Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Default Palin Watch

Time for a separate thread dedicated to The Leader of The Republican Party, The Guardian of All Real American Values, and The Darling of The Teabaggers.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Palin Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Time for a separate thread dedicated to The Leader of The Republican Party, The Guardian of All Real American Values, and The Darling of The Teabaggers.
Or not.

Quote:
Last night’s event in Little Rock’s 18,000-seat Verizon Arena had a significant number of empty seats. In fact, fewer than half the seats “in the lower bowl were occupied, and the entire upper level was shrouded by black drapes.” In the hours before the Palin event, “the Arkansas GOP was advertising on its web site a heavily discounted ‘$20 ticket special.’”
(via)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:05 PM

I think they would be more successful having a slide show than having her talk.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Who posted this disgraceful sacrilege against the Baby Trigus?

Talking in a Negro dialect, no less!!!1! Desecration!!!1!

What? Really? Ah, oh, erm, never mind.

Probably just an attempt to provoke jokes by elitists, so that she'll have something else to complain about. To distract attention from the latest Moment of Quit, you betcha.

(h/t: Jim Newell)

==========

(previously)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-22-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Whatfur

Default Re: Who posted this disgraceful sacrilege against the Baby Trigus?

Quote:
Talking in a Negro dialect, no less!!!1! Desecration!!!1!

Ah, oh, erm, never mind.

Probably just an attempt to provoke jokes by elitists, so that she'll have something else to complain about. To distract attention from the latest Moment of Quit, you betcha.

(h/t: Jim Newell)

==========

(previously)
Yeah I suggest going straight to the comments and see the type of class shown on the Wonkette site. It now is clear why Keefe frequents it so often ...as only there would he be considered the classy one.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Who posted this disgraceful sacrilege against the Baby Trigus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
[...]
Don't feed the trolls.

But do stoke their fauxtrage!

Quote:
Person 1: "OMG, Bryan is such a retard"
Person 2: "Retard is such a strong word. Use 'Palin American' instead."
[Added] It's taking hold!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 PM

Exclamation Re: Who posted this disgraceful sacrilege against the Baby Trigus?

That picture is straight out of The Exorcist!!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Default Probably not ...

... Sarah's favorite Founder any more. (via)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Now who's going to write ...

... St. Sarah's Facebook posts, now that Meg Stapleton has either come to her senses or been thrown under the bus?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Now who's going to write ...

Quote:
... St. Sarah's Facebook posts, now that Meg Stapleton has either come to her senses or been thrown under the bus?
For junkies only: Chris Cillizza has a list of the remaining Palin inner circle. To save you a trip: no prominent Scientologists are named.

[Added] We do note with interest that Sarah is still palin around with Tim Crawford. Yeah, that Tim Crawford.

[Added2] (h/t: Jed Lewison)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-24-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Default My humble contribution to Palin Watch

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shanny..._b_470297.html
Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 AM

Default Re: My humble contribution to Palin Watch

Like locusts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_485101.html
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
LOL!

Follow-up here -- worth it for the last line.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticDoc View Post
Exclusive picture.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
“ We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada. And I think now, isn't that ironic? ”
— Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and U.S. vice-presidential candidate
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1492634/
Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Default Uh-oh. An open microphone and a working camera.

It's amazing how much comedy is available just from some straight reporting. See blockquote here. (The snark is a bonus.)

==========

P.S. Thx, SDoc. Missed that one before, somehow.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Default New Book!

Help choose the title!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Default SCANDAL!!!1!GATE!!!1!

Someone in attendance at the Sarah Palin appearance on Jay Leno says:

Quote:
"After I got out of the show I tweeted, 'Listen for me laughing, no one else is,'" he tells FBLA. According to Stinson about 70% of the audience was indifferent to Palin and wasn't reacting to her tepid jokes. Some jokes failed completely according to Stinson. "There were moments when there were crickets," he says. "I was laughing - this is funny - she's bombing."

Then when Stinson watched the broadcast that night, the laughs were completely different. Palin appeared to kill. The audience was wailing in laughter and applause. Stinson was stunned and angry. He felt it was fake and somewhat dishonest. We asked him if he thought it was a laugh track put in or just the audience mike turned way up. He told us he thought it was a little of both.
About the earliest of those tweets (there are many) here. See also.

However:

Quote:
An NBC spokesperson tells FBLA that neither the audio nor the laughs were enhanced for Palin's set.
Why does the liberal mainstream media hate Sarah Palin?

(FishBowlLA, via Ken Layne)
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Palin=Reagan Lite?

From the Financial Times, reflections on Sarah:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d640855c-2...nclick_check=1
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
From the Financial Times, reflections on Sarah:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d640855c-2...nclick_check=1
Thanks for that, although good luck getting any Real Conservatives™ to accept even one word of it.

BTW, for those of you who bumped into the FT's new annoying "limit of one article per month" or some such after clicking the above link, try getting there through Google instead. The link you want should be near the top of this list of results; at the moment, it's second. (You're looking for a result labeled "FT.com / Columnists / Gideon Rachman - How Reagan ruined conservatism.")
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM

I think of Bush as more Reagan Lite. (Actually, more like Reagan without the good or interesting parts.) Palin is Bush lite, which is why I think she turns off so many Americans.

This article brought up another interesting point:

Quote:
Reagan was apparently stupid and often startlingly ignorant – but he was vindicated by history. Therefore, goes the theory, ignorance and stupidity are good signs. They show that a politician is in tune with the deeper wisdom of the people. Once you start thinking like that, it is but a short step to Sarah Palin.
IMHO, the idea that Reagan was vindicated by history is just as damaging as the idea that ignorance and stupidity are good signs.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezboard View Post
I think of Bush as more Reagan Lite. (Actually, more like Reagan without the good or interesting parts.) Palin is Bush lite, which is why I think she turns off so many Americans.

This article brought up another interesting point:

IMHO, the idea that Reagan was vindicated by history is just as damaging as the idea that ignorance and stupidity are good signs.
B-b-b-but he won the Cold War!!!1! And other good stuff!!!1! Just ask Don McLeroy!!!1!

Seriously, though, you make a good point, regarding Reagan -> Bush II -> Palin. If nothing else, one gets the feeling that ol' Ronnie always knew he was playin' the rubes, whereas W kinda wanted to be one of them, and Palin actually is.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Seriously, though, you make a good point, regarding Reagan -> Bush II -> Palin. If nothing else, one gets the feeling that ol' Ronnie always knew he was playin' the rubes, whereas W kinda wanted to be one of them, and Palin actually is.
And the next step down.....?

Reagan was, I think, a humane person, whatever his intellectual failings. He was devoid of "ressentiment," the mark of the true populist/fascist, and could empathize with others. Bush II and Palin are clearly cut out of a different material: a resentment of "élites" and a belief in their own simple, folk wisdom.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
And the next step down.....?
I would like to think there isn't one.

Quote:
Reagan was, I think, a humane person, whatever his intellectual failings. He was devoid of "ressentiment," the mark of the true populist/fascist, and could empathize with others.
Eh, I dunno. He was said by various and sundry to have "a sunny outlook," but let's not forget that he was moved to get into politics in reaction to property taxes being raised on his ranch. Let us also not forget that he was pretty fucking good at chirping out the dog whistles, and you don't do that without being at least somewhat in touch with what the pack is howling about.

But ...

Quote:
Bush II and Palin are clearly cut out of a different material: a resentment of "élites" and a belief in their own simple, folk wisdom.
... yeah, I will go along with W and St. Sarah being discernibly lower than Duh Gipper on just about any scale.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Eh, I dunno. He was said by various and sundry to have "a sunny outlook," but let's not forget that he was moved to get into politics in reaction to property taxes being raised on his ranch. Let us also not forget that he was pretty fucking good at chirping out the dog whistles, and you don't do that without being at least somewhat in touch with what the pack is howling about.

I expect Republicans to be against taxes and for small government. What else are they against and for? It is true that a lot of other not very nice people are against and for the same things, but niceness is still something, isn't it?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I expect Republicans to be against taxes and for small government.
Well, that is what they say, when they're running for office or when they're out of power and trying to justify their Party of No stance. The implementation when they've held the reins has been a rather different story, however, especially on the latter score.

Quote:
What else are they against and for?
As far as I can tell these days, they are against non-white people, Teh Gheys, women making decisions about their own bodies, and science. As to what they're for, I dunno, apart from getting back into power so that their slurping at the trough will be less hindered.

Quote:
It is true that a lot of other not very nice people are against and for the same things, but niceness is still something, isn't it?
I suppose if image as projected by third parties matters to you, this might count as something in favor of St. Ronnie. But as far as actual governance counts, I'd say he pretty well racked up a score of epic fail.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
by Mark Kleiman:
Alan Grayson (D-Fl) already has a reputation for a sharp tongue, having suggested that Dick Cheney STFU and that the Republican health care plan consisted of “Don’t get sick” and “If you do get sick, die quickly.”

But Sarah Palin may have gotten a bit more than she bargained for when she decided to go after him. Here’s what she said, in his home district:
Rhetorical advantage... Goes to... Palin or Grayson. You decide.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM

from the previous link:

Quote:
Scientists are studying Sarah Palin’s travel between Alaska and Florida carefully. They hope to learn more about the flight patterns of that elusive migratory species, the wild Alaskan dingbat.
The saddest part of all this is that Ms. Palin needs to worry more about her handicapped child's development and future than about American politics.

Maybe if responsible individuals investigated the care that she is actually providing to her child, the story would change. Nobody can provide care better than a responsible mother. If the facts proved that she is neglectful of her child, that would be a more devastating blow to Ms. Palin. I doubt that conservative Americans would forgive her if she neglected her child because she is pursuing the media limelight...

Last edited by SkepticDoc; 03-17-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Old 03-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Default At this rate, she won't have to run for office. She'll be able to buy it.

Reuters:

Quote:
Sarah Palin is closer to landing a deal for a reality show.

Sources say A&E Networks and Discovery Communications want to acquire Palin's project, which focuses on the ex-governor giving a guided tour of her native Alaska -- visiting fishing boats and taking a trip to a gold mine, to cite a couple of examples. Mark Burnett is executive producer of the project, whose working title is "Sarah Palin's Alaska."

[...]

The former vice presidential candidate is asking for between $1 million and $1.5 million per episode ...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM

Default Re: At this rate, she won't have to run for office. She'll be able to buy it.

Quote:
[...]
On the other hand, this story about reality teevee could well be yesterday's news, because according to Sean Carroll:

Quote:
Sarah Palin reveals to Larry King that she is giving up politics to become a theoretical physicist.
Video here.

Looks like he reads Roy Edroso, too. (Mildly NSFW)
Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Default New polling data

From a WaPo poll ("random national sample of 1,000 adults, interviewed March 23 to 26," MOE +/- 3%), we learn that as far as views of the Wasilla Quitta go:

37% approve (strongly or somewhat) | 55% disapprove (strongly or somewhat)
17% strongly approve | 41% strongly disapprove

Hat tip: StrangeAppar8us/Rumproast, whose post noting Palin's recent inconsistencies is worth a look.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Apparently, her skill in avoiding giving interviews ...

... has come in handy for avoiding conducting them, too, even though this is now ostensibly her job.

In her defense, when she heard the name "LL Cool J," she probably thought for a moment that it seemed like a Real American™ (from Alaska) name, like "Trig" or "Track" or "Piper." Good thing someone spoke up, before she had to pal around with him!

And of course, it is not so unusual for Fox "News" to re-run old footage and pretend it shows something current ...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Apparently, her skill in avoiding giving interviews ...

Quote:
... has come in handy for avoiding conducting them, too, even though this is now ostensibly her job.

In her defense, when she heard the name "LL Cool J," she probably thought for a moment that it seemed like a Real American™ (from Alaska) name, like "Trig" or "Track" or "Piper." Good thing someone spoke up, before she had to pal around with him!

And of course, it is not so unusual for Fox "News" to re-run old footage and pretend it shows something current ...
Update: Fox "News" to LL Cool J: NO SARAH FOR YOU. (I.E., DROP DEAD.)
Old 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:

When in the wrong, wingnuts double down (via):

Quote:
Hours after LL Cool J complained that Fox News was recycling an old interview with him for a new program hosted by Sarah Palin, representatives for the country musician Toby Keith, who was also listed as a guest for the show, made a similar charge against the cable channel.

In a telephone interview on Wednesday, Elaine Schock, a publicist for Mr. Keith said: “I have no idea what interview they are using. Toby’s talked to Fox a number of times, and I had no idea that this was going to be on Sarah Palin’s special. Fox has never contacted me — not now, not when they were putting this together, not at all. I have no idea what they’re using.”

Mr. Keith, whose songs include “Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue,” was announced as a guest on “Real American Stories,” a program that Fox News has scheduled for Thursday night. Ms. Schock said he had not been interviewed by Fox News since 2008. Update: In a subsequent email message, Ms. Schock said that the interview with Mr. Keith likely happened in early 2009.

Asked if Mr. Keith was ever interviewed by Ms. Palin, Ms. Schock said, “Absolutely not.”
Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
When in the wrong, wingnuts double down (via):
Sarah Palin:
Semper Paratus
Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Sarah Palin:
Semper Paratus
I thought the second word meant something else, which would work better for me.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Brainiac Tweets Again!

Sheesh.

Glad to see she's spending some of her plentiful amounts of free time getting up to speed on the important issues.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Daniel Larison ...

... is elitist!!!1! And NotARealConservative!!!1!

And shrill, also too.

(via)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Highlight of last night's show, ...

... evidently:

Quote:
So you, having a kind of a downer day being in a valley, to then have been at this peak now, Angelica, because of your selfless action.
(Via, and here, also too, which has this video now, to then watch.)
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Highlight of last night's show, ...

Kinda liked this, too, from the Times' Stanley:
Quote:
Put it this way: She made the former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, who has his own talk show on Fox News called “Huckabee,” seem like Jerry Lee Lewis.
And what's up with that Wonkette video? Where did that come from? Was that really Palin saying that stuff??? I sat there watching it with my mouth hanging open and my palm clamped to my forehead.

Last edited by listener; 04-02-2010 at 07:37 PM..