Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
BhTV staff

Default Commenter Court: Fresh-Faced Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Commenter Court: Fresh-Faced Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

Bob

I love this site, but your defense of Synoglesias is weak weak weak. Of the names I listed, only Osnos still lives in China, so the technological issue is a wash. Moreover, it's obviously the case that bhtv suggests topics for 'heads to tackle -- we've heard this from the multiple 'heads, themselves.

I don't really want to relitigate the whole Yglesias on China thing, but, suffice it to say, I don't agree with you that, even as a generalist, he had anything to add on the subject. For example, it's hardly shocking that the Chinese population is strongly nationalist.

I get that you bring generalists on, but when people come who plainly don't know what they are talking about, it only serves to discredit this site. And I love this site, and don't want to see it embarrassed.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Commenter Court: Fresh-Faced Edition (Robert Wright & Aryeh Cohen-Wade)

Two words: Blackberry app!

One more: Please!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Default I'll be here all week, folks

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/298...0:44&out=01:00

And don't forget to tip your waitress!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 AM

Default Eye on the Prize

Ok, I will take a shot at the Palin-Panther prize.

What do Bristol Palin and the New Black Panther Party have in common? Well, the initials BP jump off the page, so the real hat trick would be to reveal what British Petroleum, (New) Black Panthers and Bristol P have in common?

Answer: Compassion for Small People.

1) BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg: "I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies are greedy or don't care, but that is not the case with BP. We care about the small people."

2) (New) BP(P) also cares about Small People, i.e., 9/11 victims:

Quote:
Amir Muhammad, an officer with the NBPP, [claimed] Jews were forewarned of the disaster: "There are reports that as many as 3,000 to 5,000 so-called Jews did not go to work [at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon on 9/11], and we need to take a serious look at that."
3) Bristol Palin as "Abstinence Ambassador" is concerned about Small Horny People, adolescents on whose behalf she has taken an Abstinence Pledge, urging them to abjure condoms.

So there you have it: Reborn Virgins for Small People; Big Oil for Small People; 9/11 Truther/Anti-Semites for Small People. Pure altruism. Nonzero.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 AM

chamblee54
Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 AM

How could anyone not like D-Drez? Honestly? He's my second-favorite Blogginghead (after you, Bob).

Edit: did Bob's response to dieter admit defeat? It appears he does, and then spends 30 seconds on a tangential US foreign policy rant (full disclosure: I am prone to them myself).

Last edited by Mannish Boy; 08-03-2010 at 04:16 AM..
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Eye on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Ok, I will take a shot at the Palin-Panther prize.

What do Bristol Palin and the New Black Panther Party have in common? Well, the initials BP jump off the page, so the real hat trick would be to reveal what British Petroleum, (New) Black Panthers and Bristol P have in common?

Answer: Compassion for Small People.

1) BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg: "I hear comments sometimes that large oil companies are greedy or don't care, but that is not the case with BP. We care about the small people."

2) (New) BP(P) also cares about Small People, i.e., 9/11 victims:

3) Bristol Palin as "Abstinence Ambassador" is concerned about Small Horny People, adolescents on whose behalf she has taken an Abstinence Pledge, urging them to abjure condoms.

So there you have it: Reborn Virgins for Small People; Big Oil for Small People; 9/11 Truther/Anti-Semites for Small People. Pure altruism. Nonzero.
Genius!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM

The diavlouge series where members of the blogging heads community debate commenters it should be called Commenter Coliseum
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM

What do Bristol Palin and the New Black Panthers have in common?

Their Creators both want Less Government... More Guns... and Of Course, to kill Whitey
Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCatanese View Post
What do Bristol Palin and the New Black Panthers have in common?

Their Creators both want Less Government... More Guns... and Of Course, to kill Whitey
Epic Fail
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
BhTV staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
it's obviously the case that bhtv suggests topics for 'heads to tackle -- we've heard this from the multiple 'heads, themselves.
Just wanted to clarify this--for the majority diavlogs, we just arrange for the two participants to talk, we don't tell them what or what not to talk about. Here are the exceptions to this general rule: When we set up a diavlog on a specific topic, like John McWhorter and Richard Thompson Ford on "acting white." When something is in the news, usually something that just broke that day, we sometimes suggest to the participants that they might want to discuss it. That's it.

nikki, your objection was that we "brought Yglesias here" to discuss China. This we did not do. While I wasn't involved in setting up the Yglesias/Chotiner diavlog, I can assure you we did not tell them they had to discuss anything in particular. Moreover, because the diavlogs aren't edited, once the two people get started taping, it's entirely out of our hands what they do or don't discuss.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Eye on the Prize

Just a reminder that the largest recipient of BP campaign contributions was not Bristol Palin but none other than the marvelous one won himself.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Default My crystal ball

I believe I may see an autographed dollar bill in your future.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Default From henceforth...trust but verify, BP

Quote:
I believe I may see an autographed dollar bill in your future.
I don't know. There are so many other great entries.

Anyway, I will close this chapter in my award-winning life by noting once again our future President's extraordinary BP parenting and governing wisdom, as expressed today in People Magazine.

"I wish for Bristol to be able to move forward in life with her same forgiving, gracious, optimistic spirit, but from henceforth she'll know to trust but verify."

So from henceforth, when your boyfriend wants to drill, baby, drill, smack you upside the head with his billy club or show you his Dong-2, just trust but verify.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Default Aryeh

What would you think of starting the 'dingalink of the week' again? Not necessarily for a prize, but just the fun of it. Or maybe the best the month (out of four weekly winners) could get a t-shirt or something?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Heart of stone? Says who?

Guys, guys, where in my original post did I say, intimate for even imply that I thought Bob had a heart of stone? Quite the contrary, here's exactly what I did say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
[Bob] seems so incredibly unhappy, so completely committed to keeping everything and everyone away from his gut. Everything is sarcastic, cynical, and always from his head, never his heart.
(Emphasis added.)

My feeling was that we'd all be better off (including Bob) if he'd let us experience his heart once in awhile.

I've thought about this post quite a lot over the intervening months, and I think I wasn't fair to Bob in one respect. He's showing us his public persona, and I know that anyone living the public life now must develop a thick skin, because the criticism can be devastating. The point being, that I don't know Bob at all; I only know the face he shows the world. And I've written elsewhere recently (The Dangling Conversation) about my being a singer/songwriter and wrestling with performance anxiety all my life. So, I have enormous respect for Bob's contribution to the world, and for his (sometimes prickly) courage.

I think this little snippet shows just how much Bob has grown since he read my post. He could have delivered this line just dripping with sarcasm, but he glides right through it. I'll take this as a personal triumph (I'm LMAO, here).

About sharing my philosophy, I'm putting together a blog, but there's not much content yet. I'll put a link in my signature when I'm ready to go live.

And, in a nutshell, here's what Bob could become if he saw the light:

Yes, it's a totally cool teddy bear (with apologies to Elvis).

Last edited by StillmanThomas; 08-04-2010 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Hit submit accidentally
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Heart of stone? Says who?

Quote:
xx
Sez these guys. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Sez these guys. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
And they would know! Hope you'll read my actual post. I hit submit before I wrote anything. But perhaps that would have been better.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 AM

Ha! Funny post! I liked the Elvis reference (one of my all time favorite stupid ridiculous rock & roll lines comes from that song: "I don't wanna be a tiger/Cause tigers play too rough/I don't wanna be a lion/Cause lions ain't the kind/You love enough").

As for Bob's brusqueness and sarcasm, I have to say that for the most part I enjoy it because it is so obviously the kind of "public front" or persona that you refer to. And oddly enough, it shows that beating heart underneath clearly enough to me. I think the Bobster himself hit the mark on that subject here.

Quote:
I hit submit before I wrote anything. But perhaps that would have been better.
Good advice for many of our fellow commenters! I'll have to try that myself some time.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I liked the Elvis reference (one of my all time favorite stupid ridiculous rock & roll lines comes from that song....
I loved Elvis. Grew up with him (if I grew up at all). Another American tragedy, an immensely talented person surrounded by jerks and users who didn't care about him at all. Did you know that at the time of El's death, Colonel Tom Parker was still taking fifty cents out of every dollar he earned? Astonishing!

Quote:
I think the Bobster himself hit the mark on that subject here.
I think your dingalink got messed up somehow. (Sounds obscene, doesn't it?)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
While I wasn't involved in setting up the Yglesias/Chotiner diavlog, I can assure you we did not tell them they had to discuss anything in particular. Moreover, because the diavlogs aren't edited, once the two people get started taping, it's entirely out of our hands what they do or don't discuss.
Still, Aryeh, as a commenter who agreed with nikki when he originally voiced this complaint, I wonder if--without dictating specific DV topics--you could provide the 'heads with a general rule to keep their chats on subjects that are central to their work. I also think it would be great to arrange a DV with someone who really knew China.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 AM

Default Re: From henceforth...trust but verify, BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
So from henceforth, when your boyfriend wants to drill, baby, drill, smack you upside the head with his billy club or show you his Dong-2, just trust but verify.
Anyone getting a 403 message on the second link might try here (with a little scrolling), instead.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Re: From henceforth...trust but verify, BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Anyone getting a 403 message on the second link might try here (with a little scrolling), instead.
Chee-zeuss that is one dumb name for a blog. Thankfully, the light humor embodied in the subhead seems to redeem it.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 AM

I just want to raise my voice to the BH overlords to say that I completely disagree. Let the heads talk about whatever they want to talk about. That's what makes the site interesting and fun. If I want to watch two experts talk about their areas of expertise, I will watch the diavlogs that fit that model (and there are many of them up here regularly.) One of the best selling points of bhtv is that I can hear these wonks go off on tangents and speak off the cuff and throw ideas around that have not been studied vigorously by the speaker. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 AM

I just want to humbly thank Aryeh for my first award in his name. That dingalink was one that I was particularly proud of. So like Susan Lucci, I feel like my many years of hard work have finally been acknowledged. I just want to thank my lord and savior, the Flying Spaghetti Monster for making this all possible.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I think your dingalink got messed up somehow. (Sounds obscene, doesn't it?)
Hmm, I just checked it out, and it worked okay for me. It was Bob saying, "You can express affection by kidding with people, y'know? Right? By giving people shit... I think I do that sometimes."
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I just checked it out, and it worked okay for me. It was Bob saying, "You can express affection by kidding with people, y'know? Right? By giving people shit... I think I do that sometimes."
That's in my diavlog, and I agree that's its pretty funny and honest, but here's the link that works on my system. Don't know what's going on, but your link is beyond the end of the diavlog for me. Weird.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
Let the heads talk about whatever they want to talk about. That's what makes the site interesting and fun.
Agreed. Did you ever notice when they sometimes allude to the email they exchanged considering topics? And while they often hew close to the framework, this format allows lots of leeway ... and that's just fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I just want to thank my lord and savior, the Flying Spaghetti Monster for making this all possible.
Does salvation come with meatballs? If so, sign me up.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
That's in my diavlog, and I agree that's its pretty funny and honest, but here's the link that works on my system. Don't know what's going on, but your link is beyond the end of the diavlog for me. Weird.
Huh. Weird indeed. Oh well, thank goodness for good old-fashioned typing to clear things up.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Does salvation come with meatballs? If so, sign me up.
Sorry, it only comes with one meatball.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I just want to raise my voice to the BH overlords to say that I completely disagree. Let the heads talk about whatever they want to talk about. That's what makes the site interesting and fun. If I want to watch two experts talk about their areas of expertise, I will watch the diavlogs that fit that model (and there are many of them up here regularly.) One of the best selling points of bhtv is that I can hear these wonks go off on tangents and speak off the cuff and throw ideas around that have not been studied vigorously by the speaker. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Second that.

Also: One of the things I like about bloggers who have general interests rather than obsessively narrow concentrations is that I am much like that -- interested in lots of things, expert at none. I'm tired of nikkibong complaining about Yglesias/China, for example.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson View Post
Still, Aryeh, as a commenter who agreed with nikki when he originally voiced this complaint, I wonder if--without dictating specific DV topics--you could provide the 'heads with a general rule to keep their chats on subjects that are central to their work.
But then we would be deprived of Pinkerton on the colonization of Mars or the Moon.

And why wouldn't you want breaking news of the day -- if warranted -- to be addressed by the random heads assigned on a given day? This is a feature, not a bug of bhtv.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it only comes with one meatball.
Funny! One of my oldest songwriting buddies, Chuck McCabe, always used to play that song. Haven't heard it since I moved away from the Bay Area.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 AM

Well for the truly enlightened, they are infinite.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Well for the truly enlightened, they are infinite.
I can see I've been totally out of the loop on the Church of the FSM. My bad, eb, sorry.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 AM

I remember when I first saw a guy wearing one of the tee-shirts and he had to explain it to me. I thought: what kind of wise-ass, secular, god-bashing, liberal am I that I somehow had never even heard of this? It was my burning-bush moment.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
It was my burning-bush moment.
Too funny! The new revelation.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyMcPrepperson View Post
... as a commenter who agreed with nikki when he originally voiced this complaint, I wonder if--without dictating specific DV topics--you could provide the 'heads with a general rule to keep their chats on subjects that are central to their work. [...]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?