Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Predictions for 2012?

Any want want to make a predictions for the next 12 months?

I'm gonna go with the Mayan's being a bust.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Predictions for 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post

We'll finally come out of the economy's doom and gloom. Obama will be re-elected. There will be more surprises towards world peace / democracy throughout the globe. A turn down for religious fanaticism. A few more scares regarding Mother Nature letting us know who is the boss. Little will be done towards preventing further AGW, lots of arguing, but perhaps some increased awareness towards the end of 2012.

At the end of 2012, 2013 will start. That's my strongest bet.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposable_crumbs View Post

Japan will have yet another ineffectual prime minister, this time someone from the previously dominant Liberal Democratic Party, after the Democratic Party of Japan fails to come to a consensus on raising the consumption tax.

In other words, "Plus ça change..."
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 AM

Total TEOTWAWKI Singularity Apocalypsis.

You've been warned!
Quote:
There are groups who claim that an uncharted, unseen planet called Nibiru will strike Earth or nearly hit it; that the Earth's polarity will reverse (so that north is south and south is north), wreaking widespread havoc; or that solar storms will destroy civilization by disrupting power grids. Most of the predictions are timed to coincide with the "end" of the Maya calendar on Dec. 21, the winter solstice.

Although scientists and many Maya scholars insist that there is nothing to most of the predictions, the idea of 2012 as a watershed year "has gotten great traction," said John Hall, a sociologist at UC Davis who specializes in apocalyptic movements. Hall said he expects the frenzy will only grow over the next 12 months.

Already, survivalist websites are full of accounts of people preparing for the coming TEOTWAWKI — survivalist shorthand for The End of the World As We Know It.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Despite a banner year by Carey Price, the Habs miss the playoffs.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Despite a banner year by Carey Price, the Habs miss the playoffs.
So far, I'm not only the most optimistic but also the most ambitious.

Come on, guys! Think large!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM

Greece or Italy, perhaps both, will leave the Euro. There will be an economic panic which will send us back into recession, unemployment will go above 10%, and Obama will be defeated.

Though that will be the least of our problems, as the Middle East becomes unstable from the chaos of "Arab Spring" and commodity prices soar. High energy prices combined with a deep European recession will wreck havoc on the Chinese, causing their growth rate to fall below 6%.

Then things get pretty bad.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 AM

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim; Will become with the right stew of player created content the best video game of it's type ever made.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM

J.K. Galbraith once said that there are two kinds of economists--- those who don't know the future and those who don't know they don't know the future.

But we can be sure of one thing, thanks to Faulkner: The past is never dead. It's not even past.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwatcher162536 View Post
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim; Will become with the right stew of player created content the best video game of it's type ever made.
wow, strokes for folks, I guess.

Speaking of wow, not so much a prediction as a statement of fact: in 2012, you will be able to play a Kung Fu Panda in world of warcraft.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM

What happened to Second Life?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM

I predict: the winning candidate in the 2012 general election for President of the United States will not receive an absolute majority of the popular vote.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimM47 View Post
I predict: the winning candidate in the 2012 general election for President of the United States will not receive an absolute majority of the popular vote.
Are you predicting a Ron Paul third party run in which Obama (presumably) wins a la Clinton in 1992, or a replay of Bush-Gore in 2012?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrobison View Post
Are you predicting a Ron Paul third party run in which Obama (presumably) wins a la Clinton in 1992, or a replay of Bush-Gore in 2012?
If JimH is smart, he won't commit to only one of those options. I'd add that the above doesn't exhaust the possibilities. One can easily imagine, without a major third party candidate, someone winning the electoral college, AND the popular vote by something like 49 - 47, with the remaining 3% devoted to a wide variety of marginal characters.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
If JimH is smart, he won't commit to only one of those options. I'd add that the above doesn't exhaust the possibilities. One can easily imagine, without a major third party candidate, someone winning the electoral college, AND the popular vote by something like 49 - 47, with the remaining 3% devoted to a wide variety of marginal characters.
Ah, but the scenario you paint would be little different from Clinton's victory in 1992, though the margins are tighter. Ross Perot won something like 12% of the popular vote, didn't take a single state, and handed the presidency to Slick Willie. Ol' Ross was the epitome of a marginal character if ever there was one. Hard to believe anyone took him seriously.

And smart or not, I'm going to make a prediction on the presidential election: Obama's going to beat Romney in a squeaker; the economy will perk up just enough for him to claim progress, and Romney's lack of charisma and protean -- Man, I love that word! -- character will do the rest.

No We (Republicans) Can't!

[SIGH]
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
And smart or not, I'm going to make a prediction on the presidential election: Obama's going to beat Romney in a squeaker; the economy will perk up just enough for him to claim progress, and Romney's lack of charisma and protean -- Man, I love that word! -- character will do the rest.

[SIGH]
I guess the only question is whether your pessimism is wiser than mine.

;-)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think RP runs as a third party. Andrew Sullivan had a mini piece a while back on how that would destroy Rand Paul's political future. I think the Republican Establishment understands that libertarianism is their party's future. If that weren't the case, Judge Napalitano wouldn't have a show. The average age of registered Republicans is really old. More freedom or more latinos. Your move Republicans.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, but the scenario you paint would be little different from Clinton's victory in 1992, though the margins are tighter. Ross Perot won something like 12% of the popular vote
Not disagreeing with the substance of your analysis, but I just want to mention that Ol' Ross got 19% of the vote. Kind of amazing, if you think about it.

Previous election weirdness:

White conservatives gave 13.5% of the vote and 46 electoral votes to George "Segregation Now, Segregation Forever" Wallace in 1968.

15 electors from Mississippi and Alabama pledged their 15 electoral votes to segregationist Harry Byrd in the 1960 election, which Kennedy won with <50% of the popular vote.

White conservatives gave 39 electoral votes to the segregationist Strom Thurmond in the 1948 election. Thurmond won 87% of the popular vote in Mississippi, 80% in Alabama, 72% in South Carolina, and 49% in Louisiana.

It's interesting to note that Obama's share of the white vote in Mississippi was 10%, and 12% in Alabama.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
It's interesting to note that Obama's share of the white vote in Mississippi was 10%, and 12% in Alabama.
Pfft. John Kerry won something like 20% of the white vote in the same places. There are places where the far left doesn't play, go figure. Lets purge them.

Meanwhile, lets all remember that a 95% black voting block is a sign there is something wrong with the Republican party.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 AM

Default Interesting WSJ analysis piece on the '12 election

Quote:
Ah, but the scenario you paint would be little different from Clinton's victory in 1992, though the margins are tighter. Ross Perot won something like 12% of the popular vote, didn't take a single state, and handed the presidency to Slick Willie. Ol' Ross was the epitome of a marginal character if ever there was one. Hard to believe anyone took him seriously.

[SIGH]
Story is here. Piece has a particular salience for me as it features the slice of Colorado that was my home from age 5, basically through college.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Agree on the prediction. Though it may end up being less close than many thing. I think there's a good chance that alot of the voters that pollsters assume will stay home (young, minority etc.) may surprise us with strong turnout again.

I truly hope that whether based on an Obama victory, or disappointment in the GOP candidates, that the larger GOP will finally get back to some form of sanity and realize that "refuse to govern" is no way to govern. And that perhaps it's time to stop consistently bowing to the most noxious elements of it's base.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
White conservatives gave 39 electoral votes to the segregationist Strom Thurmond in the 1948 election. Thurmond won 87% of the popular vote in Mississippi, 80% in Alabama, 72% in South Carolina, and 49% in Louisiana.
If we're discussing the 1948 election in the Deep South, should the word 'vote' have scare quotes around it?