Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Whatfur

Default Re: Palin Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Given that (once we set aside your sad little homophobic and misogynistic slurs) all you do these days is post links (now with weasel question marks appended, due to fear of Jeff), this is a new level of hilarity in your lack of self-awareness.
You seem a little phobohomic, Queef. Why would you be? I thought you posted a denial here somewhere. Why do you obviously let me get to you so astoundingly?

I know Levi possibly looking to get back with Bristol breaks your heart. I suggest you just throw away your Playgirl with him on the cover...you never really had a chance anyway.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
Why do you obviously let me get to you so astoundingly?
Thanks, for the thought at least. Pretty weak execution, though.

And here is your full post for the record. Keep that tough talkin' homophobia coming!

Quote:
You seem a little phobohomic, Queef. Why would you be? I thought you posted a denial here somewhere. Why do you obviously let me get to you so astoundingly?

I know Levi possibly looking to get back with Bristol breaks your heart. I suggest you just throw away your Playgirl with him on the cover...you never really had a chance anyway.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 AM

Default Re: A new job?

Quote:
Huh. It appears K-Duh (sorry, listener!) is not alone
Apology accepted.

The prospect of S-Pal assuming the RNC chair is enticing for entertainment purposes. However, as you point out, such an event would be highly unlikely to occur for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the unlikelihood of Steele's resignation or firing. With respect to this question, I thought that D-Fro recently made a strong case for why DJ Steezle should remain at his present job.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Re: A new job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Apology accepted.

The prospect of S-Pal assuming the RNC chair is enticing for entertainment purposes. However, as you point out, such an event would be highly unlikely to occur for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the unlikelihood of Steele's resignation or firing. With respect to this question, I thought that D-Fro recently made a strong case for why DJ Steezle should remain at his present job.
That's kind of a good point, but one thing Frum doesn't acknowledge, at least in that clip, is the difference between a party chair and an elected official, even if, as in the Ayn Rand Paul case, it was only a primary.

Come to that, a primary election may be even more reason for party officials not to want to harsh on the gaffer. Anyway, the important difference is that those who are elected are picked by Teh Peepul, and even more to the point, by the most active members of the party, so you might be very leery of upsetting them. By contrast, the party chair is picked by a bunch of other higher ups, and so I think it can usually be seen as analogous to a coach in sports -- as a team owner or GM, you fire the one at the top, to show that you're aware Something needs to change, and you implicitly admit you can't fire the whole team.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Palin Watch: Now with even moar silliness!

Quote:
Don't anyone get excited. 'fur is not about to show this level of maturity himself. This is a story about Levi's johnson, which would like to get back to having sexytime with Bristol.

This is hilarious: for months, wingnuts have been howling that we simply could not trust this scruffy grifter. But now his word is gospel again, because he is saying what wingnuts want to believe.

These people from Wasilla have got 27% of the Lower 48 eating out of their hands, don't they?
But there is one person up in Alaska who is asking Important Questions. Does anyone remember Levi's sister? Or ister, as might be more appropriate?

Quote:
Quote:
As for this new People magazine article where my brother “Apologizes to the Palins” I am extremely disappointed in him. Not only is he being controlled like a puppet, but saying that all of his comments and stories were lies is absurd!

I know for a fact that all of his comments were true. I lived through all this and I remember clear as day all of the times that Levi would come home and tell me about Sarah complaining, or fights going on between the family, .etc.

I know he wasn’t making all that up, why would he have back then? I am very disappointed that he is allowing them to control him in such a manner.
Indeed! We must know the answers to these Important Questions!

But let's go back to the top of that post. Emph. added at end:

Quote:
Something Is Happening In Palinland

From Mercede Johnston's blog:

Quote:
The message was from my mother saying that Levi, who has not spoken to us since he rekindled his relationship with Bristol (although we had attempted repeatedly to call or text him), left a message saying that if I did not take my blog down by Wednesday that I would never get to see him, or Tripp, again.

I could not believe it! I thought to myself if he was really willing to make such a threat that he would at least have the decency to call me and talk about it first. I mentioned on my blog repeatedly that my intention was not to hurt or attack the Palins, but to speak out and tell the public my side of the story. As well as how badly my life, and the lives of our family members, had been impacted by our association with the Palins.

It had my mind spinning. How could my brother threaten me like this?
That's a very good question. So is the question of how Palin finally put the screws on Levi. In Palinland, no one knows what's really going on. But I wonder if this is a somewhat panicked response to the recent blip upwards in web interest in the Trig question.
You'll never guess who went there.

(h/t: Jack Stuef)

[Added] By the way: "web interest in the Trig question" seems 50% composed of interest that one person is still interested, and 50% kids looking for help with their math homework.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-08-2010 at 05:38 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Sarahmentum!

Quote:
Kevin Williamson -- another in an endless supply of clowns with posting privileges on The World's Shittiest Website™ -- pitches his idea, and not for the first time: Sarah Palin for RNC Chair!

(If she took it, she would quit three weeks before Election Day, of course.)
The "talk in GOP circles" may be heating up! Why?

Because it's not just Obama anymore, that's why. Apparently, Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele is also a pinko Commie. According to RealConservative™ and RealAmerican™ (and harkin's favorite fisting blogger forever) Hateway Pundit, at least!

TBogg has the (better version of the) story.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-08-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Whatfur

First, we are to avoid the story in People, but now that you found it in "Tiger Beat" we should not..?. To think you put that much work into the above is hilarious. You are certainly a strange little thing.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
To think you put that much work into the above is hilarious.
You want to know what's hilarious? That you think it was "that much work."

Just how lame are your self-described mad 'puter skillz, anyway? Would you like me to give you some pointers on "copying and pasting?" Or on how to blockquote a hunk of text? Or include an image?

You have only to ask. I'm here to help.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-08-2010 at 08:17 AM..
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Financial Update

Poor Sarah:

Quote:
Sarah Palin Barely Earning Minimum Wage

Everybody just assumes that Sarah Palin wakes up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy all the time, in a golden bed of $100 bills. This is because the lamestream media makes it seem like she’s always collecting enormous wads of cash in exchange for her hardcore mama grizzlin’ services (speechin’, hangin’ tough, Teabaggin’). But according to Forbes investigative reporter Dirk Smillie (né Dirksen Smilloszewskiwicz), Palin has earned only $10 million in the past 12 months, “at best.” AT BEST, people.
And be sure to notice the final paragraph at the first link (repeated), for schadenfreude.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-09-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Need an emetic?

Comment swiped from Tonal Crow:

Quote:
Since there hasn’t been a open thread in awhile, and it’s late, and this is about media wankery, here goes:

Quote:
“Speaking Up: The Sarah Palin Story,” [set for release in September] is one in a series of biographies aimed at 9- to 12-year-old readers….
Quote:
Kathleen Kerr, an acquisitions editor [at the publisher], said the subjects are prominent figures who children hear about in the news and role models for tweens who are “working for the betterment of the world in which we live and who are motivated primarily by their Christian faith.”....
Quote:
Kerr said the book begins with Palin’s childhood in Alaska and shows that “with guts, character, determination and unwavering faith in God, even an ordinary person can change the world.”
Quote:
there’s no mention of her teenage daughter Bristol Palin’s pregnancy….”We tried to stay away from the super-heavy stuff,” Kerr said.
Now I gotta go barf.
Now, if your reaction is, Meh, Christianists writing books to brainwash their kids ... when HASN'T that happened?, I invite you to contemplate the reaction on the right to news of a children's book written about President Obama, in which he is portrayed as a "role model" who is "working for the betterment of the world in which we live."

That didn't mention Bill Ayers!!!1!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Griftin' the Night Away

Quote:
Sarah Palin's political action committee contributed at least $87,500 to candidates she's endorsed in the last few months, according to a report filed Sunday with the Federal Elections Commission.

But SarahPAC's financial disclosure also shows Palin spending more than $210,000 on consulting.

[...]

Sunday's FEC report included consulting fees for grassroots and communication, media, national and foreign affairs, and coalitions consulting.

Additional spending went toward air travel, car rentals and lodging, postage and mailings, and cell phones.
Sez BusinessWeek.

Sez Josh Fruhlinger:

Quote:
Anyone who has experience setting up PACs, please contact your editors in regards to the creation of WonkettePAC post haste. We will endorse only the most hilarious candidates and will spend no more than 45 percent of your donations on “air travel” (private jets), “car rentals” (awesome muscle cars that we will drag race down New York Avenue), “lodging” (hotels in Vegas), and “cell phones” (pagers for our drug-dealing sideline).
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Default Where is 21st Century Ayn Rand Now?

Here:

(previously)
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Griftin' the Night Away

Quote:
Way to go, SP!

The Fruhlinger quote was very funny.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:13 AM

Default Apparently, Sarah Palin Was On Hannity's Show?

"The Eternal Raincheck of the Out-of-Stock Mind."
Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Matthew Continetti ...

... is apparently still ... uh ... stuck on the same ... erm ... beat.

[Added] Maybe he saw this picture?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Matthew Continetti ...

Quote:
... is apparently still ... uh ... stuck on the same ... erm ... beat.

[Added] Maybe he saw this picture?
Also: fun-raising, plus moar sexytalk!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Default On that marriage thing ...

... (you heard about Bristol and Levi, right?) ... TBogg observes an especially painful truism:

Quote:
Only in Alaska could a kid leave the family homestead run by a mom meth dealer and move down the social ladder by marrying into a former half-governors house.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Messiah watch

Quote:
Over at conservatives4palin, which is manned by people who make Scientologists look like dilettantes ...
I have no idea what possesses TBogg to read that site, but I'm sure glad he does.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Need an emetic?

Quote:
[...]
That Sarah Palin hagiography for impressionable young minds? "... Delayed -- Publisher Won't Say Why."

Quote:
The book's would-be author, Kim Washburn, told TPM that the book had been "delayed indefinitely" as of yesterday.
What say you about the reasons for this, YAFB at Rumproast?

Quote:
... it would be irresponsible not to speculate.
Heh, indeed!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Default "Palin’s English"

Reposted (from this 'head) especially for the concluding paragraph.

Quote:
Palin’s English

Much giggling on the blogs about Sarah Palin’s mis-tweeting the word “refudiate” to mean “repudiate.” Palin’s defense: Shakespeare made up words too.

This latest Palin invention is unlikely to endure. But I notice that one Palin word invention really does seem to be catching on: her use of the word “verbiage” (Palin pronounces it “verb-ij” ) to mean “words.”

See for example Palin speaking on Fox’s “Hannity” program on September 17, 2008.

Quote:
HANNITY: Senator Barack Obama yesterday was attacking Senator McCain for saying that the fundamentals of the economy are strong. Do you believe that the fundamentals of our economy are strong?

PALIN: Well, it was an unfair attack on the verbiage that Senator McCain chose to use.
“Verbiage” historically means not merely “words” but excessive, prolix, or obfuscatory words. To say that someone is emitting “verbiage” is always a criticism, even an insult. Or anyway, it used to be so.

In the months since, I have heard more and more politicians and even non-politicians use “verbiage” in the same way as Palin, sometimes even pronounced the same way as Palin pronounced it. It seems a real trend. Thanks to Palin, a word that used to mean the cynical use of language to evade, conceal and deceive now more and more just means “language.” It seems somehow an appropriate accomplishment.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Default Re: "Palin’s English"

She, more and more I think, has developed a masterful verbiage, authoratatively. Which I like.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM

From TWiB's major competition, WWROTWTW, some stories you may already have heard about, and at least one that might be new. (Was to me, at least.)

Quote:
Sarah Palin continued to increase her intellectual and moral authority (bust-line) — first by showing off her wordsmithing on Shakespeare’s prefered medium, Twitter, then by using her Second Amendment Rights to stone cold deny her daughter Bristol the immense honor of her fellowship at the Wasilla alter.
Also, too: Look out, Bh.tv swag merchants: The Store is now open! Kind of!

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-24-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Kate Plus Nine. Or Sixteen. Or Something.

St. Sarah makes The Superficial!

Quote:
In fairness, filming a control freak and an idiot who both think birthing children gives them evangelical superpowers that make them always right is just good television.
(h/t: mistermix)
Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Hey! She's a Uniter!

Quote:
It's A Landslide! Netroots Want Sarah Palin To Run For President

[...]

An early release of the Netroots Nation straw poll taken from Thursday through Sunday and obtained by TPM shows that attendees of the convention in Las Vegas overwhelmingly want Palin to mount a presidential bid.

Respondents were asked who would they "most like to see" as the GOP nominee to challenge Obama for reelection two years from now. Netroots attendees preferred Sarah Palin, with 48 percent of them choosing her. The next closest vote-getter was libertarian Rep. Ron Paul with 11 percent, followed by former Sen. Rick Santorum with 10 percent and former Gov. Mitt Romney with 9 percent.

The others trailed in this order: Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (8 percent), Gov. Tim Pawlenty (7 percent), Former Gov. Mike Huckabee (5 percent) and Rep. Mike Pence (1 percent).
-- Christina Bellantoni
Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM

Default If St. Sarah can't stand up to one next-door neighnor, how will she stand up to the terrorists?

Talk about paranoia + victim mode. No wonder the right-wing base loves her:

Quote:
Quote:
Palin, in an interview with “Fox News Sunday,” said McGinniss is still living in the house next to hers in Wasilla, Alaska, after moving in this year. Though the Palin family constructed a 14-foot-high fence after McGinniss arrived, the former vice presidential candidate said the family is making a conscious effort to stay out of his sight.
Emph. added.

More here.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Re: On that marriage thing ...

Quote:
[...]
Looks like the on-again-off-again-on-again has been switched back to off again.

WASILLAGEDDON!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Wingnuts are furious at?

KATIE COURIC FOR MAKING FUN OF ST. SARAH OMG OMG OMG SKKKRRRRREEEEEE!!!1!

(Couric did this in 2008.)

TBogg and Wonkette have details.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Wingnuts are furious at?

LOL, even Althouse wasn't falling for it this time. And Althouse NEVER misses a chance to jump to Palin's defense. Heck, for a while she was BhTV's most dependable go-to head when they needed someone to defend Palin.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Default The Star and Her Posse

Excerpts from an encounter with the public (via).

Quote:
[...]

Sarah Palin & company spent several days in Homer [, Alaska] filming her "Sarah Palin's Uh-laska" show. [...]

On the public dock, private security patted down private citizens. The Fourth Amendment protects citizens from unreasonable search and seizure from their government. Private security searching private citizens in a public place, doesn't fall under that category. It's a bit more hinky.

Whether it was TLC or the Palins who contracted security, under what authority did they operate in a public location? Were they looking for weapons? Well, now there's a Second Amendment issue.

This is Alaska, we carry guns. You can open-carry or acquire a concealed weapons permit from the state. If you are a law abiding citizen, you don't even need a permit. Sarah Palin recently endorsed Alaska Tea Party Candidate Joe Miller for US Senate. His supporters carried assault rifles in last month's Golden Days Parade in Fairbanks. If weapons are good enough for a public parade, weapons should be fine at a public dock.

Maybe it wasn't about guns. Maybe it was about cameras. In that case, it's a First Amendment issue. Whether Palin had a problem with the First Amendment, the Second Amendment or the Fourth Amendment, she contradicted her entourage's actions at the Homer dock.

Risking accusations of being all "Wee-Wee'd Up", one Homer woman made a sign in her shed. She then took the 30-foot-by-3-foot banner out to the boat harbor. It said "WORST GOVERNOR EVER". Kathleen Gustafson is a teacher married to a local commercial fisherman. She felt like Sarah Palin had let the state down by becoming a dollar-chasing celebrity and ignoring the oath of office she'd sworn on a Bible.

Kathleen was motivated by the fact Palin was using the very place where her family makes a living to fortify the Palin personality cult -- pretending to do the very thing they worked so hard to sustain. Initially, Kathleen just wanted to waste a little of the camera crew's time, since Palin wasted so much of her time purporting to represent Alaska's interests.

She didn't imagine Palin would be so easy to draw out.

Saturday morning, Billy Sullivan helped Kathleen tape the banner up on his place of business at the top of the boat ramp. Then here she came. Sarah.

She couldn't just walk by. Only a few fishermen and tourists would have seen the banner, but Sarah had to stop and protest. I spoke with Kathleen. She said she wanted Palin to know how she felt, but never dreamed she'd get the chance to say to her face, "You're not a leader, you're a climber!" Early in the conversation, Sarah actually winked at Kathleen in what seemed to be a case of eyelid Tourette's Syndrome.

At one point, a Palin daughter chanted, "You're just jealous". Kathleen told Sarah she was disappointed that she dropped her responsibility to the state to became a celebrity. Palin said incredulously, "I'm honored. No, she thinks I'm a celebrity!" Really? So the camera crew wasn't an indicator? How many times do you have to be on magazine covers to gain celebrity status? Something about camping with Kate Plus Eight in rain slickers seems, well, a little celebrity.

Billy Sullivan caught much of the interchange on his cell phone camera. The back of her security guard's head and Todd Palin attempted to block Billy's view, continually rotating like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. What were they afraid of? I guess that's what happens when you're filming a "celebrity". He was even told by one of the Palin daughters, "You're an A-hole". Charming family values.

[...]

In what has become typical tragic irony, Sarah initially claimed to support Kathleen's First Amendment Rights. But as soon as Billy Sullivan walked toward the dock, one of Palin's entourage tore down the sign to great applause from her group.

[...]
Video at either of the links up top.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Great post

Roy tweets:

Quote:
It's always a mess talking about Palin, but I think I finally figured out her problem: http://bit.ly/do2R5M
That link, expanded: "Essence of Palin."
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 AM

Default Re: The Star and Her Posse

Quote:
Excerpts from an encounter with the public (via).

[...]

Video at either of the links up top.
Wow. Who would have thought this minute of comedy who turn into such a ragefest?

Well, anyone who knows Sarah Palin and her hardcore supporters, I suppose.

Get all caught up by starting with YAFB's "Worst. Half. Term. Governor. Evar. Part IV—The Unraveling." And be sure at least to glance at the Memeorandum link, to see what I mean by "ragefest."

[Added] Betty Cracker gives the video a closer look and the conclusion is hard to escape: St. Sarah did indeed diss the school teacher. No wonder there's been so much Palin-panic over this moment.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-11-2010 at 01:50 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 AM

Default Re: The Star and Her Posse

Quote:
Wow. Who would have thought this minute of comedy who turn into such a ragefest?

Well, anyone who knows Sarah Palin and her hardcore supporters, I suppose.

Get all caught up by starting with YAFB's "Worst. Half. Term. Governor. Evar. Part IV—The Unraveling." And be sure at least to glance at the Memeorandum link, to see what I mean by "ragefest."
Hi-larious.

I love how that dimwit (Palin) says that we need to strengthen our military so we can "keep on fightin' for our Constatooshin."

Do wingnuts really think our military is fighting for our Constitution?

I can't believe how easily manipulated these people are.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Whatfur

Is this fear the reason for the hate?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Is..for the hate..
this is fun... and not at all stupid!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 AM

"I Have Seen Mitt Romney’s Future And It Is Dressed In A Gorilla Suit."
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM

From the blog:

"The cult of Sarah Palin makes the Mormons look like a bunch of Utopian freethinkers."

So is operative a utopian freethinker, or a worshipper at the shrine of Sarah?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM

Default British humor

Now, that's a headline:

She favorites weird things on her Twitter, about Obama and blood, also too.

(via)
Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Cookiegate!!!1!

What are the odds that Sarah Palin would (1) rely on a conservative news source (2) which got its facts wrong (3) about a story that would have been stupid even if true (4) and use it as a personal publicity stunt (5) based on fauxtrage (6) against the Nanny State?

Oh, I'd say ... about ... 1 in 1.

Hard to believe but that voice sounds ever more like a parody. Also.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM

Default Teabag the Liberal Dems Before They Teabag Your ...

... teevee show? Really?

Forget everything I've ever said before about America having reached the nadir of Reality Teevee Nation. This is just. so. sad.

(h/t: Jack Stuef | title: cf.)
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Teabag the Liberal Dems Before They Teabag Your ...

Quote:
... teevee show? Really?

Forget everything I've ever said before about America having reached the nadir of Reality Teevee Nation. This is just. so. sad.

(h/t: Jack Stuef | title: cf.)
Josh Barro at the Agenda points out why this is really beyond painfully stupid:

http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda...ion-josh-barro