Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Irreducibly Complex Edition (John McWhorter & Michael Behe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
"Behe's entire schtick is to sound "scientific" and complicate the argument for people untrained in the scientific method."
Behe is a scientist, so yes, he uses scientific terms. I'm afraid I don't understand your point.

Quote:
"The basis for his "theory" of irreducible complexity has been clearly falsified, a reputable scientist would have acknowledged that, "
There have been ongoing attempts to do that, none sucessfully. IC is central to ID and is a valid hypothesis, although each example of IC is subject to analysis. Both the flagellum and the clotting system have irreducible components, and have NOT been shown to have evolved naturalistically. I would go further and state that natural selection of mutations to produce novelty is aready in a state of falsification.

Quote:
" ... instead. it's not addressed directly by Behe, and called a "straw-man" argument by supporters (but not actually substantively rebutted.)
Sure it is: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009/08...straw_man.html

Quote:
"The very real consequence of Behe's contribution to the public sphere is the weakening of science curricula in public schools in select states here in the US.He's not only dishonest and wrong, he's responsible for measurable damage to the educational system in the States."
I see it quite differently. If Michael is contributing anything, it is along these lines:

Incoming science students will not be brainwashed and cajoled to the extent done in the past. With the Internet as a source, proffs may have a tough time selling evolutionary theory as currently put forth. New evidences of complexity, synergy of systems, probability quandarys, and the dearth of empirically testable speciation events will not sell it. At least to those capable of *true* rational thought.

There will likely be some disruption within academia, with possible lawsuits by flunked students, as well as tenure denied proffs. But when the smoke clears, and fascist teaching methods are abolished, we may see a new enlightenment period emerging. In a word: Objective science.