Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Clash of the Civilized (Robert Wright & Christopher Hitchens)

Exactly...he understands that being anti west is self defeating. I mean I will never understand the left when it comes to these regimes that are anti women, anti gay, anti human rights. Yet Hitchens communicates the ideals of the left without the anti military aspects that seem to infect most of the left. I remember prior to 911 the talk on the left about the hideous anti female Taliban and the left were the ones who were exposing this human rights nightmare...I agreed with them then. However, what makes me look at the left with a slightly jaundiced eye, is that they are good at identifying a problem in teh world community, but simply are not comfortable with solutions that involve military force. It is a hangover from baby boomer leftists during the Vietnam period. It is like Robert Wright saying that using the military was correct in the Balkans (which I agreed with) but then not even having the intellectual curiousity to find out that it was not a UN operation and in fact, it was DOA if the Clinton administration were going to bring it to the UN.
Hitchens point about the US being the only state that actually acts to bring accountabilty to states that are in severe violation of International law was lost on Mr Wright due to his reflexive anti Military, anti US viewpoints. Partisanship trumps common sense, and suppposed rock hard beliefs...