Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
BhTV staff

Default Splitters and Lumpers (Josh Cohen & Jim Pinkerton)

Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Default Operation Tiger

Josh mentioned the training accident that his father's unit was involved in. The biggest training disaster in the lead up to D-Day was Exercise Tiger at the end of April 1944 with 1st Engineer Special Brigade in Lyme Bay on the southern coast of England. 638 men died that day. They were attacked by German E-boats and everything went wrong - leading to many last minute changes in the month before D-Day. Those men were to land at Utah Beach. On June 6, 1944, 200 men died at Utah Beach, less than a third of the losses during Tiger.

Jim mentioned the fictional US Army First Division. I assume he misspoke - otherwise stay away from Fort Riley, Kansas, home of the Big Red One. I believe he was referring to the FUSAG, the First United States Army Group.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Operation Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thprop View Post
Josh mentioned the training accident that his father's unit was involved in. The biggest training disaster in the lead up to D-Day was Exercise Tiger at the end of April 1944 with 1st Engineer Special Brigade in Lyme Bay on the southern coast of England. 638 men died that day. They were attacked by German E-boats and everything went wrong - leading to many last minute changes in the month before D-Day. Those men were to land at Utah Beach. On June 6, 1944, 200 men died at Utah Beach, less than a third of the losses during Tiger.

Jim mentioned the fictional US Army First Division. I assume he misspoke - otherwise stay away from Fort Riley, Kansas, home of the Big Red One. I believe he was referring to the FUSAG, the First United States Army Group.
Also the title of Sam Fuller's masterpiece, about a mostly fictional unit the eponymous Army Division.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080437/
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Also the title of Sam Fuller's masterpiece, about a mostly fictional unit the eponymous Army Division.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080437/
Fuller actually served as a rifleman in the Big Red One from North Africa, to Sicily, Omaha Beach and on into the Czech Republic. He knew what he was directing.

West of Chicago is the First Division Museum. It is in Cantigny on the old estate of Colonel Robert McCormick. McCormick, the right wing publisher of the Chicago Tribune, served in the division in World War I - in its first action at Cantigny on France.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks VERY much for the posting. Here the the relevant passage from my father's memoir: "the company commander ... called us together [and] explained that German “E Boats” had sunk three LSTs (Landing Ship Tanks) with a loss of over 800 lives and all our barracks bags. Further under pain of immediate court marshal we were not to mention this loss to anyone. The first press reference to this disaster that I read appeared in Newsday in or about 1983; 39 years later. It was a very well kept secret. We were all very upset at the loss of so many men from unit. We were further upset by the implications of this tragedy; if this is happening on an exercise, what will happen when it’s the real thing?

We were grim-faced and silent as we boarded the trucks for our return to St. Austell. On arrival home my hosts [an older British couple] commented that they had heard that “your chaps had had some trouble with practice”. Under threat of court marshal, I did not respond except to say that combat training is always miserable. How did they know? I remember wondering at the time. The answer was heart-breakingly simple. Friends who lived on the shore had observed the large number of bodies being washed up."
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohen57 View Post
Here the the relevant passage from my father's memoir: "the company commander ...
Thanks for that, Josh. Very moving.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Thanks for that, Josh. Very moving.
Yes, thank you, Josh.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Default The "Mosque"

I agree with Josh on the Mosque/Cultural Center issue AND I don't want to see it built. As an atheist, I would like to see us stop wasting money on things with imaginary purposes. I realize that I am in a small minority. But I would like to see an end to the hypersensitivity toward Islam - and no more "religion of peace" crap.

Religion in general is not compatible with an open, tolerant, democratic society. Much of xianity has contorted itself into making its peace to a certain extent with the Enlightenment. Clearly not all - just look at the dominionist movement.

Islam - all of it not just the fundamentalists - is not yet ready to come to terms with Enlightenment values. I think we should be open about that. Islam has to figure out a way to work with us - not the reverse. Wanting to build an Islamic facility of sorts named after a symbol of past Islamic triumphs over the West close to the site of a horror inspired by the religion shows how far Islam is from being able to function in our society. We should make them aware of this fact.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Default Re: The "Mosque"

My reaction to building a mosque and/or Islamic cultural center near ground zero at this moment in history is not a reasoned one. It comes straight from the amygdala: no fucking way!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainDemocrat View Post
My reaction to building a mosque and/or Islamic cultural center near ground zero at this moment in history is not a reasoned one. It comes straight from the amygdala: no fucking way!
Why haven't you followed that up by working your way to a reasoned reaction? Why should the religious freedom of others be subject to your irrational impulses?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
Why haven't you followed that up by working your way to a reasoned reaction? Why should the religious freedom of others be subject to your irrational impulses?
And, by the way:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...anel-vote.html
Quote:
Plans to build an Islamic cultural center near the World Trade Center site moved forward after New York City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to allow the demolition of a building that would be replaced by a mosque.

The panel denied landmarks status to a long-vacant 152- year-old lower Manhattan building on Park Place, formerly a Burlington Coat Factory department store. The unanimous vote cleared a hurdle for the site to be torn down and the mosque, recreation and cultural center to be built.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
This is a tempest in a teapot if there ever was one. I can't believe that Americans like Jim Pinkerton are making a big fuss about this. Paris has had a mosque and Islamic cultural center since the 1920s where non Muslims are welcome. It is a very pleasant place. There is even a restaurant and a hamman open to the general public.

The New Yorkers I know are laughing at this debate.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Paris has had a mosque and Islamic cultural center since the 1920s where non Muslims are welcome. It is a very pleasant place. There is even a restaurant and a hamman open to the general public.
Can you rent it for a Bat Mitzvah?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Willard View Post
Can you rent it for a Bat Mitzvah?
Can you abstain from making idiotic remarks? I know the Boston suburbs well, so I also know the answer to that question. No.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I think he meant it as a joke.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I think he meant it as a joke.
And what exactly is the joke?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
And what exactly is the joke?
I didn't say it was a good joke, but I took it to suggest that a Bar Mitzvah in an Islamic center would be humorously incongruous.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was a good joke, but I took it to suggest that a Bar Mitzvah in an Islamic center would be humorously incongruous.
Incongruity is one aspect humor, but it takes real wit to perceive interesting incongruities. The incongruities of religious practices are not funny.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Incongruity is one aspect humor, but it takes real wit to perceive interesting incongruities. The incongruities of religious practices are not funny.
Florian, we need to have a beer. Meet me at the Old North Bridge in Concord. I'll bring the Sam Adams.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Florian, we need to have a beer. Meet me at the Old North Bridge in Concord. I'll bring the Sam Adams.
It's a deal. I love old Concord. But who knows when? I left Cambridge and environs in 1992, and all my Boston friends have since moved on to greener pastures.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
It's a deal. I love old Concord. But who knows when? I left Cambridge and environs in 1992, and all my Boston friends have since moved on to greener pastures.
Next time you're in the sylvan exurbs. See, I'm thinking we can trade barbs, but holding out the promise of a "beer summit", we won't be consigned to the "flame war" page.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
BhTV staff

Default Exile averted

Quote:
I'm thinking we can trade barbs, but holding out the promise of a "beer summit", we won't be consigned to the "flame war" page.
Very clever, Simon Willard, very clever. But I have my eye on you.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Paris has had a mosque and Islamic cultural center since the 1920s where non Muslims are welcome.
Yes, and there are, of course, mosques and Islamic cultural centers in the US too. Also, Jim Pinkerton has plenty of wacky ideas, so that he's taking the view he is here seems hardly surprising or especially representative of America vs. France or whatever.

Last edited by stephanie; 08-03-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Yes, and there are, of course, mosques and Islamic cultural centers in the US too. Also, Jim Pinkerton has plenty of wacky ideas, so that he's taking the view he is here seems hardly surprising or especially representative of America vs. France or whatever.
On the contrary, it is highly representative of a certain kind of American.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
On the contrary, it is highly representative of a certain kind of American.
I don't agree, but I suspect this is an argument not worth having. There's no particular problem in America with our Muslim population or between Muslims and non-Muslims, contrary to what your recent comments seem to suggest.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
This is a tempest in a teapot if there ever was one. I can't believe that Americans like Jim Pinkerton are making a big fuss about this. Paris has had a mosque and Islamic cultural center since the 1920s where non Muslims are welcome. It is a very pleasant place. There is even a restaurant and a hamman open to the general public.

The New Yorkers I know are laughing at this debate.
Forget Paris - take the train down to DC, hop on the Red Line, walk from the Dupont station down to Mass Ave and check out the beautiful Mosque and Islamic Center right here in the nations capitol. I first went on a weekend, and lots of folks hanging out, sitting with the Imam on the floor and asking him questions about Islam. Another time there was a wedding happening. It's a great space and beautiful building (built in 1957 according to their website: http://www.theislamiccenter.com).
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Well, the model ostensibly is The 92nd Street Y. A Jewish cultural institution and great promoter of secular humanist values and culture.

(Quickie reference for millennials and proud atheists living west of the Hudson River: it was affectionately parodied in film 'The Royal Tenenbaums' as "The 357th Street Y", a warm - if admittedly not particularly witty - tribute from a Texas Christian auteur to Manhattan's Jewish cultural accomplishment and interests.)

Click on its webpage and you'll find a picture of, of all people, famed rebbe Christopher Hitchins! He'll be participating in an upcoming debate. He's there all the time.

He's between pictures of Tony Blair and, um, the guy from Green Day, all of who will be appearing at other educational functions.

http://www.92y.org/default.asp

You're then one click away from programs, lectures and classes featuring, among others, Tony Kushner, Maragert Atwood, Paul Muldoon and V.S. Naipaul. All appearing in coming weeks or months.

Pretty much an all-world, All Star team of secular humanist values and artistic accomplishment! (Well, okay, except for the Green Day guy and the bit about "artistic accomplishment.")

You write "Religion in general is not compatible with an open, tolerant, democratic society." The 92nd Street Y is clear refutation. In any month it promotes more of an open, tolerant, democratic society - alongside culture, high and low - than all but a few purely secular institutions in the world are able to do in years and years.

An Islamic equivalent would be unprecedented in history. If it was 1/20th what the 92nd Street Y is, it would be.

Whether that's possible - well, that's another debate.

But, yeah, few things on earth promote your beloved "enlightenment values" more than The 92nd Street Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association in Manhattan.

(Oh, ask around, if you don't believe me. Google. Whatever.)

Last edited by Rathertired; 08-04-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM

All very true about the "Y." Well put.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathertired View Post
Well, the model ostensibly is The 92nd Street Y. A Jewish cultural institution and great promoter of secular humanist values and culture....
nice post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Default Let your enemy identify himself

We have it on the solemn word of President Bush and President Obama that Islam is not the enemy. Does the Ground-Zero "Mosque" represent Islamic triumphalism? One way to find out is to allow it to be built. Public curiosity about this question is very high, and if there is any symbolic message here, it will come to light. The best argument against this building is a public safety argument: that it may attract conflict. The best argument in favor of the building? Let your enemy identify himself. Let your friend identify himself.

American Muslims must get along with the rest of us, and for the most part, they want to. This leads to a question: Regardless of the intentions of the building's sponsors, is there any chance that intense public scrutiny will turn the center into a symbol of Islamic contrition?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Lyle

Default A contrite center would be nice

Someone, somewhere made a interesting point a while back about the Cordoba center dedicating some of its space to become like a memorial/museum to Islamic inspired violence. I don't know of many religious institutions that do this. Holocaust museums tend to be separate and apart from any synagogue or church (from my knowledge). It would be nice to see them holding up a mirror to their own religion though... cause it squarely needs it.

They might change the name from the Cordoba center as well, since it is a reminder of the Islamic invasion and occupation of Spain. Yes, medieval Muslim Spain had some nice things going on... but it was all part of the illegal and belligerent occupation of a Christian European country.

I jest about the last paragraph. Who really cares.

Last edited by Lyle; 08-03-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Re: A contrite center would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
Someone, somewhere made a interesting point a while back about the Cordoba center dedicating some of its space to become like a memorial/museum to Islamic inspired violence. I don't know of many religious institutions that do this. Holocaust museums tend to be separate and apart from any synagogue or church (from my knowledge). It would be nice to see them holding up a mirror to their own religion though... cause it squarely needs it.
Would you consider it reasonable to demand that YMCA's include a memorial/museum section to commemorate the victims of Christian violence? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing non-Muslims constantly declare that only they know the true violent nature of the religion, and that Muslims should all atone for this fundamental violence that they've discovered. There's nothing here but ignorance, opportunism, and often bigotry.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Lyle

Default Muslims aren't above being criticized

Excuse me... but I can be as critical of the center as I want to be. Just like they have to freedom to believe and espouse whatever they want. They don't have to be contrite at all. I just think it behooves them to be contrite.

I mean, they picked the location to purposefully put it near ground zero and on property where debris fell. Therefore, I think they should be open about the Muslim world's failures... like for example 9/11. I mean, it's akin to teaching about slavery and segregation across America. As Americans, we're critical of ourselves and I don't think Muslims should be any different.

Is it really that difficult for you to understand the value in criticizing Islam and Muslims? Have you not ever criticized Christians or Jews? I mean, I'd still be a Catholic today if I never criticized myself or Catholicism.

Last edited by Lyle; 08-03-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Lyle

Default Yes to the YMCA

... if it were intentionally built near say a concentration camp to show that Christianity is really only about being "good" and to distance Christianity from the atrocities that took place in the camp. Christianity and the Holocaust aren't like Islam and 9/11 though... I mean the Nazis hated God.

The YMCA isn't a really good example to bring up as well, cause there is nothing really comparable to the events of 9/11 and its nexus with Islam, with regards to contemporary Christian violence.

Last edited by Lyle; 08-03-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
My use of "contrition" was a bit strong. You are right that institutions, churches, for example, don't do this, and I wouldn't expect it. Yet, there are indirect ways to address the injury. Liberal Christian and liberal Jewish groups in this country do have a history of making gestures of friendship and accommodation to groups with whom there has been past conflict. So, what I'm suggesting is that the specific activities at the Ground-Zero center can have an effect in one direction or the other, and these things will be amplified by the press and public curiosity.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
That was me and I think it would make a lot of people happy if Islam would admit that some of its doctrine has a way of being used for nefarious purposes.

Like last night I heard about a woman who had her nose and ears cut off by her aggrieved husband. Her punishment was prescribed by a Taliban. She had left him.

Why in the world would she do that?

BTW, I found this interesting site.
It addresses the issues you brought up.

Last edited by badhatharry; 08-04-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Lyle

Yeah, girl is on the cover of Time magazine this week, I believe. Or Newsweek... don't know which.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, girl is on the cover of Time magazine this week, I believe. Or Newsweek... don't know which.

lylz ideer of girlz
Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Default the Pinkerton/Gingrich approach does not apply

We are no longer a united country. Whoever "we" are, we cannot protect ourselves by taking the fight to the foreigners. Better to wall our selves off from the world. Better for states to be allowed to set their own immigration and trade policies. Gingrich wants the US to attack Iran. Jim wants the muslims identified, tracked and expelled. Let's consolidate what we still have. Observe from afar as the rest of the world spirals out of control, its populations growing at unsustainable rates, its economies hopelessly imbalanced because working class people no longer have the open space land necessary for them to produce what they need.

Be good.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Splitters and Lumpers (Josh Cohen & Jim Pinkerton)

A few thoughts on the Mosque issue:

I disagree with Josh's total rejection of calling the culture center a mosque. Since it includes a mosque, I don't think it's incorrect to refer to it as a mosque.

That being said, I don't buy James' argument. Suggesting that our cultural closed-mindedness during WW2, which helped lead to the internment of Japanese citizens, is to be admired or imitated, ignores the philosophy of multicuturalism in our society.