Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM
BhTV staff

Default Free Will: The Circus Act

Old 12-28-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Free Will: The Circus Act

Oh, I haven't watched the entire diavlog with Richard Rodriguez but have noticed he is pricking the bubbles of political correctness at a rapid fire rate. There are his views on Obama's race, people callling themselves white, the word gay for homosexuals and these are just in the first 6 minutes or so. How refreshing it is listening to a commentator who isn't bound by our contemporary speech codes.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 12-28-2008 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 PM

I think there is something to Kerry's view of the Catholic Church as being relatively universalist, and Richard's view about the Catholic acceptance of those who have sinned, but there's a simpler explanation, that neither mentions, for the the Church's stance on illegal immigration in the United States: illegal immigrants tend to be Latin American, and so tend to be Catholic.

Many Catholics in the United States are of Latin American ancestry, and their ordinary ethnocentrism will tend to push the Church's position in this direction. As well, it is in the institutional interest of the American dioceses to increase their membership and income by bringing in highly religious illegal immigrants.

Compare the overwhelmingly positive Catholic reaction to illegal Mexican and Latin American immigration to the U.S. to the much more mixed reaction to Muslim immigration in the European Union.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
JoeK

Kerry invited Wonderment to her show?
Just freaking great.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Kudos to Kerry - excellent diavlog with Richard.

At last I heard a description of an evangelical that seemed to encapsulate what they are. I always wondered what being "born again" meant. Now, I know.

Like Richard most people I know don't read at all. My passion is reading. While on the subject David Wroblewski's debut recent novel "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" is superb.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 12-28-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 PM

I like Richard Rodriguez, but if people who are conventionally referred to as "white" are really pink, then by what standard is he "brown?" Most blacks are brown, strictly speaking, but Richard Rodriquez is something between pink and brown. Not that any of this is terribly important, I suppose, but he needs to be more consistent.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 PM

Richard is simply wrong when he says others (our culture, media, etc.) deny him the word "love." Homosexuals love other men, the male ones, the way most men love women: that is what homosexuality is, and the way it is widely understood.

As for the legal institution of marriage, the real issue here is children and the role of the biological family in the nurture of children and the transmission of culture from one generation to the next. Marriage is the cultural institution that establishes the family as a fundamental institution, without which our civilization and its "many blessings of liberty' would likely decay. Maybe not all civilizations are worth preserving, especially those based on servitude and human inequality. But this one is different. Unless you address these fundamental issues you are really missing the point, in my opinion. At least give it a try.

As for the question of whether Richard and his partner of 30 years may describe themselves as "married" or whether others might freely describe them as "married" -- no problem! You two apparently are married. "Let us not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments."

Last edited by BornAgainDemocrat; 12-28-2008 at 10:08 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
Kerry invited Wonderment to her show?
Just freaking great.
Is this true or are you just joking? Seriously?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Gracias, pero no soy yo.

I was teaching Richard's autobiography "Hunger of Memory" (5*****s) 20 years ago, so a smidge of his genius may have rubbed off on me. But just a smidge.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Deactivated User

Send a message via Skype™ to Baltimoron

The fundamental point is, that the definition of marriage you seem to understand too conveniently is historically only one denotation among many. Using procreation as a standard is also convenient. It also leaves out adoption. And, speaking for those like my wife and me who have not been able to conceive either because of fertility issues or medical problems, such a narrow fixation is insulting.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Gracias, pero no soy yo.

I was teaching Richard's autobiography "Hunger of Memory" (5*****s) 20 years ago, so a smidge of his genius may have rubbed off on me. But just a smidge.
Yes, I figured when Richard disclosed his religion. I have admired Richard for years and always looked forward to listening to his poems. Sometimes his words communicated a lot of sadness, but they were always thought provoking and moving.

Wonderment, you have your own genius and we admire you too!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 PM

Great diavlog! Kerry did a great job interviewing and sharing ideas with Richard. I find Richard's ability to navigate difficult and profound topics truly remarkable. A lot to think about... and learn.

Thank you!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Deactivated User

Default Bread and Circuses

Rodriguez complains about literacy and book publishing, yet it seems quaint. Of course, I'm an evil Gen X'er. I like bookstores, except for the twenty discount tables in the front blocking the stacks. Yet, as an expat, the internet - and bhTV - is a godsend, because buying a book costs twice the ticket price in postage and custom fees. I might be able to buy second-hand books from other expats - I'm sure Rodriguez would take umbrage at that, too - but the internet and e-books allow me to pick what I want, like a book plugged on a diavlog. Unfortunately, Rodriguez's book is not available in that format, so I doubt I'll be able to read him. And, I want to read his books now.

I also read yesterday, that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - the name itself speaks volumes about the state of the industry - was refusing manuscript submissions. There's also TNR crowing about the unmasking of Herman Rosenblat's Angel at the Fence. All three point to what I think is the problem: delivering what people want to read in a form they can afford.

I'm glad newspapers are going out of business, because why should a corporation dictate my reading habits? Why can't Rodriguez post his poems online, get paid directly, possibly with feedback, and just cut out his agent? Why should I trust an industry seemingly so prone to publishing lies?

It's a transition period when "writers" like Rodriguez aren't comfortable with self-publishing. But, I think in the long-term, Gen X'ers and Millennials will feel more comfortable about buying directly for precisely what we want, not what the corporations tell us is fashionable. I would be interested in buying a longer treatment of many topics both "writers" discussed on this diavlog. So, Kerry and Richard, write me a book! Others might be content with these arguments. Some might even pay money in the future, or so Bob Wright hopes. When my students complain to me about not getting enough time to practice English, I tell them complaining relieves them of the responsibility to talk on their own -especially when they are complaining in Korean. I would never stop them from talking in English, no matter what - and it's the first rule that spontaneous talk beats the lesson plan every day. Just write, advertise, and Bob Wright will let you plug your book on bhTV. I get that feeling of transcendence almost every day and usually several times just by reading short blogs. Everyone can hit that mark, and it doesn't require an agent.

OTOH, this business model is harsh: I publish everyday and I couldn't make a living. No agent or company exec holds my account on faith, or holds my account as a loss leader. People sometimes tell me EXACTLY how they feel about my opinion, too. No wonder the publishers are broke: they never listened to their customers!

Last edited by Baltimoron; 12-29-2008 at 12:04 AM..
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Deactivated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilitarian View Post
Many Catholics in the United States are of Latin American ancestry, and their ordinary ethnocentrism will tend to push the Church's position in this direction. As well, it is in the institutional interest of the American dioceses to increase their membership and income by bringing in highly religious illegal immigrants.
I think this highlights the illicit connection between organized religion - mostly Christianity - and politics that the Church has fostered since Constantine. The Church, a metaphor for all believers, not a particular business, is concerned with salvation and justice, not with receipts and attendance. These are just very secular ways of calculating how many sinners are being saved -and not very accurate. Paul was not concerned with attendance per se, but with saving as many people as he could reach. And then, through baptism, business organizations cheat, because babies don't require convincing.

But, speaking of traditions, as a Lutheran, I too learned life was suffering, but also that salvation came through obedient faith in a God that more than likely will not reciprocate. That's Christ's job. Most church-goers accept that their attendance will ensure salvation, but, as I was taught, there is no certainty. Therefore, believers can only believe more, and through their actions provide an example for others. But, seriously, right now on earth, there might be one soul who will be saved for the next century. Ultimately, these lessons, along with the damnation of non-believers, led me to reject membership.

But, still I believe in a remote deity whose duty to people is fairly tenuous. I've always preferred the company of the damned to the comforts of the club. Rodriquez makes a rhetorical point about the theology, but these organizations are no different than Wal-Mart. Churches - in the common sense of the word - want customers, and Rodriquez should distinguish them from the priesthood of all believers - another Lutheran concept I use for secular purposes.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 AM

Getting very tired of these pundits putting words into the mouths and ideas into the heads of various evangelical Christian leaders. Last week we had Sara Robinson of the New America Foundation calling Rick Warren a "denier of global warming," despite his signing a "call to action" on global warming published by the National Association of Evangelicals.

Now we get Mr. Rodriguez calling Rick Warren a "son of Jerry Falwell" and accusing him of nothing more than naked ambition--despite the work his church is doing to help aids victims in Africa and giving away nine tenths of his income to charity.

You don't like his position on gays and gay marriage? Fine, please make your case against him on the merits, not on silly ad hominem name-calling.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 AM

Just once, it would be refreshing to hear a libertarian-minded dot-com billionaire fret over the cultural costs of the rise of the Internet, or, conversely, a crusty old man of letters with ties to religious orthodoxy embrace Ray Kurzweil's "trans-humanist" flights of fancy.

In the last five minutes or so of this diavlog, I mostly heard a subtext of FEAR coming from a man who is finding himself in a world (and an emerging future world) in which he can't even wrap his head around the basic facts of the new reality, let alone the possible wondrous virtues.

This sort of deranged nostalgia seems to come up on bloggingheads a lot, actually, whether it's somebody lamenting that we don't "all" get our news from one CBS anchorman anymore, or fretting over the fact that the business model of the traditional "local" newspaper (which has been dead and replaced with a service of re-printing AP wire stories for decades now) no longer seems sustainable.

The reason so many of our traditional organs of information management are going away is because they are no longer the best means of providing that which we most valued them for in the first place. The fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to make a living as a full-time movie critic in a local paper is bad news... for movie critics. The rest of us are finding we can get along just fine without a daily delivery of fish-wrap with our city's name on the top banner.

Academia will go on, but selling $60 text-books to poor college kids is something that will, and should, go away. In this day and age, it makes about as much sense as carving information into clay tablets.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM

After reading RRs piece to Obama, it's amazing that someone so smart can be just as stuck in the racial identity whirlpool as any typical La Raza idiot.

My advice to Obama is please DO NOT speak to me as a 'brown person'. I do not care what color you are and I certainly hope that you never consider my color (I am mixed-race like both Obama and Rodriguez). Jump ahead of these loons who are clamoring for recognition of racial identity politics and just be American.

It's not that Americans are more sad as per RR, it's that we are so wealthy that our drug habits which are replicated in many other countries have a greater impact on the drug-supply countries because of money and volume. Then again, to say this problem is purely American is to be clueless.

Mexico struggles with soaring drug addiction rate

“We have the impression that drug dealers have beards, cowboy boots and sombreros. But no, they are housewives, old people, ordinary people,” Rubido said in an interview in his Mexico City office. “They don’t believe they are doing anything wrong and are just looking to make an extra $600 a month. That is why Mexico has such a pervasive drug culture.”

For many years, drugs were socially unacceptable in this conservative, Roman Catholic country where many people live with their families until they marry. But the social stigma of drug use has faded, particularly for men, as more and more drug transporters are paid in drugs instead of cash."

I don't know one person who has told me that they can't get out of bed without drugs, go to work without drugs, make love without drugs etc, maybe Mr R is hanging out in the wrong community.

I will ignore RR's idiotic generalizations that Mexicans work with more gusto than others because after growing up and working in S California and (later) all over the west, I've worked with people of many races and nationalities and (lo and behold) I've found good and bad, energetic and lazy, honest and criminal examples in every group. I would be very interested to hear a follow-up from RR describing which groups work with less gusto.

Last edited by harkin; 12-29-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Simply fantastic discussion.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
[...]
Hear, hear.

Good post, harkin.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 PM

She's so dreamy.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM

Anyone see the movie "The Good Shephard?" My memory is a little foggy but there was a scene that had Matt Damon a CIA agent speaking with an Italian American man. The man said to Matt "the blacks have their music, we have our pasta, but what do you have?" I think the answer was that this straight, white guy had "the agency" or "the country." The rub being that white people have no culture like these young students say to Richard Rodriguez.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
After reading RRs piece to Obama, it's amazing that someone so smart can be just as stuck in the racial identity whirlpool as any typical La Raza idiot.
First of all people in La Raza are not idiots. Second, I think you grossly misinterpreted the essay on Obama. What RR means by "brown' is INclusive, not EXclusive.

He's saying that all people have mixes of cultures and that the American fixation of seeing things in black and white terms is a debilitating distortion of reality.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 PM
JoeK

Cool My boyfriend is an Economist of Happiness

Boy, oh boy!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Among the questions I wish Kerry had asked RR is what makes the label "brown" less of a fiction than "white" or "black". I also would've like him to elaborate on his description of Obama's surrogate fathers as "false fathers".
Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't think he wants to label anyone as "brown", but is simply using it to "break down this white/black dialectic in America" as he puts it.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsharp View Post
I don't think he wants to label anyone as "brown", but is simply using it to "break down this white/black dialectic in America" as he puts it.
Well how would you explain his advice to Obama that he should speak to Hispanics as a "brown" man? Why would it be less of fiction to present himself as a brown man than a black man?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Run, Mickey, Run!

A Mexican on Bloggingheads?? Apparently taking a low-wage ($0) job away from low-skilled American workers (Mickey.) The Reconquista is ON!

I haven't had a chance to dig into this one yet but I look forward to it. Judging by the comments it looks like a keeper ;-)
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Run, Mickey, Run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post
A Mexican on Bloggingheads?? Apparently taking a low-wage ($0) job away from low-skilled American workers (Mickey.) The Reconquista is ON!
LOL!

Funniest comment ever.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Because he is not just 'black', he is complicated. To deny that he has 'white' ancestors is to buy into the idea 'blackness' taints.

I think, after reading RR's essay on Mr. Obama, that 'brown' just stands in for complicated.

I am complicated even though you might call me 'white'. You see this even in school playgrounds in all 'white' neighborhoods; school children ask, "what are you?" and the answer comes back ".15 irish/.50 german/.25 english/ .1 indian". Even if it doesn't add up, it is more accurate than just "white".
Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits-n-gravy View Post
Well how would you explain his advice to Obama that he should speak to Hispanics as a "brown" man? Why would it be less of fiction to present himself as a brown man than a black man?
He's using the term brown as analogous to "mixed." He want's Obama to speak to hispanics as people who have a mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry, just as he has a mixed Kenyan and Kansan ancestry.

As to your original comment on RR's description of Rev Wright being, in some ways, Obama's false father, I interpret it as reverend wright being a "false" father figure in as much as he has no real connection to Obama's cultural heritage.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsharp View Post
He's using the term brown as analogous to "mixed." He want's Obama to speak to hispanics as people who have a mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry, just as he has a mixed Kenyan and Kansan ancestry.
He could speak to Mexicans that way and still remain "black". One of the ironies of the "one drop rule" is that it cultivated the kind of inclusiveness of varying phenotypes within the black community that RR says the term "brown" fosters.

What I'm getting at is RR is being a little disingenuous when he says "brown" refers to mixture not color but then turns around and portrays a lightskinned person who self-identifies as black as only having in mind the color black, literally. Consequently I didn't find his remarks on this topic credible.

Quote:
As to your original comment on RR's description of Rev Wright being, in some ways, Obama's false father, I interpret it as reverend wright being a "false" father figure in as much as he has no real connection to Obama's cultural heritage.
This is what I hoped he'd elaborate on. There are biological fathers, and then there are cultural or spiritual fathers. If he was speaking primarily in biological terms then the description "false" is accurate, but unremarkable and perhaps misleading. On the other hand, I don't think it is correct to call Rev. Wright a "false" father figure in a cultural or spiritual sense. I wouldn't be surprise to learn that it was Rev. Wright who encouraged Obama to come to grips with his African ancestry.

Last edited by grits-n-gravy; 12-29-2008 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ebeneezer View Post

I haven't had a chance to dig into this one yet but I look forward to it. Judging by the comments it looks like a keeper ;-)
I agree with TS. Your comment is hilarious!

And I also would like to see Richard back at BhTV.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
And I also would like to see Richard back at BhTV.
I'm glad you said that. I haven't actually watched the whole thing yet, and wanted to wait until I had before I expressed my wish that he would return. But I think it's clear from the other comments that a lot of us would be happy to have him back. We don't get NEARLY enough of his kind of perspective. (Or, at least I don't.)
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSwords View Post
I'm glad you said that. I haven't actually watched the whole thing yet, and wanted to wait until I had before I expressed my wish that he would return. But I think it's clear from the other comments that a lot of us would be happy to have him back. We don't get NEARLY enough of his kind of perspective. (Or, at least I don't.)
Yes, he presents a deeper perspective about various issues. And he counterbalances our materialistic selves. You may agree or disagree with him but he always makes you think a little harder. Hey, I really like the guy!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 PM

I also really liked the way he asked Kerry serious questions about her life. I've never seen that kind of interchange on Bheads before.

I think it's old school literary sensibilities. We could use a few more artists and writers around here.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
I also really liked the way he asked Kerry serious questions about her life. I've never seen that kind of interchange on Bheads before.
Richard is very soft spoken and he asks personal questions in a way that doesn't feel intrusive. He is at the same time disclosing aspects of his own life, so that the other person doesn't feel 'interrogated'. It's more like talking to a good friend. He seems to be a good listener too.

I think it's old school literary sensibilities. We could use a few more artists and writers around here.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's probably old school sensibilities as you say. Perhaps part of its appeal has to do with that nostalgia of tranquil conversations with old friends. I wonder how younger people perceive him.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM

Poor Richard. His instincts are right. As Uncle Eb joked... Fee for services rendered: Zero. Increased book sales due to bhtv exposure?: Maybe.

His satisfaction has to come from our expression of appreciation for his efforts. I have read much of his work and enjoy even more his soft-spoken style. Some of his insights require pushback, but as Wonderment and Ocean expressed, the value is beyond politics. His art compels self-reflection and humility. Something likely lost on the Silicon valley exec with the Lambo locked in first gear:
http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/167...4:44&out=56:44
Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Yes, he presents a deeper perspective about various issues. And he counterbalances our materialistic selves. You may agree or disagree with him but he always makes you think a little harder. Hey, I really like the guy!
I read his first book and the title escapes me now. I followed him in the 80's and early 90's and he was accused by some as being inauthentic, a sell out, the usual derogatory stuff. What I like about Richard is he takes the deep subjects head on and doesn't equivocate. He has thought them through and says what he thinks no matter who it's to. I guess that would eliminate him for any kind of elective office since the key there is telling people what they want to hear.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 12-29-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjazfan View Post
I read his first book and the title escapes me now. I followed him in the 80's and early 90's and he was accused by some as being inauthentic, a sell out, the usual derogatory stuff. What I like about Richard is he takes the deep subjects head on and doesn't equivocate. He has thought them through and says what he thinks no matter who it's to. I guess that would eliminate him for any kind of elective office since the key there is telling people what they want to hear.

John
If by "elective office" you mean politicians, I guess you're right. Whether you call it diplomacy or political maneuvers it would be very difficult or impossible to be absolutely honest all the time. Sometimes it's better to refrain from saying things that may be inflammatory or just counterproductive. But you worded your comment in a way that requires a little more elaboration. There is a wide range between what I describe as applied to an otherwise honest politician, to more extremes forms in which people (politicians or not) may say only what the audience expects or demands. There are many possible scenarios that can explain that kind of behavior. Perhaps you or others can expand this topic for further discussion.

But going back to Richard, I don't know his work in depth. In the 90's when I still watched some television every now and then, he would appear frequently in PBS and would read one of his poems or essays. It's probably the combination of his calm voice, the nostalgia, and at the same time his daring attitude and ease to address deep complex topics that make his writings so appealing to me. I don't know why anyone would think of him as inauthentic, but again I'm not familiar with his work in depth. Sometimes people change their views when they encounter new life experiences or different perspectives. I don't know whether you would call that "equivocating". Would you mind clarifying that?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Ocean,

Hello! Essentially Richard's views are the same now as they were 25 years ago. His positons on the Catholic Church, Mexicans being happier than Americans, race, what have you, have not changed one iota. I have heard the Irish nuns teaching him English about 10 times. The same with the crucifix and the barren cross.

Where he got some heat was his views on affirmative action. He turned down a position at a prestigious univerrsity because he felt they were just filling a quota. In his own personal way he had a coherent but detailed explanation why he felt it was inappropriate and that he didn't warrant it. In the 80's and early 90's that put him in bad stead with some younger Hispanics.

John

Last edited by bkjazfan; 12-29-2008 at 11:20 PM..