Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
I would love to see Wonderment appear in that capacity.
I vote YES! for that.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Default Since we nominating others

I couldn't do it, but I nominate:

Nikki
Florian
BJ Keefe

All three would do an excellent job.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM

The Buzz:

My Fellow Americans: All this happened so fast; I'm stunned. It was literally like yesterday when I was working in a paint store.

The Inspiration:

Why I believe in Commenter Court Jurisprudence

The Reluctant Acceptance:

Thank you so much, thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Thank you so much everybody. Yes, we can! Indeed, thank you, yes, yes, we can.

Let's Get Serious Now:

As the author of the recent post "Fuck y'all y su madre tambi幯" I can think of no one less qualified than I to represent with equanimity, unconditional love and nonzerousity our community's diversity of opinion in Commenter Court. I am the change we've not been waiting for.

I don't deserve this.

The Oath of Office:

I, JuanDer Hussein Ment, do solemnly swear to close Gitmo, abolish nuclear weapons, kiss up to Bob even without $0.02 worth of remuneration, abjure Stupid Pointless Flame Wars, uphold the Comment Nanny Guidelines and generally preserve, protect and defend all you dubiously Moral Animals, so help me God.

P.S. If anyone else would actually like to do this, it's all yours.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
The Buzz:

My Fellow Americans: All this happened so fast; I'm stunned. It was literally like yesterday when I was working in a paint store.

The Inspiration:

Why I believe in Commenter Court Jurisprudence

The Reluctant Acceptance:

Thank you so much, thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Thank you so much everybody. Yes, we can! Indeed, thank you, yes, yes, we can.

Let's Get Serious Now:

As the author of the recent post "Fuck y'all y su madre tambi幯" I can think of no one less qualified than I to represent with equanimity, unconditional love and nonzerousity our community's diversity of opinion in Commenter Court. I am the change we've not been waiting for.

I don't deserve this.

The Oath of Office:

I, JuanDer Hussein Ment, do solemnly swear to close Gitmo, abolish nuclear weapons, kiss up to Bob even without $0.02 worth of remuneration, abjure Stupid Pointless Flame Wars, uphold the Comment Nanny Guidelines and generally preserve, protect and defend all you dubiously Moral Animals, so help me God.

P.S. If anyone else would actually like to do this, it's all yours.
Great post!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Commenter Court: Consequential Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

I think if one were to watch the House of Representatives on C-Span 1 for the full length of time that the House is in session every day, one might fairly label this as a "wankfest of consequentiality."

One might also say this of activity on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

I think it might be fair to call "American Idol" a "wankfest of consequentiality" in terms of its impact on pop culture, which, like it or not, is not an inconsequential aspect of human history. If nothing else it is consequential for the winners and well as the panelists. In our world, money is one of the most essential measures of "consequence."

I submit that there are many other examples of "wankfests of consequence", and thus I assert that "wankfest of inconsequentiality" is not a redundant phrase.

Last edited by Markos; 07-31-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Commenter Court: Consequential Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

]I think if one were to watch the House of Representatives on C-Span 1 for the full length of time that the House is in session every day, one might fairly label this as a "wankfest of consequentiality."

One might also say this of activity on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

I think it might be fair to call "American Idol" a "wankfest of consequentiality" in terms of its impact on pop culture, which, like it or not, is not an inconsequential aspect of human history. If nothing else it is consequential for the winners and well as the panelists. In our world, money is one of the most essential measures of "consequence."

I submit that there are many other examples of "wankfests of consequence", and thus I assert that "wankfest of consequence" is not a redundant phrase.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM

What I meant in the last sentence of my previous comment is that because there do exist "wankfests of consequentiality", the phrase "wankfest of inconsequentiality" is NOT redundant.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos View Post
What I meant in the last sentence of my previous comment is that because there do exist "wankfests of consequentiality", the phrase "wankfest of inconsequentiality" is NOT redundant.
Which is to say nothing of the significance of wanking in general. It likely has a tremendous negative impact on productivity. Relatedly, I would go as far as saying that Bob was engaged in wankery when he introduced the idea of "model citizens" as new and improved commenter court opponents. And the consequence of that has already been established. Will the wankery ever end? What will be the consequence?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 PM

My big chance to engage Bob in a substantive discussion, and this is what I get.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM

There's recently been a sufficient confluence of statements on BhTV to motivate me to finally write in on a topic that it seems IMHO gets much less discussion than its importance to the way the world works would warrant--how elections are financed in this country, the effect that has on the people who run for office and the decisions they make once in office, and most lacking, what could be done about this situation.

(The statements were A., W.O.I., not that that applies to the best of Bloggingheads, but possibly to the occasional diavlog that shall go nameless (threads are a different story), B., that Bob's favorite kind of comment is the lonely one in the wilderness, C. Bob's observation that our elected officials are getting worse, D. Mickey's poignant plea for $2500 to save him from financial ruin for trying to save America, and E. Glenn's statement regarding the importance of critical thinking and getting to an understanding of how power structures and the world really work, beyond the surface level of how they appear).

That coupled with the fact that it seems like the argument Robert Reich makes in Supercapitalism, that democracy isn't functioning as it should because the power of capitalism, in the form of lobbying and campaign contributions, has encroached more and more on the realm of democracy and our political process, is a pretty major part of the explanation for why our elected officials are getting worse; more so than (sorry Bob, but I'm sure its only because you haven't devoted book length thought to it) the fact that we have a lower supply of benign patricians than we used to in the good old days, although he does discuss how in the "not quite golden age" as he terms it there were more business statesmen, and the climate was such that CEOs could be business statesmen. But due to the process by which we arrived where we are now (its a really good book if you haven't yet read it, a compelling narrative of the changes in our economy and politics in the postwar period...), its unlikely we're returning to the days of benign patricians any time soon; at the point we're at now, maybe what would work better is to allow more people to run for and gain office, and types of people who don't want to and aren't compelled to play the fundraising game that is currently de rigueur, or have a fortune to self-finance their campaign. If people could have enough funds to compete without raising money from big private donors, but through a finance system that matched the contributions of small donors by a sufficient multiple to allow candidates to run a modern campaign, or funded candidates based on their meeting of metrics to show their credibility (or other potential methods), we'd open up the political process to people who wanted to run for office and not be beholden at least somewhat to their major financial backers, and allow the Mickey Kauses of the world to compete with Barbara Boxer. Which obviously Senator Boxer and the rest of our current reps might not enjoy, which I suppose explains why we never hear any of them talking about this.

But why there isn't more discussion of it in intelligent media such as BhTV and the Times I don't get. What am I missing? There's a whimper about it here and there, and I know Larry Lessig was on here once and is a voice in the wilderness on this generally; but why do, say, none of the columnists in the Times ever write about it, or aren't there any news stories in the Times about how campaign contributions affect the agenda and legislation in Washington, or don't we have more discussion of it on BhTV? It seems to me that you'll never really be able to keep private money out of politics, and certainly not out of campaign and issue ads because of 1st amendment issues, but what we could do is put our money into politics and publicly finance candidates who choose to forgo big private donations in favor of public financing, so that people who wanted to be able to work on and support legislation based solely on their principles and not have to raise money privately could do so. Enough publicly financed candidates in office (a long-term goal of course, but probably no longer term than a real system of international law) would A. make lawmakers less compelled to include all the sweetheart deals in legislation that drive people crazy and make them (often rightly) think the game is rigged in favor of the highest bidder, B. as a result improve public trust in and approval of Congress, both of which are as we know ridiculously low in every poll, C. keep our representatives from having to spend a large part of their time fundraising, and let them concentrate on what's supposed to be their job, crafting, advocating for, discussing and voting on the legislation and values we deem worthwhile and necessary, and D. potentially most importantly, allow people to run for office who care about and want to discuss and work on solutions to the kinds of issues and moral problems that Glenn always gives voice to so eloquently, but which have no chance of being on the agenda in Congress as it currently operates.

If we realistically want to change our politics to one that would talk about and work on these issues, wouldn't we have to allow people other than the type who are in power to gain access to the system, and allow the ones who hold office to be less beholden to the private sources of campaign funds they currently rely on? Clearly it ain't happening with the people and system we currently have, and its hard to see what other major determinant of the way thing work could be changed--everything else is just something to discuss/complain about, but not something it seems like can realistically be changed (with the exception of ending the filibuster rule, but then again the people we have in the Senate, with the process we currently have to determine who gets to the Senate, demonstrate no interest in changing that either, which brings us back to changing the people there), given the incentives of everyone involved and reasons for why things are the way they are currently. Clearly instituting a public finance system would take a long time and involve a lot of fights with powerful interests in favor of the status quo, including many of the people who currently make up our government and who are suited just fine by the current system, thank you, but at least it seems like there should be the beginning of a discussion about it as the first step...it also seems there would be a lot of potential support given the level of dissatisfaction with government and Congress, but if there's no discussion and elected officials have no incentive to think or talk about it because the current ways favor incumbents by limiting competition, there's no way to tap into or foster that potential support.

All of this as preamble to my call and throwing down of the gauntlet for you, Robert Wright (or Mickey), to either point out the fatal flaw in my argument, or to use your global media empire to push the issue in a Murdochian way; or in lieu of that, just have more discussion about it on Bloggingheads, write a column in the Times and see what the reaction is, and ask your friends at the Times and other media high places, like Krugman for example, why they constantly bemoan the state of our politics but never discuss how to realistically change it and the people and incentives in it. And I call on you Aryeh to bring this to the the attention of Bob so that he can consider said requests and have the failure to save the world in said manner rest on his conscience. Thank god you are Southern Baptist and I'm assuming Jewish, respectively, so I'm able to appeal to your easily invoked guilty conscience. And what's more, I'm the one who way back lauded Bloggingheads for having a "higher curiosity satisfaction to effort ratio than most books", and you can use that for free as your slogan rather than W.O.I., if you'll just do me this one little favor of saving our democracy.

Last edited by benjy; 08-03-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Benjy:

Without getting into the content of your post (which I couldn't make heads or tails of), may I be so bold as to suggest an innovation to you? It's this thing called a paragraph. You might insert a few of these newfangled devices into your posts to save your readers from running screaming into the night.

Just an idea.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrobison View Post
Benjy:

Without getting into the content of your post (which I couldn't make heads or tails of), may I be so bold as to suggest an innovation to you? It's this thing called a paragraph. You might insert a few of these newfangled devices into your posts to save your readers from running screaming into the night.

Just an idea.
Also "appropriate context." Just a thought...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Benjy:

Just an idea.
Thanks for the tips--inserted a couple more of them newfangled devices for easier reading. Sorry, I should've made some note of the fact that this comment wasn't really written for other commenters (I didn't realize any of them were checking few day old diavlogs for new comments), but was more of a request for discussion of a central aspect of how our political process works, the problems it causes, and under-discussed possible solutions. Anyhoo, maybe I'll e-mail them directly about such things in the future, so as to avoid adding any potential W.o.I.'s to the threads...

Last edited by benjy; 08-03-2010 at 03:43 AM..
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 AM

I agree that campaign finance reform and clean and fair elections represent huge challenges facing US democracy. It's a crucial issue among most progressives I talk to.

Speaking of Barbara Boxer and Mickey, there was a tepid campaign finance reform measure on the very ballot where Mickey ran against Barbara. Prop. 15 was defeated handily, much to my dismay.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjy View Post
Thanks for the tips--inserted a couple more of them newfangled devices for easier reading. Sorry, I should've made some note of the fact that this comment wasn't really written for other commenters (I didn't realize any of them were checking few day old diavlogs for new comments), but was more of a request for discussion of a central aspect of how our political process works, the problems it causes, and under-discussed possible solutions. Anyhoo, maybe I'll e-mail them directly about such things in the future, so as to avoid adding any potential W.o.I.'s to the threads...
Yeah, you never know who's going to be reading your posts... believe it or not, people around here do actually seem to regularly and carefully look through what others have written.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I agree that campaign finance reform and clean and fair elections represent huge challenges facing US democracy. It's a crucial issue among most progressives I talk to.

Speaking of Barbara Boxer and Mickey, there was a tepid campaign finance reform measure on the very ballot where Mickey ran against Barbara. Prop. 15 was defeated handily, much to my dismay.
OK, so how 'bout we petition Bob to arrange more discussions/write more about public financing as a possible solution? Presumably there'd be some response eventually from the Bloggingheads brass if frequent commenters such as yourself discussed it. It just seems like there's always plenty of kvetching about the problem of money in politics, and the types of politicians and decisions that we get as a result, but almost no discussion about public financing or some way of potentially lessening the problem (using the Times or BhTV as a guide for scale of readership or depth of discussions, on the main site or even in the comments). Its always just throwing up hands, which needless to say gets tiring eventually. I'm curious if support could be fostered for actually doing something about the problem--it would seem that people should be able to put two and two together on their own, but clearly they'd need some help making the connection to why prop 15 type initiatives would help.

Naturally I'm under no illusion about the difficulty of actually getting to the point of having a credible public financing system, and the canards that would be thrown up against it by people who benefit from the status quo, but it does seem like the only way of solving the problem of having our politicians be forced to serve two sets of masters, their funders and the voters. Its really a no-brainer on the merits of the case, that if we want politicians to work even-handedly for all their constituents, we'd need to free them from the need to raise money from influence-seekers--with such blatant conflicts of interest permeating the system of course things don't work as they should, which just turns people off, leading to more throwing up of hands...

Last edited by benjy; 08-03-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
OK, so how 'bout we petition Bob to arrange more discussions/write more about public financing as a possible solution?

Common Cause
is the go-to organization on this topic.

Bob could get Sam Waterston (Law & Order DA guy) to come on BH and talk about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips--inserted a couple more of them newfangled devices for easier reading.
Thanks for that. (I'll try to get over the hurt feelings that you've never taken this same suggestion from me!)

Quote:
Sorry, I should've made some note of the fact that this comment wasn't really written for other commenters (I didn't realize any of them were checking few day old diavlogs for new comments), but was more of a request for discussion of a central aspect of how our political process works, the problems it causes, and under-discussed possible solutions. Anyhoo, maybe I'll e-mail them directly about such things in the future, so as to avoid adding any potential W.o.I.'s to the threads...
You might also repost your comment in the Requested Topics Thread.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM

By a clear act of divine intervention, right after replying to Wonderment, what do I see in my inbox but this http://lessig.blip.tv/file/3945764/ link to the best summation of the argument I've seen by Larry Lessig, given to a recent TED conference in Boston. Bigger megaphone than we've got--maybe it'll get some balls rolling, maybe even some at Bloggingheads or the Times?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Thanks for that. (I'll try to get over the hurt feelings that you've never taken this same suggestion from me!)

You might also repost your comment in the Requested Topics Thread.
Thanks bj, I'll do that. And you actually remember suggesting that to me at some point in the few comments I posted months or maybe years ago? I'm touched!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Common Cause
is the go-to organization on this topic.

Bob could get Sam Waterston (Law & Order DA guy) to come on BH and talk about it.
I do remember that there was a diavlog a few months back in which the issue of campaign finance and its pervasive influence in governing was front and center in the discussion, and the strong case was made that this problem far outweighed all the other (admittedly important ) issues that people like to discuss, such as health care, financial reform, immigration, etc. Maybe someone else here can remember the names of the participants.

I too would like to see more attention given to this topic here and elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
I do remember that there was a diavlog a few months back in which the issue of campaign finance and its pervasive influence in governing was front and center in the discussion, and the strong case was made that this problem far outweighed all the other (admittedly important ) issues that people like to discuss, such as health care, financial reform, immigration, etc. Maybe someone else here can remember the names of the participants.

I too would like to see more attention given to this topic here and elsewhere.
I think Larry Lessig was one of the participants--check out the TED talk of his I linked to above...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I think Larry Lessig was one of the participants--check out the TED talk of his I linked to above...
Yes, thank you. That was a great diavlog, one of the best I've seen here.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks bj, I'll do that. And you actually remember suggesting that to me at some point in the few comments I posted months or maybe years ago? I'm touched!
Yeah, actually I do.

As to your being touched: I'd say it was more like a pet peeve of mine, which are easy to remember but ... up to you.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, actually I do.

As to your being touched: I'd say it was more like a pet peeve of mine, which are easy to remember but ... up to you.

Did someone say "pet peeve"?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Did someone say "pet peeve"?
Heh. But given that benjy didn't even appear to see my direct responses to him, I can be excused for really not thinking he'd see a post in that thread.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Occupational hazard? It is for me. This confirms my belief, BJ, that, to paraphrase Data of "Start Trek TNG" fame: "We are more alike than unlike, my dear captain."

I'll let you pick which of us gets to be the robot and which the bald spaceship captain.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Occupational hazard? It is for me. This confirms my belief, BJ, that, to paraphrase Data of "Start Trek TNG" fame: "We are more alike than unlike, my dear captain."

I'll let you pick which of us gets to be the robot and which the bald spaceship captain.
I'll b whichever gets moar wimmins.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Heh. But given that benjy didn't even appear to see my direct responses to him, I can be excused for really not thinking he'd see a post in that thread.
Of course. I meant to imply no such thing. I was just shamelessly pimping for my thread.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Of course. I meant to imply no such thing. I was just shamelessly pimping for my thread.
And well you ought. It's a good thread. I was glad benjy took the time to re-post. It couldn't hurt for more viewers to put some effort into asking for what they'd like to hear discussed.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I'll b whichever gets moar wimmins.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM

Default Re: I guess size really does matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Is Bob paying Aryeh enough to be asking these kinds of questions?
Apparently not. But equally apparently, Bob's "heart of stone" will prevent appropriate compensation for Aryeh from ever happening.

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
You'd better let me be Data, then. I'm already married and Data never knows what to do with girls anyway. You, on the other hand, could always take TS' advice and hit them with an inverse tachyon beam. I'm sure that'd work.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You'd better let me be Data, then. I'm already married and Data never knows what to do with girls anyway. You, on the other hand, could always take TS' advice and hit them with an inverse tachyon beam. I'm sure that'd work.
I dunno, rob. Don't tachyon beams have some effect on the flow of time? That sounds like it might be useful to a married guy... Nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
What on earth compelled you to attempt to take a side on the Count of Monte Lefto?
Aryeh,

Still waiting on a response to this? <insert lone cricket audio>
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
Aryeh,

Still waiting on a response to this? <insert lone cricket audio>
Iirc, no side was taken. He convincingly made the case for the rationale against such a silly tally. Continued sulking on this matter will not change the winning argument against your devised counting exercise. Added to the list of worlds' shortest books:

whatfur and humility, intelligence or honesty.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM

I get to be this guy!!

Quote:
Character behavior

The character Q is a mischievous, seemingly omnipotent being who has taken an interest in humans. Q's power is limited only in that he can not overcome others in the Q Continuum, the peer group to which he belongs. Otherwise, he can do more or less whatever he wants, which most commonly leads to him annoying others (with or without intent).

Q also has a flair for drama, with a personality that switches between a joking, camp style and a more ominous and even dangerous manner. While he is boastful, condescending, and threatening, he arguably has humans' best interests at heart, as seen in the series finale, "All Good Things...", in which he causes Jean-Luc Picard to shift through chronological periods, giving him a chance to save humanity. In his portrayal of Q, John de Lancie used Lady Caroline Lamb's famous description of Lord Byron as "Mad, bad and dangerous to know." as his inspiration ["Star Trek: The Next Generation" DVD, disc 7, extras]
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I get to be this guy!!
Uncle! You're choosing the sexiest character in TNG! He was such a pain and yet so funny. I loved Q!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Well if I'm gonna be a fantasy character I may as well be omnipotent!! (and sexy)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Well if I'm gonna be a fantasy character I may as well be omnipotent!! (and sexy)
I can't blame you for that.

There was a Lady Q as well.