Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
apple

Default Islamists get 65% in Egypt

The party formed by the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s mainstream Islamist group, appeared to have taken about 40 percent of the vote, as expected. But a big surprise was the strong showing of ultraconservative Islamists, called Salafis, many of whom see most popular entertainment as sinful and reject women’s participation in voting or public life.

Analysts in the state-run news media said early returns indicated that Salafi groups could take as much as a quarter of the vote, giving the two groups of Islamists combined control of nearly 65 percent of the parliamentary seats.

[...]

Although this week’s voting took place in only a third of Egypt’s provinces, they included some of the nation’s most liberal precincts — like Cairo, Port Said and the Red Sea coast — suggesting that the Islamist wave is likely to grow stronger as the voting moves into more conservative rural areas in the coming months. (Alexandria, a conservative stronghold, also has voted.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/wo...islamists.html

Alexander the Great must be proud, his Universal Brotherhood of Man has turned into a Muslim Brotherhood of Stoning and Child Mutilation. Can you smell the beautiful flowers of the Arab Spring? Some time ago, Winspur on this board accused me of "rancid Islamophobia" for criticizing the Muslim Brotherhood. He wasn't up to date on the latest Muslim Brotherhood terminology. The newest word the Muslim Brotherhood has made up is Ikhwanophobia (Ikhwan = Brotherhood). After all, Winspur was exceptionally wise to be able to see that opposition to the Muslim Brotherhood is "Islamophobia" - some might question that. Then again, once you've got it inside your head that opposition to a particular ideology (Islam) is bigotry, why not also the Brotherhood's version of that ideology?

I look forward to the leftists accusing me of Ikhwanophobia, Mutilatiophobia, Lithophobia (fear of stoning), as well as any other wonderful practice that the Muslim Brotherhood advocates. Also, let's not forget that I am a notorious and despicable Naziphobe - one who is in need of aid to be cured of this disease.