Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Politics of Cool (Bill Scher & Matt K. Lewis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Newt certainly looks smart when he's up on the stage with Rick Perry, Santorum and Cain. His problem is not IQ; it's his sleazy character, extensive rap sheet and extremely obnoxious personality. I am thrilled that he's making a move. This is the best thing that happened for liberals since Perry surged. Obama will wipe the floor with Newt. I worry about Romney, but Newt is a gift from god.
I would also add "Newt Already Magnanimous in Victory"

If you don't understand why this is both extremely funny and apt, then it casts doubt on whatever opinions you hold on the subject of Newt.

Now this other Newt is another story
Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouartgob View Post
I would also add "Newt Already Magnanimous in Victory"

If you don't understand why this is both extremely funny and apt, then it casts doubt on whatever opinions you hold on the subject of Newt.

Now this other Newt is another story
Good links. Here are some more newt-related posts that might explain why I still refuse to believe that he could possibly be the nominee:

Newt and Freddie Mac, before and after

Newt's blowhardiness, quantified
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
Mr "57 States" should tackle arithmetic before he goes on to the (for him) heavy stuff.
I've lost count of the number of times you've employed this example to score a point, but since it evidently plays a significant role regarding how you think of Obama generally, I'm curious:
Do you believe that Obama believed, at any point, that there are 57 states? Or do think he merely said the wrong word?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Default What?

Mr. Lewis says that Adam Carolla is against all forms of complaining and uppitiness. He also says he listens to Carolla's show regularly. Odd. Adam Carolla spends a large amount of his time complaining about people and things. His moderated Man Show persona schtick (combined with many moments of true inspiration) kinda covers up the fact that he's a pretty common reactionary in these areas we're talking about. He's just a en entertainer, others deploy it much worse, but he's still one example of the form who's entertaining to examine.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
Good links. Here are some more newt-related posts that might explain why I still refuse to believe that he could possibly be the nominee:

But if the right is as confused and unprincipled as you seem to think, why would any of that matter?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Newt is a favorite for a core GOP constituency: angry white men. There are lots of older angry white men that have been through divorces, maybe multiple divorces, and these people are likely to be forgiving of Gingrich's peccadillos. It certainly is a significant item of historical interest that many angry white men were supporting Herman Cain, and have now moved to support, at least for the moment, the Gingrich boomlet.

It may be possible to win the Republican nomination with a core constituency of angry white men. I have my doubts about whether such a candidate can win the general election, given the demographics of the electorate in 2012.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsMakeTools View Post
It may be possible to win the Republican nomination with a core constituency of angry white men. I have my doubts about whether such a candidate can win the general election, given the demographics of the electorate in 2012.
They've got the angry white women vote locked as well:
See badhat.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
They've got the angry white women vote locked as well:
See badhat.
and that's a helluva lot of people.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
But if the right is as confused and unprincipled as you seem to think, why would any of that matter?
I give you guys some credit, at least on the tactical side. The collective GOP establishment is smart enough not to run with someone like Michelle Bachmann or Herman Cain, so I figure they won't be dumb enough to run with Gingrich. Also, the case against Gingrich's conservative credentials isn't very hard to make, given the levels of purity demanded that the GOP primary electorate has demanded over the last couple of years.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I give you guys some credit, at least on the tactical side. The collective GOP establishment is smart enough not to run with someone like Michelle Bachmann or Herman Cain, so I figure they won't be dumb enough to run with Gingrich. Also, the case against Gingrich's conservative credentials isn't very hard to make, given the levels of purity demanded that the GOP primary electorate has demanded over the last couple of years.
Nobody has perfect credentials. They are simply standards to keep the little bastards in line. I think this time they're actually taking them seriously and that's what counts.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Thanks to Bill and Matt for continuing on. I suddenly found after what seems like an eternity that I'm actually interested in who wins the Republican nomination. I heard today Cain dropped out, and went back to liking him again, assuming all those charges against him were false, at least the actual harassment ones. I think people were wrong to say he was stupid. He was just plain spoken and when he didn't know something he said so, not a politician. I hope his marriage survives all the attacks.

Anyway, my favourites would be either Paul, who would be really interesting, or Huntsman, who seems normal, but, apparently they have no chance. Romney probably wouldn't be too bad, but if I had a vote I would stick with Obama, much as he has disappointed me.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1976 View Post
Thanks to Bill and Matt for continuing on. I suddenly found after what seems like an eternity that I'm actually interested in who wins the Republican nomination..., but if I had a vote I would stick with Obama, much as he has disappointed me.
Obama has disappointed me, too but I suspect for different reasons than you have.

Gloria Cain is a lovely person. I hope she isn't also a fool.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Re: What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
Mr. Lewis says that Adam Carolla is against all forms of complaining and uppitiness. He also says he listens to Carolla's show regularly. Odd. Adam Carolla spends a large amount of his time complaining about people and things. His moderated Man Show persona schtick (combined with many moments of true inspiration) kinda covers up the fact that he's a pretty common reactionary in these areas we're talking about. He's just a en entertainer, others deploy it much worse, but he's still one example of the form who's entertaining to examine.
I thought he was gross and disgusting. I was surprised Matt would even mention such a creature, but I forgive him, as always.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Obama has disappointed me, too but I suspect for different reasons than you have.

Gloria Cain is a lovely person. I hope she isn't also a fool.
Do you think she should leave him, Badhat?

I don't know anything about her, but I admire her for not going before the vicious press.

Last edited by Diane1976; 12-03-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for badhat, but whether she should leave him would seem to depend, in part, on whether and which of the charges are true, something that none of us knows, although Mrs. Cain is likely to have a good idea.

It's possible, but unlikely that all of the charges are false.

I never much liked him either way.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
Can't speak for badhat, but whether she should leave him would seem to depend, in part, on whether and which of the charges are true, something that none of us knows, although Mrs. Cain is likely to have a good idea.

It's possible, but unlikely that all of the charges are false.

I never much liked him either way.
I didn't like his politics, but he seemed honest, which seems rare in politicians. I wish when those charges came up he had been more straighforward and honest about it.

I'm suspicious about harassment charges, actually. I know sometimes it's real because I've seen cases like that, where there is a real case, but it isn't always. Sometimes it's self interested, financially, or politically motivated, etc. I think we have to be more careful about declaring people guilty until there is proof. That's always a good principle to follow.

Last edited by Diane1976; 12-03-2011 at 11:53 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I didn't like his politics, but he seemed honest, which seems rare in politicians. I wish when those charges came up he had been more straighforward and honest about it.

I'm suspicious about harassment charges, actually. I know sometimes it's real because I've seen cases like that, where there is a real case, but it isn't always. Sometimes it's self interested, financially, or politically motivated, etc. I think we have to be more careful about declaring people guilty until there is proof. That's always a good principle to follow.

He seemed incredibly enamored of himself which isn't that rare. I understand that phony harrasment charges happen, but IME it's rare for so many directed at one person to ALL be false.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I heard today Cain dropped out, and went back to liking him again...
Really!?

Did you like him despite his saying:

(1) He wouldn't hire Muslims, or allow Muslims to be appointed as judges?

(2) Islam is fundamentally incompatible with the First Amendment's requirement for the separation of church and state (because Islam combines elements both of religion and state), and therefore the construction of mosques in the United States should be banned?

(3) He was uncomfortable having a Muslim doctor and complained to the hospital until they assured him the doctor with the funny name was actually a Christian?

Can you imagine if he had said he wouldn't trust a black doctor's hands on his body? Or wouldn't hire black people or let them serve as judges? There would be an enormous backlash.

But saying these same things about Muslims is enough to earn you front-runner status in the Republican Party.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceelf View Post
He seemed incredibly enamored of himself which isn't that rare. I understand that phony harrasment charges happen, but IME it's rare for so many directed at one person to ALL be false.
And even rarer when there's a history of sizable monetary judgments associated with the charges.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I don't know anything about her, but I admire her for not going before the vicious press.
Nice distinction you draw between "the press" and "the vicious press." Mrs. Cain did go before Fox News, but Fox News, as the GOP's house organ, is not vicious to Republicans, and in fact tried to help Mrs. Cain and her husband overcome the doubts raised about his fitness for office.

I do love the conservative Bizarro World (you know, where everything is opposite), the place in which serial harassment, infidelity, and assault allegations against Cain mean that Cain is the victim.

The world where Israel bombing Iran shows that Iran is the aggressor while Israel is the target and victim merely defending itself.

The world where liberals are the intolerant ones because they oppose racism; if liberals were really tolerant, they would tolerate bigotry.

Etc.

Last edited by TwinSwords; 12-04-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
And even rarer when there's a history of sizable monetary judgments associated with the charges.
But he seems so nice, you know? He's such a down to earth guy. And isn't that what really counts?

Considering Republicans tried to overthrow the elected government of the United States by deposing Bill Clinton in a politically motivated coup in 1998, it seems at least reasonable to ask questions about Cain's massive cash settlements with victims of his unwanted advances, or about the woman who claims he was paying her for sex for 13 years while he was married.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Default Depressingly & unsurprisingly

Depressingly & unsurprisingly; This site seems to be getting worse and worse as we approach a election year. Perhaps my hiatus should be extended.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
I've lost count of the number of times you've employed this example to score a point, but since it evidently plays a significant role regarding how you think of Obama generally, I'm curious:
Do you believe that Obama believed, at any point, that there are 57 states? Or do think he merely said the wrong word?
I believe that Obama seriously believed the American army liberated Auschwitz. I doubt he had an interest in military history.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
If you were in charge who would be running?
Mitch Daniels, John Thune, Haley Barbour? Tom Coburn, Jeb Bush? Heck, we can't find a retired general or colonel to dust off? We have a million of those guys.

Quote:
translation please
I think we're reenacting the Democratic primary of 2004, even with the state of origin of the likely nominee. I just think Obama isn't as skilled a politician as Bush, in a much worse time, and will lose to our boring suit.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Considering Republicans tried to overthrow the elected government of the United States
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

It would be so nice if once, just once, it turned out that the charges were baseless.

If the charges are true I doubt that she was unaware of what was happening. She seems to be quite intelligent.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
Nice distinction you draw between "the press" and "the vicious press." Mrs. Cain did go before Fox News, but Fox News, as the GOP's house organ, is not vicious to Republicans, and in fact tried to help Mrs. Cain and her husband overcome the doubts raised about his fitness for office.
Yeah, if Gloria had any balls at all she would have gone on the Bill Maher or Keith Olbermann. What a whimp!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla the Dictator View Post
Mitch Daniels, John Thune, Haley Barbour? Tom Coburn, Jeb Bush? Heck, we can't find a retired general or colonel to dust off? We have a million of those guys.
What I find peculiar is that in a time when the president of the other party is so vulnerable, the Republicans haven't been able to muster more formidable opposition. It makes me wonder if this is the people you mention waiting till the next time. But that could be 16 years down the line. It really is puzzling but that is the crazy character of American politics.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if Gloria had any balls at all she would have gone on the Bill Maher or Keith Olbermann. What a whimp!
If my husband had been exposed as a serial sexual predator and I had been publicly humiliated after the exposure of his 13 year affair, I wouldn't go in front of any media except the GOP house organ either!

Last edited by TwinSwords; 12-04-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Default How DARE Bill Scher mock conservative affinity for Victoria Jackson !!!

She is a beacon of sense and intellect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9S5E...eature=related
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:

OMFG I just thought of something when I read this title.

Trump suggests his endorsement will be key

From the piece:
Quote:
Trump also calls himself ratings gold, evaluates the GOP hopefuls and suggests his own endorsement is the one worth waiting for.
Now if he endorses Newt and these 2 self-proclaimed Übermensch share the stage and each others self regard for each others self magnificence ... I don't think the earth's crust let alone the stage can stand up to that kind of a pontificating positive feedback.

Their smug luminescence will blind all, like Day of the Triffids
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouartgob View Post

Now if he endorses Newt and these 2 self-proclaimed Übermensch share the stage and each others self regard for each others self magnificence ... I don't think the earth's crust let alone the stage can stand up to that kind of a pontificating positive feedback.

Their smug luminescence will blind all, like Day of the Triffids
Yikes! Some kind of twisted, rotten, hellish rapture!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
and that's a helluva lot of people.
Yeah. There are probably about 15,000,000 of you. Maybe 20,000,000.

30,000,000 - 40,000,000 if you include the menu. That's the approximate size of the Fox News/Limbaugh/Hatemonger/Zealot/Wingnut/Lunatic GOP base.