Go Back   Bloggingheads Community > Life, the Universe and Everything
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Life, the Universe and Everything Post comments about everything else here.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Default Hello Wisconsin

Taking it to the streets!

A fitting tune.

Althouse frowns on the freedom (no links from me to her).
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Hello Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz View Post

A fitting tune.

I have nothing substantive to add, but I'd like to compliment the That 70's Show reference, and add that Alex Chilton by the Replacements is much better than anything Alex Chilton did with Big Star.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
Alex Chilton by the Replacements is much better than anything Alex Chilton did with Big Star.
That is one of my favorite Replacements tunes, but I would never disparage Big Star especially when they put out songs like this: Oh My Soul.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Thugs and morons, practicing the politics of intimidation and (in the case of the MIA democrats) cowardice.

Cheers to the left showing what it really is.

Hopefully this will be Armageddon for the teacher's unions. Time to crush them for good.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative View Post
Thugs and morons, practicing the politics of intimidation and (in the case of the MIA democrats) cowardice.

Hopefully this will be Armageddon for the teacher's unions. Time to crush them for good.
Hey, this has morphed into a music thread. Take your authoritarian anti-freedom hate back to your dead thread. Here's a song for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNP5...eature=related
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:

Wow. A little work stoppage and protest marching in response to a know-nothing teabagger trying to roll labor relations back to the nineteenth century and immediately it's "thugs and morons."

But of course ....

Quote:
... violent, eliminationist rhetoric is seen by the operative as perfectly acceptable, when directed at those he does not agree with.

Cheers to the full metal wingnut for showing what he really is.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Hey, this has morphed into a music thread. Take your authoritarian anti-freedom hate back to your dead thread. Here's a song for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNP5...eature=related
LOL! First I've heard of this. Can't wait.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Of course. Peaceful protests against Scott Walker's transparently partisan union-busting constitute "the politics of intimidation." Spare me.

Quote:
Way to stick it to the man, dude. I can hardly think of a more malevolent political force than midwestern public schoolteachers. Bear in mind that when you start talking about public employees in Wisconsin, I think of Marge Gunderson.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Zeko View Post
Of course. Peaceful protests against Scott Walker's transparently partisan union-busting constitute "the politics of intimidation." Spare me.

Way to stick it to the man, dude. I can hardly think of a more malevolent political force than midwestern public schoolteachers. Bear in mind that when you start talking about public employees in Wisconsin, I think of Marge Gunderson.
See, when I think of the police force from "Fargo" I think of Marge's partner Lou, who failed to ascertain that DLR meant dealer plates. "Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou." And Marge Gunderson was from Minnesota, by the way!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwhisoxx View Post
See, when I think of the police force from "Fargo" I think of Marge's partner Lou, who failed to ascertain that DLR meant dealer plates. "Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou." And Marge Gunderson was from Minnesota, by the way!
I know, I know. But come on, I'm from North Carolina. It's all cold up there and the people all say "bag" wrong. I can't be expected to make fine distinctions between Midwesterners when it would prevent me from making such a fun movie reference. And if any Midwesterns are at all bothered by this, I invite you to compare my intelligence unfavorably with a sack of hammers.

Last edited by Don Zeko; 02-18-2011 at 01:29 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:

A fitting tune.

I am starting to wonder whether there is something to that NAFTA superhighway conspiracy theory, because Wisconsin suddenly seems to be importing stupid by the tractor trailer load from Texas.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I know, I know. But come on, I'm from North Carolina. It's all cold up there and the people all say "bag" wrong. I can't be expected to make fine distinctions between Midwesterners when it would prevent me from making such a fun movie reference. And if any Midwesterns are at all bothered by this, I invite you to compare my intelligence unfavorably with a sack of hammers.
Even if you got the state wrong, Fargo references are always welcome. Fargo is one of the best movies of all time.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM

Default "Wisconsin Gov. Walker Ginned Up Budget Shortfall To Undercut Worker Rights"

From occasional B'head Brian Beutler at TPM (emph. added):

Quote:
Wisconsin's new Republican governor has framed his assault on public worker's collective bargaining rights as a needed measure of fiscal austerity during tough times.

The reality is radically different. Unlike true austerity measures -- service rollbacks, furloughs, and other temporary measures that cause pain but save money -- rolling back worker's bargaining rights by itself saves almost nothing on its own. But Walker's doing it anyhow, to knock down a barrier and allow him to cut state employee benefits immediately.

Furthermore, this broadside comes less than a month after the state's fiscal bureau -- the Wisconsin equivalent of the Congressional Budget Office -- concluded that Wisconsin isn't even in need of austerity measures, and could conclude the fiscal year with a surplus. In fact, they say that the current budget shortfall is a direct result of tax cut policies Walker enacted in his first days in office.

[...]
Hat tip to Roy Edroso, who adds some useful commentary.

(pic. source)

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-18-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Default Re: "Wisconsin Gov. Walker Ginned Up Budget Shortfall To Undercut Worker Rights"

Who's the thug-moron again?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Default Re: "Wisconsin Gov. Walker Ginned Up Budget Shortfall To Undercut Worker Rights"

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post
Who's the thug-moron again?
Certainly not the Republican governor of Wisconsin!

Quote:
Wisconsin Protests: State Police Pursue Democratic Lawmakers Boycotting Vote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 PM

I think goes well beyond not letting a crisis go to waste.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkeefe View Post
Wow. A little work stoppage and protest marching in response to a know-nothing teabagger trying to roll labor relations back to the nineteenth century and immediately it's "thugs and morons."
Yes, it is thugs--the people who are showing up at the homes of lawmakers. And it is morons--the college kids who don't even know why they're there.

Quote:
... violent, eliminationist rhetoric is seen by the operative as perfectly acceptable, when directed at those he does not agree with.
There's nothing violent about it. Teacher's unions have been a disaster for the American education system and it's time to destroy the public-sector unions. The unions are trying to hold the state hostage and in doing so, they're showing themselves to be exactly the sort of legalized mobsters that conservatives have long recognized them to be.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What else would you call thugs who show up at lawmakers' homes?

Quote:

Teachers unions exist to keep bad teachers in jobs and prevent good teachers from being paid better. They're a cancer on society. We need plenty of changes in our education system--longer school days, longer school years. And a demolishing of the teachers unions.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Teabaggers?

Oh, wait, I forgot. IOKIYAR.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
You might actually have an argument if you'd resist crude, dehumanizing terminology. But that's too much for a crass Neanderthal such as yourself.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You might actually have an argument if you'd resist crude, dehumanizing terminology. But that's too much for a crass Neanderthal such as yourself.
The truth is, my argument so effectively demolishes your talking point that you are reduced to whimpering about a term your side was dumb enough to pick for itself.

I'll also observe your heavy use of violent, eliminationist rhetoric, in this thread as elsewhere, and encourage you to contemplate that thing about motes, beams, and eyes.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-18-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The truth is, my argument so effectively demolishes your talking point that you are reduced to whimpering about a term your side was dumb enough to pick for itself.
Exactly how does it "demolish" my argument?

My argument is this: showing up at the homes of legislators is thuggery.

Your response is this: Ur guyz do it!!!

Sorry, not quite demolishing my point there, BJ. Good luck next time.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly how does it "demolish" my argument?
You asked what else besides "thugs" we should call people who show up at a legislator's house to protest. I proposed another term, recalling an instance you applauded when it was your guys doing it. The exposure of your hypocrisy is thus how your talking point was demolished.

Your petulance, not to mention your pathetic attempt at snidely declaring victory, is an admission that this is so.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-18-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You asked what else besides "thugs" we should call people who show up at a legislator's house to protest. I proposed another term, recalling an instance you applauded when it was your guys doing it.
Where did I applaud it?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
What thugs? How many? Which lawmakers? Give me a link. And so long as the protests are non-violent, and I've heard nothing to say that they are, I don't see what the big deal is. These legislators are engaging in a nakedly partisan union-busting campaign that has nothing to do with the state's budget deficit. I think they can deal with a few people on their lawns with signs.

Quote:
Teachers unions exist to keep bad teachers in jobs and prevent good teachers from being paid better. They're a cancer on society. We need plenty of changes in our education system--longer school days, longer school years. And a demolishing of the teachers unions.
Teachers Unions exist to keep good teachers from being paid better? If getting better pay for good teachers without harming the rest, then I'm sure that Teachers Unions would support it. But that's not the deal on offer and never has been. Also, would you kindly explain to me why teachers unions are a blight on america, but firefighters and police officers unions aren't?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Where did I applaud it?
Honkie, please. Do not deny that you were filled with admiration for the teabagger antics during the HCR debate. And at minimum, if you did not, on this site (not that I can be bothered to look), applaud this specific act, you certainly did not ever condemn it or anything else like it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
What thugs? How many? Which lawmakers? Give me a link. And so long as the protests are non-violent, and I've heard nothing to say that they are, I don't see what the big deal is. These legislators are engaging in a nakedly partisan union-busting campaign that has nothing to do with the state's budget deficit. I think they can deal with a few people on their lawns with signs.

Teachers Unions exist to keep good teachers from being paid better? If getting better pay for good teachers without harming the rest, then I'm sure that Teachers Unions would support it. But that's not the deal on offer and never has been. Also, would you kindly explain to me why teachers unions are a blight on america, but firefighters and police officers unions aren't?
The problem is that the TU have explicitly said that they will not support merit-based pay. And, they continue to defend horrible teachers. If I recall the stats correctly (just saw Waiting for Superman), 1 in 74 doctors will lose their license. 1 in 94 lawyers will lose their license. Yet only 1 in 2500 get fired.

As for the protesters going to homes, here's one reference:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/us/17wisconsin.html
Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Honkie, please. Do not deny that you were filled with admiration for the teabagger antics during the HCR debate. And at minimum, if you did not, on this site (not that I can be bothered to look), applaud this specific act, you certainly did not ever condemn it or anything else like it.
lol so, being that you are utterly devoid of any supporting evidence, you turn to the standard talking points. Try again when you can actually support your arguments. Unlike you, I don't hold different standards for my side and the opposition. Showing up at the homes of legislators is thuggery.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
lol so, being that you are utterly devoid of any supporting evidence, you turn to the standard talking points. Try again when you can actually support your arguments.
I notice you do not deny the central point: that you approved of protesters going to legislators' houses when it was teabaggers doing it, and only condemn it when the legislators are Republicans. I've given you several opportunities here to walk back your own hypocrisy, by saying that you would also describe Hateway Pundit and his crew as thugs. You have not done so.

Once again, your pathetic attempts to be snide indicate that you can't respond to the truth of this main point.

Last edited by bjkeefe; 02-18-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I notice you do not deny the central point: that you approved of protesters going to legislators' houses when it was teabaggers doing it, and only condemn it when the legislators are Republicans.
No, that is simply false and you are either intentionally lying or too dumb to realize it. I'm guessing the latter.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
No, that is simply false and you are either intentionally lying or too dumb to realize it. I'm guessing the latter.
Once again, your pathetic attempts to be snide indicate that you can't respond to the truth of the main point: you only condemn protesters as "thugs" when they're not on your side.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Once again, your pathetic attempts to be snide indicate that you can't respond to the truth of the main point: you only condemn protesters as "thugs" when they're not on your side.
Actually I made it abundantly clear that I believe that showing up at the homes of legislators is thuggery, no matter who does it. Unlike you, who only condemns people on the right.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Actually I made it abundantly clear that I believe that showing up at the homes of legislators is thuggery, no matter who does it. Unlike you, who only condemns people on the right.
Ah, the tooth has finally been pulled!

You did not actually make it "abundantly clear," or even give the slightest hint that you believed so until just now, but I am delighted to hear you describe Hateway Pundit's actions as "thuggery."
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the TU have explicitly said that they will not support merit-based pay. And, they continue to defend horrible teachers. If I recall the stats correctly (just saw Waiting for Superman), 1 in 74 doctors will lose their license. 1 in 94 lawyers will lose their license. Yet only 1 in 2500 get fired.
This is pretty weak tea for your contention that they defend horrible teachers. I also fail to see why the fact that teachers unions want to make their members' jobs more secure makes them a cancer on American society or means that they shouldn't have collective bargaining rights.

While we're talking unions, I'd like to ask you something. Do you believe that unionization can ever be a good thing? Should any workers, public or private, have collective bargaining rights? Are there any unions that you think have had a salutary effect on society?

Quote:
As for the protesters going to homes, here's one reference:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/us/17wisconsin.html
Fair enough, some protesters have gone to homes of lawmakers. If I were in Wisconsin I'd head to the state capitol building myself, but this doesn't strike me as particularly problematic. And it certainly isn't enough to justify writing off everyone that's protesting as thugs. This is democracy in action, buddy. Deal with it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
This is pretty weak tea for your contention that they defend horrible teachers.
Are you familiar with teachers unions? This is what they do. They fight for all teachers jobs. In Milwaukee, they forced a principle to rehire teachers who were caught on video NOT teaching.
There are plenty of stories like this:
http://www.projo.com/education/conte...1.3a65218.html

Except lacking individuals having the courage to stand up to the teachers unions. There's the tragedy of Fenty's defeat in DC and the destruction of all that he and Rhee were working toward.

Quote:
I also fail to see why the fact that teachers unions want to make their members' jobs more secure makes them a cancer on American society or means that they shouldn't have collective bargaining rights.
We're dealing with the education of children. As it stands now, teachers get tenure after one year, making it virtually impossible to fire them. Even if it is overwhelmingly demonstrated that they are not good at their job, they can not be fired. As a result, their students suffer. Why do you support this??

We need merit-based pay. There's no way around this. We need to fire bad teachers. Teachers unions will fight this to the death. They've proven that.
Quote:
While we're talking unions, I'd like to ask you something. Do you believe that unionization can ever be a good thing? Should any workers, public or private, have collective bargaining rights? Are there any unions that you think have had a salutary effect on society?
I think that private sector unions accomplished some very reasonable things but that by and large their time has come and gone. I'm not necessarily opposed to CB for private sector companies, but I am absolutely, utterly opposed to public sector unions.

Quote:
Fair enough, some protesters have gone to homes of lawmakers. If I were in Wisconsin I'd head to the state capitol building myself, but this doesn't strike me as particularly problematic. And it certainly isn't enough to justify writing off everyone that's protesting as thugs. This is democracy in action, buddy. Deal with it.
I don't view this as democracy whatsoever. This is union thuggery. This is a special interest group trying to shut down the government to prevent a law from being passed through the democratic process. That's not even getting into the cowardly fleabaggers currently using taxpayer funds to hang out outside of the state.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I don't view this as democracy whatsoever... This is a special interest group trying to shut down the government to prevent a law from being passed through the democratic process...
Wow. Interesting how quickly freedom of speech, the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, democratic principles and the American people go down the drain when they are in the wrong side of operative's political views.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
"There's A Riot Going On!"
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Wow. Interesting how quickly freedom of speech, the Constitution, the Founding Fathers, democratic principles and the American people go down the drain when they are in the wrong side of operative's political views.
I don't like these types of street protests. I believe that I've said that before on here. I don't care for them when they're on my side and yes, I care for them even less when they're opposing my side.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I don't like these types of street protests. I believe that I've said that before on here. I don't care for them when they're on my side and yes, I care for them even less when they're opposing my side.
What exactly is it that you don't like about them?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Let's not forget the call for civility:

Quote: