Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
BhTV staff

Default Non-Scenery-Chewing Oscar Edition (David Edelstein & Alex Gibney)

Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Non-Scenery-Chewing Oscar Edition

Interested to see how Edelstein does here. He's a good critic and a sharp wit, even if he seems to dislike 90% of the movies he reviews.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 PM

I'm looking forward to this since I really enjoyed the Bob Wright / Alex Gibney diavlog last year. But am I experiencing deja vu? It seems like I've previously heard Gibney's tale of the photographer at the Oscars almost word for word. http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/344...0:43&out=01:16 Did this snag anyone else?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Nice discussion. It's always good to learn what the critics have to say about art. I always chuckle, though, when I hear comments like "there's such complexity in the simplicity", "the elaboration of the difficulty made it too easy" and such. Sooo art critic!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM

In terms of performances that I saw this year, Noomi Rapace's work in the Millenium Trilogy is above anyone else's; quite a shame that she was not nominated. Firth did great work in the King's Speech, but I found Ryan Gosling's (unnominated) performance in Blue Valentine to be better.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM

This was the best dv I had heard in weeks. Part of this is that I'm not as familiar with these heads as with many of the others.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Definitely agree with David that "Winter's Bone" was the best movie of the year that I've seen.

The only contenders I saw, however, were "King's Speech, Social Network, True Grit" and "The Kids Are All Right." I can't say any of those was a great movie, but there were certainly some wonderful performances.

I will also second the idea that Sebastian Junger's "War" is an important and captivating book about the conflict in Afghanistan, about 21st century US militarism, and about men in general.

I haven't seen "Restrepo," but I read "War" based on John Horgan's Bheads recommendation.
--Psalm 34:15
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderment View Post
Definitely agree with David that "Winter's Bone" was the best movie of the year that I've seen.

The only contenders I saw, however, were "King's Speech, Social Network, True Grit" and "The Kids Are All Right." I can't say any of those was a great movie, but there were certainly some wonderful performances.

I will also second the idea that Sebastian Junger's "War" is an important and captivating book about the conflict in Afghanistan, about 21st century US militarism, and about men in general.

I haven't seen "Restrepo," but I read "War" based on John Horgan's Bheads recommendation.
Restrepo is a good documentary, far better than the mediocre Exit Through the Giftshop. Waiting For Superman was the best documentary of the year, though.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM

Pleasant, if not fascinating, conversation. I often found Alex's analysis more interesting than David's. I believe I'll watch Social Network again.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Non-Scenery-Chewing Oscar Edition (David Edelstein & Alex Gibney)

"Away From Her" was a great flick as well as a short story. It's also the source a great joke in host Jon Stewart's monologue: "Julie Christie was absolutely amazing in "Away From Her." Brilliant movie. It was the moving story of a woman who forgets her own husband. Hillary Clinton calls it the feel good movie of the year."
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Too bad James Bowman wasn't in this DV

Now he'd be interesting. Here's his review of Black Swan. and here's his review of "Passion of the Christ" which (unlike David's) actually talks about the movie as a movie.

Others of interest: Armond White or John Simon (assuming he's still alive).
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Non-Scenery-Chewing Oscar Edition (David Edelstein & Alex Gibney)

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails and Atticus Ross have scored the music for The Social Network. And they did win the Oscar so David Edelstein and Alex Gibney should be pleased.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Default this DV may kill john simon once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcocean View Post
Now he'd be interesting. Here's his review of Black Swan. and here's his review of "Passion of the Christ" which (unlike David's) actually talks about the movie as a movie.

Others of interest: Armond White or John Simon (assuming he's still alive).
yup. i too was disappointed that this (all-too-rare) culture slot was snatched up by the paint-by-numbers Boboism of Edelstein and Gibney. (gibney particularly.) White or Simon the Undead would have been great, and I would also like to see Andrew O'heir, Stephanie Zacharek, or perhaps Kyle Smith. (A Kyle Smith/O'heir smackdown would be on the level of MacDonald/Loury.)

Gibney's pathetic 2 hour Eliot Spitzer infomercial, which I unfortunately saw, was memorably savaged by Smith here.

And Scott Raab's take in Esquire was even better. Do read the whole thing, but here are some of the juiciest bits:

Quote:
Here's Spitzer — ex-governor of New York, son of a rich father determined to make him America's first Jewish president, Princeton grad, husband, father, and regular patron of a prostitution ring so keenly attuned to its clients' self-delusions that it called itself the Emperors Club — in his little suit and tie, pondering his downfall on camera, likening himself to Icarus: "Those whom the gods would destroy, they make all-powerful."

Putz. He doesn't even know the quotation. (And, by the way, neither did Rod Blagojevich.) It ends, "...they first make mad." As in insane. Which is precisely the case with Spitzer.

He was born into money, so his greed was for power. His press conferences as AG were insanity visible; here was a man who wore self-righteousness like a straitjacket and took pleasure in inflicting public pain. He was plainly a bully, an officer of the law who never let the law stand in his way, and even while it was impossible to muster any sympathy for his victims — men like AIG's Hank Greenberg and Dick Grasso, former head of the NYSE — it also was difficult not to imagine what else Spitzer might be doing under his cloak of calculated fury.

Gibney suggests that the mighty enemies Spitzer made along the road to the governor's office somehow triggered his collapse, which is laughable. He implies that had Spitzer not fallen, somehow our economy would be healthier today, which is ludicrous. And he — along with the desperadoes at CNN — seems to find Spitzer to be an appealing, interesting guy. Sorry. I knew Icarus — Icarus was a friend of mine. Eliot Spitzer is no Icarus. Prickarus, maybe.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Re: this DV may kill john simon once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
yup. i too was disappointed that this (all-too-rare) culture slot was snatched up by the paint-by-numbers Boboism of Edelstein and Gibney. (gibney particularly.) White or Simon the Undead would have been great, and I would also like to see Andrew O'heir, Stephanie Zacharek, or perhaps Kyle Smith. (A Kyle Smith/O'heir smackdown would be on the level of MacDonald/Loury.)

Gibney's pathetic 2 hour Eliot Spitzer infomercial, which I unfortunately saw, was memorably savaged by Smith here.

And Scott Raab's take in Esquire was even better. Do read the whole thing, but here are some of the juiciest bits:
Wow, that Raab "critique" just reeked of anger and intensely personal issues. How does his distaste for Spitzer or disagreement with the POV of the documentary help you (except insofar as as it reinforces your own bias) or the rest of us? I've seen quite a bit of Gibney's work, though not the Spitzer piece, and it's been generally excellent.

Welcome back.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
Wow, that Raab "critique" just reeked of anger and intensely personal issues. How does his distaste for Spitzer or disagreement with the POV of the documentary help you (except insofar as as it reinforces your own bias) or the rest of us? I've seen quite a bit of Gibney's work, though not the Spitzer piece, and it's been generally excellent.

Welcome back.
I'm not sure if intense anger directed towards Eliot Spitzer is a vice.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
I'm not sure if intense anger directed towards Eliot Spitzer is a vice.
Aside from his sexual addiction, for which I think he deserves some compassion, I don't see why. Regardless, a movie review isn't the appropriate platform for it.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post

Thanks for links Nikki. Smith and Raab's take seems right on target. I'll have to read some O'heir - I'm not familiar with him.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Andrew O'hehir on True Grit

Quote:
The surprise chick-flick of the season! Although I guess we're not surprised any longer, since "True Grit" has now far, far outstripped "No Country for Old Men" as the highest-grossing film Joel and Ethan Coen have ever made.
OK, I've read some O'hehir and he's pretty good.

Thanks again, Nikki.