Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM
BhTV staff

Default Not Some Egghead Exclusive Thing (Alyssa Rosenberg & Seth Colter Walls)

Old 08-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Not Some Egghead Exclusive Thing (Alyssa Rosenberg & Seth Colter Walls)

Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Not Some Egghead Exclusive Thing (Alyssa Rosenberg & Seth Colter Walls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
I take it that you have posted edvard munch's scream as an editorial complaint, more than as a general signifier of the sort of higher culture that your fave Alyssa alluded to regarding Opera?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
I take it that you have posted edvard munch's scream as an editorial complaint, more than as a general signifier of the sort of higher culture that your fave Alyssa alluded to regarding Opera?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
I think nikkibong was just bragging about his new coffee cup.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 PM

People taking notes in books is the weirdest thing to me. I just don't get it. I read a lot, out of both personal love and professional obligation. But I have never, ever taken a note in or about a book I'm reading. Never. The very idea just seems very strange to me, but it also seems that I am very out of keeping with my book-reading peers.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
People taking notes in books is the weirdest thing to me. I just don't get it. I read a lot, out of both personal love and professional obligation. But I have never, ever taken a note in or about a book I'm reading. Never. The very idea just seems very strange to me, but it also seems that I am very out of keeping with my book-reading peers.
I've never taken notes in the margins of books, but my daughter does. And when I read a book that she's lent me, her notes give me a small sense that I am reading it with her, seeing what it is that she responded to, and getting a sense of what moves her and what is important to her.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Default The Dangling Conversation

I invite our guests and viewers to invest three minutes in this song, written over 40 years ago by Paul Simon and performed by Simon and Garfunkel. I'm getting old now, not in great health, could go at any time I suppose. But then I wouldn't get to see what's coming up on the USA Network, or find out if Lady Gaga is. . . . Whatever.

I liked Julia Roberts' take on La Traviata in Pretty Woman: "I almost peed my pants." Right up there with The Marx Brothers, I'd say.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Default call me al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I invite our guests and viewers to invest three minutes in this song, written over 40 years ago by Paul Simon and performed by Simon and Garfunkel. I'm getting old now, not in great health, could go at any time I suppose. But then I wouldn't get to see what's coming up on the USA Network, or find out if Lady Gaga is. . . . Whatever.

I liked Julia Roberts' take on La Traviata in Pretty Woman: "I almost peed my pants." Right up there with The Marx Brothers, I'd say.
Well, all right, but now you have to listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqrKe...eature=related
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Default Re: call me al

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
Well, all right, but now you have to listen to this:
Not one of Paul's great songs IMO, but you do get to hear the entirely-too-unsung Ray Phiri playing his Strat. Paul was always amazing at writing up tempo hits, interspersed with deep, sensitive, poetic ruminations on his time and place. Also not sure what that song has to do with this diavlog, but again, whatever.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Not one of Paul's great songs IMO, but you do get to hear the entirely-too-unsung Ray Phiri playing his Strat. Paul was always amazing at writing up tempo hits, interspersed with deep, sensitive, poetic ruminations on his time and place. Also not sure what that song has to do with this diavlog, but again, whatever.
I loved his Graceland/Call Me Al phase...I thought it would cheer you up a little.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I loved his Graceland/Call Me Al phase...I thought it would cheer you up a little.
Yeah, Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints were incredible! Thanks for thinking of my well-being, Look. I'm not particularly uncheerful, although I probably come across that way. I laugh all the time, but I'm a pessimist in my genes, I think. The Pessimistic Gene -- somebody should write that book. I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested reader....
Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints were incredible! Thanks for thinking of my well-being, Look. I'm not particularly uncheerful, although I probably come across that way. I laugh all the time, but I'm a pessimist in my genes, I think. The Pessimistic Gene -- somebody should write that book. I'll leave that as an exercise for the interested reader....
Glad to hear it. I suffer from that myself to a large extent. For example, if a trip or outing or plan is proposed, I immediately calculate what can go wrong. It's amazing that their are people out there who just jump in with both feet, with nary a care.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It's amazing that their are people out there who just jump in with both feet, with nary a care.
I've always been boggled by that, too. My dad was a salesman, door-to-door sometimes. I once asked him how he dealt with the constant rejection. He thought a minute and said, "I just assume that everyone wants to meet me." I was absolutely bowled over by that. The idea would never have occurred to me in a million years. Folks are just wired up differently, I guess.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Default okay

How about this. It's my favorite S/G song, and I love this rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2X64xT63R8
Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Default American Tune

Quote:
How about this. It's my favorite S/G song, and I love this rendition.
Brilliant! I haven't seen that performance before. I think it demonstrates what an amazing guitarist / musician Paul is. He's playing live, apparently in 100 degree weather, to a handful of people, for free. But he's duplicating almost note-for-note his studio performance of that rich and complex guitar part from the 60s. You made my day now, Look.

Since we've got a Paul Simon linkfest going, check out this one from the same period. As great as "The Boxer," IMO.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Re: American Tune

Quote:
Brilliant! I haven't seen that performance before. I think it demonstrates what an amazing guitarist / musician Paul is. He's playing live, apparently in 100 degree weather, to a handful of people, for free. But he's duplicating almost note-for-note his studio performance of that rich and complex guitar part from the 60s. You made my day now, Look.

Since we've got a Paul Simon linkfest going, check out this one from the same period. As great as "The Boxer," IMO.
Very soulful. Thanks.

I love your dad's attitude. Maybe if we all just jumped in with faith in our fellow humans (or a devil-may-care attitude), we'd be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe if we all just jumped in with faith in our fellow humans (or a devil-may-care attitude), we'd be pleasantly surprised by the results.
There's a line from National Velvet that I love. Velvet (Elizabeth Taylor) asks her trainer (Mickey Rooney) how to do the jumps. He says something like, "Throw your heart over and the rest will follow." I love the sentiment and I believe it's true, but I find it terribly difficult to do in life.

I've been playing guitar and writing and singing songs for almost 50 years, but I still find it nauseatingly awful to perform. It never gets easier, and I never enjoy it. I have absolutely no clue how to get over it and just relax.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
There's a line from National Velvet that I love. Velvet (Elizabeth Taylor) asks her trainer (Mickey Rooney) how to do the jumps. He says something like, "Throw your heart over and the rest will follow." I love the sentiment and I believe it's true, but I find it terribly difficult to do in life.

I've been playing guitar and writing and singing songs for almost 50 years, but I still find it nauseatingly awful to perform. It never gets easier, and I never enjoy it. I have absolutely no clue how to get over it and just relax.
I do not want to be facile here...but you practice zazen don't you? Have you tried the concentration method? Where there's no you, just the guitar? Like Herrigel who became an expert archer, sensing when the bow would release itself.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I do not want to be facile here...but you practice zazen don't you? Have you tried the concentration method? Where there's no you, just the guitar? Like Herrigel who became an expert archer, sensing when the bow would release itself.
Hey, Look, that's not facile at all. It's a very good question. The problem I have with zazen is that when there's no me, there's also no guitar. I can't seem to do anything in that state of mind. I've thought of going to a zendo and getting a master, but there isn't one nearby, and I don't do too well as a student, anyway. But that's taking it to the next level, I think. Staying in the "no mind" state while living one's daily life. Maybe I should try again.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Hey, Look, that's not facile at all. It's a very good question. The problem I have with zazen is that when there's no me, there's also no guitar. I can't seem to do anything in that state of mind. I've thought of going to a zendo and getting a master, but there isn't one nearby, and I don't do too well as a student, anyway. But that's taking it to the next level, I think. Staying in the "no mind" state while living one's daily life. Maybe I should try again.
There's a roshi in Sedona, CA I was once interested in training under. Now, I don't think I have the right stuff (I'm lazy as sin). Can't think of his name now. Maybe walking meditation would be a good place for you to start...like walking and chewing gum at the same time

A book I have recommends starting with one day a week devoted to mindfulness. But another book warns against quietism, or meditative withdrawal for it's own sake. As you may gather, I've read a great deal about Zen without putting it to practice, which I believe is called 'to stink of Zen.'
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
There's a roshi in Sedona, CA I was once interested in training under. Now, I don't think I have the right stuff (I'm lazy as sin).... As you may gather, I've read a great deal about Zen without putting it to practice, which I believe is called 'to stink of Zen.'
Is there really a Sedona in California? I was raised in Phoenix and we spent many happy weekends in Sedona, AZ. That's kind of a new age spiritual place now.

I think a lot of us have read more than practiced Zen. There's something very pristine and beautiful about Zen as a philosophy, which makes no sense at all, really, from the standpoint of Zen Mind. My experience of actually doing Zen meditation is that it is arduous at least, extremely daunting as a way of life. One needs a path that one can make progress on. I found that I wasn't getting anywhere with Zen and moved on to other pursuits. I often fall back on zazen, though, for calmness and clarity, exactly as you suggested.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Is there really a Sedona in California? I was raised in Phoenix and we spent many happy weekends in Sedona, AZ. That's kind of a new age spiritual place now.

I think a lot of us have read more than practiced Zen. There's something very pristine and beautiful about Zen as a philosophy, which makes no sense at all, really, from the standpoint of Zen Mind. My experience of actually doing Zen meditation is that it is arduous at least, extremely daunting as a way of life. One needs a path that one can make progress on. I found that I wasn't getting anywhere with Zen and moved on to other pursuits. I often fall back on zazen, though, for calmness and clarity, exactly as you suggested.
My bad:

http://www.smzc.net/pages/home.html

I learned of this roshi from reading Zen in America, which followed the paths of five American Zen masters. Very interesting read. Of all of them, I was drawn to Jokusho Kwong-roshi.

Great talking to you. I guess we should seriously try to get our Zen acts together!

An haiku I came across:

A brushwood gate,
and for a lock, this snail.

(perhaps by Basho)

'night
Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
An haiku I came across:

A brushwood gate,
and for a lock, this snail.

(perhaps by Basho)

'night
I love Basho, although he's no Paul Simon ;-) Thanks for that, Look. Best wishes.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 AM

Forgot to include my favorite Zen proverb, not from Basho.

Sitting quietly doing nothing
Spring comes
The grass grows by itself
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Spring comes
It's late, very late, and I just stumbled across this conversation, which I've only had the energy and focus to skim right now. Nonetheless, I found what you both had to say very soulful and moving. I've come up against many of the same questions/dilemmas being discussed here. So thanks to both Bokonon & look for being willing to put your hearts on the line.

Re the musical performance/practice portion of the discussion, I found some of this book useful. And even more so, this one.

Last edited by listener; 08-02-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 AM

Default the boy in the bubble

BTW, have either of you heard Patti Smith's cover of "The Boy in the Bubble" from her album Twelve? It just about destroyed me when I first heard it. (Ignore the silly video, just listen to the music).
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Re: the boy in the bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
BTW, have either of you heard Patti Smith's cover of "The Boy in the Bubble" from her album Twelve? It just about destroyed me when I first heard it. (Ignore the silly video, just listen to the music).
I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for the pointer. That's one of Paul's most depressing later songs. But I love some of the lines, especially this one:

And the dead sand
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for the pointer. That's one of Paul's most depressing later songs. But I love some of the lines, especially this one:

And the dead sand
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth
Yes, it's dark terrifying and thrilling. Yet through all the chaos and violence there is another perspective wound throughout : "These are the days of miracles and wonder." To me it evokes a sense of awe and miraculousness even in the face of such senseless destruction that makes me want to cry and yet fills me with hope at the same time.

There is the powerful combination of the objective, unemotional voice describing horrendous events such as "bomb in the baby carriage" with the sinister texture of the music carrying its emotional weight. It seems to highlight the difference between our human emotional responses to such events and impartial response of the "automatic earth." In fact, what comes to mind for me is this:

Quote:
Heaven and Earth are impartial;
They see the ten thousand things as straw dogs.
The wise are impartial;
they see the people as straw dogs.

The space between heaven and earth is like a bellows.
The shape changes but not the form;
The more it moves, the more it yields.
More words count less.
Hold fast to the center.
Lao Tsu
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 AM

Your Lao Tsu quote is one of my favorites from the Tao Te Ching. Thanks for a very beautiful reminder. I hadn't made that connection with "The Boy in the Bubble," but I agree it's a powerful one.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
So thanks to both Bokonon & look for being willing to put your hearts on the line.
Thanks, listener.

Quote:
Re the musical performance/practice portion of the discussion, I found some of this book useful. And even more so, this one.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Question Re: American Tune

Quote:
It's late, very late, and I just stumbled across this conversation, which I've only had the energy and focus to skim right now. Nonetheless, I found what you both had to say very soulful and moving. I've come up against many of the same questions/dilemmas being discussed here. So thanks to both Bokonon & look for being willing to put your hearts on the line.

y/w

Both of those books look amazing.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Ahh, you beat me to it!! I was just going to throw EM into the mix. I picked up Effortless Mastery at a buddie's house a couple years ago and thought it was really amazing. I never had tremendous performance anxiety, but still think the general approach is great for improving (and enjoying more) your musical playing. It's amazing how much easier it is when you (I) stop worrying about how I compare to other players, whether or not I will nail that tough part etc.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
I picked up Effortless Mastery at a buddie's house a couple years ago and thought it was really amazing.
Thanks, Eb and Listener. I just ordered it and I'm looking forward to working through it. BHTV is such an amazing place!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Spring comes
Beautiful, thank you.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Beautiful, thank you.
You're quite welcome.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I have been playing guitar for 47 years and writing songs for about 44 years. And I know exactly how you feel, although I actually performed professionally when I was in high school. I am now at the stage where I can give very good performances for friends but still often have bad stage fright when performing for strangers. There is no panacea for this problem, just as there is no good formula for weight loss. You have probably tried everything, perhaps including beta-blockers, but my advice would be to try to pretend that the audience is not there, that you are playing for yourself. While you do care what they think, and you are trying to communicate, pretend that they are not there and that you don't care what they think, it's just between you and the universe. If you have tried this already, and you probably have, all I can say is to try harder. No one likes to pour his soul out and then to be rejected.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM

I would never mention Eric Clapton in the same breath with Stevie Ray. When people mention Eric Clapton to me, I look for the gun I don't own.

On an even more personal note, I was in a rock band in France with a bunch of other old guys last year. One of the guys, the lead guitarist, had been a professional rock musician in Britain, in and around London, for many years. The drummer had been the drummer in a very famous rock band which shall go unnamed (but I just jammed with him a few days ago). The other guitarist had never heard of Wes Montgomery. I tried to get the band to play "Cold Shot," based upon Stevie Ray, without success. I left the band, and I could never get over not being able to sell them on "Cold Shot." The lead guitarist found it boring, and the singer could not sing the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxxBGb2uSE

Last edited by ledocs; 08-09-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
I would never mention Eric Clapton in the same breath ...
I will ask you again to consider this. When you post comments by replying to other comments which merely happen to be the most recent in the linear view (or when you post a new comment by clicking the Post Reply button at the top of the forum page, or the post a comment link at the bottom of the video page, or whatever it is you're doing), and further, when you do not even use the quote mechanism, it makes it a chore to understand what you're talking about.

Why will you not put the tiny amount of effort into following forum conventions, so that you don't distract from the useful and interesting things you often have to say?

==========

[Added]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledocs View Post
Thanks for the link. A nice version. I love how they brought the jam way down low.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-09-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM

BJ, I often put a huge amount of effort into my posts, as I am sure you recognize. In the present instance, I did not want to use the convention to which you refer, because I don't want to get into a whole controversy about Eric Clapton and I don't want anyone to take my personal eccentricities and opinions too seriously. The author of the post to which I was referring will know, which is more than enough.