Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Hitchens on "Islamophobia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
I wouldn't call Hitchens Islamophobic, since as others have noted, he's quite hostile to all religions. However, an argument can be made that support for the Iraq war was a mutant strain of the rampant Islamophobia virus.

I trace its origins as follows: anti-Arab/Muslim fervor after 9/11 required revenge and punishment somewhere in the Arab world. Iraq was a scapegoat country. So those who favored war on Iraq, like Hitchens, were acting out this irrational prejudice against Arabs. If you accept the premise, as I do, that the war was insane, gratuitous, morally wrong and catastrophic to both Iraq and the USA, then acknowledging the Islamophobe underpinnings becomes almost inescapable.

I find very hard to forgive intellectuals like Hitchens and Frum for jumping off this cliff with the likes of Dick Cheney. Cheney, I get; he was never thoughtful enough to understand the moral issues. Hitchens should have known better.
it's getting harder to take you seriously