Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Means and Ends (Joshua Cohen & Glenn Loury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1976 View Post

I always want to ask libertarians why they seem to think the only source of power in a modern western democracy is government. That seems wrong to me, like something that was true of much more totalitarian or centralized systems of the past. I think of government as one source of power among a number, and it's the only one we all get to have a say in, so it doesn't make much sense to me to try to cripple it. That seems like an anti-democratic idea. I would say the point would be more to make sure it works as well as possible for all of us, as it should, and to make sure it's not overly beholden to any special groups, etc., as it may be if politicians are too much dependant on money to ever get elected.
Exactly. The apparently naive belief that because government is corrupt all that needs to happen is to reduce the size of government and all the huge corporations and other powerful entities will behave in ways that will enhance the general well-being and freedom of individuals.

Somehow, and I don't know how, the multiple voices and actions of individual citizens need to counteract the power of corporations and challenge the corruption of the government. It seems foolish to pretend that either an unregulated free market or an unchallenged government will solve the current problems.