Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
BhTV staff

Default Worldwise: Elections in Egypt (Robert Wright & Shadi Hamid)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Worldwise: Elections in Egypt (Robert Wright & Shadi Hamid)

If this is a taste of the caliber of the new "bhtv/Wright stuff", well okay then. Shadi is well placed to share interesting details, anecdotes and impressions. Hope he continues to contribute here.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Looks like Bob isn't really having any trouble teaching people how to use a webcam and mic. So why did he say that was the reason that he's turning this into the Bob Network?

Too embarrassing to just say that he wants his voice to dominate?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalcop View Post
Looks like Bob isn't really having any trouble teaching people how to use a webcam and mic. So why did he say that was the reason that he's turning this into the Bob Network?

You're out of your mind.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 AM

Default whether the egyptians love islamists or not...

the fact that they organize so much better means they are the ones who will hold the power

all those secular students are no more useful than the OWS movement in the US if they don't use their presence to have more representation.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Though Bob briefly mentioned the practical considerations behind the collective decision reached about the future of BhTV, I still don't understand the specific reasons for why a lack of funding should prevent most of the regular contributors from continuing to do exactly what they've done - without financial compensation - for some time now. Having been a huge fan of the site since about a month after the first diavlog went up, I'm curious to know more about it.

But your theory about Bob's nefarious intentions is just nuts:
As he wasn't aiming for a comprehensive explanation, the supposed tenuousness of the "some people have trouble working the mic & camera" point is not the smoking gun you seem to think it is. No one ever claimed that that's the sole or even primary reason things have to change.
More importantly, he's run the site from the beginning; if he wanted to feature more of himself, he could have done so at any time. He could have reduced the number of outside participants simply by not bending over backwards to get folks to create content for free for his site. Why would he cook up a scheme involving practical constraints, finances & investors, and a big announcement in a diavlog, when he already had the power to change the content without a big show? Why would he use this announcement to invite all the participants to continue producing content, when his real motive is to get rid of them?

...why am I attempting to reason with a loon? Two cheers for insomnia.

Last edited by tom; 12-02-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
This combined with your username gave me a good chuckle.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM

Default So according to Hamid Arabs like neo-cons!

And by neocons I mean idealists who think US should promote democracy in the world. I propose people who always think we should bomb to get there mili-cons. The original neo-con thesis of spreading democracy had no emphasis on military action but it came to represent a people who were very militaristic in their approach to the problem so much so that Fukuyama declined to be associated with them.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Isn't Saudi Arabia supporting Islamic fundamentalists in competition against the US supporting secular democrats across the Arab world?

Can't Saudi Arabia easily replace the US as the main banker of Egypt?

Is Saudi Arabia an ally of the US or a competitor?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
Isn't Saudi Arabia supporting Islamic fundamentalists in competition against the US supporting secular democrats across the Arab world?

Can't Saudi Arabia easily replace the US as the main banker of Egypt?

Is Saudi Arabia an ally of the US or a competitor?
The Quran and the Sunnah are their constitution and no elections have ever been held there. That's why their loved by the west.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Though Bob briefly mentioned the practical considerations behind the collective decision reached about the future of BhTV, I still don't understand the specific reasons for why a lack of funding should prevent most of the regular contributors from continuing to do exactly what they've done - without financial compensation - for some time now. Having been a huge fan of the site since about a month after the first diavlog went up, I'm curious to know more about it.
I suspect most viewers underestimate the amount of work required to check, edit, index, upload and archive even a well-recorded diavlog for web publication. It's not hard, but it's timeconsuming for the simple reason that it takes time to view any video. And BHTV can't afford to pay for the required the man-hours.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Wait, Simon. That's not fair. Your reply requires at least ten seconds of rational thought about the production of the diavlogs. Globalcop can't be expected to engage in such a neuron-intensive endeavor. It's much more fun to just suspect, accuse, holler and ramdomly slander. Don't ruin the rage.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
apple

Funny, first people claimed that the Islamist party in Turkey was "moderate", then the one in Tunisia, Morocco, and now the Muslim Brotherhood is "moderate". I guess the assassination attempts on Nasser were "moderate".
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 PM

Great story from Shadi, especially the reactions of the taxi driver! And it was interesting to hear Shadi's take on the Egyptian election.

I was late to comment on Bob's news, although I have watched his diavlogs with Mickey. I can just add my appreciation to Bob and everybody for BHTV and wish him luck in his new work and in keeping BHTV going. Would also like to express my sympathy to Mickey for his loss of his mother. Hope to see Bob and Mickey in another diavlog soon. I always enjoy their conversations.