris Matthews, no one loves women more than Bill Maher.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Tim is anti-woman? I thought he was just boring & unfunny. Now, Bill Maher there's someone who hates women - but after all if you looked like him....
I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why. Among the various dudes on this board, I suspect that there are few who get as much "strange" (to use Bob Wright's word) as Mr. Maher.

As to Tim Allen, was this in reference to his stand up or that boring show? If the show, I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them. It doesn't say much good about men, but it's not overly woman-positive either, it would seem. I have to admit, I find the whole genre pretty dreary.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
whburgess whburgess is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why. Among the various dudes on this board, I suspect that there are few who get as much "strange" (to use Bob Wright's word) as Mr. Maher.
This is a good point, especially when you consider that of all these women he has sex with, every one of them, are the type of woman who would have sex with Bill Maher.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
rcocean rcocean is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
As to Tim Allen, was this in reference to his stand up or that boring show? If the show, I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them. It doesn't say much good about men, but it's not overly woman-positive either, it would seem. I have to admit, I find the whole genre pretty dreary.
Tim Allen has a stand up routine? Is it any different then his TV show?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I suppose it at least plays into the stereotype that men are all kind of big children, not to be held responsible for their own actions and that it's the duty of women to take care of them.

I find the whole genre pretty dreary.
It's a depiction of a dreary reality.

I loved Home Improvement. So much about it was clever.

__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith

Last edited by badhatharry; 09-26-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whburgess View Post
This is a good point, especially when you consider that of all these women he has sex with, every one of them, are the type of woman who would have sex with Bill Maher.
I am just saying that the claim that he hates women because he's ugly and cant get any is wrong. I don't like his approach to women, but it's silly to claim that this is because of how he looks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
It's a depiction of a dreary reality.

I loved Home Improvement. So much about it was clever.
Meh. It's not my reality. But strokes for folks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Tim Allen has a stand up routine? Is it any different then his TV show?
Not so much, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4WeanVwls
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 PM
rcocean rcocean is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I am just saying that the claim that he hates women because he's ugly and cant get any is wrong. I don't like his approach to women, but it's silly to claim that this is because of how he looks.
I don't think Bill Maher hates women SOLELY because he's short and ugly but I think its a factor. Before he became a big star he was probably rejected by every woman except for midgets and hookers. Throw in his ugly, nasty, edgy attitude and I doubt even the midgets stayed around.

The man obviously has issues.

Face it, Bill Maher doesn't seem to like *anyone*, except Bill Maher. Left-wing Asshole men & women may like him, and think he's funny, ( Oh, Maher called Nancy Reagan a C**T, ha ha!!) but there's a reason he's on HBO and not Network TV.

Thank God.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
badhatharry badhatharry is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern sierra
Posts: 5,413
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Meh. It's not my reality.
Your wife would probably be the best judge.

Just kidding, lighten up.
__________________
"By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it." Adam Smith
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
whburgess whburgess is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
so....there's a DV about "the most glorious time of the TV year"...and at least just by glancing at the topics, Boardwalk Empire, a show that's roughly 644 times better than any of the shows listed in the topics, isn't discussed. Ok then.
I suspect they didn't talk about Boardwalk Empire because it isn't new this year. You didn't miss the first season last year did you?

I agree it's a good show. It's one of the few shows my wife and I watch. The other three being Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Game of Thrones.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
I don't think Bill Maher hates women SOLELY because he's short and ugly but I think its a factor. Before he became a big star he was probably rejected by every woman except for midgets and hookers.
Well, he's really good friends with Ann Coulter. Insert joke here.

I have actually seen some of the women he has dated, and while I know absolutely nothing about their personalities, they're quite attractive. Shrug.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 AM
rcocean rcocean is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Well, he's really good friends with Ann Coulter. Insert joke here.

I have actually seen some of the women he has dated, and while I know absolutely nothing about their personalities, they're quite attractive. Shrug.
I think Bill "the dog face boy" Maher understands those "attractive" women are going out with him because he's on TV, not because he's good looking or pleasant to be around.

So, there's still hope for you - just get a show on TV or a couple million dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 AM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
So, there's still hope for you - just get a show on TV or a couple million dollars.
I am doing fine without a show. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 PM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
Yes. She is smart and engaging. A welcome edition, along with Paskin to the line-up.
Yes--a fun diavlog, although my hope that BornAgain's comment would make more sense after listening has not been fulfilled.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
stephanie stephanie is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,921
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I actually agree that Bill Maher has a problem with women, but I think you'll have to look a little deeper as to why.
Yeah, agreed, and he's certainly been getting criticism for it since the '90s and his original show. This idea that Maher is beyond criticism in anyone's mind seems odd.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Winspur Winspur is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 120
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

I tried watching the pilot episode of Terra Nova last night. Willa said that the "characterization was very poor"--I think she's being charitable. I have to wonder if the show is aimed at fundamentalist Christians: it tries so very hard to make us sympathize with the male protagonist,


[SPOILER] who has fathered more than two children, thus putting his entire family at risk from the population police, then jumps the queue to get on board the pilgrimage to Terra Nova, which the rest of humanity has patiently waited for.[/SPOILER]

What a swell guy. I hope he gets eaten by a dinosaur, otherwise I am not coming back to the show.
__________________
mrwhitby.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Yeah, agreed, and he's certainly been getting criticism for it since the '90s and his original show. This idea that Maher is beyond criticism in anyone's mind seems odd.
Somehow rocean seems to have decided that because I agree that Maher has a problem with women, but it's not because he's been unlucky in love this means I am defending him.

Ah well.

Rush Limbaugh on a tuesday.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winspur View Post
What a swell guy. I hope he gets eaten by a dinosaur, otherwise I am not coming back to the show.
Yeah, much more on TV than in real life, there are folks that really make me root for natural selection.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
popcorn_karate popcorn_karate is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Yeah, much more on TV than in real life, there are folks that really make me root for natural selection.
hmmm the guy out-bred and out-competed others for resources. maybe its more justice than natural selection you are rooting for there...
__________________
civil disobedience a problem? NO! Our problem is that people are OBEDIENT all over the world, in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war and cruelty. -HZ
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
hmmm the guy out-bred and out-competed others for resources. maybe its more justice than natural selection you are rooting for there...
Human beings being social, they have historically been really punitive with people who violate the social contract, however fair the contract may be. This is as much a part of the product of evolution as relates to humans as anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
popcorn_karate popcorn_karate is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Human beings being social, they have historically been really punitive with people who violate the social contract, however fair the contract may be. This is as much a part of the product of evolution as relates to humans as anything else.
yes, interesting tension between the different forces at work there - if he gets caught he might lose big, but if he evades detection he hits the evolutionary jackpot.
__________________
civil disobedience a problem? NO! Our problem is that people are OBEDIENT all over the world, in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war and cruelty. -HZ
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
miceelf miceelf is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,569
Default Re: The Most Glorious Time of the TV Year (June Thomas & Willa Paskin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
yes, interesting tension between the different forces at work there - if he gets caught he might lose big, but if he evades detection he hits the evolutionary jackpot.
Until the temporal disjunction the whole enterprise has created erases everyone who has traveled through time from the entire history of the universe.

;-)
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.