Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 AM

Default Now that the Tea Party "movement" has yielded a Tea Party Caucus ...

... what do you suppose becomes of that non-partisan, non-interventionist, domestic-concerns-only claptrap apologists for the teabaggers were trying to sell, just a few months ago?

Foreign Policy (via Steve M. via DougJ, both of whose posts are also worth a look):

Quote:
Tea Party Caucus members endorse Israeli attack on Iran

[...]

Almost two dozen Tea Party-affiliated lawmakers cosponsored a new resolution late last week that expresses their support for Israel "to use all means necessary to confront and eliminate nuclear threats posed by the Islamic Republic of Iran, including the use of military force."

The lead sponsor of the resolution was Texas Republican Louie Gohmert, one of four congressmen to announce the formation of the 44-member Tea Party caucus at a press conference on July 21. The other three Tea Party Caucus leaders, Michele Bachmann, R-MN, Steve King, R-IA, and John Culberson, R-TX, are also sponsors of the resolution. In total, 21 Tea Party Caucus members have signed on, according to the latest list of caucus members put out by Bachmann's office.

[...]

Notably absent from the resolution -- and indeed, from the Tea Party Caucus -- is Ron Paul, the Texas congressman and 2008 presidential candidate. Paul, who leads the libertarian wing of the Tea Party movement, was one of only 11 members of the House to vote against the recent Iran sanctions bill, ...

[...]

Last week, a Tea Party-affiliated grassroots organization launched a nationwide campaign to build popular opposition to the administration's nuclear reductions treaty with Russia, called New START. The group is led by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's wife Ginny and it dovetails with similar efforts by former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.

The resolution also continues a theme among Tea Party leaders, such as Sarah Palin, who are seeking to separate the movement's domestic policies, which call for small government and fiscal restraint, from libertarian views on foreign policy, promoting instead an aggressive, unilateralist view of world affairs and unchecked military spending.

[...]
It is an oversimplification, but I'm afraid not too much of one, to say that what we're seeing here is the same old Republican Party dynamic that we've seen for decades, just with some slightly new bunting -- End Times-obsessed Christianists and My Country Right or Wrong chickenhawks using talk-radio-driven populist disgruntlement as a catalyst, their allies in the rest of the rightwing media helping to hype the hell out of the "movement" and its "grass roots" nature, and then once it's gotten to the point where the CW is those with the new label are the new force to be reckoned with in Washington, they go right back to what they always crave: escalation of war, especially in the Middle East and against the godless Commies; i.e., especially as it can be portrayed as a Manichean Struggle. And the mouthbreathers will just keep eating it up and yelling for more.

That is one of the major things that's at stake in the midterms.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-28-2010 at 01:45 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Default "Pleasing the Affiliates"

Undead Fred makes the mistake of running an ad of His Undead Self on alicublog.

Libtard snarkers are go!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Re: "Pleasing the Affiliates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Undead Fred makes the mistake of running an ad of His Undead Self on alicublog.

Libtard snarkers are go!!!
"Debbie, get me someone at marketing! NOW!!!"
Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Now that the Tea Party "movement" has yielded a Tea Party Caucus ...

Quote:
It is an oversimplification, but I'm afraid not too much of one, to say that what we're seeing here is the same old Republican Party dynamic that we've seen for decades, just with some slightly new bunting -- End Times-obsessed Christianists and My Country Right or Wrong chickenhawks using talk-radio-driven populist disgruntlement as a catalyst, ...
Oh, there he goes, exaggerating again. I mean, c'mon. We're only talking about the guy who came in second for the GOP presidential nomination last time around, and another guy who sells books a million at a time, amirite?

(h/t: Ken Layne)
Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Now that the Tea Party "movement" has yielded a Tea Party Caucus ...

Quote:
Oh, there he goes, exaggerating again. I mean, c'mon. We're only talking about the guy who came in second for the GOP presidential nomination last time around, and another guy who sells books a million at a time, amirite?

(h/t: Ken Layne)
Aw, c'mon, don't be coy. Here's the headline:
Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 AM

Default Re: "Pleasing the Affiliates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
"Debbie, get me someone at marketing! NOW!!!"
And take a meeting with Marco's people, too!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Whatfur

Default Who is not talking for whom.

Party of privilege.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Quote:
Eh, the old thread devoted to observing the Republican Party and its slide down the depressing spiral was getting too long. Therefore, let's have a fresh one.

Start us off, won't you, O Shrill One?

Quote:
Redo That Voodoo

Republicans are feeling good about the midterms so good that theyve started saying what they really think. This week the partys Senate leadership stopped pretending that it cares about deficits, stating explicitly that while we cant afford to aid the unemployed or prevent mass layoffs of schoolteachers, cost is literally no object when it comes to tax cuts for the affluent.

And thats one reason there are others why you should fear the consequences if the G.O.P. actually does as well in November as it hopes.

For a while, leading Republicans posed as stern foes of federal red ink. Two weeks ago, in the official G.O.P. response to President Obamas weekly radio address, Senator Saxby Chambliss devoted his entire time to the evils of government debt, one of the most dangerous threats confronting America today. He went on, At some point we have to say enough is enough.

But this past Monday Jon Kyl of Arizona, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, was asked the obvious question: if deficits are so worrisome, what about the budgetary cost of extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, which the Obama administration wants to let expire but Republicans want to make permanent? What should replace $650 billion or more in lost revenue over the next decade?

His answer was breathtaking: You do need to offset the cost of increased spending. And thats what Republicans object to. But you should never have to offset the cost of a deliberate decision to reduce tax rates on Americans. So $30 billion in aid to the unemployed is unaffordable, but 20 times that much in tax cuts for the rich doesnt count.
The rest.
And now, this:

Quote:
Four Deformations of the Apocalypse

IF there were such a thing as Chapter 11 for politicians, the Republican push to extend the unaffordable Bush tax cuts would amount to a bankruptcy filing. The nations public debt if honestly reckoned to include municipal bonds and the $7 trillion of new deficits baked into the cake through 2015 will soon reach $18 trillion. Thats a Greece-scale 120 percent of gross domestic product, and fairly screams out for austerity and sacrifice. It is therefore unseemly for the Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, to insist that the nations wealthiest taxpayers be spared even a three-percentage-point rate increase.

More fundamentally, Mr. McConnells stand puts the lie to the Republican pretense that its new monetarist and supply-side doctrines are rooted in its traditional financial philosophy. Republicans used to believe that prosperity depended upon the regular balancing of accounts in government, in international trade, on the ledgers of central banks and in the financial affairs of private households and businesses, too. But the new catechism, as practiced by Republican policymakers for decades now, has amounted to little more than money printing and deficit finance vulgar Keynesianism robed in the ideological vestments of the prosperous classes.

This approach has not simply made a mockery of traditional party ideals. It has also led to the serial financial bubbles and Wall Street depredations that have crippled our economy. More specifically, the new policy doctrines have caused four great deformations of the national economy, and modern Republicans have turned a blind eye to each one.

[...]

The second unhappy change in the American economy has been the extraordinary growth of our public debt. In 1970 it was just 40 percent of gross domestic product, or about $425 billion. When it reaches $18 trillion, it will be 40 times greater than in 1970. This debt explosion has resulted not from big spending by the Democrats, but instead the Republican Partys embrace, about three decades ago, of the insidious doctrine that deficits dont matter if they result from tax cuts.
What shrill liberal is being shrill now?

Quote:
David Stockman, a director of the Office of Management and Budget under President Ronald Reagan ...

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-01-2010 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: add links to blockquote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Default What did David Frum start?

TBogg calls attention to David Klinghoffer (National Review contributor and senior fellow at the Discovery Institute) and his new piece in the LA Times ...

Quote:
From neocons to crazy-cons
Once the conservative movement was about finding meaning in private life and public service. But it has undergone a shift toward demagoguery and hucksterism.
... as well as Prof. Stephen Bainbridge, who blogs ...

Quote:
It's getting to be embarrassing to be a conservative
... featuring his very own Top 10 List!

(Ordinarily, I'd give all the links. But this time, you must get them from TBogg, because his post deserves to be read in full.)

==========

[Added] More on this theme from Doug Mataconis (via Bainbridge): "Is The Right Losing Its Mind?"

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-02-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 AM

Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Quote:

"Running for Senate is hard!"
[...]
This 26-second clip of Angle expressing her attitude toward the press must be seen to be believed.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
This 26-second clip of Angle expressing her attitude toward the press must be seen to be believed.
As much as I would like to see Ms. Angle stamped out before she multiplies, this clip seemed to me to be rather obviously and clumsily edited. And I must say, what's fair to Shirley Sherrod should be fair to Sharron Angle as well (and not just because of the coincidence of the double "R's). Angle is enough of a walking debunking of herself to require such editing.

[Added] On repeated viewing, it seems that it may be that the audio is unedited, while the quick cutting of the video gives the impression of arbitrary editing. If so, I retract the above objections.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
As much as I would like to see Ms. Angle stamped out before she multiplies, this clip seemed to me to be rather obviously and clumsily edited. And I must say, what's fair to Shirley Sherrod should be fair to Sharron Angle as well (and not just because of the coincidence of the double "R's). Angle is enough of a walking debunking of herself to require such editing.

[Added] On repeated viewing, it seems that it may be that the audio is unedited, while the quick cutting of the video gives the impression of arbitrary editing. If so, I retract the above objections.
Before hurling accusations (not only about the authenticity of the clip, but by implication, about the credibility/gullibility of me and your Wonkette), it probably would have been worth doing a quick Google, don't you think? Then you would have seen NRO raising an eyebrow, not to mention this WaPo post, which also links to a Fox Nation post (trying feebly to spin it as "Sharron Angle too honest in latest interview.").

No official transcripts, but some partial ones. And you'd have seen no one complaining who you'd expect to be complaining if the clip seemed mucked with. And then there is context -- it's not as though she has a recent history at odds with such statements.

Knee-jerk skepticism is still knee-jerk, is my point.

==========

[Added] I probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of this, in light of your added note, but I have to say, that initial outburst ... going right to a Shirley Sherrod comparison? Really? Really?

We got enough problems in this country with the RWNM dreaming up false equivalences. No need for people like you to aggravate the situation.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-04-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Before hurling accusations (not only about the authenticity of the clip, but by implication, about the credibility/gullibility of me and your Wonkette), it probably would have been worth doing a quick Google, don't you think? Then you would have seen NRO raising an eyebrow, not to mention this WaPo post, which also links to a Fox Nation post (trying feebly to spin it as "Sharron Angle too honest in latest interview.").

No official transcripts, but some partial ones. And you'd have seen no one complaining who you'd expect to be complaining if the clip seemed mucked with. And then there is context -- it's not as though she has a recent history at odds with such statements.

Knee-jerk skepticism is still knee-jerk, is my point.

==========

[Added] I probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of this, in light of your added note, but I have to say, that initial outburst ... going right to a Shirley Sherrod comparison? Really? Really?

We got enough problems in this country with the RWNM dreaming up false equivalences. No need for people like you to aggravate the situation.
Thanks for the clarifying links. My comment was based on a first impression of what I saw. The choppy and awkward video editing raised a flag for me because it visually reminded me of "chop jobs" I've seen elsewhere. I wasn't intending to cast aspersions on your credibility. It's just that it's important to me to question what seems questionable to me, whether or not I agree with the point of view being put forth. You are correct that I could have done a little research into the matter before I posted my comment. Fortunately, lazy people like me can count on indefatigable researchers like you to come up with the kind of supporting links that you provided.

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 05:29 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarifying links. My comment was based on a first impression of what I saw. The choppy and awkward video editing raised a flag for me because it visually reminded me of "chop jobs" I've seen elsewhere. I wasn't intending to cast aspersions on your credibility. It's just that it's important to me to question what seems questionable to me, whether or not I agree with the point of view being put forth. You are correct that I could have done a little research into the matter before I posted my comment. Fortunately, lazy people like me can count on indefatigable researchers like you to come up with the kind of supporting links that you provided.
You're welcome, but at risk of belaboring, I'd like to restate the part I cared about more. I would have had no problem with your saying something like, "Hmmm, that clip looked a little choppy to me. Anyone else think it seemed mashed up?" It was the immediate leap from a moment of suspicion to a conclusion of THIS IS JUST LIKE SHIRLEY SHERROD!!!1! that put me off.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 AM

Default In news of certain offspring of Bush Vice-Presidents ...

... no, no, calm down. This is not going to be another post about how Liz Cheney wants to bomb the browns, for freedom, peace, and Jeebus. This is about an offspring of another Bush VP:

Quote:
Two recent mailers sent by the Ben Quayle campaign contain some curious images and statements by the 33-year-old lawyer and flush-with-cash candidate in Arizonas crowded 3rd Congressional District primary.

Quayle is depicted in playful scenes with two toddler-aged girls. Underneath one image, the text reads, in part: Tiffany and I live in this district and we are going to raise our family here.

Its not a stretch to make the assumption that the cute tots - one sitting on his lap; the other sitting next to him - are his daughters. But thats not the case. The recently married Quayle doesnt have kids.
Emph. added!

Well, what? ARE THEY HIS "GIRLFRIENDS"???

It Would Be Irresponsible NOT To Speculate.

(It's actually only a little less creepy than that.)

(source | via)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-05-2010 at 02:40 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Default "Confessions of a Tea Party Casualty"

B'head David Corn reports:

Quote:
It was the middle of a tough primary contest, and Rep. Bob Inglis (R-S.C.) had convened a small meeting with donors who had contributed thousands of dollars to his previous campaigns. But this year, as Inglis faced a challenge from tea party-backed Republican candidates claiming Inglis wasn't sufficiently conservative, these donors hadn't ponied up. Inglis' task: Get them back on the team. "They were upset with me," Inglis recalls. "They are all Glenn Beck watchers." About 90 minutes into the meeting, as he remembers it, "They say, 'Bob, what don't you get? Barack Obama is a socialist, communist Marxist who wants to destroy the American economy so he can take over as dictator. Health care is part of that. And he wants to open up the Mexican border and turn [the US] into a Muslim nation.'" Inglis didn't know how to respond.

As he tells this story, the veteran lawmaker is sitting in his congressional office, which he will have to vacate in a few months. On June 22, he was defeated in the primary runoff by Spartanburg County 7th Circuit Solicitor Trey Gowdy, who had assailed Inglis for supposedly straying from his conservative roots, pointing to his vote for the bank bailout and against George W. Bush's surge in Iraq. Inglis, who served six years in Congress during the 1990s as a conservative firebrand before being reelected to the House in 2004, had also ticked off right-wingers in the state's 4th Congressional District by urging tea-party activists to "turn Glenn Beck off" and by calling on Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) to apologize for shouting "You lie!" at Obama during the president's State of the Union address. For this, Inglis, who boasts (literally) a 93 percent lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union, received the wrath of the tea party, losing to Gowdy 71 to 29 percent. In the weeks since, Inglis has criticized Republican House leaders for acquiescing to a poisonous, tea party-driven "demagoguery" that he believes will undermine the GOP's long-term credibility. And he's freely recounting his frustrating interactions with tea party types, while noting that Republican leaders are pushing rhetoric tainted with racism, that conservative activists are dabbling in anti-Semitic conspiracy theory nonsense, and that Sarah Palin celebrates ignorance.
Quote:
During his primary campaign, Inglis repeatedly encountered enraged conservatives whom he couldn'tor wouldn'tsatisfy. Shortly before the runoff primary election, Inglis met with about a dozen tea party activists at the modest ranch-style home of one of them. Here's what took place:

Quote:
I sat down, and they said on the back of your Social Security card, there's a number. That number indicates the bank that bought you when you were born based on a projection of your life's earnings, and you are collateral. We are all collateral for the banks. I have this look like, "What the heck are you talking about?" I'm trying to hide that look and look clueless. I figured clueless was better than argumentative. So they said, "You don't know this?! You are a member of Congress, and you don't know this?!" And I said, "Please forgive me. I'm just ignorant of these things." And then of course, it turned into something about the Federal Reserve and the Bilderbergers and all that stuff. And now you have the feeling of anti-Semitism here coming in, mixing in. Wow.
Quote:
For Inglis, this is the crux of the dilemma: Republican members of Congress know "deep down" that they need to deliver conservative solutions like his tax swap. Yet, he adds, "We're being driven as herd by these hot microphoneswhich are like flame throwersthat are causing people to run with fear and panic, and Republican members of Congress are afraid of being run over by that stampeding crowd." Inglis says that it's hard for Republicans in Congress to "summon the courage" to say no to Beck, Limbaugh, and the tea party wing. "When we start just delivering rhetoric and more misinformation...we're failing the conservative movement," he says. "We're failing the country." Yet, he notes, Boehner and House minority whip Eric Cantor have one primary strategic calculation: Play to the tea party crowd. "It's a dangerous strategy," he contends, "to build conservatism on information and policies that are not credible."

Read the whole thing.

(h/t: Jim Newell)
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Default The Dangle of the Angle: Welcome the Theocracy!

I'm in ur house, eating ur civil rights!

The latest bit of truth slips out:

Quote:
PAC Questionnaire Collects Some More of Sharron Angles Fun Beliefs

The AP obtained a PAC questionnaire filled out by Sharron Angle, and surprisingly, it reveals that she has some interesting beliefs! The questionnaire had 36 questions and boxes to mark yes or no, so thankfully it was easy for Sharron Angle to fill out. The PAC Government Is Not God has endorsed her campaign. Government Is Not God sounds like it is against lawmaking based on religion, but they are apparently dumb, because its really the opposite; they say they seek the election to Congress of men and women who hold conservative beliefs on both moral and economic issues. So God Should Be Government would be a better name. Anyway, they have some fun ideas about social policies (especially involving the gays!) and Sharron Angle answered yes to every one of their questions.
The rest. See also (via).
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Default BREAKING: Republican Party Has Been Conquered By Muslins

BREAKING! BREAKING! BREAKING!

Must credit Wonkette and TPM.

Above is the logo for the 2012 Republican National Convention, with an arrow added to show THE MUSLIN MOSQUE MINARET!!!1!

Vote Democratic or surrender to Sharia Law!!!1!

[Added] Given five minutes, I'm sure Frank Gaffney could also find a crescent.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-11-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Default Re: BREAKING: Republican Party Has Been Conquered By Muslins

Quote:
BREAKING! BREAKING! BREAKING!

Must credit Wonkette and TPM.

Above is the logo for the 2012 Republican National Convention, with an arrow added to show THE MUSLIN MOSQUE MINARET!!!1!

Vote Democratic or surrender to Sharia Law!!!1!

[Added] Given five minutes, I'm sure Frank Gaffney could also find a crescent.
There are, in fact, two crescents - as anybody can plainly see, and which you would have pointed out if you weren't a dhimmi symp:

Last edited by AemJeff; 08-11-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
There are, in fact, two crescents - as anybody can plainly see, and which you would have pointed out if you weren't a dhimmi symp:

LOL! Nice.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
LOL! Nice.
Also, in my own defense, maybe I've been brainwashed? Because it's become clear that the Muslin Menniss has in fact been in control of the USAUSAUSA for decades. Deep within the bowels of America's favorite companies! Example: "This plush interior will not stand."
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Leading Republicans Hating On Teachers Again

(Michele Bachmann, Sharron Angle, and someone else whose party affiliation has not yet been fully confirmed)

I just got an email from the Tarryl Clark campaign, saying that Crazy Eyes Bachmann recently claimed that teachers and other public employees will be "laundering" "taxpayer money" which will then be used to reelect Democrats and punish Republicans.

This strikes me as plausible. That she would say this, I mean. As with Sarah Palin rolling her eyes upon learning that a disgruntled erstwhile constituent was a teacher, Republicans like these love to hate on teachers. And why not? Uneducated voters are their best friends.

I decided to check on it anyway, and surprise, surprise, it's true. And of course she said it while on FoxNews. While painting it as a Pelosi plot. (Shocker, huh?) And also unsurprisingly, the even crazier Sharron Angle, who was also on the show, echoed the sentiment. As Greg Sargent observes:

Quote:
Keep in mind that Angle dismissed the BP escrow money secured by the White House as a "slush fund," an assertion she later retracted. Call it the Bachmann-ization of GOP candidates: The constant elevation of the rhetorical stakes to the point where good faith disagreement is no longer possible or even desirable.

The Tea Party hallucinations have grown so overheated that politics can no longer merely be clash of visions or ideologies. It's about rescuing the republic from evildoers. Everything Democrats do must of necessity be nefarious, even vaguely criminal.

Video of this crazy talk (whence the screen grab above) has been posted by harryreid2010. Glad to see someone is paying attention. We do not actually want people like Michele Bachmann and Sharron Angle running our country. That would be very bad.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Leading Republicans Hating On Teachers Again

Quote:
[...]

[...]
And just in case the Republican Party base was too dumb to follow the conspiracy theory Bachmann and Angle were yelling about on Fox last night, the Trike Force is here to help!

Right Wing Noise Machine? What Right Wing Noise Machine?

(via)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Shortened URL of the Year

Get that on a bumper sticker, now.

(h/t: @edroso)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-12-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Whatfur

Realism.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
Must every word be so perfectly Orwellian whenever Bush is the topic?

Yes. Worst President Ever and Biggest Phony Ever.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Must every word be so perfectly Orwellian whenever Bush is the topic?

Yes. Worst President Ever and Biggest Phony Ever.
Also, thanks for the excellent Mission Accomplished, Mr. W!

Quote:
Speaking of unpopular things that just bum the hell out of everybody, Iraqs top army officer says the U.S. military needs to stay put for a little while another decade sounds good, right? I would say to politicians: The U.S. army must stay until the Iraqi army is fully ready in 2020. Uhh. [BBC World Service]
Go get L. "Paul" Bremer and George "Slam Dunk" Tenet, because they need another Bush Medal of Freedom!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:26 AM

LOL. Nothing ever did make the right quiver and swell like a picture of Dubya with Teh Troops.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
LOL. Nothing ever did make the right quiver and swell like a picture of Dubya with Teh Troops.
Haha, and nothing gets the moonbats flying more than Dubya. Can't stand the genuineness, I dare say?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Haha, and nothing gets the moonbats flying more than Dubya. Can't stand the genuineness, I dare say?
Yup, the preppy from New Haven, the Skull and Bones Yalie who parades his down-home Texas affect. The genuineness, it simply oozes from him. Having said that, I don't doubt his feeling for those soldiers, whom he is responsible for putting in harm's way in what (he would no doubt not agree) was the dumbest fucking strategic mishap in the history of this nation. He owes those boys, big.

Last edited by AemJeff; 08-13-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
What a strange idea. Why do you think liberals are bothered by whatever genuineness George Bush might have? Why the hell would we care? I'm genuinely curious why you think this would be a sore spot. Can you explain?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
You mean the sort of genuineness displayed by buying a "ranch" right before running for president, using it for eight years of brush-cutting photo ops, and then selling it as soon as his time in office ran out?

Also: "Now watch this drive!" Mmm, yeah. Sincerity!

And let's not even get started on "compassionate conservatism" or his Jeebus talk. Or his love to play soldier-boy dress-up, except, you know, when it actually was time for him to serve his country.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-13-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
What a strange idea. Why do you think liberals are bothered by whatever genuineness George Bush might have? Why the hell would we care? I'm genuinely curious why you think this would be a sore spot. Can you explain?
Contrast. <insert rage and threat here>
Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
You mean the sort of genuineness displayed by buying a "ranch" right before running for president, using it for eight years of brush-cutting photo ops, and then selling it as soon as his time in office ran out?

Also: "Now watch this drive!" Mmm, yeah. Sincerity!

And let's not even get started on "compassionate conservatism" or his Jeebus talk. Or his love to play soldier-boy dress-up, except, you know, when it actually was time for him to serve his country.
Funny stuff.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
You mean after that conjugal visit your mom made or after your replying to my post?
Noted for the record.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
Noted for the record.
Pbbbt!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Funny stuff.
I got your "realism":

The right's unconditional love of this Regan wannabe is what sent the county fleeing left enough to get your pal Obama elected.. chew on that.

Your party may never fully recover from kissing the asses of the rich and privileged (elitist? they cornered the market!) in such a blatant manner, while waging war on the middle class.

For these wanton acts of self destruction, I will be forever indebted to you, W, and your brilliant Rovian strategists.

Thinking in the short term has become your modus operandi, and your failures have only begun to mount. Denial and fabrication will not see you through this. Only by abandoning the folly of the Bush years will you find a way to rectify your ongoing nightmare.

Choke on that pretzel, Mr. propagandist-for-the-oil-industry.
Or in your words: Take my "friendly advice".

Oh, and thanks again!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Funny stuff.
A more mature 'fur (yeah, I know, but just play along):

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I got nothing.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 AM

Default The Dangle of the Angle: "However, I've since been studying"

(Above: product of excessive homeschooling?)

Jack Stuef:

Quote:
Sharron Angle was forced to speak words yesterday, as she has yet to come up with the brilliant idea to have her campaign say she has a throat infection that makes her mute for the next few months.
Don't give her any ideas, Jack! Certainly, we must hear all about her plans to shut down the UN! Because?

Quote:
"We are -- I don't see any place in the Constitution with those priorities about the United Nations."
Hurrah for the Constitution! (Matthew Lee weeps.)

But once she's saved all that money (?) by shooting the UN building with her guns, what's next?

KILL SOCIAL SECURITY.

Quote:
"When I said privatize, that's what I meant. That I thought we would just have to go to the private sector for a template on how this is supposed to be done. However, I've since been studying and Chile has done this," said Angle.
But wait! Maybe the Angle campaign reads Wonkette after all?

Quote:
8 News NOW has asked the Angle campaign for time to ask her more questions about her foreign and domestic policy plans. A campaign spokesperson says 8 News NOW will be given the time to ask more questions, but that it could take some weeks to arrange an interview.
Emph. added.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-14-2010 at 03:38 AM..
Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 PM

Default The "Big Tent?" That is SO 20th century!

Ben Smith and Maggie Haberman: "GOP takes harsher stance toward Islam."

Pretty much just straight reporting. Lots of quotes. A good effort at documenting where the leaders of the Republican Party are at on this issue.

(h/t: @daveweigel and @AdamSerwer)