Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
BhTV staff

Default A Modest Accomplishment (Mark Schmitt & Rich Lowry)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Lyle

Default United Methodist Kind of Muslims

The victims argument is so crap. Like every single victim is against the building of the Cordoba center. Therefore, inter-culturally, I throw my shoe at Rich Lowry. Bad argument Rich, bad.

There is really no good argument against building the Cordoba Center and opening it. Lots of reasons to criticize them and point fingers perhaps, but let them do their thing. Apparently they're the truly moderate, United Methodist kind of Muslims... let us see it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Default Re: A Modest Accomplishment (Mark Schmitt & Rich Lowry)

There are Shinto Shrines and Japanese cultural centres very close to Pearl Harbor and on one's losing their mind over that.

What good does it do to allow the most extreme adherents define a faith? Bin Laden purports to speak for all Muslims, shouldn't we be pushing back against that narrative?

Notwithstanding the fact that Bloomberg supports the project and to outlaw it's construction would be quite likely impossible pursuant to the "Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act":

"No government shall impose or implement a land use regulation in a manner that imposes a substantial burden on the religious exercise of a person, including a religious assembly or institution, unless the government demonstrates that imposition of the burden on that person, assembly, or institution--
(A) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and
(B) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."

Last edited by Big_Time_Gumshoe; 08-03-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 AM

This must be a slow news week to be this worried about a *another* New York construction project.
chamblee54
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Heh. Well, you know, times are tough, even in NYC there isn't that much construction going on...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Mr. Lowry discusses paying for the Bush tax cuts by cutting spending. He talks about "Obamacare" and does not say a word about the wars in Babylon and Stan land.
Much of the current deficit problems had their start when congress cut taxes, knowing that an invasion of Babylon was iminent. The idea of cutting taxes on the eve of a war is madness.
Was it by design to have Mr. Schmitt on the left, and Mr. Lowry on the right? Just for kicks, why not put Bill Scher on the right this weekend?
chamblee54
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 AM

Default Enforcing our immigration laws

If like other countries we had a biometric national I.D and stiff sanctions on employers, deportations would not be necessary. Illegals would go home voluntarily if they couldn't find work.

Just about everyone who has seriously looked at the issue understands this, including Sen. Schumer of NY. Let's see how serious the Obama administration really is on the question of enforcement. .

Last edited by BornAgainDemocrat; 08-04-2010 at 01:09 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Enforcing our immigration laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat View Post
With a biometric national I.D and stiff sanctions on employers, deportations would not be necessary. Illegals would go home if they couldn't find work.

Just about everyone who has seriously looked at the issue knows this, including Sen. Schumer of NY.
Show me your papers! Why is everyone in such a hurry to live in a police state?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Because we need the police? As in a "policed state," not a "police state."

Perhaps AemJeff would prefer to live in an un-policed state?

Last edited by BornAgainDemocrat; 08-04-2010 at 01:44 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Not to mention the appearance of the "everyone knows" fallacy once again...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Because we need the police?
If I may, needing police and living in a police state are two quite different things. Ask just about any South American.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
If I may, needing police and living in a police state are two quite different things. Ask just about any South American.
Yes, I was trying to say that. A policed state, not a police state.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:

You present a false dichotomy. Which you acknowledged in your response to listener, below.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 AM

Default Re: United Methodist Kind of Muslims

Agreed. Lowry's argument was pretty unimpressive. He suggests that 10 blocks away would be more appropriate, but this to me is just trying to avoid being called on what is obviously religious intolerance. So move ten blocks away and there will undoubtedly be alot of Americans who still think it's inappropriate. 10 miles. 100 miles. Etc. At what point is it okay and how do you determine the correct distance? When we finally get to a safe distance but some people still are screaming about it, how would Lowry respond to those people? And how would his response be any different than the one being made by those who are making the same argument at the current location?

I view these things like free speech. The American tradition is to protect the freedom of even the most offensive speech. And even the most offensive religious displays. It is in these circumstances where our principles are most strenuously tested. And it is at these times that our fortitude is most crucial.

I also have no doubt that if this situation involved a Christian church, Lowry would be going to great lengths to explain that this congregation A shouldn't be punished for the sins of a small splinter group B that only happens to share a broad religious overview with many peaceful Christian believers, and highlighting the fact that unlimited freedom of religious practice was the principle concern of the Founding Fathers...and America...and apple pie...etc.

Last edited by uncle ebeneezer; 08-04-2010 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: added for clarification
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Agreed. Lowry's argument was pretty unimpressive. He suggests that 10 blocks away would be more appropriate, but this to me is just trying to avoid being called on what is obviously religious intolerance. So move ten blocks away and there will undoubtedly be alot of Americans who still think it's inappropriate. 10 miles. 100 miles. Etc. At what point is it okay and how do you determine the correct distance? When we finally get to a safe distance but some people still are screaming about it, how would Lowry respond to those people? And how would his response be any different than those who are making the same argument at the current location?

I view these things like free speech. The American tradition is to protect the freedom of even the most offensive speech. And even the most offensive religious displays. It is in these circumstances where our principles are most strenuously tested.

I also have no doubt that if this situation involved a Christian church, Lowry would be going to great lengths to explain that this congregation A shouldn't be punished for the sins of a small splinter group that only happens to share a broad religious overview with many peaceful Christian believers, and highlighting the fact that unlimited freedom of religious practice was the principle concern of the Founding Fathers...and America...and apple pie...etc.
I don't believe that even Rich believes his argument.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Because we need the police?

Quote:

Hey, we all speak rashly sometimes and say things we'd rather not have said -- myself included. But I think it speaks better of us to admit to it when it happens rather than to try to cover our tracks.

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 02:03 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I view these things like free speech. The American tradition is to protect the freedom of even the most offensive speech. And even the most offensive religious displays. It is in these circumstances where our principles are most strenuously tested. And it is at these times that our fortitude is most crucial.
Clenched fist salute, my brother.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamblee54 View Post
[...]
I like that piece of art, too.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Not to mention the appearance of the "everyone knows" fallacy once again...
As fond as I am of the Latin, on occasions such as this in this house, we just call LAMBCHOP.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
As fond as I am of the Latin, on occasions such as this in this house, we just call LAMBCHOP.
Well, to, like, totally, split hairs here, to my understanding, "everybody knows" falls under the Latin rule, while Lambchop's Rule is reserved for statements that begin with "The American People Want (or Think)," or similar substitutions of "what the A.P. want" for "what I want."

However, I am totally in favor of More Lambchop, NMWTC,* and will take any opportunity, no matter how far-fetched, to spread the Gospel of Shari.

*No Matter What the Context

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Well, to, like, totally, split hairs here, to my understanding, "everybody knows" falls under the Latin rule, while Lambchop's Rule is reserved for statements that begin with "The American People Want (or Think)," or similar substitutions of the A.P. for "what I want (or think)."
A stickler, 'ey? Okay, fine. I'll not go to the mat on this one.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Clenched fist salute, my brother.
And another one to Mike Bloomberg. This is how a real America's Mayor acts.

And don't miss the links at the bottom -- good stuff.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
A stickler, 'ey? Okay, fine. I'll not go to the mat on this one.
And not even an acknowledgment of my record-breaking use of commas?

I'm crushed.

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
And not even an acknowledgment of my record-breaking use of commas?

I'm crushed.
Sorry. It's kind of hard for me to think to praise something I view as one of my afflictions.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Whatfur

Quote:
And another one to Mike Bloomberg. This is how a real America's Mayor acts.

And don't miss the links at the bottom -- good stuff.
Is this the same Mike Bloomberg who blamed everyone but the Knights of Columbus and Islamic Terrorists for the Time Square Bombing?

Last edited by Whatfur; 08-04-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:

The only caveat to this would be if taxpayer money were being used, which it isn't. The reason I bring this up is because of the dust up around the Piss Christ. In that case, because it was awarded a prize by the NEA, it would seem taxpayers should have some say. Or in the case of boy scouts restricting homosexuals from serving as scoutmasters if the scouts use public spaces for meetings then they shouldn't be able to discriminate.

But if the funding is private and there are no zoning issues I say let the mosque be built whatever the motivation for doing so. That's the American way.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Default The Mosque and New Al Qaeda Video

Am I the only one who sees conservative criticism of Islam in general and the Mosque project in particular as an opportunity for Al Qaeda to string together snippets from various conservative pundits to show that the US is rabidly anti Muslim?

This video would then be distributed in Afghanistan and Iraq to sow doubts in the mind of wavering individuals about the true intentions of the US.

Each negative comment from the conservative pundit/political class is like putting a bulls eye on the back of an American soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With regard to Lowry's WW2 analogy, let me suggest that "loose lips, sink ships" and that conservative pundit/political class take their lead from carpenters and "measure twice, cut once".

With regard to the Mosque project itself, I agree with Lowry that it is in bad taste, but the debate should be limited to non-governmental organizations and that politicians should keep their F&%king pie holes shut. American soldiers lives are being put at risk.

Here is a link to how Macedonian Christian "terrorists" made peace with Ottoman Turkish Muslims ... for a short time:

"I Like the Turks"

Last edited by David Edenden; 08-04-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Whatfur

Oh...and I had actually forgotten that Bloombergs original "bet" on who the person behind the Time Square bomb was somebody who did not like Obamacare. Yep, this is the guy you want to get behind. Too funny.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Default Rename the mosque

It seems, despite Lowry's claims, that it is people like Palin and Newt, who have whipped up the supposed outrage over the mosque. No doubt they have been ably abetted by his fellow pamphleteers.

They seem to be the one who have renamed it the Ground Zero mosque. So may I suggest an alternative name, the Freedom Tower mosque.

Maybe in light of this renaming they will reflect on how truly vacuous their arguments really are. After all suggesting a 20 block area of New York must be mosque free, as Lowry does, doesn't seem particularly free.

I'm sure on completion, the freedom tower will have a prayer room, which will no doubt be used by Muslims, both American and foreign. It will effectively serve as a mosque. I only hope by that time, the reactionaries such as Palin, will have been sidelined, or I fear another wave of bigotry will be unleashed.

Last edited by opposable_crumbs; 08-04-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Re: The Mosque and New Al Qaeda Video

Can Conservatives and Liberals agree ... to be politically correct ... that the fight is against "Al Qaeda" terrorism rather than "Islamic/Muslim" terrorism in the same way that we can denounce IRA and ETA terrorism rather than "Irish Catholic" and "Basque" terrorism. American soldiers lives depend on it.

Lowry ... lead the charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
Each negative comment from the conservative pundit/political class is like putting a bulls eye on the back of an American soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With regard to Lowry's WW2 analogy, let me suggest that "loose lips, sink ships" and that conservative pundit/political class take their lead from carpenters and "measure twice, cut once".
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM

I think I mentioned this before, but when I was in college the Klan came and marched at my school (Delaware) and alot of us went to check it out, out of mornid curiosity. It was ugly. The marchers, the protesters. The whole affair was just dripping with anger and hate. But it was one of those only-in-America moments that to me highlighted one of the greatest virtues of our democracy. Warts and all, as they say.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I think I mentioned this before, but when I was in college the Klan came and marched at my school (Delaware) and alot of us went to check it out, out of mornid curiosity. It was ugly. The marchers, the protesters. The whole affair was just dripping with anger and hate. But it was one of those only-in-America moments that to me highlighted one of the greatest virtues of our democracy. Warts and all, as they say.
Ugly indeed. I wonder if Lowry would support the victims of Klan terror, if they wanted to veto where crosses could be constructed, burning or otherwise.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Probably more useful in getting westerners into afghanistan for training, rather than anything else.

On the issue of Iraq, I presume it's fair game to be church free now?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Lyle

Default Build a "I Don't Believe" Center Next Door

I agree, his speech about the Mosque doesn't make up for his "it was probably someone against the health care bill" remarks.

Both speeches must forever accompany one another... and thankfully, because of the internet, they likely forever will.

Some rich non-believer should buy space next door or across the street from the Center, and build a "I don't believe" center where cartoons of Muhammad are displayed.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Whatfur

Default Re: Build a "I Don't Believe" Center Next Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
I agree, his speech about the Mosque doesn't make up for his "it was probably someone against the health care bill" remarks.

Both speeches must forever accompany one another... and thankfully, because of the internet, they likely forever will.

Some rich non-believer should buy space next door or across the street from the Center, and build a "I don't believe" center where cartoons of Muhammad are displayed.
Ha! Yeah...maybe a big statue out front of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wearing a turban with a bomb implanted in it.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
If like other countries we had a biometric national I.D and stiff sanctions on employers, deportations would not be necessary. Illegals would go home voluntarily if they couldn't find work.

Just about everyone who has seriously looked at the issue understands this, including Sen. Schumer of NY. Let's see how serious the Obama administration really is on the question of enforcement. .
I think there are a ton of people in this country (including me) who would be reflexively against a national ID or any suggestion that we ought to be prepared to show our papers to prove our right to be here, outside of the currently accepted situations (when starting a new job, coming into and out of the country, etc.). And, for what it's worth, there's no particular ideological divide that determines who is and who isn't against it -- seems to me there's lots of objection on both liberal and conservative sides.

However, that aside, I'm with you that if we want to really get serious about enforcement the easiest way to do that is to enforce it with the employers. That no one has really come forward with a plan like yours, which would be hard for anyone to object to without admitting that they like the situation that illegal immigration brings about (which I don't think people would be anxious to admit, though I think in reality a lot of people do and more people benefit from) simply hardens my belief that all this immigration argument as currently framed is about is playing politics.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that even Rich believes his argument.
Yeah, unfortunately I agree. I think that's why I enjoy Pinkerton more as a diavlogger, even if what he says tends to seem goofier or farther from my own values than what Lowry says. Pinkerton seems sincere, whereas Lowry seems to be saying whatever works to push his political aim (which is about elections more than anything else). I'm really, really bored with the whole D vs. R nature of these discussions, as if every issue had to be slotted into that format and then people fall in line based on what side they are on.

The Clinton vs. Obama aspect of this discussion was especially bizarre in that regard. Clinton only raised taxes slightly, so is good, even though the idea of going back to the Clinton levels is greeted with horror and cries of socialism. Plus, of course, I remember the Clinton administration, and don't recall the right conceding that he was a centrist and just wanted a small and reasonable increase in taxes, etc.

I do wonder what the anti-free-trade Republicans (who often seem to line up with the most anti-immigration types) think of the criticism of Obama for not being sufficiently pro free trade, but I suppose anti free trade Republicans have fundamental problems with a bit of the party's ideology, even if the Republicans seem to be able to mostly keep these things damped down.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but, I hate Illinois Nazis!

Last edited by AemJeff; 08-04-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Foxman's analogizing Ground Zero with Auschwitz is beyond BS.

The plan for Ground Zero is to turn it into a complex of office buildings, shopping malls, etc. Since Foxman has no problem with that, then by his own logic I assume he'd have no problem into turning Auschwitz into a Wal-Mart. Either Ground Zero is "sacred grounds" or it's not. Foxman can't have it both ways.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Lyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Edenden View Post
That's ridiculous and an insult to all Muslims. You must think they're as stupid as pigs.