Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Diavlog comments
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diavlog comments Post comments about particular diavlogs here.
(Users cannot create new threads.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Default Re: "These people are terrorists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
Quote:
Romney: Of course you [Gingrich] stand firm and stand for the truth, but you don't speak for Israel.

Gingrich: I didn't.

Romney: If Bibi Netanyahu wants to say what you said, let him say it. But our ally, the people of Israel should be able to take their own positions and not have us negotiate for them.

Gingrich: Can I just say one last thing? Because I didn't speak for the people of Israel. I spoke as a historian who has looked at the world stage for a very long time. I've known Bibi [Netanyahu] since 1984. I feel quite confident an amazing number of Israelis found it nice to have an American tell the truth about the war they are in the middle of and the casualties they're taking and the people who surround them who say, you do not have the right to exist and we want to destroy you.

Romney: I've also known Bibi Netanyahu for a long time. We worked together at Boston Consulting Group. And the last thing Bibi Netanyahu needs to have is not just a person who's a historian, but someone who is also running for president of the United States stand up and say things that create extraordinary tumult in his neighborhood. And if I'm president of the United States, I will exercise sobriety, care, stability and make sure that I don't say anything like this.

Anything I say that can affect a place with rockets going in, with people dying. I don't do anything that would harm that process. And, therefore, before I made a statement of that nature, I'd get on the phone to my friend, Bibi Netanyahu and say, would it help if I say this? What would you like me to do? Let's work together because we're partners. I'm not a bomb-thrower. Rhetorically or literally.
There was a weird exchange in the debate where Romney seemed to be trying to rebuke Gingrich for this but then they end up arguing over who is closer with Bibi.
It was a weird exchange. It seemed to me that Romney looked a bit weak here in terms of "leadership". Asking Bibi if it was OK for The President to do or say X could be seen as weakness. Obviously they were all smitten with Bibi and wanted his blessing and all that yet for a candidate like Romney who has been banging on Obama for his bowing angle with a Japanese PM to be nervously jabbering about what another country wants the president to do strikes me as a little odd. I think a lot of conservatives want a leader who says what he wants as opposed to worrying about what other leaders want ( even Bibi the Great !! )