Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Character evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post
That's a separate issue. Any so called discrimination will not keep high achieving students out of college, or forced into servitude as custodial engineers.
Right. I think AA is misrepresented, but I'm also generally in favor of switching to a class (and other hardship) based system, without the negatives involved with any consideration of race.

However, that's a separate issue, as you say. None of "the best students" are prevented from attending good schools due to AA. No good students, even.

(I also think the notion that we can objectively identify who deserves to be admitted by comparing test scores requires that one either be or pretend ignorance as to how college admissions actually works at the best schools. I'm sure students with lower test scores and grades got into schools I didn't, and I'm sure students with higher test scores and grades got rejected from the schools I attended. At a certain level there are way more students with high scores and grades than you can admit and you don't want a group of people with basically the same qualities being brought to the table. You want smart and interested people with a variety of skills and backgrounds, and it's nuts to think that we can tell the best private schools that they'd be better if they simply took the top scores/grades and got rid of all subjectivity and past experience in putting together a student body.)

Last edited by stephanie; 04-12-2011 at 11:10 AM..