Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 AM

Default TWIB=InsideGOP

Is it just me? What The Week in Blogs has really been about most of the time is Matt explaining or excusing inside baseball GOP politicking to Bill. No? When was the last time we heard Matt question Bill on the inside, behind-the-scene chatter about the Dems, whether in power or not? Sure there's a primary going on right now, but I worry what will happen once the GOP primaries are over.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Re: TWIB=InsideGOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Is it just me? What The Week in Blogs has really been about most of the time is Matt explaining or excusing inside baseball GOP politicking to Bill. No? When was the last time we heard Matt question Bill on the inside, behind-the-scene chatter about the Dems, whether in power or not? Sure there's a primary going on right now, but I worry what will happen once the GOP primaries are over.
Bill has always been very, very passive, while Matt is clearly quite shrewd. I think Matt knows he can take advantage of the personality dynamics to turn TWIB into, basically, a platform for promoting (a) right-wing politics, and (b) Matt.

Don't get me wrong: I like Matt. But that's what seems to be happening.

NB. I haven't watched TWIB since the nakba.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Bill has always been very, very passive, while Matt is clearly quite shrewd. I think Matt knows he can take advantage of the personality dynamics to turn TWIB into, basically, a platform for promoting (a) right-wing politics, and (b) Matt.

Don't get me wrong: I like Matt. But that's what seems to be happening.

NB. I haven't watched TWIB since the nakba.
Yes, whatever "the two have", "that thing they do", is not unpleasant, only borderline boring though (at least to me). Yes they're crossing the ideological divide and do engage in friendly banter, but in fact they rarely address any ideological positions. It's all pragmatic day-by-day political maneuvering.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I'm unaware of much actual ideological diversity in the Democratic party. Perhaps you can elaborate on what they should be discussing?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
I'm unaware of much actual ideological diversity in the Democratic party. Perhaps you can elaborate on what they should be discussing?
They're the party in power. It's not like there's no disagreements. They might be kept hush right now, but they'll surely surface once they're out of power again. I'm not so much interested in Democratic inside-baseball either, to tell you the truth.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
They're the party in power. It's not like there's no disagreements. They might be kept hush right now, but they'll surely surface once they're out of power again. I'm not so much interested in Democratic inside-baseball either, to tell you the truth.
Maybe. But yes, since they're in power, the differences are pretty hidden. The GOP had all of the current divisions under Bush, but kept it pretty tied up until Bush's amnesty program. After that the box was open.

Though I've always considered the DLC to be the one real fracture in the Democratic party, and that crowd had vanished by 2008. The median Democrat seems pretty far leftward of the old DLC standard.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM

good insight