Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Obama Wins Nobel (Hanna Rosin & Ann Althouse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
"Imbeciles like zbf"
If I understand you correctly, you called me an imbecile, for suggesting that you and your fellow Americans should be happy about Obama's Nobel peace prize, and regard it your own, and not criticize him where criticism is absolutely not warranted.

I am afraid, that you misunderstand the meaning and use of “freedom of speech”, or rather "under the pretexts" of freedom of speech you let loose your dirty language, and feel free stomping (stamping) on your opponent.

I remember when Imre Kertész received the Nobel Prize for literature.
Instead of rejoicing and applauding, there were vicious grumbling and the throwing of dirty words by many, who claimed he was not Hungarian enough and some other Hungarian writer should have received the prize. (Does it sound funny? Yes, it is, but funny and extremely sad at the same time.)

Imre Kertész was born in Hungary, he grew up in Hungary, his mother tongue, his culture was Hungarian, he wrote in Hungarian, he claimed himself to be Hungarian, but that was not enough, since at age 14 he was rounded up and herded up on a cattle train and sent to Auschwitz. He was insolent enough to survive and write a beautiful book about this survival. There were plenty of people in this little country of 10 million who expressed their hatred for him receiving the Nobel prize.

The hatred part and pettiness looks and sounds very familiar to me in what you are doing now. Trying to find fault with the good intensions of the Nobel peace prize committee. The committee cannot be absolute right in every case, but you as a nation should be rejoicing that your president is appreciated and respected all around the world.