Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
BhTV staff

Default The Week in Blog: Supporting Nuance (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Default asians in the library

do youtube videos fall within the realm of blogs? I think so. People posting POV content on the web that is viewed by others. Here is one of the many response videos to the Asians in the Library video of a UCLA student ( who was forced to leave the schoool. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBHRPozhZY

It is representative of the responses. The newcomers are very angry with the natives in America.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Default Re: The Week in Blog: Supporting Nuance (Bill Scher & Matt Lewis)

Herman Cain was lucky. You don't want to know where some colored water fountains got their water.
chamblee54
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Re: asians in the library

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvilleSteve View Post
do youtube videos fall within the realm of blogs? I think so. People posting POV content on the web that is viewed by others. Here is one of the many response videos to the Asians in the Library video of a UCLA student ( who was forced to leave the schoool. )

It is representative of the responses. The newcomers are very angry with the natives in America.
weeall garsh an' gollee, I wunder how they got like 'at?
Hell, weuns yusta try not to kill too many of the Chinamens when 'nay was puttin in the railroads...

Us natives killed off the old natives fair and square, we earned a right to this here country!

Last edited by handle; 03-24-2011 at 09:36 PM..
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Matt and I taped this Thursday morning, before HuffPost reacted to Brietbart's interview in the Daily Caller and decided to ban him from the front page.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...MPQB_blog.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/wei...breitbart.aspx

Which is too bad, because there'd be even more to talk about!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scher View Post
Matt and I taped this Thursday morning, before HuffPost reacted to Brietbart's interview in the Daily Caller and decided to ban him from the front page.

And you didn't mention that sellout Lee Stranahan.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Matt - why would anyone want to be the Tony Kornheiser of anything? Dood makes Roy Firestone look prepared and informative.

Also - great job pointing out the hypocritical hatchet job on Clarance Thomas (not to mention Scalia and Alito) via his wife. Watching Anthony Weiner become the new Alan Grayson has been something to see.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Default Understatement of the year?

The "Knownest" of Knowns
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Default A consequence of having an office at The Daily Caller?

Paging Richard Hofstadter ...

(?)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM

She was forced to leave the school? AFAIK, UCLA did nothing at all to punish her (which I think is the right decision). It's true that everyone likes to use new information to support their already-existing opinions, but it's really remarkable how you're able to take almost any event discussed on this board and use it to push your pet theory, regardless of how relevant it actually is. Wouldn't it be easier just to say that internet assholes saw an easy target for mockery in this girl (who is, herself, an internet asshole)? Or would you be willing to take other instances of internet pile-ons, like, say, the woman who fell into a shopping mall fountain, or the fat kid dancing with the light saber, and explain how they're evidence of the persecution of native-born white Republicans?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Interesting how Weigel puts it:

Quote:
Huffington Post Wimps Out on Breitbart

I'm disappointed and annoyed to see the Huffington Post buckling under a pressure campaign ...
Long-simmering resentments bubbling up, SOME might say.

Quote:
I liked the way Pareene put it, in response to the HuffPo statement:

Quote:
Quote:
Andrew Breitbart’s ad hominem attack on Van Jones in The Daily Caller -- right down to calling him a "commie punk" and "a cop killer-supporting, racist, demagogic freak" -- violates the tenets of debate and civil discourse we have strived for since the day we launched. As a result, we will no longer feature his posts on the front page.

[...]
A strict prohibition on ad hominem attacks! ("Against Arianna's friends," is the bit of that sentence that spokesman Marco Ruiz left out.)
His whole post is worth reading for those who want a full recap: "The stupid saga of Andrew Breitbart and the Huffington Post." The last paragraph is the key to understanding the mentality of the Breitbart types.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Default I think Matt was wrong ...

... at the end of the diavlog about the significance of a candidate's stance on AGW. He might be right that it's not the most important thing in a voting for sense, such that a candidate wouldn't get much electoral traction by emphasizing mitigation plans over other campaign planks, but it seems ever more obvious that it's become a shibboleth for Republicans to be denialists, lest their base turn on them. The recent doings in Congress -- now so extreme that there was unanimous voting against amendments to bills that merely recognized the problem exists -- indicates this. So does flip-flopping by Republicans who used to be comfortable with acknowledging the problem. Pawlenty is not the only one; Lindsey Graham is fairly infamous for this, too.

It may end up being that the weakness of the rest of the GOP field, and the strong dislike the rest of them each engenders in some segment of the base, result in Pawlenty not being unable to overcome his past brush with reality on the AGW issue. But I think Matt is wrong to say that the issue is not important to voters, especially the ones likely to participate in Republican primaries.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-25-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezboard View Post
She was forced to leave the school? AFAIK, UCLA did nothing at all to punish her (which I think is the right decision). It's true that everyone likes to use new information to support their already-existing opinions, but it's really remarkable how you're able to take almost any event discussed on this board and use it to push your pet theory, regardless of how relevant it actually is. Wouldn't it be easier just to say that internet assholes saw an easy target for mockery in this girl (who is, herself, an internet asshole)? Or would you be willing to take other instances of internet pile-ons, like, say, the woman who fell into a shopping mall fountain, or the fat kid dancing with the light saber, and explain how they're evidence of the persecution of native-born white Republicans?
the president of UCLA issued a statement saying what she said was horrible, etc. The 20 year old girl got death threats. She has withdrawn from her school.

It is not just internet trolls who are making a big deal about this. Search on asians in the library on youtube. There are seemingly hundreds of response videos. I think it is useful to watch the videos to get an understanding of asian culture in america. I was not aware so many asian kids were adopting gangsta rap mannerisms. ( And when you read the comments you see there is a running debate about that. )

The country is going to implode financially. American society is splintering. Republican/Democrat. Asian/Hispanic/Black/White. Midwest/South/east coast/west coast. I think all the things the feds concern themselves with are going to become more and more insignificant. Just like what is happening to Obama and Biden now.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Re: I think Matt was wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
... It may end up being that the weakness of the rest of the GOP field, and the strong dislike the rest of them each engenders in some segment of the base, result in Pawlenty not being unable to overcome his past brush with reality on the AGW issue. But I think Matt is wrong to say that the issue is not important to voters, especially the ones likely to participate in Republican primaries.
not sure what this is all in reference to. The diavlog was too boring, could not watch after a few minutes. I do find it interesting to think about why no credible republicans are stepping forward to run the country. During the Bush 1 and 2 periods, there seems to have been very few national level republicans coming up thru the farm system. In 4 years time we will have Walker, Christie, Niki in South Carolina, Bobby in La ready to run. I fault both Bushes with not having advanced more political leaders thru the system. Giuliani should have been attorney general just to see him perform at the national level. Christie should have been in Washington.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It is representative of the responses.
Not exactly.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Default the GE tax bill

interesting account of how GE avoids paying taxes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

The one part, about the tax deductions GE is able to wrangle for itself is easy enough to rectify. But I want to know more about if and how wealthy people are moving their money offshore. Historically, governments die because they cannot collect the taxes they need to fund operations. I am kind of making that up, but I think there is a lot to it. If the feds cannot increase revenue, we are totally sunk.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhatharry View Post
but what is the point in that video of all the mocking sexual references to Ms. Wallace? I think they are seeing whites as having an entitled position in society and are sick of it. Also, I think the Asians in America identify with the economic success and power of the collective Oriental Asian countries and are demanding more respect here in the USA.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
not sure what this is all in reference to.
First sentence of the post to which you responded:

Quote:
... at the end of the diavlog about the significance of a candidate's stance on AGW.
He was fluffing Pawlenty and trying to downplay the problems he might have with the Republican Party's base during the primaries concerning the stances he has previously taken.

Quote:
The diavlog was too boring, could not watch after a few minutes. I do find it interesting to think about why no credible republicans are stepping forward to run the country.
I find it interesting that you think there are "no credible republicans ... stepping forward to run the country."

Quote:
During the Bush 1 and 2 periods, there seems to have been very few national level republicans coming up thru the farm system. In 4 years time we will have Walker, Christie, Niki in South Carolina, Bobby in La ready to run. I fault both Bushes with not having advanced more political leaders thru the system. Giuliani should have been attorney general just to see him perform at the national level. Christie should have been in Washington.
I also find it interesting that being a Washington insider suddenly counts as a plus for you.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

So help me to understand. What is wrong with the responses and why do they indicate that newcomers are very angry with 'the natives'? In this case the blond doesn't represent the natives. She represents either herself or a very small subset of American culture, that of rude, white, entitled, lift up bra, valley girl mentality. She deliberately insulted people of a certain background and they responded back with insults.

I think it is probably she who demonstrates the most anger. Her academic performance probably pales in comparison to her Asian classmates.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
but what is the point in that video of all the mocking sexual references to Ms. Wallace? I think they are seeing whites as having an entitled position in society and are sick of it..
Steve!!!!! She was deliberately mocking them and she did it with half of her cleavage showing. While Asian students may be sick of the entitled whites, I don't think this is any proof of that

Quote:
Also, I think the Asians in America identify with the economic success and power of the collective Oriental Asian countries and are demanding more respect here in the USA
I wish I could say this some authority but I think this kind of in your face demand for respect is probably atypical for Asians (up until now).
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that you think there are "no credible republicans ... stepping forward to run the country."
What do you find interesting about it? That said, I am more interested in knowing how your government is going to raise the revenue it needs when the rich people are moving what they have off shore. Would be very interesting to see the tax return of John Paulson and Goldman Sachs.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
What do you find interesting about it? That said, I am more interested in knowing how your government is going to raise the revenue it needs when the rich people are moving what they have off shore. Would be very interesting to see the tax return of John Paulson and Goldman Sachs.
Hank

edit: sorry, it is John.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
What do you find interesting about it?
That no matter how much crazy stuff the GOP candidates are willing to say, they're still unable to appeal to the true crazies.

I have this fantasy that one of them is going to realize he* can't win by out-crazying the rest of them, and so will try the long shot/build for four years from now by running as a moderate.

==========

* I'd've said "he or she" but given that the only Republican women one hears about these days are Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Sharron Angle ...
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

And you didn't mention that sellout Lee Stranahan.
Oh, let's. Let's talk about this Seeker of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Quote:
I Am Breitbartacus!

A blogger you have never heard of is leaving the Huffington Post because they booted Andrew Breibart’s racist bullshit ass off of their front page. This has made Lee Stranahan suicidal and butt-hurty about the Huffington Post and freedom of the press and collegiality and shit:

[...]
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
It is not just internet trolls who are making a big deal about this. Search on asians in the library on youtube. There are seemingly hundreds of response videos. I think it is useful to watch the videos to get an understanding of asian culture in america. I was not aware so many asian kids were adopting gangsta rap mannerisms. ( And when you read the comments you see there is a running debate about that. )
You of all people should know that obtuse, thinly veiled racists get mocked out here on the internets. Maybe you could start posting on how the native white US citizens have a right to their own internets, and should secede from the foreigner ones.
Separate, but equal, of course.

Last edited by handle; 03-25-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
Watching Anthony Weiner become the new Alan Grayson has been something to see.
I wonder why harkin has this sudden interest in Congressman Weiner.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I wonder why harkin has this sudden interest in Congressman Weiner.
OMG! The talking points based on misinformation have been debunked! It's subject changin' time!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
OMG! The talking points based on misinformation have been debunked! It's subject changin' time!
Does this mean a new government agency? The United States Department of Waivers. Maybe they can get someone from the IRS to manage it.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Does this mean a new government agency? The United States Department of Waivers. Maybe they can get someone from the IRS to manage it.
You don't have to do everything I say. But thanks for verifying my behavioral foresight.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
[...]

It may end up being that the weakness of the rest of the GOP field, and the strong dislike the rest of them each engenders in some segment of the base, result in Pawlenty not being unable to overcome his past brush with reality on the AGW issue. But I think Matt is wrong to say that the issue is not important to voters, especially the ones likely to participate in Republican primaries.
But! Can he overcome his past friendliness for Sharia?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
but what is the point in that video of all the mocking sexual references to Ms. Wallace? I think they are seeing whites as having an entitled position in society and are sick of it. Also, I think the Asians in America identify with the economic success and power of the collective Oriental Asian countries and are demanding more respect here in the USA.
I think you are reading too much into this event. It is another much ado about very little.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjazfan View Post
I think you are reading too much into this event. It is another much ado about very little.
I am halfway sold on that also. I am searching for the explanation of whether a white republican can win national election in the country. Esp one that wants to restrict immigration.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
But! Can he overcome his past friendliness for Sharia?
I don't see why something like this is a problem. Or Romney's association with RomneyCare. All the candidate has to say is they tried to meet the electorate halfway and give them some centrist policies. As a governor you have to make compromises to govern.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
You don't have to do everything I say. But thanks for verifying my behavioral foresight.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, let's. Let's talk about this Seeker of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Quote:
I Am Breitbartacus!

A blogger you have never heard of is leaving the Huffington Post because they booted Andrew Breibart’s racist bullshit ass off of their front page. This has made Lee Stranahan suicidal and butt-hurty about the Huffington Post and freedom of the press and collegiality and shit:

[...]
It gets better. The big butthurt-by-proxy whiner about "censorship" is now deleting comments. Probably because they're too funny.

Or did Boss Andrew tell him to?

(It would be irresponsible NOT to speculate, as his new friends all say.)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I am halfway sold on that also. I am searching for the explanation of whether a white republican can win national election in the country. Esp one that wants to restrict immigration.
I, for one, hope not.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I don't see why something like this is a problem. Or Romney's association with RomneyCare. All the candidate has to say is they tried to meet the electorate halfway and give them some centrist policies. As a governor you have to make compromises to govern.
I think that's right, but it is the reasonable position - not that of a base. Candidates have to walk that weird line between satisfying the base by not appearing to compromise on agenda, while doing the difficult work of building coalitions and making themselves stomachable(?) to mainstream America. I think the successful ones are probably those who can pull this off.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I don't think this kind of thing (i.e., Pawlenty's sharia mortgages) is a problem in the general election. It is in the primary, though, and precisely because of what you said about governors having to govern -- the Republican base just isn't interested in governing.

Romneycare will be a bigger problem, I think, since it makes it pretty impossible for Romney to articulate his opposition to Obama's health care bill. My inclination is to say this will actually be a bigger problem for him in the general than in the primary, since in the primary all Romney has to say is "I hate Obamacare" to get cheers from the crowd, whereas in the general the crowd will actually want to know what his idea is and how it's better.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You may have a point there on one who wants to restrict immigration. Now, I am referring to illegal immigration not legal (I haven't seen any polling about restriction of legal immigration). From polling the majority of blacks and whites want to do exactly that. The problem is that the former vote for democrats. Obviously, it can happen at the local and state levels but a national race is questionable.

Last edited by bkjazfan; 03-26-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeeeli View Post
I think that's right, but it is the reasonable position - not that of a base. Candidates have to walk that weird line between satisfying the base by not appearing to compromise on agenda, while doing the difficult work of building coalitions and making themselves stomachable(?) to mainstream America. I think the successful ones are probably those who can pull this off.
the republican base wants the budget to be balanced. It wants America to be economically self reliant. Speaking that message to the base would not scare off centrist voters.

Pawlenty and Romney have to be able to speak to the country as a whole. To do that they have to run the guantlet of gotcha questions from the MSM. You would not think that would be so hard, but Romney has shown himself incapable of doing it.