Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Default @Disqus

So... Disqus is just going to be for the newer diavlogs right? The real forums are sticking around for the other non diavlog categories correct?

I ask because Disqus is very limited and not a real forum, its more like an easy way to post for articles and video. Whatever you decide to do with it, please don't scuttle the normal forums!

Remember, the other sections have no need to tie in with the specific diavlog sections, so don't worry about compatibility there.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: @Disqus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
So... Disqus is just going to be for the newer diavlogs right? The real forums are sticking around for the other non diavlog categories correct?

I ask because Disqus is very limited and not a real forum, its more like an easy way to post for articles and video. Whatever you decide to do with it, please don't scuttle the normal forums!

Remember, the other sections have no need to tie in with the specific diavlog sections, so don't worry about compatibility there.
My understanding was that it's just going to be Disqus, but I guess we will find out.

I think it's a shame that we are likely losing all this, though.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM

My guess is that the old diavlogs wil continue to link to these forums, so that they will be preserved in some form.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Yes, Disqus stinks. I may not even bother posting on disqus. Following a conversation is too difficult and it doesn't have the right features for this kind of forum. It's only appropriate for LOLs, and interactions among few commenters. Multiple participants would render the conversation incoherent.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Yes, Disqus stinks. I may not even bother posting on disqus. Following a conversation is too difficult and it doesn't have the right features for this kind of forum. It's only appropriate for LOLs, and interactions among few commenters. Multiple participants would render the conversation incoherent.
Agreed. Just look at the bigger blogs and see how conversation is very limited. The days of the deep, involved conversations -- which have been a feature of BhTV since it incorporated Phorum several years ago -- appear to be coming to an end.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Agreed. Just look at the bigger blogs and see how conversation is very limited. The days of the deep, involved conversations -- which have been a feature of BhTV since it incorporated Phorum several years ago -- appear to be coming to an end.
I wonder if we're overestimating how much value our presence and participation adds to the site. I mean, I enjoy it and so do you, but I doubt your or my forum stylings are contributing in any meaningful way to revenue for bhtv.

This might be how it feels to be a schooner builder in the 1940s.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
I wonder if we're overestimating how much value our presence and participation adds to the site. I mean, I enjoy it and so do you, but I doubt your or my forum stylings are contributing in any meaningful way to revenue for bhtv.

Yes, sadly, I think you're right. From BhTV's earliest days, Bob seemed to take a great interest in his viewers. Before they had a forum (or comments), he used to solicit viewer email and would even occasionally respond to it in diavlogs. Following the adoption of the forum, he would regularly highlight and discuss the best comments in his diavlogs with Mickey. Bob even went so far as to record special diavlogs just for the forum dwellers. He really did make us feel appreciated.

I'm not sure what, exactly, the calculation was behind the decision to switch to Disqus, beyond what he explained in his last diavlog with Aryeh. But whatever the reasoning, you're right: There' no money in it for Bob to keep the forum around, and if he and his team decide to, it will be more an act of generosity towards those of us who enjoy it and less a calculated business decision.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Or a manufacturer of writing pads!

I'm thinking Bob Wright is the Mitt Romney of internet forums.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 AM

Disqus is pretty bad as a forum. I doubt I'll stick around after it's adoption if the current forums are completely dropped.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
Disqus is pretty bad as a forum. I doubt I'll stick around after it's adoption if the current forums are completely dropped.
Agreed. Disqus is a pretty awful medium for this type of forum.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
I think it's been adopted.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Maybe we can just create a thread ourselves over here for each diavlog. I'm sure a new community of commenters will form over on Disqus, but for us few interested old-timers we can do-it-ourselves over here, no?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Maybe we can just create a thread ourselves over here for each diavlog. I'm sure a new community of commenters will form over on Disqus, but for us few interested old-timers we can do-it-ourselves over here, no?
I tried. It wasn't well received by the hosts.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Mr. Wright has specifically asked us not to do that. I suppose he could retaliate if we set up a bunch of parallel DV discussion threads over here by shutting down the old forum, but maybe he wouldn't do that...