Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2011, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Middle East Problems (Matthew Duss & Ben Birnbaum)

The increasing "Israel-centricity" of Blogginheads' Middle East coverage is seriously starting to worry me. I accept that the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict is a pressing concern to many Americans and that recent events warrant increased scrutiny of the region. I'm also cognizant of Bob Wright's views on the subject - namely his promotion of the democratic liquidation of a sovereign state and US ally as a "solution" to the troubles. But there has to be a point where we recognize that it is not bloodiest conflict of the present day, that the years since the end of 2nd intifada have brought important improvements to the condition of West Bank Palestinians, and that there are great deal of powerful forces that have little or nothing to do with Israel. How about a conversation on the progress made by AU troops against the Shabbab in Somalia and the latter's attempts at de-stabilizing neighbouring Kenya and Uganda. What ever happened to the excellent Congo coverage? Isn't the journalists job to pry into regions and zones of conflict the public doesn't care/know about? Is/Pal is an obvious choice, but one with a limitless capacity to generate misinformation and hysteria (as the above comments regarding Israel's nuclear policy attest). Do the curious public and favour and change the channel from time to time guys.