Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Re: An Advertisement for Openness (Glenn Greenwald & Matt Welch)

I remember thinking about Chomsky when hearing about Assange, but I'm a fan of neither. Chomsky is an anarchist if nothing else, and a philosophical idealist. He's stayed relatively true to those ideals in his screeds against the U.S. government for failure to live up to those ideals. Of course, when you ask Chomsky what kind of government he would put in its place he doesn't really come up with much (where violence, corruption, graft, and self-interest are in constant tension to be overcome to achieve national goals and provide security and pursue common interest).

Such difficulties are left to people who actually wield that power responsibly, and according to ideals that may disagree with Chomsky's (you wouldn't hear it within all that hubris as he attacks them).

I do think that the government requires the vigilance of the people, and sacrifice of individuals (for all the other idealists ready to pounce against the straw man big gov't Republican), but it's for individuals to decide (some of those individuals base their actions and thinking upon the moral teachings of organized religion)

You don't hear about how Assange's organizantion is run much beyond the anarchic idealism he spouts. More like a glorified hacker. Like Chomsky, he prefers to live in his own idealism and attack a perceived enemy for failure to live up to his test. Technology has made it possible. Some good may come, but it's a low bar to set.