Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default GOPtalk, part 2

Eh, the old thread devoted to observing the Republican Party and its slide down the depressing spiral was getting too long. Therefore, let's have a fresh one.

Start us off, won't you, O Shrill One?

Quote:
Redo That Voodoo

Republicans are feeling good about the midterms — so good that they’ve started saying what they really think. This week the party’s Senate leadership stopped pretending that it cares about deficits, stating explicitly that while we can’t afford to aid the unemployed or prevent mass layoffs of schoolteachers, cost is literally no object when it comes to tax cuts for the affluent.

And that’s one reason — there are others — why you should fear the consequences if the G.O.P. actually does as well in November as it hopes.

For a while, leading Republicans posed as stern foes of federal red ink. Two weeks ago, in the official G.O.P. response to President Obama’s weekly radio address, Senator Saxby Chambliss devoted his entire time to the evils of government debt, “one of the most dangerous threats confronting America today.” He went on, “At some point we have to say ‘enough is enough.’ ”

But this past Monday Jon Kyl of Arizona, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, was asked the obvious question: if deficits are so worrisome, what about the budgetary cost of extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, which the Obama administration wants to let expire but Republicans want to make permanent? What should replace $650 billion or more in lost revenue over the next decade?

His answer was breathtaking: “You do need to offset the cost of increased spending. And that’s what Republicans object to. But you should never have to offset the cost of a deliberate decision to reduce tax rates on Americans.” So $30 billion in aid to the unemployed is unaffordable, but 20 times that much in tax cuts for the rich doesn’t count.
The rest.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Jon Kyl was being stupid here, as people like Reihan Salam and Kevin Williamson have already pointed out. But it's ironic for Krugman to point this out, as he's the opposte end of the crazy economic perspective. On one hand, we have people like Kyl engaging in "starve the beastism", claiming tax cuts will always pay for themselves. They won't. But on the other hand, we have Krugman advocating spending as much money as possible during a recession, claiming no real negative repercussions will result. They will.

Full Williamson: http://www.nationalreview.com/excheq...na-ve-stimulus
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Jon Kyl was being stupid here, as people like Reihan Salam and Kevin Williamson have already pointed out. But it's ironic for Krugman to point this out, as he's the opposte end of the crazy economic perspective. On one hand, we have people like Kyl engaging in "starve the beastism", claiming tax cuts will always pay for themselves. They won't. But on the other hand, we have Krugman advocating spending as much money as possible during a recession, claiming no real negative repercussions will result. They will.

Full Williamson: http://www.nationalreview.com/excheq...na-ve-stimulus
I think calling Krugman "crazy" would carry a significant burden of proof. You might disagree with him philosophically or on the merits of a particular issue; but he's synonymous with (iconic of) one of the poles of contemporary economic thinking, and is certainly considered to hold an authoritative position within that spectrum.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Whatfur
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
I think calling Krugman "crazy" would carry a significant burden of proof. You might disagree with him philosophically or on the merits of a particular issue; but he's synonymous with (iconic of) one of the poles of contemporary economic thinking, and is certainly considered to hold an authoritative position within that spectrum.
Krugman provides proof quite often on his own. I have provided some right here a few times.

Here are a couple economists who are not more worried about getting invited to the next liberal soiree than they are about correctly analyzing the current situation. This has the 5th segment queued up...watch them all. Probably won't see them matched up here together...would love to see them matched up with the hack you defend.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default "Looks like Erick 'Son of Olaf the 0-Fer' Erickson is keeping his streak alive"

RedFace in the RedState, once again.

And sadly, this means no more campaign commercials of awesomeness.

Also: bets on whether, nonetheless, the GHEMRotRSTF will still declare victory?
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
listener listener is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Amurka
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: "Looks like Erick 'Son of Olaf the 0-Fer' Erickson is keeping his streak alive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
RedFace in the RedState, once again.

And sadly, this means no more campaign commercials of awesomeness.

Also: bets on whether, nonetheless, the GHEMRotRSTF will still declare victory?
Ah yes, I remember seeing that "Gather your armies" ad, and Dave Weigel's analysis of it and of the primary race in general. IIRC, Weigel leaned toward thinking that Barber's strategy in running those ads would not ultimately be effective.
__________________
"Nothing is always absolutely so." -- Theodore Sturgeon
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Your moment of juxaposition

Back a couple of years ago, on this site, a claim was made:

Quote:
Take it from someone who was born and raised in Los Angeles, visited Idaho when he was 22, moved there as part of a telecommunications project at 27, bought a farm there at 35 and spends about half his time there, Idaho is just like most of 'the rest of the US'.
As was this, also posted on this site, from about the same time.

Quote:
And believe me, I love the fact that ID is not Seattle or New York City (or Los Angeles). People are the same everywhere ...
And now from elsewhere and more recently, we have this story, which begins as follows.

Quote:
Idaho Republicans Hate Word ‘Fiesta’ For Reason You May Suspect

Some depressing county fair in Idaho decided its theme this year would be “Fiesta at the Fair,” as that seems exotic and fun (depressing). So of course the county GOP decided that this was an evil Messican idea. “Bonner County fair board Chairman Tim Cary said the fair was just looking for a theme that’s fun to decorate with, and the choice had nothing to do with official language or immigration disputes.” NICE TRY. The Bonner County GOP’s booth will say “celebrate” instead of “fiesta” and they have “asked Arizona officials for some license plates to put in the booth.” This gets more dumb and depressing, as you can imagine.

[...]
Wonder what happened to all those people up there, who used to be (?) "just like most of 'the rest of the US'" and "the same everywhere."

I suppose we could make things hang together if we concluded that Idaho Republicans are not any longer like "'the rest of the US'."
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Whatfur
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Fork in the road.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: GOPtalk, part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatfur View Post
"Are we going to reclaim the American idea -- an entrepreneurial economy where you make the most of your life, you tap your potential, we reinvigorate the principles of liberty, freedom, free enterprise -- and defend the morality of that -- or are we going to abandon that

and once again let fear and bigotry replace thinking, and thus elect a bunch of Republicans? Are we going to let ourselves get fooled once again into believing that the party who thinks all problems are solved by giving tax cuts to the rich actually gives a shit about small town RealAmericans™ like you and me? Are we going to pretend once again that the only thing preventing everyone in the country from becoming a millionaire is those few remaining shreds of consumer and environmental protection remaining on the books?

Fixt.

No charge for the translation. I'm here to help.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default A quiz

Who said these things?

1:

Quote:
In an interview with the Associated Press last week, [name1] said tea partiers are actually helping Democrats, given their support of novice candidates like Sharron Angle who might blow chances at unseating the party in power.

"[...] My sources in Nevada say with Sharon Angle there's no way Harry Reid loses in Nevada," [name1] said. S/He also said thanks to Rand Paul's candidacy, "that's a seat [Republicans] could lose."

"... at the moment there is not a cohesive Republican strategy of this is what we're going to do. And certainly among the tea party types there's clearly no strategy of this is what we're going to do," s/he said.
a. Robert Bennet
b. Donna Brazile
c. Tim Kaine
d. Joe Klein
e. Andrea Mitchell
========================================

2. Regarding the Virginia tea party people:

Quote:
“With this group, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you think you can be a member of Congress.”
a. John Cole
b. Jane Hamsher
c. Robert Hurt
d. Rachel Maddow
e. Chris Rock
========================================

3.

Quote:
"The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out," s/he said.

[name3] also said s/he challenged a group of Tea Partiers in a meeting: "'What do you want to do? You take back your country -- and do what with it?'...Everybody went from being kind of hostile to just dead silent."
a. Eric Alterman
b. Lindsey Graham
c. Mickey Kaus
d. Ezra Klein
e. Christina Romer
========================================

4.

Quote:
In an interview with the Associated Press, [name4] suggested "that tea party favorites such as former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin and right-wing talk show hosts like Glenn Beck are the culprits" of "demagoguery" that threatens the Republican party long term.

[name4] didn't directly name the tea party movement, but challenged one of the key talking points tea partiers picked up from Palin during the health care debate.

Quote:
"There were no death panels in the bill ... and to encourage that kind of fear is just the lowest form of political leadership. It's not leadership. It's demagoguery."
a. Eric Holder
b. Arianna Huffington
c. Bob Inglis
d. Paul Krugman
e. Kathleen Sebelius
========================================


(answers | details | h/t)
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-17-2010 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: put names in alphabetical order
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 PM
listener listener is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Amurka
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Who said these things?

...
Well, ya kinda gave the game away by putting it in this thread...

But I guess I've been paying more attention this week than I'd thought -- I saw the interview with #4, and had heard about 1 and 3. After all this time, it is mildly encouraging to finally begin hearing such words.
__________________
"Nothing is always absolutely so." -- Theodore Sturgeon
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Well, ya kinda gave the game away by putting it in this thread...
Yeah, I probably should have put it in the Dem thread, huh?

Quote:
But I guess I've been paying more attention this week than I'd thought -- I saw the interview with #4, and had heard about 1 and 3. After all this time, it is mildly encouraging to finally begin hearing such words.
That it is. But let's wait and see how much of an effort is made to purge them. I have a feeling things are going to have to continue to get uglier before they get better.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 AM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: A quiz

And the string of never ending concern trolling continues
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
AemJeff AemJeff is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,750
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
And the string of never ending concern trolling continues
That's a mis-characterization I think.
__________________
-A. E. M. Jeff (Eponym)
Magnets - We know how they work!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
That's a mis-characterization I think.
That's a polite way of putting it. I'd say it was more like throwing out a poorly-understood buzzword, just to be contrary. A little bit of piddle on the ground before fleeing again, from someone who has put forth approximately zero effort the past few days to say anything more than neener neener boo boo.

To think that only a few days I was standing up for chi as someone worth engaging with, and a hopeful sign that we were adding another worthwhile conservative to the community. Oh well!
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-18-2010 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: A quiz

It's funny, in a sense, I think you'd be better off if you actually WERE concern trolling. Maybe you weren't; I assume on some level that if you believe the things you say you do about the Republican Party, then it would be of concern to you. Maybe you don't care. But like it or not, they're going to play a substantial role in governing going forward. I care about the general health of the Democratic Party, because I think debate and back in forth is better for public policy.

I dunno, I wouldn't say I'm fleeing. I'm re-evaluating. You're not someone who is easy to debate BJ. I was pretty naive with the front page stuff up until a few days ago, when I delved deeper into these forums. And you're just fucking relentless man. Seeing these forums for the first time was like in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Gestapo dude looks at the spirits and his face melts.You probably have started like 60% of the threads on this page, and they're all in a pretty similar vein. They aren't aimed towards promoting back and forth and debate. And I don't think you can honestly tell me they are. Making a thread that you can update seventeen times a day with "LOL, LOOK AT DIS WIGNUT!!1111" doesn't really seem like something that's going to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

I think you probably want a real debate on some level, but you have nasty habit of acting like the Nurse Ratchet of these threads. You can't just say "this goes and this doesn't". I mean you can say it, but you kind of act like you expect it to be authoritative. So maybe condense your GOP hating into one thread?

Let me put it to you this way, and if you respond to nothing else, please just respond to his. How would you respond if we flipped spots? Say you're me, and I'm you, and you walk into these forums and see the sheer volume of hostility towards your viewpoints. Not disagreeing with them in deep, reasoned, policy critiques, but the worst kind of nasty internet vitriol. Do you think you would then want to have serious discussions with me? I'm actually asking. Believe it or not, I have no interest in this being acrimonious. And to be honest, I get along with all sorts of people here, many of whom I disagree with. So I don't think you can pin it on my narrow mindedness.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
... please just respond to his. How would you respond if we flipped spots?
I'd probably look for the most obnoxious, immature, spiteful, bitter, insecure commenter I could find and ally myself with him.

Oh, no, wait. That's what you'd do. And did. Learning anything yet?

As to the rest of your quivering-chin post, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you're asking for a copy of Learn How to Behave Like An Adult in 28 Days! and I don't have one to offer. I suspect there may be no royal road. You'll just have to figure it out for yourself, and steel yourself to the reality that it will take some time and effort, and it won't be without its occasional setbacks.

Meantime, I'd say that an extra dram or two of effort put toward resisting the temptation to whine on an hourly basis about how I am So Mean and making this site not your happy place would probably help you on your journey. We do see, every so often, people who sign up to post on this site, who appear to have done so solely to complain about me, or me and the other regularly posting liberals, and you know what? They eventually slink away, having gotten no satisfaction. Every single time.

If you don't like what I post, don't read it. Use the Ignore List feature if you lack willpower.* But unless you truly have nothing better to do with your life, don't waste any more time trying to get me to change what or how often I choose to post. Your mewling means nothing to me.

==========

* [Added] Third possibility: do what I do when I see your furry friend has added to several of his pet Life, the Universe and Everything threads, like "Poser" and whatnot, since the last time I visited this site. Just go to that forum's index page (here), click "Forum Tools" and in the drop-down menu, click "Mark This Forum Read."
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-19-2010 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
I'd probably look for the most obnoxious, immature, spiteful, bitter, insecure commenter I could find and ally myself with him.

Oh, no, wait. That's what you'd do. And did. Learning anything yet?

As to the rest of your quivering-chin post, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like you're asking for a copy of Learn How to Behave Like An Adult in 28 Days! and I don't have one to offer. I suspect there may be no royal road. You'll just have to figure it out for yourself, and steel yourself to the reality that it will take some time and effort, and it won't be without its occasional setbacks.

Meantime, I'd say that an extra dram or two of effort put toward resisting the temptation to whine on an hourly basis about how I am So Mean and making this site not your happy place would probably help you on your journey. We do see, every so often, people who sign up to post on this site, who appear to have done so solely to complain about me, or me and the other regularly posting liberals, and you know what? They eventually slink away, having gotten no satisfaction. Every single time.

If you don't like what I post, don't read it. Use the Ignore List feature if you lack willpower. But unless you truly have nothing better to do with your life, don't waste any more time trying to get me to change what or how often I choose to post. Your mewling means nothing to me.
I'm not sure who you're referring to in the first sentence, but I'm guessing it's Whatfur? How in the world have I allied myself with him? Seriously, go back and read my posts, I literally haven't even MENTIONED him in a post, let alone defend him in anyway. So get that straight, for whatever it's worth.

I realize I'm not going to change how you do things around here now. And you're right, it was foolish to try. But I don't think instigating some self reflection on your part was out of line. You asked me to self reflect over something I wrote on these boards only a few days ago, why can't I request the same?

It's not so much that I'm looking for a manuscript on how to behave like an adult (and before I forget, honestly, we can do better in terms of insults than quivering chin, right? This isn't 19th century Britain, is it?) but how to behave like an adult amongst many people who don't. Stop lumping yourself in with the other liberals, saying that people complain about them, and you! No BJ, it's you. I talk to Jeff. I talk to others. We can disagree and debate without it becoming overly toxic. This is what I was talking about with self reflection.

I obviously can't dictate how you post here. But I think one of my questions still remains on the table. Do you think the way you conduct yourself here really is the best way to promote frank and productive dialogue? You may not care, and that's fine. But I would have thought you were someone who would have aimed for goals like that. Maybe I'm wrong. Think about this though, as a parting shot. And once again, there's a good chance I'm wrong here, as I haven't been around here nearly as long as you have. Has there ever been a conservative commenter who spent significant time here that you have real and honest dialogues with for extended periods of time?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: A quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Seriously, go back and read my posts, ...
Request denied. Once was bad enough.

Quote:
Do you think the way you conduct yourself here really is the best way to promote frank and productive dialogue?
Yes.

With those who have shown some indication that they are up to participating, I mean.

As for people lost in their petty grievances, like you and your furry friend: to the extent that you're not just outright ignored, the only thing to do here is mock. And you know what? That in and of itself helps promote FaPD, too, because far more often than not ('fur is an exception), the mockery sends the mocked back to the echo chambers and cocoons they're really seeking. And then the rest of us can have good discussions without having to stop every five minutes to wipe the noses of people such as yourself.

In short, the notion of productive dialog with someone acting like you've been acting for the past week is ludicrous. If you want that to change, find something, you know, productive to talk about. Because biting at my ankles ain't it, by anyone's definition.
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-19-2010 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post

"Running for Senate is hard!"
Of course you were dying for some fresh news from our beloved favorite Nevada Republican! Let us ask her some questions!

Quote:
The wily Angle once again proved her nimble ability to avoid this terrible media-beast by a clever stratagem: calling a press conference, then not actually talking to the press or otherwise having a conference with it.

Quote:
Held at a Reno-area business, the event was promoted on the Angle campaign website as a “press conference” in which Angle was to publicly sign a “death tax repeal pledge.”

But after delivering a short speech, Angle turned away and left the event without allowing reporters to ask questions.
(Try this instead of the quoted link, I think.)

If she can't stand up to the "lamestream media," how will she stand up to Ahmadinejad, al Qaeda, or ObamaStalinCastroLeninHitler?

==========

[Added] Previous Dangle of the Angle coverage starting here. (Using threaded mode will help.)
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-22-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post

"Running for Senate is hard!"
[...]
This 26-second clip of Angle expressing her attitude toward the press must be seen to be believed.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 AM
listener listener is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Amurka
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
This 26-second clip of Angle expressing her attitude toward the press must be seen to be believed.
As much as I would like to see Ms. Angle stamped out before she multiplies, this clip seemed to me to be rather obviously and clumsily edited. And I must say, what's fair to Shirley Sherrod should be fair to Sharron Angle as well (and not just because of the coincidence of the double "R's). Angle is enough of a walking debunking of herself to require such editing.

[Added] On repeated viewing, it seems that it may be that the audio is unedited, while the quick cutting of the video gives the impression of arbitrary editing. If so, I retract the above objections.
__________________
"Nothing is always absolutely so." -- Theodore Sturgeon
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
As much as I would like to see Ms. Angle stamped out before she multiplies, this clip seemed to me to be rather obviously and clumsily edited. And I must say, what's fair to Shirley Sherrod should be fair to Sharron Angle as well (and not just because of the coincidence of the double "R's). Angle is enough of a walking debunking of herself to require such editing.

[Added] On repeated viewing, it seems that it may be that the audio is unedited, while the quick cutting of the video gives the impression of arbitrary editing. If so, I retract the above objections.
Before hurling accusations (not only about the authenticity of the clip, but by implication, about the credibility/gullibility of me and your Wonkette), it probably would have been worth doing a quick Google, don't you think? Then you would have seen NRO raising an eyebrow, not to mention this WaPo post, which also links to a Fox Nation post (trying feebly to spin it as "Sharron Angle too honest in latest interview.").

No official transcripts, but some partial ones. And you'd have seen no one complaining who you'd expect to be complaining if the clip seemed mucked with. And then there is context -- it's not as though she has a recent history at odds with such statements.

Knee-jerk skepticism is still knee-jerk, is my point.

==========

[Added] I probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of this, in light of your added note, but I have to say, that initial outburst ... going right to a Shirley Sherrod comparison? Really? Really?

We got enough problems in this country with the RWNM dreaming up false equivalences. No need for people like you to aggravate the situation.
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-04-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 AM
listener listener is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Amurka
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Before hurling accusations (not only about the authenticity of the clip, but by implication, about the credibility/gullibility of me and your Wonkette), it probably would have been worth doing a quick Google, don't you think? Then you would have seen NRO raising an eyebrow, not to mention this WaPo post, which also links to a Fox Nation post (trying feebly to spin it as "Sharron Angle too honest in latest interview.").

No official transcripts, but some partial ones. And you'd have seen no one complaining who you'd expect to be complaining if the clip seemed mucked with. And then there is context -- it's not as though she has a recent history at odds with such statements.

Knee-jerk skepticism is still knee-jerk, is my point.

==========

[Added] I probably wouldn't have made a big deal out of this, in light of your added note, but I have to say, that initial outburst ... going right to a Shirley Sherrod comparison? Really? Really?

We got enough problems in this country with the RWNM dreaming up false equivalences. No need for people like you to aggravate the situation.
Thanks for the clarifying links. My comment was based on a first impression of what I saw. The choppy and awkward video editing raised a flag for me because it visually reminded me of "chop jobs" I've seen elsewhere. I wasn't intending to cast aspersions on your credibility. It's just that it's important to me to question what seems questionable to me, whether or not I agree with the point of view being put forth. You are correct that I could have done a little research into the matter before I posted my comment. Fortunately, lazy people like me can count on indefatigable researchers like you to come up with the kind of supporting links that you provided.
__________________
"Nothing is always absolutely so." -- Theodore Sturgeon

Last edited by listener; 08-04-2010 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:38 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: The Dangle of the Angle (also continued!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Thanks for the clarifying links. My comment was based on a first impression of what I saw. The choppy and awkward video editing raised a flag for me because it visually reminded me of "chop jobs" I've seen elsewhere. I wasn't intending to cast aspersions on your credibility. It's just that it's important to me to question what seems questionable to me, whether or not I agree with the point of view being put forth. You are correct that I could have done a little research into the matter before I posted my comment. Fortunately, lazy people like me can count on indefatigable researchers like you to come up with the kind of supporting links that you provided.
You're welcome, but at risk of belaboring, I'd like to restate the part I cared about more. I would have had no problem with your saying something like, "Hmmm, that clip looked a little choppy to me. Anyone else think it seemed mashed up?" It was the immediate leap from a moment of suspicion to a conclusion of THIS IS JUST LIKE SHIRLEY SHERROD!!!1! that put me off.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default The Dangle of the Angle: Welcome the Theocracy!


I'm in ur house, eating ur civil rights!

The latest bit of truth slips out:

Quote:
PAC Questionnaire Collects Some More of Sharron Angle’s Fun Beliefs

The AP obtained a PAC questionnaire filled out by Sharron Angle, and surprisingly, it reveals that she has some interesting beliefs! The questionnaire had 36 questions and boxes to mark “yes” or “no,” so thankfully it was easy for Sharron Angle to fill out. The PAC “Government Is Not God” has endorsed her campaign. Government Is Not God sounds like it is against lawmaking based on religion, but they are apparently dumb, because it’s really the opposite; they say they seek “the election to Congress of men and women who hold conservative beliefs on both moral and economic issues.” So “God Should Be Government” would be a better name. Anyway, they have some fun ideas about social policies (especially involving the gays!) and Sharron Angle answered “yes” to every one of their questions.
The rest. See also (via).
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 AM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default The Dangle of the Angle: "However, I've since been studying"


(Above: product of excessive homeschooling?)

Jack Stuef:

Quote:
Sharron Angle was forced to speak words yesterday, as she has yet to come up with the brilliant idea to have her campaign say she has a throat infection that makes her mute for the next few months.
Don't give her any ideas, Jack! Certainly, we must hear all about her plans to shut down the UN! Because?

Quote:
"We are -- I don't see any place in the Constitution with those priorities about the United Nations."
Hurrah for the Constitution! (Matthew Lee weeps.)

But once she's saved all that money (?) by shooting the UN building with her guns, what's next?

KILL SOCIAL SECURITY.

Quote:
"When I said privatize, that's what I meant. That I thought we would just have to go to the private sector for a template on how this is supposed to be done. However, I've since been studying and Chile has done this," said Angle.
But wait! Maybe the Angle campaign reads Wonkette after all?

Quote:
8 News NOW has asked the Angle campaign for time to ask her more questions about her foreign and domestic policy plans. A campaign spokesperson says 8 News NOW will be given the time to ask more questions, but that it could take some weeks to arrange an interview.
Emph. added.
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 08-14-2010 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default From the never-ending saga of the Party of Fiscal Responsibility™

Quote:
RNC fails to report $7M in debt to FEC
Party treasurer faults Steele

The Republican National Committee failed to report more than $7 million in debt to the Federal Election Commission in recent months - a move that made its bottom line appear healthier than it is heading into the midterm elections and that also raises the prospect of a hefty fine.

In a memo to RNC budget committee members, RNC Treasurer Randy Pullen on Tuesday accused Chairman Michael S. Steele and his chief of staff, Michael Leavitt, of trying to conceal the information from him by ordering staff not to communicate with the treasurer - a charge RNC officials deny.

Mr. Pullen told the members that he had discovered $3.3 million in debt from April and $3.8 million from May, which he said had led him to file erroneous reports with the FEC. He amended the FEC filings Tuesday.

Campaign-finance analysts said that simply misreporting fundraising numbers to the FEC can lead to millions of dollars in fines and that criminal charges can be levied if the actions are suspected to be intentional.
The rest. Via.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: From the never-ending saga of the Party of Fiscal Responsibility™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
The rest. Via.
Shockingly enough, the mainstream story is a woeful oversimplication...there's actually very little there there in this case.
__________________
She said the theme of this party's the Industrial Age, and you came in dressed like a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: From the never-ending saga of the Party of Fiscal Responsibility™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Shockingly enough, the mainstream story is a woeful oversimplication...there's actually very little there there in this case.
He asserted emptily.

I expect that you would be hopping up and down like a butthurt bunny if a story came out about the DNC having to face these accusations, which they felt were serious enough to require hiring the best lawyers in town, not to mention their own ethics committee recommending additional internal reviews, right after their chairman's own review was completed. Not to mention the treasurer accusing the boss of hiding information and blocking communication -- this is the smell of sweat from someone who's worried his ass is gonna be on the line.

But no! You know what's a big story? Some liberal blogger said something mean about Rush Limbaugh in an email! And then someone else LOLed! So let's talk about that instead! Forever!

Kind of comical for you to refer to the Washington Times as "mainstream," as well. Just how far gone to the right are you?
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-22-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: From the never-ending saga of the Party of Fiscal Responsibility™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
He asserted emptily.

I expect that you would be hopping up and down like a butthurt bunny if a story came out about the DNC having to face these accusations, which they felt were serious enough to require hiring the best lawyers in town, not to mention their own ethics committee recommending additional internal reviews, right after their chairman's own review was completed. Not to mention the treasurer accusing the boss of hiding information and blocking communication -- this is the smell of sweat from someone who's worried his ass is gonna be on the line.

But no! You know what's a big story? Some liberal blogger said something mean about Rush Limbaugh in an email! And then someone else LOLed! So let's talk about that instead! Forever!

Kind of comical for you to refer to the Washington Times as "mainstream," as well. Just how far gone to the right are you?
I wasn't specifically referring to the Washington Times as mainstream; nearly the exact same story ran in every news outlet that carried the thing. That's what I was referring to. How far right am I? I don't know, but by all accounts, you're probably considerably further to the left than I am to the right, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, maybe consider that I have inside infomration on this that you don't, and maybe I don't it's a good idea to discuss the gory details on a public forum? You may not believe me, but you should at least realize why I didn't fully flesh out the story.
__________________
She said the theme of this party's the Industrial Age, and you came in dressed like a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: From the never-ending saga of the Party of Fiscal Responsibility™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
I wasn't specifically referring to the Washington Times as mainstream; nearly the exact same story ran in every news outlet that carried the thing.
You could, and should, have said that before. You can't just respond to a post that links to two sources and assume everyone will figure you weren't talking about either of them.

Quote:
The point is, maybe consider that I have inside infomration on this that you don't, and maybe I don't it's a good idea to discuss the gory details on a public forum? You may not believe me, but you should at least realize why I didn't fully flesh out the story.
Not teh dreaded inside infom-ration!

Release the Whitey Tapes, Larry!

(?)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Two-fer Tuesday, Special Friday Edition!

1: SECESSION!!!1!



Quote:
Rep. Zach Wamp (R-TN), who is running in a heated three-way Republican primary for governor of Tennessee, has a dire warning about the new health care reform law: If a new Congress and president aren't elected in order to repeal the bill, states might just have to secede.

[...]

Wamp also praised Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) -- who has also floated the idea of secession -- for leading the fight against the health care bill. "Patriots like Rick Perry have talked about these issues because the federal government is putting us in an untenable position at the state level," said Wamp.
2. IMPEACHMENT!!!1!



Quote:
[Tom] Tancredo has an op-ed in the Washington Times calling President Obama "a more serious threat to America than al Qaeda" and suggesting that he ought to be impeached.

[...]

The ex-congressman said Obama "wants to destroy the constitution" and is more dangerous than al Qaeda because he represents an internal threat.

"He is a committed idealogue, and when you have somebody like that in the White House, it is to me a scary proposition, and I think that we can muster our defenses much more easily to take care of al Qaeda than we can to take care of the president."
In related news:

1. Two other Republicans will probably be labeled RINOs.

2. Megyn "Fox" Kelly is virtually certain to be declared a full-fledged member of the Biased Liberal InTheTankForObaMedia.

==========

(pic sources: Wamp | Tancredo)
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: missing link. Later: typo (h/t: Twin)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Two-fer Tuesday, Special Friday Edition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Quick follow-up: Here is the artwork the Washington Times ("mainstream media," according to at least one commenter on this site) chose to decorate Tancredo's op-ed calling for impeachment of the president:



Hey, 'fur, can I get a "stay classy?"
__________________
Brendan

Last edited by bjkeefe; 07-23-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Compared to Karl Rove, Astroturf is authentic

Newell:

Quote:
How did American Crossroads, Karl Rove's "grassroots" fundraising operation, suddenly leap from $200 in monthly donations to a total of $4.7 million? Apparently 97% comes from four billionaires.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Has Chairman Steele checked into the Bates Motel?


(Above: What a difference a haircut makes.)

Norman. Norman.

Don't get stabbed in the back, Mike! Least of all by a guy who is the only person in the world with more fiscal responsibamility problems than yours!

==========

(pic source for the more likable Norm)
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: Has Chairman Steele checked into the Bates Motel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post

(Above: What a difference a haircut makes.)

Norman. Norman.

Don't get stabbed in the back, Mike! Least of all by a guy who is the only person in the world with more fiscal responsibamility problems than yours!

==========

(pic source for the more likable Norm)
God that link about Steele was painfully moronic. If you're going to criticize Steele about all the (mostly legitimate) problems associated with his tenure as Chairman, maybe don't insinuate that the reason conservatives have a problem with him is race in every other sentence. It basically answered it's own hypothetical question that no one asked.
__________________
She said the theme of this party's the Industrial Age, and you came in dressed like a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Has Chairman Steele checked into the Bates Motel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
God that link about Steele was painfully moronic.
I'm sure everyone else also lacking a sense of humor would agree.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 PM
chiwhisoxx chiwhisoxx is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,490
Default Re: Has Chairman Steele checked into the Bates Motel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
I'm sure everyone else also lacking a sense of humor would agree.
Sarcasm doesn't translate very well to text, and it hardly be unprecedented for a left wing blog to hurl scurrilous accusations of racism at conservatives.
__________________
She said the theme of this party's the Industrial Age, and you came in dressed like a train wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
bjkeefe bjkeefe is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Not Real America, according to St. Sa®ah
Posts: 21,798
Default Re: Has Chairman Steele checked into the Bates Motel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Sarcasm doesn't translate very well to text, ...
That is sometimes true, but if you can't figure it out when reading TBogg, you're really humor-challenged.

Quote:
... and it hardly be unprecedented for a left wing blog to hurl scurrilous accusations of racism at conservatives.
Scurrilous does not mean well-justified. Just so you know.
__________________
Brendan
Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.