Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > General comments on Bloggingheads.tv
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

General comments on Bloggingheads.tv Post comments about our website here.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Paul Krugman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Yeah, I was obviously exaggerating. But I still don't think it speaks well of Krugman, and it seems somewhat ironic based on the epistemic closure debate. The problem with "what counts a good right wing economics blog!?!" is that I could say a similar thing about left wing economic blogs.
Sure, you could say that. You say things all the time! Especially involving the words Just Like!

But somehow, I have the odd feeling that Krugman actually is far better informed than you are, and if he says there's nothing conservative blogs can tell him, I presume he means there's nothing they can tell him that he hasn't already heard a million times before.

Besides, given the lists he gives in that post you linked to and his earlier one, he's being kept abreast of what's going on in the rightosphere.

As to your suggestions about people he ought to be aware of, see here and here and here and here.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Sure, you could say that. You say things all the time! Especially involving the words Just Like!

But somehow, I have the odd feeling that Krugman actually is far better informed than you are, and if he says there's nothing conservative blogs can tell him, I presume he means there's nothing they can tell him that he hasn't already heard a million times before.

Besides, given the lists he gives in that post you linked to and his earlier one, he's being kept abreast of what's going on in the rightosphere.

As to your suggestions about people he ought to be aware of, see here and here and here and here.
Where to start...

Krugman better informed than me? In what sense? Generally speaking, sure. He's also better informed than you are in that sense, so I'm not sure what your point is. Being a smart person doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to opposing views. But I doubt he's better informed about the specific blogs I mentioned. Political debates and arguments are cyclical; it's pretty asinine to say "Oh I don't need to listen to those who disagree, I've heard it all a million times before!" We've *all* heard it a million times before. This is how political debate works. And saying he is abreast of the rightosphere because he reads a few moonbat blogs that sufficiently caricature, strawman, and deny context to right wing blogs doesn't mean he's fully informed by them. And what is your last part supposed to prove? The fact that he's aware of some of these people doesn't mean he reads them on a consistent basis. Greg Mankiw is a pretty famous person in the political world. I'm slightly more impressed he knows who Tyler Cowen is, and I think that's a good sign. But then you put Chris Hayes in the search box? I never mentioned Chris Hayes, and I don't think he qualifies as a conservative economics blogger? And for you last trick, simply putting in "National Review" doesn't count, because Reihan Salam is not National Review, believe it or not.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Where to start...
Where to stop ...

Hey, I know. Right here!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Where to stop ...

Hey, I know. Right here!
So Chris Hayes is indeed a right wing economist? Good to know.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
So Chris Hayes is indeed a right wing economist? Good to know.
Never said he was.

I thought he was an American Scene contributor. See attached.

Not sure what's going on -- looks like his archive on that site was wiped. Or he once signed on but then never contributed, and their CMS software just keeps creating empty years under his name.

I don't, in any case, think this makes your case that because Paul Krugman doesn't like your favorite bloggers, he's therefore ill-informed. He's a tenured professor at a top-flight school and a Nobel Prize winner in his field. You are some guy on the Internet who has yet to demonstrate expertise in anything. Your belief that the blogs that inform you -- or reinforce your beliefs, more likely -- should be of interest to him strikes me as a classic example of what Dunning and Kruger were talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
americanscene-google.jpg  

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-10-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Never said he was.

I thought he was an American Scene contributor. See attached.

Not sure what's going on -- looks like his archive on that site was wiped. Or he once signed on but then never contributed, and their CMS software just keeps creating empty years under his name.

I don't, in any case, think this makes your case that because Paul Krugman doesn't like your favorite bloggers, he's therefore ill-informed. He's a tenured professor at a top-flight school and a Nobel Prize winner in his field. You are some guy on the Internet who has yet to demonstrate expertise in anything. Your belief that the blogs that inform you -- or reinforce your beliefs, more likely -- should be of interest to him strikes me as a classic example of what Dunning and Kruger were talking about.
If you thought I was trying to say that Paul Krugman was ill-informed, that's not what I meant, and I don't think I ever said that. I don't care if he reads my favorite blogs, other than the satisfaction I'd gain in knowing that more people were reading good blogs. I was just trying to refute the claim that there's nothing out there of value in the right-o-sphere when it comes to economic policy. Krugman being unaware of this doesn't make him ill-informed. It just means he said something that isn't true, in a dismissive and condescending way. Although that probably shouldn't surprise anyone.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Default Re: chiwhi's idiotic views of Paul Krugman...

Quote:
If you thought I was trying to say that Paul Krugman was ill-informed, that's not what I meant, and I don't think I ever said that.
Can't imagine how I could have thought that's what you meant. Or maybe I can!

Quote:
Former bhead, redefining epistemic closure!
Quote:
... But I still don't think it speaks well of Krugman ... epistemic closure ... Being ignorant of them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Quote:
Krugman better informed than me? In what sense? ... Being a smart person doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to opposing views. But I doubt he's better informed about the specific blogs I mentioned. Political debates and arguments are cyclical; it's pretty asinine to say "Oh I don't need to listen to those who disagree, I've heard it all a million times before!" We've *all* heard it a million times before. This is how political debate works. And saying he is abreast of the rightosphere because he reads a few moonbat blogs that sufficiently caricature, strawman, and deny context to right wing blogs doesn't mean he's fully informed by them.
Is there another story you'd like to change? Ah, yes:

Quote:
I don't care if he reads my favorite blogs, ...
Do you remember anything of what you wrote in your previous posts?

Quote:
I was just trying to refute the claim that there's nothing out there of value in the right-o-sphere when it comes to economic policy.
No. Your claim was that there is something out there of value for Paul Krugman in the handful of right-wing blogs you claim to like. You're going to keep repeating yourself -- when you're not denying saying something that you just said -- probably forever on this, so I'm not going to waste much more time, but let's try this once more. Do yourself a favor and say this out loud to yourself a few times: "Paul Krugman knows so much more about his field than chiwhi does that there is no conceivable way chiwhi can evaluate how well-informed Paul Krugman is about right-wing economic thinking. Why, it is even possible that Paul Krugman gets his information through channels other than chiwhi's favorite blogs!"

Quote:
Krugman being unaware of this doesn't make him ill-informed. It just means he said something that isn't true, ...
Sorry, badhat. Uh, I mean, operative. Uh, I mean, chiwhi. Your opinion does not suffice to make something true, no matter how frequently or vehemently you express it.

Quote:
... in a dismissive and condescending way. Although that probably shouldn't surprise anyone.
Welp, there's always that card of last resort -- the victim card.

And yet you wonder why Paul Krugman, and so many others, think there is nothing of worth to be read from the conservative bloggers who are filling your head.

And come to that, "filling" may not be such a good choice of verb. Because if there are any right-wing economic ideas that don't amount to free market magic ponies + tax cuts uber alles + deficits only matter when a Democrat is in the White House, I sure haven't seen you pass any of them along.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-10-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Can't imagine how I could have thought that's what you meant. Or maybe I can!

Is there another story you'd like to change? Ah, yes:

Do you remember anything of what you wrote in your previous posts?

No. Your claim was that there is something out there of value for Paul Krugman in the handful of right-wing blogs you claim to like. You're going to keep repeating yourself -- when you're not denying saying something that you just said -- probably forever on this, so I'm not going to waste much more time, but let's try this once more. Do yourself a favor and say this out loud to yourself a few times: "Paul Krugman knows so much more about his field than chiwhi does that there is no conceivable way chiwhi can evaluate how well-informed Paul Krugman is about right-wing economic thinking. Why, it is even possible that Paul Krugman gets his information through channels other than chiwhi's favorite blogs!"

Sorry, badhat. Uh, I mean, operative. Uh, I mean, chiwhi. Your opinion does not suffice to make something true, no matter how frequently or vehemently you express it.

Welp, there's always that card of last resort -- the victim card.

And yet you wonder why Paul Krugman, and so many others, think there is nothing of worth to be read from the conservative bloggers who are filling your head.

And come to that, "filling" may not be such a good choice of verb. Because if there are any right-wing economic ideas that don't amount to free market magic ponies + tax cuts uber alles + deficits only matter when a Democrat is in the White House, I sure haven't seen you pass any of them along.
I hope the 20 minutes it took you to craft this response was an efficient use of your time.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I hope the 20 minutes it took you to craft this response was an efficient use of your time.
I don't know about "efficient." That's probably not the word you want. You should consider the risk involved in parroting terms you pick up without apparent understanding from those oh-so-important blogs of yours.

I will say that however long it took, my response appears to have left you with nothing to do but do the equivalent of chucking the bird out the window as you ride away sniveling in the back of your mom's car, so I'll say yes, it was worth doing.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Oh, hey look! Adam Serwer ...

... is becoming a Twittermeme! #adamserwerfacts

Dave Weigel leaps aboard the Let's Quash This bandwagon.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Oh, hey look! Adam Serwer ...

Quote:
... is becoming a Twittermeme! #adamserwerfacts

Dave Weigel leaps aboard the Let's Quash This bandwagon.
And speaking of the latter, Mr. Riley has turned a righteous and gimlet eye: "Why Is There A David Weigel? Part IX."
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Kerry Howley ...

... goes big time! A piece in this coming Sunday's NYT Magazine: "The Road to the White House Is Paved With Pizza."

(h/t: @willwilkinson and LOL: @willwilkinson)
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And speaking of the latter, Mr. Riley has turned a righteous and gimlet eye: "Why Is There A David Weigel? Part IX."
Follow-up post: "Forget It, Jake. It's Slate."
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
i have to say, i find this continually amusing -- you were the high priest of Weigel worship back when he was shitting on limbaugh on Journolist, yet now you can't say two nice words about the guy.

you are nothing if not inconsistent.

btw, i feel bad for weigel. he has the most boring beat in journalism. his job requires him to pretend that middle management meatballs in exurbia, who like to get dressed up in tri-corner hats on the weekends, are interesting.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I will say that however long it took, my response appears to have left you with nothing to do but do the equivalent of chucking the bird out the window as you ride away sniveling in the back of your mom's car, so I'll say yes, it was worth doing.
noted for the record.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibong View Post
noted for the record.
Thank you.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Would-be citizen journamalists are noticed

Quote:
[...]
Oh, snap:

Quote:
At this point, I think Althouse has just subcontracted the writing of her blog to Erick Erickson and Jim Hoft and told them to dumb it down a shade.
(h/t: a Go12 agent)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Mickey Kaus makes the short list!

Wisconsin Union thugs try to threaten Althouse and Meade.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/116950/
Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarzan View Post
Wisconsin Union thugs try to threaten Althouse and Meade.

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/116950/
"Try to threaten?"

(*clicks link*) OMG! Someone spoke harshly! And said the F-word! How ever will our poor shrinking violets deal with that???1?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
"Try to threaten?"

(*clicks link*) OMG! Someone spoke harshly! And said the F-word! How ever will our poor shrinking violets deal with that???1?
The guy is identified as Jim Shankman

http://althouse.blogspot.com/search/label/threats
Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The guy is identified as...

And shits like Marzan want to sick an anonymous army on him.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AemJeff View Post
And shits like Marzan want to sick an anonymous army on him.
this sick individual's got worse problems than that.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
... althouse.blogspot.com/search/label/threats
She is in her glory, isn't she?

Looks like her years of vicious personal attacks are finally starting to pay off.

FINALLY, someone is paying attention to her!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
She is in her glory, isn't she?

Looks like her years of vicious personal attacks are finally starting to pay off.

FINALLY, someone is paying attention to her!
I feel sorry for him, just like i feel sorry for bjkeefe. this guy is clearly mentally unstable and unemployed, and thoroughly radicalized by the left. he is like a jihadist for the left wing cause, willing to commit suicide for what he thinks is the greater good. And the Left preys on the young, the hopeless and the professionally unemployed professional activists.

Last edited by johnmarzan; 03-19-2011 at 01:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I feel sorry for him, ... this guy is clearly mentally unstable and unemployed, ...
And yet here you root on a privileged-from-birth parasite who has never known want, who has a cushy job from which she will never be fired, who has spent the better part of the last decade making a hobby of seeking attention by saying every last nasty thing she can dream up, who is now blogging non-stop about a guy who is, in your estimation, "mentally unstable and unemployed," who you "feel sorry for."

It's not even theoretically possible for someone to be more pathetic than the simpering sack of bile-infused suet that is Ann Althouse, but I do have to say, you take a good run at it.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
a guy who is, in your estimation, "mentally unstable and unemployed," who you "feel sorry for."
yes, because like loughner, the guy needs an intervention--either from his loved ones or from the police.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
yes, because like loughner, the guy needs an intervention--either from his loved ones or from the police.
You're basing this on ... what? Althouse's and Dan Riehl's blog posts?

It's instructive to see that you think someone should be imprisoned based on the say-so of two known attention whores who themselves have long records of saying offensive things about a great many other people.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 AM

what offensive things have ann althouse been saying?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:14 AM

Default Forget it, Jake. It's wingnuts.

Quote:
what offensive things have ann althouse been saying?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Forget it, Jake. It's wingnuts.

i'll give you more time to do your research. i want to know what drives leftwingers like bj and that wacko/stalker nuts about althouse.

Last edited by johnmarzan; 03-19-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Mickey Kaus and Matt Lewis have a new co-worker

Yeah. Her.

Previously:

Quote:
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Default 'heads in the Times

Brian Beutler, Ezra Klein, Eli Lake, Annie Lowrey, Andrew Sullivan, Dave Weigel, and Matt Yglesias are name-checked in one of those articles about Teh Bloggers that newspapers for some reason still feel compelled to run.

Zandar simply did not care for this article.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Default Accusations hurled

Megan McArdle and Peter Suderman, and to a slightly lesser degree, David Weigel, are accused of being water-carriers and worse for the Koch brothers. Ezra Klein gets a few finger wags, too.

Mark Ames's piece in Exiled Online, "The Koch-Whore Archipelago: How The Billionaire Kochs Screwed My Scoop While Screwing America," begins with a claim that an investigative piece done by him and Yasha Levine in 2009, that broke the news that the Kochs were behind the astroturfing of the so-called Tea Party movement, was removed from its site by its original publisher, Playboy, in large part due to a disinformation campaign led by Megan. He says that what he and Levine reported has all since come out and become accepted as the truth.

It's over the top, but worth a look.

(h/t: M. Bouffant, who's got a related video)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 03-27-2011 at 09:27 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Re: 'heads in the Times

Quote:
Brian Beutler, Ezra Klein, Eli Lake, Annie Lowrey, Andrew Sullivan, Dave Weigel, and Matt Yglesias are name-checked in one of those articles about Teh Bloggers that newspapers for some reason still feel compelled to run.

Zandar simply did not care for this article.
Zandar has written a follow-up post and I think you should give it a look, and not just because he mentions me.

(One hopes this is not considered an excessively sexist post.)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Zandar has written a follow-up post and I think you should give it a look, and not just because he mentions me.

(One hopes this is not considered an excessively sexist post.)
zandar, day 1 referencing male bloggers: Of course the fact that Pappu can't find a single woman to challenge this all-male boys club meme only makes it all the worse

zandar, day 2 referencing female bloggers: At least in a fair world, it wouldn't matter that they all happen to be women.

ok
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn_karate View Post
zandar, day 1 ...
Not interested in feeding any trolls tonight, sorry.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Not interested in feeding any trolls tonight, sorry.
whatever. post better links than that worthless shit. its not up to your usual standards.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:31 AM

Default I'm going to give Rachel Sklar credit ...

... for intentionally choosing that finger.

Quote:

Rachel Sklar, an advisor to the social media start-up Hashable, takes her iPad to a hot tub.
In any case, it really goes well with the theme of the related article.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Default Congratulations to Henry Farrell ...

... who became an American citizen a few days ago, 13 April 2011.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Oh, hey, look who has a new book coming out!

Pareene has news of two of the main cogs in the RWNM, one of them a B'head:

Quote:
Matt Drudge hypes Jerome Corsi's new birther book