Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Communitas: Race, Culture, and Government (Adam Serwer & Amy Wax)

I think Wax is primarily arguing, as she claims, as a corrective against the big government, diversity as the highest goal around, social science oriented approach to black folks in America. This approach has arguable results.
Only blacks can do for themselves, and the culture warriors deserve to look culture in the face.

I don't think Serwer wasn't quite up to the challenge to defend his thinking (and the liberal pieties). I'll let others take up that discussion.

For my two cents:

Blacks were brought here enslaved, and the laws were used specifically against them. If the "bootstrap" argument is your floor, most were held under the floor. The cry for generations has been jobs and justice. The Civil Rights Act was a tool, and a wedge of freedom. Even if you were a pious, morally upright, hard working black family (God bless you for pulling that off) the same equality of opportunity and advancement usually wasn't there. Violence and threat of violence could be daily occurrences.

Wax has waded into the discussion, but if she really wants to argue for the institution of her most cherished values (and I agree they keep the wheels of freedom and opportunity greased, and I agree she logically makes her case) then perhaps she could broaden her thinking as well.

I mean after all, doesn't she want those values enshrined in the society?

Maybe I'm wrong.